Training for under 40mins in the Eastleigh 10k

1161718192022»

Comments

• Ah this may be as good a place to post as any,,, image

I remember about 2/3 years back having a thread going with Stevie G about breaking 1hr25 for the 1/2marathon - from there we took slightly different routes: Stevie G achieved it and went on to better and faster things I injured myself took 3months off went back to uni and have only really just started back in consistent running.

Posting here because I have just started running to a training plan and got some solid miles in in the last 4 weeks and am now closing in rapidly on a 40min 10k again.  Also running 1/2maras and dare I dream of 1hr25 again? (was going to try for Sept but that may be pushing it)

Last week I ran a mid-week 15miler @8min/mile pace then 2 days later ran a 5miler in 18.58s (fastest in 3yrs) and that includes a 1km hill (ok I come back down the hill!).  The next day I ran just short of 6miles in 38.45, which is quite a way off 40min 10k BUT (I like big buts and I cannot lie image) the run is very hilly (Watership Downs) so I can take time off on a flat course.

I'm running a 1/2 on Sunday and stuck between going all out to try and break 1hr30 and being conservative with a 1hr 32-33 which will still be the fastest since my first ever 1/2.

The advice and the support on here is really good and I was hoping I may be able to use it to help! Oh and of course I will be more than happy to reciprocate (not sure about the advice though... I ran a race with a fractured foot once image)

• Welcome 0ops! Good luck with your half.
  • I've decided to go for the 1:30 - if it goes a bit wrong I can stagger the last couple of miles! Bit of pasta love going on today!

• Had a very patchy week of training this week.

mon: rest

tue: 1m warm up, 6 x 400m @74sec with 2min recoveries, 1m warm down. (was meant to be 10 reps but a bit pressed for time.

wed: 7m easy 52.48 

thurs: 2m easy, 3 miles @ 6.40 ( meant to be my normal session of 4miles @ tempo pace but felt very heavy legged and was massively off the pace so cut the sesssion short)

fri: 5k easy approx 23min (still feeling sluggish)

sat: rest

sun: not sure yet may do an easy 4miler later

• good luck oops!

MR: Patchy but still fairly decent stuff! Looks a hell of a lot better than mine this last week or two.
  • Well if I'd run my 1/2 with even a modicum of pacing common sense I'd have been much quicker... 6m30 is a bit quick for the 1st mile.

I ran 1hr34 and change but now know with better pacing could have run 1hr32... this has given me a very nice starting point to build from and actually rather happy as I was tempted to drop out when it got tough image.

Aim now is under 1hr28 by Cardiff 1/2 in October. 

MR I agree with Squall still fairly decent and atleast you listened to your body and eased up a bit.

So do people have any major autumn race targets currently or just looking for steady improvement?

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
     Been doing various non-running things like swimming, gym and cycling but back running again from tomorrow. Suppose to be running the BUPA Great Manchester Run but had no race pack etc so waiting for them to email me back image. Having no pain or aches from my hip at all for about a week but got to hope that it will stay that way when Im running!
  • You'll definitely get under 1'28' by October 0ops.

I'm desperate to get back on it properly... running every day used to give me real buzz. Even running twice a day.
  • Squall sorry about this but I kind of stole this type of thread and made one myself image
    Though your not getting all the glory image

SA, keep the cross training on rest days or maybe even subsitute one running day for swimming or cycling. Hip pain comes from wear and tear so maybe you need to give it a bit of time to introduce more miliage?

• I think this thread is coming to a close in all honesty, much as my Victory 5 thread did.

I shall fix on a race for later in the year and start a new thread to follow it in due course.

In the meantime, I shall plague your thread... and perpetuate the base phase thread with my nonsense.

Now where the bloody hell did Yifter go....
  • I've been wondering that aswell. I reckon RW has banned him for his verbal abuse towards Wanna Do image

He's probably on a long vacation, he'll be back!

• If that's the true, then Wanna Do is getting murdered.
  • Hey Squall, I realise i am being very naive here, what was the race around Netley Vic Park today? Being lazy and guess you know the answer.
  • It was the Southampton Running Club 10 (Netley Abbey 10k)
  • This thread is so dead! Read back to the first ten pages, what a thread! Sorry to kill it off image
  • I don't know... talk to yourself enough and someone else will probably turn up.