Training for under 40mins in the Eastleigh 10k

Comments

•  Could I run 31:22 for 5M  (road) as a Vet50 on 25 miles a month with NO  sessions ?

• Ouch! 5 miles worth of 5k pace!!!
  • Pulled something in my back. No training since tuesday.
  • Did a very gentle trot of 4 miles round. Back still stiff.
  • Im up early to run a 5k race at 9am over at Bramhall Park, Stockport. Its one of the many parkrun events that are on every week. Theres quite a lot of incline and declines. I managed 22mins 19 secs in my first race there so hoping to go sub 22mins today.
  • I really fancy giving one of those a go. The Basingstoke one probably.

Good luck Matt, let us know how you get on.
  •  Well Im back and managed 21 mins 47 secs. Went a bit quick through the first kilometre (excitement obviously got to me). The last kilometre I ran in about 4mins 20secs and that included a quick finish through the last 200metres. But overall very pleased to have chopped 30secs off my 5k time at this course and down to 45secs outside my 5k pb (achieved on a much flatter course which is all on firm roads).

Would definitely recommend the parkrun's if there all like the Bramhall Park one because the marshals are very encouraging and supportive considering there up early every Saturday to help organise this free event.

Trying to decide whether a should have an easy 5mile jog tomorrow or push on with some intervals at the gym?

• Very well done sir. I'm considering the Kingston one as well. I love the idea of it, and there's usually so few 5k's around.

How about 2 x 5 mile easy jogs tomorrow?
  •  Sounds like a good idea.Im off work on Monday and Tuesday so gonna try and do some miles on those days. Probably going to sneak in one more of these 5K's before my half marathon on 15th March.

Hows the stiff back today Paul??

• The pain's gone, but my mobility still isn't there. Just went out for 4 miles and found it okay.

Gonna try an easy 10k later as well.

Yeah use your days off to stack up the running when you've got time to have naps and so on.
  • Just breezed round a steady but hilly 10k. Did it in 52'09", feeling pleasantly tired at the end, but like I could've done another.

I'll see how my back stands up to a longer effort tomorrow.
  •  Im quite tired today after my 5k race yesterday and then a busy day yesterday and a full day of shopping in Liverpool. Think Im just gonna take it easy for 4miles and save myself for 2 runs tomorrow on my day off.
  • Good plan. Days off are perfect for doubles and long runs.
  •  Main reason Im having two runs is that for the afternoon run is with my girlfriend which will be a bit slower or shorter than I would want after an easy day today. So I have my own run in the morning then a bit extra in the afternoon.
  • Haven't trained since Sunday... other than getting to level 11 on the bleep test on monday morning!

Very busy right now.
  •  Ran 12 miles today to get my long run out of the way before I go back to work tomorrow. Did it in around 1hr 35mins (didnt actually time it) and felt great afterwards. Probably a recovery run tomorrow ahead of a tempo run and 5aside football on Thursday.
  • I leave my house at 8am... and im lucky if i'm home much before 6! After doing night shifts full-time for 5 and a half months its definitely taking some adapting to.

Also it's all classroom based... where all my previous jobs have been physical/active.

We'll see! The bone in my left foot hurts rather a lot when I run at the moment, so I think my ill-judged doubles might have been over-doing it.

I'll have a rest from now till the Winchester 10k. Might do a circuits class with the police tomorrow night though.
  • What's that bone called? It's under your big toe. Anyway its hurting a lot now, even when walking. I don't know whether its footwear.. or last week's high mileage or what. But i'm not liking it.

10 mins rowing and 10 mins cycling using an HIIT protocol tonight (90s on/90s rest)
  • i,m running 5 to 6 times aweek my best 10k is 45.46 i,m doing about 35 miles and weighs twice a week is its ok to do weighs or will it stop my progress can some one help plesae.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Soulmate, I feel that weights have helped me. I do lowish weights with high reps, so not too much bulk, but I feel stronger and seem to run better. Make sure you do squats and lunges for your legs.

I am still amazed that people run 35 plus miles a week, I do about 2 runs a week, 3 max. So my average mileage is about 15-20 miles a week on a good week. I also think that rest is important, well I feel it is at my age! I have my first 10K of the year (my third in total) in 2 weeks, It will be interesting to see how I do, but I feel I will run better in the summer after I have a few more miles in the legs.

• thank you marty b for your help can u tell me how manys days you do weighs a week and is it the same work out .i,m 51 day what your pb 4 10k thank u soulmate
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Soulmate, I do a class called body pump in the gym, it is basically about 5 mins on each muscle (or as long as the song lasts!), so 5 mins on bicep curls, or bench press, squats, lunges, shoulders etc, for 1h total, with also some ab work too. I do this once a week normally, but I also do a set of free weight, normally once a week also, so no more than 2 or 3 mild weights sessions a week. For my own sessions I do mainly free weights, just using bumb bells and a bar, also do press-ups, normal and narrow grip, tricep dips and things like that. I do feel better for it.

My 10K PB is 42 minutes from last summer, it was a very flat and fast course, my 2nd was 43 mins on a very hilly course. But I feel that any improvement on this will probably require a little more structure to my training, like some speed work to speed me up.

• Hi all.

Sounds like quite a few of you are simliar paced to me. so might be able to help...

I ran my first proper 10k last week in 42.57 (was aiming for sub 45). I would love to go sub 40mins within too long, but feel (like Marty B) i would need a lot more structure in my training. Any advice to break the 40min mark would be great...

Currently i do one speed session a week, 1 or 2 long runs (11-13miles) depending on whether i played footie or not and two cross training / weights sessions a week. Plus short runs if i can fit them in.

• Hmmmm... I need a drastic re-schedule of my running to fit around a week where i'm either travelling to work and from work or at work for 50 hours of my week.