Sunday 14th November

We got everything you want
Honey we know the names....

Morning all.

Gobi - Is much of the course on grass?

What: 10.73m on the bike in 47:12 (13.6mph average) - I'll never make a cyclist (though in fairness it's my first time on a bike in anger in years and I'm not pushing through the pedals).
1 hour of aqua jogging, with a few efforts (finished with a '1 mile' and '1.5 mile' hard reps).
Both d&d
Maybe some core and weights later.

Best day's x-training so far.

Have a good day folks.

Comments

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all from a foggy and grim sevenoaks.

Good one Tipp Top

yesterday's lyric was "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush.

What: 7.8 miles done
    Why: it's sunday
    Last hard: getting up for that
    Last rest: 1 week

I had a dreadful night's sleep last night - restless and lots of dreams.  Clink - you were in one dream; can't recall the details but I woke myself up shouting! 

Fambly over for lunch today so some wine may be consumed....

• Morning All

TT: What sort of bike are you riding?

What: 5 miles at a trot when I get home
    Why: Tired
    last Hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 9.11.08

Have to go to the Central post office in a moment, my new racing Zipp wheels are here....Its called buy your own chrissy present, collect your own chrissy present, wife wraps it!

• Some of the very best sort however, DD.

Been not around on the PC for much of the week, end of term wreckage and all that.  I did get out for three runs, counting today's aborted attempt.   Got out for a run with TmR on Monday.  Lovely to have a natter and lunch, but the run itself did nothing for confidence.  It was shabby hard work.  Wednesday's effort with some students from the department was worse; one of them was ignorant of the etiquette of the Wednesday runs (don't leave the little old lady too far behind).  By Thursday I was beginning to feel outright ill; subfeverish and (very) irritable.  It was only yesterday that I twigged that it was the usual post term return of the old trouble, and as usual, anti-imflams made a big difference to mobility and temper.  Not enough however to make running today possible.  Even walking was intermittent.  But, we have been here so so many times, that at least I don't panic so much anymore.  It's just tedious waiting for mobility to come back.

Might get to read back at least.

Take care all.

• Hi folks

Some good racing going on.  and well done to Tipptop, getting into the aquajogging.  I had several weeks of it a few years ago, and found the only thing to do was rep type sessions every time, of different duration.  But I know one of the local coaches swears by it, reckons that if you really work at it, you can get back to racing shape in no time at all.

Stickless I thought you were running pretty well, and able to talk at the same time.  I wouldn't have been running much faster anyhow.

While others are getting into marathon build-up mode, I'm still recovering from the last one.  So it was rather silly to think I'd be able to race well over 10ml (Sneyd Christmas Pudding Run) today, despite a good (short) XC race last w/e.  I started well enough, and kept my HR above where I'd expect to be able to maintain it for 10ml, but rather ran out of legs in the last 3 or 4 miles,. On the basis of my marathon time I'd expected to be 2 or 3 mins quicker.  Somehow managed to be 1st W50 though!

• Afternoon all,

TMR:  Well done on the 1st place, even if the time wasn't what you expected.

it's definitly too quiet, carouthers on here lateley.

• What:  21m.  Felt grotty for te first five or six, tehn seemed to pick up so turned into a nice P&D style progression run.
    • Why:  It's Sunday
    • Last Hard:  Thursday
    • Last Rest:  18 days

Have a good one!

• Congrats on the 1st W50, newly vet F55! 

Able to talk and run last Monday - yes, but the pain in the butt (sciatica) level was too high.  One of the nice things about this autumn has been that there have been times when it wasn't quite such a feat of will to run. It didn't hurt, even running with the youngsters, and it ididn't tire me unduly over short distances.  I got excited about the possibility of resuming something like systematic training with improvement.  When the butt pain and stiffness comes back, even if I've got the puff, even if the heart is willing, it takes a large expenditure of will to make the legs work.  I was/am a bit discouraged because for the moment at least, the ouch factor is again quite high, this morning impossibly high, even if the run is reasonably short.  That's what interrupts the regular running and consequent progress; when it costs too much to do even the little bits.

However, it's the beginning of hols.  I am optimistic.  Today didn't work.  I will try again tomorrow.

Take care,

• Stickless - sorry to hear that. My Mum suffers with sciatica as well, so I have an idea how painful and frustrating it can be.

TmR - well done on 1st in the 10miler. Nice one image

DD - a cheapy £60 mountain bike (that was the cost new, so it'll give you an idea how rubbish it is). It'll do the job.

• Afternoon folks.

A couple of tiny threads this last couple of days...where is everyone?

As expected, yesterday morning's run was ditched (actually, yesterday morning was ditched!) Woke up after midday with an absolutely raging hangover, so there was no chance of a run happening.

Kept awake during last night with some terrible heartburn/indigestion, a result of the last couple of days of rubbish food and drink, so it was a tired runner who headed out with a group of clubmates this morning...an excellent run in the local country park and on part of the West Highland Way. Plenty of ups and downs, some serious mud, a few icy stretches and some good banter...a bit of everything really. Very enjoyable. Covered 15.9 miles, with about 1500ft of ascent and descent in 2hrs 7mins. Longest run for a while.

Just chillin' now with a glass of wine watching the footy. Most pleasant and civilised!

Have a great evening.

• TT: well that explains why you aren't exactly setting any speed records, my bike cost a little more than that! In fact the wheels which arrived today cost considerabley more than that!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TT, enough mud to make it awkward if really wet.

What: piss poor 10km in 35.40 for 7th place + a few miles d&d
    10 ish PM at an easy pace
    Why: piss poor as I am a fat bastard, 5 weeks since the 100km and 2 weeks of high mileage. Slow heavy lazy uncomfortable CRAP.
    Last hard: todays reality trip
    Last rest: 5th December
  • What: 25 mins off road.
    Why: because I needed to...first run for a week.
    Last hard: today, despite slow pace...still lots of niggles all over legs. Really struggled, but this may have been because I ran almost straight after driving 200 plus miles to fetch eldest from uni.

Somewhat envious of the guys above who ran almost as many miles as I did minutes.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening all. Hope you're all well and enjoying the build-up to Christmas.

Had a cracking day out at the Bedford Half today. Would thoroughly recommend this race. Superbly well organised, great marshalling, friendly and a big turn-out. Was really happy to nail-down a PB on a challenging (although not quite as tough as Keyworth course) to round out my 1/2M runs for the year.

Have a good 'un.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Gobi.. given what you usually put yourself through, a few weeks disguised as a porker is a worthy indulgence. Nice run anyway.

Nice long run AF.

Scobos.. sonds like a decent run to blow away the cobwebs!

Stickless.. not sure if it's relevant but I reckon that temperatures like these tend to highlight old injuries, niggles & war wounds. Hope you can get some relief from it.

Last night.. 10m steady running commute home on a cycle track parallel to a dual carriageway in the rain. Not the most memorable run I've ever done.

Today.. 10m again though somewhat more structured. Started with 3m easy then 6 x 800m in av. 2:54, 90 secs recoveries. 4m easy warm down.

On the subject of quiet DT threads.. I remember a couple of years ago some Sunday threads would attract 150 - 200 posts. That was the other extreme - sometimes I simply did not have enough time to read the whole thread!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cross post MM, very well done on the PB. If the conditions are good at the flat Brass Monkey course you might well bag another!
  • Gobi - oh to be so crap!! Good stuff - maybe you need to do some nice easy miles again.

AF - another nice long run done - well done.

TMR - 1st W50 - can't be bad especially if you are now 55!

Stickless - you are getting out there - good stuff. I remember words from one of our best older runners here, "better to wear out, than rust out".

Dubai Dave - don't think I said anything about your great 23 miles run in the desert - sounded fab.

Tipp Top  - the enthusiasm is still good - keep it up. Everytime I type Tipp Top, I want to type Tip Top - our most common brand name for ice-cream.

What: Saturday - a couple of hours in the bushtracks with mates. Think they chose the bushtrack run, as they can walk most of it!

Sunday - Veteran's track meet - 1500m  6.23 and 3000m 13.31, not official - hope I might gain a second image Both slack times, but all that I could do. Very hot,  and quite windy. I've either got some work to do, or just forget about it and just enjoy running slowly.

Good running everyone

• Marmite - well done - what was your time?

Wardi - nice reps.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    NZC.. good effort on the track, hope you get on the podium.

TMR.. missed you out dammit. Very well done on 1st V50!

Marmite was 9th in 72:33.

Those of you who get Athletics Weekly may have seen this already - in the Ageo City half marathon in Japan I had to blink when I saw the results..

1st... 62:50
    10th.. 63:53
    25th.. 64:20
    50th.. 64:45
    100th.. 65:28
    200th.. 66:43
    300th.. 68:09
    400th.. 69:48
    500th.. 72:59

Read it and weep indeed!
  • Thanks for that Wardi.

Great running Marmite.

See what competition can do for you! Just imagine living there. You would have to train hard to be respectable.

I always remember thinking that the courses in the States must be short, when I read how fast some of the races were run in, until I went there and realised, that by the pure volume of runners, you would really have to work hard to get a decent placing. I think that's a problem for some of our runners here. We think we're pretty good, but the competition is not very deep. You get in a race like that - there are no gaps between runners!

• hello

Still here

after last weeks cancelled mara and my crap "training", ive not been feeling like posdting(job a bit hard too)

Anyway, Hastings mara was tough(hills, a mile of shingle) but SUPERBLY  organised

they should be proud

I was walking by mile 3, but somehow managed my fourth ever fastest mara time at 4.34.30(I was on for a sub 4.30, but the shingle finished me off)

Oh, and my streak is now at 1002 days

If i can do that after the shite week i have had, on that course, then i need to see what i can do with trainin g, and stop messing about

I need a head sort, and ill be bak when i can post some decent trainingike you lot do

x

• well done marmite and TMR

Stixckless, the cold is making my groins hurt, thats an old injury

• Great stuff, marmite, TMR and Hippo!

What:  7.5 steady easy in the mud at the nature reserve, dodging a coachload of twitchers with tripods, telescopes etc. 

Why: What passes as a long run at the moment.  Building up by a mile or so a week, although did another 7 earier in the week, so rather getting ahead of myself

Last hard - YEsterday - Five hard miles through mud and hills - despite terrain, one of my fastest post-baby runs - seem to now have the fitness to push myself hard again

Last rest:  Thursday

mileage this week - 26.5 - low in the great scheme of things , but my highest post-baby mileage week, and I think my highest mileage week since April or so.  Yay!

• Evening, well done to you Hippo for that marathon effort, the shingle sounds horrific!

Stickless - I know about sciatica, I've been suffering from it since September and don't know if it's from stopping running or just another war wound from 10 years of running (thought it'd only been 8, but was wrong)! I have toi keep stretching my glutes every chance I can, before and after runs or just in general. Hmm, I can live with that, I guess!

Wardi - nice to see you're still treading the slabs, are you marathoning again?

Lyrics: yes, G 'N' R, at a guess, think it's 'Welcome to the Jungle'?

What: 7M on the treadie then lots of stretching with stomach exercises on a swiss ball.
    Why: too cold to go outside and topping off the weekly mileage to 20M
    Last hard: Thurs night

Actually achieved my highest weekly mileage since July and enjoying it again. I've met my weekly target of 20M and can trot nicely at 8.20m/m pace, so the base training is working a treat.

• Wardi,
    Cracking set of reps, good man.

I'd have made the top 500 at Ageo image There's been a helluvathread about this race over on letsrun.com

PH,
    Superb running, another belting mara.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Well dones to PH, MM and TMR

What - 12m
    Why - LSR
    Last hard - Yesterday
    Last Rest - Fri

Take care

• MMMmmmarmite - lovely to see you. I got my pb at Bedford, and remember it as a very nice half. (Came within 5 min of beating my GP which would have been sweet, however, not to be, and not likely now.)

PH - Once again, bravo, and yes, I think it will be very interesting to see what you would end up running with the sort of systematic training that some of these people do. Not sure it is compatible with the job you've got though. Your training, though unconventional is probably fairly effective already. I'll be watching.

NZC - hope you made it to the podium. Those short distancy things are scary. Well done. And indeed. never did like rusting.

I'm pretty sure the sciatica is just the present chapter in the old story, and every reason to hope it will simply some day not be a problem. Running might get canned until Wed pm as life has got a bit complicated.