Netherthong 10K (08/09/02)

My first road race for some considerable time. I had done it twice before but, like most really unpleasant experiences, had obliterated the course from my consciousness. The day was perfect for running, warm but with a light breeze. There was good parking. I arrived in good time and met some old friends. I was carrying no injuries and had trained consistently for over a month. The course was amongst some of the most beautiful scenery in West Yorkshire. The marshals and onlookers were wonderfully supportive.So what was the problem? 1)My first road race for some time: I just was not race fit. I suddenly realised that my threshold runs had not been even close to what should have been my race speed. 2)The beautiful scenery. A great deal of it is in the vertical rather than the horizontal plane. There are three climbs, mile one, mile three and from mile five to the end. Having said which - I fully intend to go back next year and do it again.

Comments

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Wurzel, I drive over that way quite a lot. It's a great place for the scenery. Maybe not the best event for your comeback, however well done for finishing and adopting such a positive attitude.

What made you come back into running again?
  • Swimming! Bizarre isn't it? Both of my children are club swimmers and my son won a bronze at the national age group championships this year. At the beginning of the year I decided that as I am condemned to spending a great deal of time at swimming pools I really ought to learn to swim properly, not just a feeble head-up breaststroke. I enrolled in adult beginners class and was horrified to find myself puffed out after a width of freestyle drowning. Time, thought I, to resurrect my running career. I now know that my exhaustion was a consequence of pathetic technique rather than lack of fitness, but as a consequence I have entered the New Forest Marathon, improved my training, gave up smoking four weeks ago (after 29 years of self-poisoning)and generally improved my diet and lifestyle. Thanks for asking because in answering I have, for the first time, realised just how many positive things that have happened.
    There are many good races in this area, have you done any?
  • Is this thread for real or a wind-up?

When I saw Netherthong 10k by Wurzel, I assumed it was someone having a laugh.

Sorry if I was wrong. Gotcha, if I am right.
  • I can understand Snoop's incredulity. The names of some of the places, and races, in this part of the world can tend to the bizarre. If Netherthong sounds like a dodgy garment, what might one infer about (next Saturdays)Penistone Hill Race? What of the immortal Percy Pud 10K? Fell races tend to have even sillier names - The Trunce, for instance.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Wurzel, I thought about the Penistone 10k but have decided to do the Woodhall Spa 10k the following weekend instead. Subject to my wife's approval the Percy Pud could also be on my list for this year.

I would imagine that fell races round that area are extremely tough.
  • At least they don't call it the Penistone 'thon.

The only race down our way (Kent) to touch it would be the Margate Milky White Thighs Christmas Trot 10K.
  • snoop, if you go to multimap.co.uk and put in hd8 as a postcode, then click to move the map to the left , you'll see a full range of 'thongs at your disposal
  • Hi Fraggle.

I'm still waitng for the site to download - been 15 mins so far, and only have a quarter of it.

Can't wait till I get broadband!