Options

Trollers Trot 24

Comments

• Options

...A bit confused, now! The route seems to go from Burley Woodhead right through the built up bit of Menston, then veer off inexplicably into the woods (the 'above stile' bit)  then double back for a couple of hundred yards to regain the footpath to Yorkgate quarry...is that right, or have I got lost before I start?!

Am I right in thinking that the route between checkpoints is up to the individual, meaning I could get lost in the streets of darkest Menston?!

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Mick - there is an official route and they usually send a map of the bit through menston with a route description and your runner number when you enter. After Burley Woodhead you run across fields to pop out in Menston and the route is reasonable staightforward. You run down main street and turn first left then first right into Fairfax Road. About 100m down you take a ginnel over the railway line and come out on the A65. Turn right here and cross the road to another ginnel that takes you through to Ellar Gardens which lead to the Otley Road by Ellar Ghyll recycling. There is a footpath which goes up across the fields to bring you out just below the Chevin pub. Here you run aloing the road to the bottom of the Chevin almost into Otley. You then go straight up the side of the Chevin following a footpath to 'Above stile' and carry on up some steps before bearing left to Yorkgate quarry.

• Options

Hi all,

Podro - 18.5m sounds like you are in fine form for RS, are you doing TT as well then ?

James - I did just under 5 hrs on TT last year, some steep climbs etc.  (for reference if it helps I did 4.15 for Windermere mara shortly after, 1.43 for GNR), RS is meant to be similar distance but understand it's more like 22m.  I'm not an LDWA member but there are quite a few forumites I have come across who enjoy their events.

bobo - sorry, not had cause to use any B&B's around here.  See lots of signs but don't know if they are any good. 

Mick - Menston bit does look a bit odd but will be through it pretty quick and it is fairly simple (goes around 200 yds from my house so could be a useful refuel point for me !)

(Bit of speed training with club Tues and managed 9m run home from work ok yesterday complete with heavy pack - though Hollins HIll was a bit slow for those that know it - so thinking I might actually be fit for Trollers yet...  )

• Options

Evening All!!

Good news about your form Wharfy, if you've managed 9 with a heavy pack you should easily be able to rebuild your mileage before TT.. there's nothing worse than having to slow yourself down so you don't re-injure, sounds like your balancing it just right image i reckon you and i may well be running at roughly the same pace if your hitting the same form you had last year, we'll have to meet up and see if we pace similarly from the start if you fancy it? either way i'll see you for that pint after, Podro i think you may well get back before me... so i reckon it'll be your round!! image

i'm finding the speed training bloody hard at the mo, trying to lower my resting pace to 8 min miles for a 3.5hr mara at london, did 7 miles with 2x1mile intervals at 7 mins with 800 jogs and absolutely paggered myself for the rest of the run... got 11 miles to run in the morning and a weights set on legs and back in the evening... yay! lol!

• Options

Happy to meet up James and see how it goes.  By the way where is your image of ?  Looks interesting.

The pub afterwards in Threshfield is pretty good.

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Looks like I can't do Trollers Trot now. I will be away that weekend for work image

Still doing Rombald's though. A cheeky pint in Cooper's afterwards might be in order.

Wharfy - I finish my long runs up Hollins Hill when I'm marathon training. It seems to go on for ever when you've run 20+ miles and just want to get home.

Good
  • Options

it's all good wharfy, if we hit the same pace then great, if not then first one back gets em in, the pub in threshfield it is then, will just have to double check it's ok with the other half on the day image my avatar is the Moot Hall in Brampton, it's pretty much the hub of the town, lots of groups use it as a meeting place and it doubles as tourist info and the town council meeting hall..

Podro.. thats a shame mate, i won't be doing Rombalds, sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later though.....

• Options

Podro - Coopers sounds good, you may be there a little before me.  Got another forumite I met on Trollers last year doing RS who may join us and be in there more like your time ...  HH after 20+ sounds masochistic !  (Just had to type that three times, like a drop of vin rouge on Friday nights..).

James - don't think I've been to Brampton, very picturesque..

BoBo - just noticed, we have talked about looking for B&B Guiseley / Menston way but that's more for RS, for TT you need to be looking at Grassington or Burnsall, the latter has a pub with rooms (Red Lion) which I stayed at once many years ago and was quite good at the time.  There is a good B&B I can't remember the name of at Ryllstone (may have spelled that wrong, place where Calendar Girls really happened) and the Angel at Hetton has rooms - very classy pub with great food but is a little more expensive and cheap pasta probably better for the night before than fine food and wine...

• Options

Wharfy - thanks image

off out for a 2 hour plod in the wind and rain - have a good day folks

• Options

Hi Wharfy / N'All -

I'm up for the TT. Enjoyed it  immensley last year.

Just got back from Scarborough Rock LDWA 30 miler today. (4hrs 24mins). Winner did 3hrs 47mins i think.

Met up with Drunken Euph. Was a really good run out if a little on the boggy side at times. Didn't rain at all though (bar a 2min sprinkling) which was a real surprise as it did little else from leaving Ripon all the way to the coast.

Nothing booked for me till Rombalds (which I've never done before). I'll look at getting my TT entry in over the weekend.

See you soon...

Mark....

• Options

hey Mark, good time mate! sounds like a good day out!

went out for a 17.5 multi terrain (roads/trails/fells) today, was the longest i've run since october when i injured my back, managed 2.57! i'm quite pleased with myself, times dropped a fair bit but it's a bloody good base to build back up from, all in all my milleage last week was 45 in 4 runs plus weights mon/fri and core on wed... so to sum it up... i'm knackered but god im happy!!! image

Hows everyone else getting on?

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

mark

Do you run with Beverley AC? If so, you keep on just beating me in races except for the national X-C last year.

• Options

Hi Mark - good to see you're joining TT again.  I can't remember the name but there's a 30m in June around Durham way I may be interested in.. don't know if anyone here has done that before ?

James - I had some smaller runs over the weekend, couldn't fit in a long one so did work and back today (18m round trip) and was quite pleased with myself, no speed at the moment but think I'm getting some strength and distance back into my legs.  Will aim for a straight 18m or so over the moors next weekend if I can work it out.  Just joined a gym again as well so can get some x training / core stength stuff done.

Might be knackered tomorrow....

• Options

Wharfy.. do you mean the Durham Dales Chalenge? i've been having a bit of a look into that one aswell, it's a definate posibility!

i miss the gym, until we moved north i was a member of fitness first, now mainly due to the lack of a decent reasonably priced, local gym i train at home, i can get a pretty good workout in my garage, the only thing i badly need to do is construct a rack and safety "thingy-ma-jig" for squats (i'm thinking scaffolding poles), it's just not the same doing them with the bar behind your legs!! image

hope it went well at the gym mate!! core strength.... do it till it hurts like hell then push it a little further!!!!!!  lol!!

• Options

Hi guys.... I'm up for pretty much anything as long as the wife hasn't double-booked me.

There's a chance i may be away scuba diving in Anglesey when the Durham Challenge in on but nothing set in stone for that. If i don't go away for that i'll be on the start line.

Podro - No  - I'm not the Mark Dalton from Bev AC. I've seen that guy on some results sheets though & it looks quite good 4me to have the same name! I should not bother running at all and just bask in the glory of his results!!! LOL

About the only other thing i do bar running is 5-a-side footie on a Thursday. I ache far more after that than i ever do after a run....

cheers

Mark...;...

• Options

That's the one James, may be a few of us there then...

Two short swims, two short runs and a wieghts / core strength session since Monday, starting to feel a little fitter !  See how the weekend goes. 

• Options

how's the new gym Wharfy?

this weeks just been a complete blow out for me.. managed 9 miles on mon morning, and came down with a cold, tried to do 10 this morning, managed 3ish, hit a steep hill and had to turn back and walk a lot of the way home, felt like i couldn't get any strength into my legs... i'm guessing this bugs hit my VO2 like a sledge hammer... i feel reasonably ok at work and during normal activity but when i push it it slays me, anyone else had anything like this?

hope i feel better for sundays long run....

• Options

Evening all. Strange hour to post I know, but no booze for me this Saturday as have an early start tomorrow image

Hi wharfy, mark told me about this thread last week so thought i should show my face. Sounds like you're all getting good mileages in on hear, mostly putting me to shame though the Scarborough Rock was a decent effort. I'll be up for TT, though just back from hols so taking it easy(ish).

Re. rombalds, I've actually been over your way to recce new parts of route, I had two free weekends after xmas so met up with a mate off another forum and some Ilkley harriers. Did the Menston -> Ilkley bit first, then Ilkley -> menston the next week. Seems the first half is now longer and second half shorter, maybe slightly longer overall than usual 22. Improvements for the better I think, i'd rather run over more moor than the horrid loop from top of Chevin and around.

Just to backup what others have said. TT is a great route. We had it good with conditions last year meaning mud could have been worse. Loads of variety in a gorgeous part of Yorkshire, which is what you need when it takes as long as I will to get around. More runnable than Calderdale Hike in April which had some comically waist deep muddy bits image

• Options

Hi all - yup inov8 crew is coming along nicely!

Flights are booked for this one so hope to be there image

• Options

Hi Clairster - Hope you can make it to the TT. We all know the route on this one if nothing else....so no wrong turns!!! (ideally....)

A good run out & a pint afterwards. Sounds like a perfect plan.

Rombalds up next for me in a couple of weeks. Have been looking today at "Mickleden Straddle" for next Sun as a maybe. 13.8miles with 1980ft of ascent.  Anybody know that neck of the woods?

cheers

Mark...

• Options

Hiy aMark! are you coming to White Peak mara again this year? Could do with a pacer to get me 3.44.59 image

and you Euph, are you coming?

I have last years route map, should anyone require it, drop me a mail image

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Did another recce of Rombald's yesterday. It has gone from rock solid permafrost to gloopy slop in the course of 2 weeks. Had several comedy moments disppearing knee deep into peaty slurry on the top of the moor. lots of erosion in the burnt area as you approach the 12 apostles as well.
  • Options

Clairster - I'd love to do the WP again & would prob opt to do Wmere the following day again as per last year

BUT....

Unfortunately i'm already booked out with £60 deposit paid for a diving trip to the Farne Islands. If i hadn't already paid the depo I'd be crossing it out in the diary & doing the two runs. I never twigged when asked about the diving. Never enough days of the week...

Podro - Great stuff - I do like a bit of mud! Shold be fun....

Mark...

• Options

Gym is fine James, not had those symptoms before hope they clear up soon.

Euph / Clairster - good to hear from you again - what's the chances of similar weather to last year ? !  Will be great if we do get it.

Podro - didn't go on the RS course at the weekend but was around a similar part of the moors and I've got to say I can't remember it being so muddy, was a lovely Sunday morning to be out though.

Mark - sorry can't say I know Mickledon way..

Run to work and back was 6 mins faster going and 3 mins faster returning today, must be getting fitter again.  Maybe I will be ready for TT (but will not try and keep up with Mark !)

• Options

Lawks!! it's got busy in here all of a sudden!!! Hi all!! image

wharfy, glad your enjoying the gym mate... blasted the cold away on sunday on the fells, 17.5 miles again in horizontal sleet! its what sundays were invented for!! don't know what happened friday but it seems gone now so..... (shrugs)... 

just a quick stop, dinners ready!! 

• Options

Hi all, cheers for the update Podro, seems to be the same everywhere, reall-lly muddy. A few mild weeks and then a few days freezing before RS would be just ideal, but right now its looking like a mudbath is likely.

Wharfy - Sounds like your making big improvements, though I agree its hard to keep up with Mark.

Mark - Don't know about that event, sounds challenging enough.

James - 17.5m in sleet - I think they call that character building. Man flu is unpredictable image

Clairster - WP....image.... maybe. I was thinking about half this year (see if the overall downhill gives me a crazy fast time) but with getting first marathon out of the way earlier than last few years (FLM) maybe, I will need to seek your practised knowledge of how to run two mara's a month apart. Either way will have to look at entries, as booked up early last year I recall. Maybe I could enter the half and be the only person on the day wanting to UP to the full.

Hill reps on road for me tonight, got some strange looks but felt a good sesh and was able to run further on last than the 9 reps before so I'm happy with that.

• Options
    Euph - yup, you need to be quick image
  • Options

No running today - did some real speedwork on Thurs night and have felt it a bit since, think I should do it more often but maybe not this week leading up to RS.  Was meant to be 5 minute blasts lapping around 90% effort but found legs were turning to lead after 4ish.  Intend to do some distance tomorrow. 

Does chopping trees up count as cross training ?

• Options

Hi Wharfy - Sounds as though RS can't come soo enuff 4u. I must confess of late I've lapsed into "just go out for a run" mode with no real b4 (or after!) planning. Plenty of distance but maybe too many slog it out miles. Might have to take a leaf out of your book & come up with something a bit more structured. I think that'd go me good.

Just had my porridge & it's in the car in 10mins. It's the Mickldeden straddle today. It's gonna be a col u'n i reckon. The weather forecast says 0degrees but the peak dist mountain forecast says it will feel like -18 wind chill.....It's the thermals today!

Looking forward to next week. Let's hope we aren't plodging round in snow...

Mark....

• Options
    Anyone get a route description in post for Rombalds yet? If all this snow starts to melt it could be a super, mudfest out there image