Trollers Trot 24

Comments

• how did it go Mark?

I have one! got it AGES ago..let me know if you want it scanning in and sending..have also translated the coordinates and mailed them to you image

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

I'm out of running for the next 6 weeks with a calf tear image.  Looks like a lot of swimming and cycling until mid-march although cycling is a bit tricky today.

I'll probably be out supporting tho. Look out for a skinny limping bloke in a cycle helmet sobbing gently as everyone runs past.

• Podro - must be catching.  I went for a nice gentle run over the moors yesterday and tripped over some little grassy knoll or something - unfortunately my foot didn't come easily and I now have a chipped bone and knackered (techincal term) ligament in my right ankle.  Dr reckons 6-8 weeks before I can even start running again let alone over any rough ground.  Bang goes RS and TT, also unlikely for Baildon Boundary Way in April....

Hope everyone else has better luck - can't make this the thread of doom !!image

• Podro/wharfy - Ouch! terrible luck, how blimageimagedy annoying. Hope you both get well soon. I've got a sore hamstring after a long run at weekend but nothing so bad as that - hope bad luck doesn't come in three's.

Mark - How'd it go?

Clairster - Sorry, I'm being an idiot and got romablds route ages ago too, just found it in a pile of race entries. Hope it didn't take you long to do the coords, I'll upload to garmin. Have you put coords in? If not have you got that GPS utility freeware? if so I'll send you file to upload to garmin, if not can send you file and you can upload in minutes.

Off for a splash out in th slush. Snow here stopped about midday and since its just rained/sleeted, feel like I'm missing out.

• christ guys, what a week!! well i'm sure you'll all be pleased to know i'm fine, prolly not as pleased as me but.... lol!!

podro.. how'd you manage to tear your calf mate?

wharfy.. that bites, you were making really good progress from your last injury, still at least with having gym membership now you'll have the equipment to be able to maintain your fitness and do remedial work on your ankle as it recovers.... i suppose the big question is, are you sure it was the "Grassy Knoll", or could it possibly have been a conspiracy of extreemist wooly assassins?

Well, last week for me was a bit of a write off, didn't get out anywhere near as much as i should have, living getting in the way of having a life i'm afraid, and the snow will make it hard going in the mornings this week (either total darkness with head light or snow i can handle, both can be tricky! lol!!) so by my reckoning i've probably got 5 usefull weeks left to get up to standard image

• Podro/Wharfy - Jeez - tough luck guys. Wishing the both of you a speedy recovery.

i did the Mickelden Straddle yesterday. Cold as hell and a biting wind at times but i think the weather just about held out. Just as well it wasn't today yesterday if you get my drift.

Think i came in 62nd in 2hrs 15mins. The winner came in at around 1hr 45mins (think there were 5 of them all in same group all within a min of each other). Lots of serious running types about yesterday from what i could see. I couldn't have run it any quicker in all honesty. A tough old course but i'd certainly recommend it. I must confess i was happy enuff it was only a 13.something miler!

usual good tucker at the end which was most welcome. These events are always top notch for the food alone.

The two people who i felt for most of all were two of the marshalls who were stationed at one of the more exposed cpoints. At least the runners got to run to keep warm. One of the guys had ski goggles on to keep the wind/sleet (at times) out of his face. These things just wouldn't happen without these people. Hat's off to 'em i say!!!

To anybody doing RS on Sat or to anyone just bobbing along for a social b4 and/or after see you then.

cheers

mark....

• Hiya Euph..only translated OS refs into coords, not uploaded yet, so any help in that dept would be fabaroo image

good running Mark image see you sat image

• Sounds good running Mark (P.S. was the use of the word Drift intentional ?).  What was the terrain like ?

James - 5 weeks plenty of time, and yes, there were lots of sheep about so who knows...

• Wharfy - Luckily all the drifts were saved till yesterday. there was a one or two flurries of snow mid-race but i think the weather only turned for the worse later that day / Monday.

Terrain wise it was dead easy (for the first 3mins!). It started off from a visitor centre place next to the reservoir and Yorkshire Water had kindly put in a lovely cinder path. That was nice of 'em....

Wasn't long b4 that petered out though and then it was the familar plog thru the mud up/down hills. A real mixture of mud/rocks/odd pavement bits over the moors/tiny bit of cinder path. Prob the worst bits were skipping over the frozen ice on top of the hills. Some of it looked hard enuff to stand on (there wasn't anywhere else to go!) but then you heard the familar crack of the ice as your foot disappeared into the mud.

good course though. It followed out from start to cp1 to cp2 etc. etc. You actually looped back round to so cp2 was also cp4 so the last few miles were good as you had a really good idea of how far you had left to go + what lay ahead terrain wise.

Had a day off yday (running not work... shame!). Been out today though to get rid of a bit of stiffness. Should be good to go for Sat Rombalds now.

Take it easy!!!

Mark...

• Any updates on the Rombalds moor area? In Hull we've had decent weather all week, barely any snow lay, quite dry, sunny. Its easy for me to forget how much "harsher" it will be out near Ilkley and especially on the moor.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭

DE - Still loads of snow around. I live 5 mins walk from the start and we have about 6ins snow in our back garden. A lot of the pavements are still covered. The moors look to be well covered still. It snowed yesterday as well. About an inch through the day.

James - I tore my calf after a recce on the moor near Whetstonegate. Jumped a hole and landed on the edge. Heel went down and stretched the muscle. Slightly painful, but carried on. 2 days later went for a run despite minor discomfort and after 5 miles the muscle went 'Ping' and I hobbled the remaining 2.5 miles back to work.

Good luck tomorrow everyone. The snow will make it interesting and the puddles will be nice and cold.

• Not been up on the moors (obviously), but as I sit here in Menston I am looking out at a good 3 or 4 inches of snow that doesn't appear to be shifting quick, suspect it will be very icy in places as well. 

Good luck all that are doing RS or just for any weekend running ...

• Cheers for wishes podro and wharfy. Hope your injuries are showing healing signs?

Did Rombalds, despite dire forecasts earlier in week it was a sunny day, often warm out of the wind, and no strong winds or blizzards image Snow was thick in places and some really slippy bits, often  the paths, snickets near towns. Ran around with Mark and managed a fairly comfortable 4:18, a few minutes faster than last year despite tough underfoot conditions (one drift on moor was nearly waist deep).

Also met Clairster at start and pleased to hear  she got around ok. Weather claimed a few victims I think, I saw a few nasty falls. One guy I know, Paul, fell and cracked both knee's hard. He kept going though and completed, will need a few ibuprofen I'd say though. Also a lady lost a shoe in a boggy bit - doubly unlucky as most of these bits were snow covered or frozen over - I tried to help for a minute but it had completly disappeared.

Roll on Trollers image

• DrunkEuph - Enjoyed yesterday. i think under the circumstances we got away lightly with the weather (on the day). The snow & ice underfoot did make it tricky though.

Clairster passed me just as i was lowering myself (rather gingerely) into my car. Clairster - apols i couldn't stop around longer. Things to do as always.....See you over at the TT though. Looking forward to that one. How did it go 4u yday? As DE as already said we had a good comfortable(ish) run round.

Best wishes to anyone who ended up taking a tumble. Speedy recoveries for all concerned.

DE - By the way i've sent off my entry for the Derek Jennings Memorial Walk. (Sun 5th April 2009). Let me know if you are up for this one also.

Let's a bit stiff today - about to be un-stiffened in 3 and bit hours at the Ripon 10K. Don't think I'll be blazing off at the start. I think the strategy is v.much "work my way thru miles 1 & 2 and see how the legs feel".

Catch you later....

Mark

• Sounds good Mark / Euph - I was toying with the idea of coming down to cheer you all through Menston but just couldn't picture myself walking safely enough down on the ice without risking putting myself even further back.  Lovely weather for the day, guess the views looked great up there.  Is it under 4hr then for TT ?
  • Wharfy - 4 hours for TT! thats quite a challenge - well for me. Probably more runnable than RS but quite a bit longer. I'd be ecstatic with a 4:30 as I get back from holiday a few days before. I think I was just over 5 last year, what kind of times did everyone else put in? Was anyone else near 4? Seem to recall a lot of 4imageomething times.
  • I shouted out my number as I entered the building '439' so that was my time they put down!

But it was near enough to my actual time slower than last years 4:28.

I was bloomin lightening over the first mile though image

Next year I'm training seriously (yeah right) for it and doing sub 4.

The bit that made my day was the decent down Baildon moor in the powdery snow. Great fun.

Tyke. 

• Wharfy/DrunkE

I had a look at last years Trollers Times and it had me down as 4hrs 09m i think...I seem to remember i folded badly in last few miles along the river with the wind blowing in my face. I got dropped from the guy who i ran around a fair bit of the course with about 4miles from the end...I was suffering at the time....

I'd love to think i could dip under 4 hours. Much depends on the conditions i guess.

I did the Ripon 10K yesterday (a mixture of on/off road) and was quite pleased to skirt round in 42m 34s in 15th place (304 entrants). My legs held up remarkably well....It's abs ages since i've done a competitive 10K and it was sort of over b4 it started if you see what i mean....

roll on the TT!!!!

Cheers

Markk...

• Afternoon all, don't mind if I barge in on this thread do you? I thought there might be a Trollers thread started but I didn't expect it to have 80-odd posts already!

I did the TT last year as my first ever event and loved it so I'm going to be back for more! I actually went up to Threshfield on Saturday and ran over the course to the top of Barden Moor, then back to Ilkley via Bolton Abbey and Middleton Moor. Brilliant day out but a hell of a lot of snow about which slowed things right up (looked pretty though!)

Anyhow, would be good to meet a few folks on the day; I'll probably be poncing about before the race in a track top with 'Trimm Trab' written on it, and wearing a ridiculous blue headband during the race, so say hello if you see me!

Cheers,
    TT

• Welcome on board TT...

TT for the TT - Very apt indeed...

Will keep an eye out 4u on the day & come and say hello. A few of us had a well earned beer after last years event. I see no reason at all to break with tradition if you are up for that also..

cheers

Mark...

• Good running on the 10k Marc - must be up for 10 in 10 image

Time - i did 4 hrs 56 last year, obviously quicker than i'll (not) do this year..

If I can drive by then and avoid any family commitments I'll try and at least get up to join you for a post run beer.  It was the pub in Threshfield we went to last time, can't remember the name but think there is only one. 

Sounds like you had a good run at RS, AT and welcome aboard TT.

• hi all!! hows things?

Podro.. that sounds suitably awful mate, hope your feeling better?

Wharfy.. hows your ankle coming on and have you been able to use the gym and work around it?

Euph.. sounds like rombalds was a blast, poor woman losing her shoe, shouldnt imagine she saw the funny side but... you know! lol!

TT.. hi there, will keep an eye out for you and be sure and say hello..

By the same token i'll be in a pair of linebreak tights and sporting a desert camo camlebak, i'll make up something with my forum name and stick it on my camlebak, would be good to meet up with you all, Mark i reckon a well earned drink of some description sounds pretty much a given image

I could use some advice guys, went out yesterday over the trails and up on to the fells in my nb m800 shoes..(great fell shoe, zero cushioning) i might aswell have been in socks on granite it was frozen so hard and by the time i made it home my knees were knackered, so i've been looking at the innov-8 rocklite 320...does anyone use them and how do you rate them?

• yes inov8 roclies rock, I love them and perfect for trollers image enough cushioning on the roads etc, and great grip on wet rock, grass, mud...best pair of all rounders ever
  • James - Roclites work, I'm not vastly experianced in fell/trail shoe ownership but I can tell they're good as I don't fall over (much) in them. Good on trails and enough cushiniong for short road sections too. These LDWA events can be really boggy in places but often use long sections of road or hard trail. Good jack of all trades.

Hello TT, agreed that Trollers is a good event, good route with something for everyone last year.

Mark - Cracking 10k time for an off-roady one, I could barely do that on 10k of flat tarmac when fresh.

• Hi James - not yet, I'm on leave next week though and aim to get OH to take me down there a few times for some core strength / upper body exercises and if I feel up to it will try some swimming to get cardio training in ... 

Not used Roclites, but found the Mizuno trail shoes I wore last year were under-gripped for a number of sections. 

• thanks Guys.. think i'm going to go for it with the Rocklites, i really enjoyed the feel for the ground you get with low profile/zero'ish cushioning when the grounds soft but wasn't overly keen on the ice bath and cold compresses after sundays foray. Clair and euph you've described exactly what i need from a shoe, thanks again image

Wharfy, when your at the gym check out the arm bike thingy, when i had a pt he seemed to think it was a badly under used bit of kit, would get me rowing fast sets then split without a break to an intense session on the affore mentioned arm bike cardio doofer... aswell as building on cardio it works on upper body strength/endurance, something runners tend to forget about, mostly till it hurts like hell in your shoulders when running, plus you get an extra boost up 'that' hill pumping your arms.... obviously you cant do the rowing but maybe try split sets on the whatsit with near max intensity for a 3 mins with 30sec breaks at low intensity after your upper body workout... 

i really feel for both you and Podro, rehab is a crappy place to be, i take it you'll both be there for drinkies after though?

• It's in the plan at the moment - subject to family commitments getting in the way...
  • Cheers for the welcome all, I'll definitely be up for a drink after the event; if I beat my time from last year I might just be in a buying mood too...(bit more incentive to look out for me there!)
  • With all this talk of doing the TT - that is the "event" and not some crude pickup technique Trimm image - I thought I'd better actually enter. Don't you just love online entry! none of that faff writing out two envelopes, a form and a cheque.

This should be interesting as I'm back from an "active" holiday Thursday before this.

Wharfy - Any chance of you making start line of this at all??

Will also be up for a drink, shouldn't have to rush off this year as Mothers day is a week later.

• Euph..will you be racing round, or happy to take it as a time on feet exercise? and go away with your active holidays image holiday shmoliday!