Trollers Trot 24

Comments

• James if it's any consolation my build up to the TT has been less than ideal - more of a build down really! A grand total of 30 miles in the last month, and 7 in the last fortnight probably isn't going to see me tearing up the footpaths of Yorkshire.

I'm a bit annoyed that I'm no longer going to be able to stick around for a drink afterwards - need to get away asap after the event - but hopefully will see a few folks before/during. 

• hey guys...

i've been holding off on this post but i'm not going to be able to do TT, my calf is more or less healed now and the cold has just about gone but i've missed nearly 3 weeks of training and 3 long runs, if it wasn't for LDN this year i'd still come and give it a go but i can't risk serious injury this close to my biggest goal of the year, i've had to re-asses my targets for the mara as it is.... as i've said before i very much doubt i'll ever do LDN again as i'm really not keen on road running so it really will be one of those "once in a lifetime" deals for me...... i'm fairly gutted as it goes, i was really looking forward to this race... i'll look forward to hearing all about it after....

I'll hopefully meet up with you all at the Pheonix or another event in the year

• James - I'm sorry to hear you won't be joining us, but sounds like the right decision in the circumstances. Good luck for LDN; guess this means I will just have to venture north again next year to meet you image

Just 2 more days at work before I load the car and head up the A1M - decided in the end to stay in the East Gilling/Ampleforth area, where our son is at school, so it will be an early start in the morning but I hope to have a swift celebratory lemonade if anyone is still around when I finish before I head back to be a dutiful parent stiffening up on the touch-line!

• Oh dear, another one bites the dust (so to speak), still I think there are still more on here doing the race than not !

Owing to aforementioned piano exam I will not now make it for a drink afterwards either, but I wish everyone all the best and hope to meet up on other runs this year - and there's always TT 2010 !

• Hi ALL

I'll join the curse of the TT forum. I've continued to struggle with my calf since my last post a few weeks ago. V.sore when i went out yday which has been pretty much my only trip out in the running shoes in last few weeks.

I'm keen to do the TT on Sat but last thing i want to happen is to risk making things worse (Lots of events coming up.

Fellsman recce run 4th April

D.Jennings Mem LDWA 5th April

Calderdale Hike Recce run 10th/11th April

Calderdale Hike 18th April

Neolithic Marathon 3rd May

& the Fellsman itself on 9th/10th May.

I'm going to see how i feel early Sat and decide then. If i can be there I will. I HATE dropping out of events. A typical Yorkshireman i am......Aye Up - I've paid my £X pound entry - I'll crawl round if need-be!!!!

Here's hoping for better luck for ALL in the coming weeks/months.

Mark....

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

oooh, i am staying away form this thread..but been out with lurgy and general rubbishness as well..providing its not a totally miserable day tomos i am doing this!

mark - i will be crawling round if you want to crawl in company image

• Hi all. Wowww..... a real thread curse thingee going on here. Sorry to hear about those who've had to pull out, probably the best thing for recovery or to assure fitness for other events. Hopefully somebody will be there for me to run with tomorrow? If so see you when I get there. Hopefully I should have some grid coords and manage to find my way there again...image
  • Gawddd.. this one starts at 8am doesn't it? Oh the joys of getting up at 4.30 for breakfast and a two hour drive image
  • hey all....

just wanted to wish anyone who makes it to the start line all the best for the race, i wish i could be there, as i said before if it wasn't for london being so close i'd have had a crack anyway and bugger the consequences, i was really looking forward to the event and meeting you all!!! 

i'm looking forward to hearing all about the race after and hope we can all keep in touch and meet at another event later in the year!!

again... good luck to you all...... image

• Appreciate the sentiment James.

I really hope the few who are left have a great run, looks like the weather could be good, bit more overcast than last year but mild and dry.  I am determined that I will not be put off starting another thread - it's co-incendence rather than a real curse...image

Hope to get some race reports on here so I can read on enviously !

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    by eck that was windy..glad to see the forum curse didnt keep everyone down..euph and i started off and were joined at rhylstone by mark...great day guys, didnt even notice the miles..tis a fab course, glad i made it round...am paying for it now..stairs are hard and cold back with a vengence!
  • Well done Clairster, Euph and Mark !
  • Anybody know if the results are posted yet, and if so where, cos I haven't found them!
  • Bit late with my comments, but this was fantastic again. Even lack of sunshine and the same strong wind as last year couldn't spoil it.

Has the thread curse been lifted yet, are you all recovering? have you all moved to another event thread, if so, where, is it a fun off-roader?

• Drunk - Nope I'm here....sort of anyway.

Yep - I enjoyed the TT. Glad i made the effort. I did struggle the last 2 miles as you know but strange as it may seem the calf has been right as rain since! I'll have to sched a 25mile offroader the next time I'm feeling lame.....It worked wonders (just not sure how)

Been out every day for last week with a long old run last Sat (i was up at the inlaws at South Shields & followed the coast down past Sunderland and back in a long loop)

Starting to feel the fitness come back after my enforced layoff.

It's a fellmans recce run a week on sat for me & the Derek Jennings memorial walk the day after.

Keep on running!

cheers

Mark...

• hey Euph and Mark.. i'm still on this thread to

Thankfully the calf is better now, i ran Grizedale 10 today and loved it, i have one good hard week and then i'm on my taper for London.. it's just a shame i missed 3 weeks out of "hell month" i think it'll cost me 15-30 mins.

Still wish i'd been able to make TT, it sounds like it was a blast!! there's always next year!! image

you guys still up for the pheonix?

James

• Yup Phoenix ..... and .... whispering image..... if I'm not sick of Osmotherley I may have a crack at Lyke Wake Race the following Saturday.
  • Thought everyone had left !  I managed 12 mins on a treadmill today so am starting the recovery but will be a long hard slog I think.....
  • thats great news Wharfy!! hows your stamina? have you managed to keep it at a decent level with swiming and such like?

Euph... i'm gunna book my place for Pheonix shortly, i think 2 races in 2 weeks would be pushing it for me though!! lol!!  what sort of time are you aiming for in london?

• James - I'll also be booking soon, though maybe a shorter route than full 33, 17 or 26, as I have an even longer endurance event planned mid-week, to warmup for. Hmm, I'd like under 3:30 at London, more the better, but at the end of the day, if all goes Pete tong I'll be happy just to break old PB of 3:44. Whats your target? do you think you'll made any of 15mins of speed back in training now fit again?

Wharfy - How goes the slog, any breathroughs? I can recall last time I was really badly injured and reduced to 10 mins treadmill at less than 5mph! Really glad it was summer and I could do some biking.

• i'm feeling quite confident again now Euph, on sunday i completed 22 miles on the local fells in 3.40 including 1500 ft of ascent and stopping for gates, styles, etc so i would hope to make 3.30 in London but like you said if all goes pearshaped i would deffinately expect to finish in under 4 hours.

are you going to the expo on saturday the 25th to register?

• Yes, probably in the afternoon as going down on a coach with club. Apparently queues are murder by this stage! A fast fell run sounds promising for a good marathon, nowwe just need mild weather!
  • Hi James/Drunk

Good to see all going well for London. I'll keep an eye out for you on the telly (lol!)

Whilst i haven't been on this particular forum for a while (where does that spare time go...) i have been keeping myself busy on the running front.

Did the last 25miles of the Fellsman last Saturday (a tough old last 25 miles....I fear even tougher with 37 miles already in the legs on the real thing. Weather was pretty lousy but the 5 of us (joined by 2 others part way round made good time)

with legs like stumps i crawled out of bed the day after and did the Derek Jennings Memorial (Blubberhouses 25). took me approx 5-6miles before the stiffness dissipated from the legs but that again was a good old run. bful day & unlike the day b4 mostly on clear paths etc.

Have just got back from doing a Calderdale Hike recce today (1st 17miles). Am off to do final 20mile(ish) section tomorrow. After that i figure i'm ready for a bit of feet-up & a beer or three for the rest of the long w/e/

Drunk - Remember last year when we trudged up that twisty road back to the Calderdale finish point both feeling v.tired? Well.......Did same sort of route today (but backwards - course changes every two years) & i reckon we went a fair bit out of our way last year. Now i know why we clocked up a few extra miles last year!

Wishing ALL a great Easter break...

Mark...

• Cheers Mark, I'm sure we added a few miles in many places on that day. I'm just glad that we got through that liquid moor with waist deep bogs just after halfway without too much added on. Thats some running, walking, bog-trotting your getting in there. I always got the impression that Fellsman was a lot harder than just its 60-odd miles, with darkness, biggest hills in Yorkshire and hard going all to be found along the way.

James - What are your plans aftermarathon, more road stuff or some more of these, illy buggers?

In case anybody fancies I'll be doing a few runs with friends in West/North Yorks area from May onwards. Plan is to run an ultra-length effort from Skipton to Leeds, midsummer, along canal. But, firstly were getting a recce in from Skipton to Shipley I think, check route, etc, probably about 19m. Should be a doddle in terms of underfoot and mostly flat, but distance will be fun.

15+m for me today, I'm going too squeeze in every hill I can find within a 15m loop of my house. Nothing big but it all adds up.

• DrunkE - I'm always up for anything pretty much as long as the diary is blank on the rel dates. Just drop me an email/call when you've got something in mind.

Did the 2nd haf of the Calderdale today. What a cracking day - the sun was a shinin all day long. stopped for lunch at Stukely Pike - what a view from the top of there.

with the course changing (radically) there's a actually a long long downhill stretch back to the finish (which was good). If i have owt left in the legs next week on the event for real I'll enjoy bounding down to the finish.

I'm looking forward to the rest of my bank hol (a non running finish to the long weekend i might add!)

Not a lot planned next week - I'll be saving the legs a bit for Saturday.

Have a good weekend all....

cheers

Mark....

• hey guys.. hope all's well, i'm catching a bit of a breather this weekend and ploughing back into my taper on tuesday... i reckon i've earned it!! lol!!

.. i'm planning on pushing up into ultra territory after london, i'm just at the start of building to my first competitive ultra and although i've run the distance several times over the last few months this will be my first official marathon, it's been a steep curve but ultimately i'm aiming at doing the 100 mile lake district run (unsure of the name right now) in 2012 and then see where it takes me after that. I am making plans to run Hadrians wall in 2 days next year and want to run the Fellsman in 2011.

I'm really not a great fan of running on roads, i really would rather be out in or fighting against all nature's glory, depending on conditions!! image There really is no substitute for cresting a killer hill and looking out over miles and miles of trails and Fells and taking ownership by dint of having leaked blood, sweat and tears over the whole lot!!!    So more of the 'illy buggers really!! lol!

I would love to come and join you both on some runs over the summer but may is a difficult month for me i'm afraid. It would be good to get advice of both of you on the best way to push the mileage up... i'm fairly sure you'll tell me more or less to keep doing what i'm doing and push up my weekly totals but any hints/ tips you have will be very much appreciated

Happy Easter Guys

• Hi all - good to see everyone so active and what a great Easter for it !

I'm not making plans at the moment, have managed a very slow 2m on the road before discomfort hit, finding flatness of the treadmill working better but still managed a best of 25 mins at around 5kmh so not much !  I am fiding I can cope with exercise bikes better and joined an early morning spinning class once a week - together with swimming and some general gym work I do feel I'm keeping a reasonable fitness level up, just would rather be running image

I have got Abingdon mara lined up for October so at least a long term aim...

Keep runnin..

http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5544.gif

• hey Wharfy!! great to hear your making progress mate!! image
  • James - Good luck with ultra's, LDWA do a few long challenge events where runners are welcome. Mark's done loads of these this year I think. Also stuff in the ultra running champs - they have a website out there. Quite a lot are Yorkshire or Northern events, tis gods own country after all.

I'm still looking out fior a big challenge later this year, probably Aug, Sep, Oct as I have a 30 in June, 50 planned in July.

Good to hear your on the comeback Wharfy, a few from 3.45 thread I post on on here are up for Abingdon, a few locals included. Beders is doing it I believe. keep at it, I had a similar slow recovery after doing a tendon - luckily it was summer so rediscovered joys of biking.

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    so...me and euph are doing wharfedale mara on 6 jun..in same are as trollers..who else is in??