Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• I must admit to be being a bit daunted by your 100 miles p/w training from earlier this year. I've never exceeded 60m/p/w and the focussing on the speed was the key to taking over 6 1/2 minutes off my 1/2 time down to 1:20:19 back in October. My 10k time is rubbish at a shade over 38 minutes and my 5k time isn't worth talking about either... I definitely favour the longer stuff but am more aware than ever that the faster stuff is the key to improving the longer stuff.

I hope this also unlocks the door for you to push on... interesting months ahead for a good few of us it seems.
  • hi saint

yes u are right

i will be concentrating more on my speed from now.my head is very strong when it comes 2 distance i do lack speed big time

my idea of me doing loads of mile was that when i do the marathon it would be easy to run hense time get faster.

that all changes 4 this one ill be giving it a good go  

cheers saint

• Hi BBB

Good luck in the 3hr quest .  I will be following your progress as it is my next target and your 10K is pretty much the same as mine.

• Yup, good luck BBB.

I will be watching what is going on, I am down to 1:24 for a half and 38:50 for a 10k recently although they were both on easy courses. Going to try to get as close to 3 as I can. Last year I peaked at about 86 miles and did 3:15 carving half an hour off my previous pb

It's the RW Sub 3 schelule you will be following then ?

• Hi BBB, all the best with the training.Llanelli half is a superb warm up for FLM, superb run with good pb prospects, as long as it's not to windy!  1;21 would be some time to achieve mind , all the best with the training.

Bloooooooebiiiiirds!

• nigel,

when i think of how many 1000s of miles you'll run between now and april it makes me almost glad that I am built for lesser things. 

how's the training going - are you managing to slow down and not overdo it? 

dan 

• Hi BBB

So the secret is out!  Don't forget I'm watching image.  All this talk of training, just keep a cool head and listen to your body, you have the miles, despite the break you've had, my only concern is that there is no rest day in your training schedule, have a chat to your coach about this, at least for the start of the progamme for a couple of weeks.

Great to have the family onside, and a lot of other support I see.  It is not just speed work you need to do, as I'm sure you'll find in the programme and with your coach, it is speed-endurance training, as you need to maintain the speed for longer periods.  Like me, built for distance but we do need to work on short and fast too which is far to easy to ignore.  Also easier to get good results by doing this with someone, to push each other, so take up the offers you've had off some of the fast guys above, but when your body tells you it is ready to add the intensity, don't worry if it isn't exactly what the programme says for now, it is a guide which can be adjusted when needed, it is not set in stone - that doesn't mean you can be lazy mind and not do things if it's raining!  But having spoken I know you are focused and commited and am sure you will make your target and will do all in my power to make sure you do.

By the way, by the time April comes you will have to change your name!  You won't be Belly boy anymore!  Ex-belly boy Barnes perhaps?

Enjoy Christmas, see you soon,

Mike

• Mike, he will always be Belly boy to us in the clubimage.

BBB, how was you after your bike ride last night? Myself and the Bomber got 32 miles of running in in the last two days. So much for an easy monthimage.

Have a great Christmas. are you racing with us on boxing day?

• Thanks to all you guys - the support I've had to date is amazing.

Welsh Alex  - hope you get over your injury soon, it is the RW Mike Gratton sub 3 training schedule I'll be following.  It's good to know that others are going for the same goals. 

Mike (Osteopath extraordinaire!) I know I need to listen to my body, I'm sure I'll be speaking to you lots over the coming months!

Dan I've not done too much of late - Mike's been working hard to get me back in shape - I hope to start the training schedule very soon. 

Chris I can't race boxing day - my boy's going on a skiing trip with the school and I have to go see him off . Will be thinking of you all - I'll have an extra glass of wine for you Christmas night!

Merry Christmas

Nigel

• Hi Fast legs,  I'm glad I don't run with you guys, I'd probably be called double belly boy!!!!  That's why it's good to have an alter ego to be known as!  Takes the focus off the other bits.  You may have seen me round the place as Batman, more in Triathlons but do some runs too.

Nigel, enjoy the wine, it is an important part of your recovery image, in my professional opinion that is, it's not as good as guinness but it will do!  Any queries mate just ring me.  Enjoy the turkey, you'll be burning it off soon enough.

Merry Christmas all

Mike

• By the way, I am Mike Griffiths 71, just got round to making my nickname more appropriate!  And Batman is already being used by someone else, although he must be an imposter! lol

Merry Christmas all, see you soon.

• Merry Christmas to you too Mike. Where abouts are you from? Are you local.
  • Neath. So you are localimage. I started life as a Jack but was lucky, I escapedimage
  • Are you running in Glynneath on boxing day?
  • Hi boys

mike is my osteopath he s the man getting on the mend

merry christmas guys

nigel

• No he's not he is mine !

• Nadolig Llawen i chi gyd.  Hey Alex if it is your knee I saw pics of it is a bit out of my league at the mo!  And boys it's good to share, lol.

Not running boxing day as in Essex with my bro, he's trapped down here because of his ex, he'd love to come back to Wales with the kids but no chance of that so we tend to descend on him for Christmas, they've gone to thier mum's now so peace for a while.

Was thinking about running Nos Galan, but not sure if I will be able to stay sober till the start!!!

Planning on doing the Forest of Dean trail 15k in Feb, maybe the terminator and am already in Llanelli half.

Not sure about some of the west glam cross country league runs too.  In need of losing a stone at the mo and probably by the new year more like stone and a half.

Anyway, back to the food now, catch later, enjoy your dinners and drinks and good luck to those running tomorrow (if you see Nigel there running, tell him he's a naughty boy! image)

Frohe Weinachten, Nadolig Llawen, Merry Christmas, throw another shrimp on the Barby, and Iechyd da.

• ps - how long does it take to get a pic on here?
  • Lol image

It was my knee Mike ! Re forum pics, I guess you have to wait for the moderators at RW Towers to be back in work. God knows when that will be.

I am doing the FoD 1/2. That's not the same as the 15k I guess. Also may well do the Terminator and defo Llanelli.

I have also have eaten too much today.

• Hi mate,

when is FoD 1/2?

Got Ham in beer sauce for dinner!  And more chocolate and more Guinness!!!  I'll be too heavy to run soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

• FoD Half

Nice trails race, always fills up before the day and is on the same day as the Bath Half usually

Got a small buffet thing tonight, I think that will finish ,me off. It is christmas innit !

• Bath is same day as Llanelli this year so maybe not!  I'll look it up sometime.

God I'm stuffed!  lol

• 15th march, week after Llanelli!

May stick to the 15k in Feb

• HI Mike

nobody seen me running 2 day

its sunday  4 my next run

• Hi Belly boy, you missed a good race today. Great turn out by the club.Some good times had by all. I managed 31:15 with a hangover and too much dinner, but still knocked off 7 seconds from last yearimage. Kyle won the under 16 category, so I'm a very proud dad at the moment.

Will you be running with the club on New Years day? its only 4 miles. And its the start of the training for Londonimage.

Where you running Sunday? there will be a few of us out so your more than welcome to come with usimage It will be around 10 to 15 milesimage slowimage.

• have a chat with the osteopath on the run he s told me 2 start with very little miles 2 date, ill be with him monday morning and we will go from there, i would love 2 do 15 miles but ?  

Well done the boys 2 day kyle isrunning very well image,

who,s club champion this year?

did fordman beat the 30 min ?

all the best guys

nigel

• Fordman is the Champion this yearimage and well deserved it is tooimage. I took 1st old gits placeimage.