Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

fast legs

you forgot the dot in 10 miler

did u mean 1.0 miles

no problems mate will be with u very soon

bye the way

the margam flyer done well on new years day,good 2 c the boys coming on,he will be up for a nice challenge.

He could be a surprise package this year ? 

• Options
    Belly boy, how did your run go today? hope your on the mend. We are doing the Richard Burton course again tomorrow, are you up for coming with us? meet at 9am by the finish line if you are. or you can come with FM and myself, run over and back for a nice hilly 15 milesimage.
  • Options

BBB, did you get out today? There were a lot of club members training at Cwmavon. Myself FM and NST got over 15 miles in. It was a bit cold out there todayimage. My training starts tomorrow with an easy 10 mile split. Whats your plan for tomorrow?

Good luck to every one starting the training tomorrow. Bring it onimage.

BBB, nice pic of you in this months comicimage.

• Options

Hi fast legs

Yes i was out 2 day just a little less milage than u,hoping 2 up the milage again this week, going 2 see the osteopath 2 morrow for his view on things.

All the best with your training plan hope it works 4 u

cheers nigel

• Options
    How is the injury doing are you better? Whats your plan for tomorrow?
  • Options

Belly Boy, How did the first day of training go? Started mine today, 10 mile split. 5 mile steady 36 minuets and 5 mile easy 43 minuets. Very slippery out thereimage.

Hope everyone else's first day went wellimage.

• Options
    All the best barnsey, keep the tips coming my way mate. image
  • Options

Did osteo give the all clear?

I did a long run yesterday and struggled around a few miles today but did get to see my sports therapist to work on my calf muscles etc.

• Options

Belly boy, whats the plan for today? Speed work for me. 6 X yasso, will run to the track and back home. Will we see you there?

Very icy out there today people, take careimage.

• Options

Hi steve and fast legs,

Im not quite right just jet but osteopath still working on me each week,things are starting 2 come 2 gether.

Done my 5 miles yesterday and will be doing 4 miles today. taking it very easy at the moment and hope to build up soon

Off 2 work i go speak 2 u soon

nigel  

• Options

EY up i phoned work to day to see if i can start back & i am still waiting for a reply alto i can run 50+ mile a week doc tells me i can not lift anything until mayimage

hope we can run hard & fast together soon Nigelimage

• Options

Morning allimage

Hi Belly Boy, how's the training going?

Did post last night but seem to be having problems with this siteimage.

We did speed work last night, 6 X yasso 800's with 400 jog recoveries. We did them on the beach front as the training loop was frozen! With the run down to the beach and back ( easy running) we got in 12.5 miles. So my coach has told me I can do an easy 7 miles tonight to compensate for the extra distance done last nightimage. I'm feeling very motivated at the moment, hope I can keep this feeling for the next 16 weeksimage. I've sorted my diet out and am loosing the weight I put on over Christmasimageimage. Life is good at the moment. Hope its going as well for you mateimage.

How are all the other sub 3ers doing out there?

• Options

HI Bomber

Hope u get the all clear it will be a pleasure 2 run with u, let me know and we will sort it out.

Training going ok just a quiet 6 miles as my schedule tells me.

It would be a nice change 2 do the speed work on beach front i mention it in the past for a change but had no interest.

i do it myself on times between the step and some time on the beach

off 2 work i go happy running

nigel  

• Options

Hi Belly boy

Nice to hear the injury is all better and your getting on with the schedule. We did the speed work on the beach last night as it was too dangerous to run on our loop. Was a nice change but wouldn't want to do it all the time as there are too many people, dogs and bikes down there! When do you think you will be out for a run with the club?

I did a nice easy 7 miles with my coach tonight. still a bit cold out there!

• Options

Hi all

good to hear you are all coming along, BBB will be back with you guys soon but at the mo it is important that he doesn't do too much too quick or speed work as he has had a bit of time off and if he does he will risk re-aggravating his injury, which although is feeling better, will not be 100% yet, think of when a scab falls of a cut, you think it is healed but that skin is still a bit thin and weak for a bit longer.  Building sensibly now, he will be up to speed soon, as will I!  Would be nice to meet some of you, although I don't think I'll be keeping up with you.  But then my goals are different for the year, main event being the Alpe D'huez half ironman triathlon, so need to get the swims and bikes in too, which hopefully will help me lose the stone and a half I'm currently overweight by!  I've even cut down the Guinness intake!  Not to nothing though, still need my fuel!

Keep it up all, what races is everyone entered for?  Who's doing Llanelli half?

Mike

• Options

BBB how was the 6 miles?  Quiet?  Any problems?  by the way my personal e-mail is mikegriffiths71@gogglemail.com if you want to ask any questions.

Mike

• Options

Hi Mike. you would be more than welcome to come and run with us. We run with the club 3-4 times a week and we have a few triathletes in the club. I haven't done for a while but really need to get out on my bike as well. I used to ride with Port Talbot Wheelers until the running took over. But think I'll leave it until the frost goesimage.

Belly Boy, what you got planed for today? I'll be doing the loop with the club, 5 mile tempo run.

• Options

Hi guys

Mike,Chris

The 6 miler was ok just took it easy,done 5 miles 2 day slightly quicker, but i will not be running

2 morrow, rest day.

I can t run with club this week im working afternoons,im hoping it will be my first week back next week.  

• Options

BBB good to her you are on the mend won't be long you will be kicking my butt again mate image

I am still waiting to here from work but consultant has given me the OK but no lifting until May

Mike you can't be as slow as me & some of us are slower than me now i am bionic

• Options

Hi Steve

Do i need 2 be taking the lukozade hydro active after a 5-6 mile easy or steady run as i have never done this before,i only take energy drinks when running 10-12 plus 

Do u think i should i enter any of the lukozade race such as bath or reading or is it ok 2 run a 20 mile hilly race down towards the end of march or perhaps both  

• Options
    Good luck!!
    Similar performances to you 1;23 and 38;17. Tried my first marathon in NY in 08. Got the usual injury 6 weeks before, managed the above times with pain killers etc., but the marathon (plus trying to rest i.e. no running) Meant the sub three was out,but 3;16 as a first attempt got to be pleased, and so loved the experience (all new to me). Entered Paris for April tending to concentrate on hills(a real weakness from years of cycling) and speed (not unlike yourself). Following your progress with much interest (must at least do sub 3;15 for age std for London 2010).
    Sounds to me that the speed work is where its going to happen for you. I started on speed then endurance as a novice last year for some runs for duathlons/triathlons, running ended up being my strong point (after 30+years of cycling)Under 40 mins straight away.
    In the cycling world of endurance events negative splits are always the best way, but the hardest for us competitive males. I used to experiment in local club races to get it into my head that it works. Also read a lot of top athletes experiences to find the common threads.

Really excited for you!
  • Options

Thank felixfatfunk for your your support

we do sound very similar,u are right with the speed,i have never been a speedster, my strongest point is my will 2 keep going .ill only stop running when i am injured but that is one of my biggest problems

I hope u know where im coming from    

thanks bomber

hope things come 2 gether see u soon

nigel 

• Options

Hi BBB

Only just found this forum.

I completed my first marathon last year at Abingdon. I was pretty much at the same standard as yourself before I started the marathon training (38.00 10k & 1.23 Half). I followed the RW Sub 3.00 training program fully. It didnt fit in with my Club training sessions, so I completed most of the program on my own. I think the hardest part is doing speed work on your own, you get lazy, well I did.  Also I kept on running to fast on the long slow runs...

Anyway, it all paid off on the day of the marathon, well almost. I got to the 20 mile point and I was on target for a 2.52 -2.54 time, and its exactly as the seasoned marathon runners tell you. Its a race of two half's, the first 20 miles followed by the last 6. Yup, you guessed it I started to die very quickly on the last 6. I went from 630 / 6.40 min mile to 7.30 / 745 min mile. However, I still managed to cross the line in 2:58:10...I did it, my first marathon and under 3 hrs.

Stick to the program, dont over train and when it says an easy run, take it easy and I'm sure you will reach your goal.

Good luck for the FLM09and I will see you there.

Tony

• Options

Nigel

Lucozade should probably  be answering these questions but as you've got a reasonable supply and it certainly won't do you any harm, then I think it's a good idea to take Lucozade pre and post run, whether it's a 6 miler or 12 miler, even if the latter, the need is greater.

Re races. I think you do need to do one of the half marathons, and need to choose the one based on a mixture of geographical, speed, timing, schedule factors.

You can do a hilly 20 miler too though, but would suggest that is more of a training option than a racing option (ie do it but not to exhaustion)

• Options

Thanks Steve

I will prob run  the the llanelli half march 8th,i will prob run and use the hilly 20 miler as part of my training i will run it the same way u want me to run the london marathon.thats being strong towards the end of the race  

• Options

Hi Tony Smith

I also run london around the same pace as yourself my last 3 miles were prob little slower than yours,i believe i had to do the last 6.2 miles in 42 mins ,but i also had problems with my legs cramping up.finish with 3.02  when checking garmin sat nav i had run 26.7 miles more

many thanks for your support hard running c u in london

nigel

• Options

BBB - those lucozade hydractive things are just electrolytes, no sugar, so not an energy drink just for rehydrating and feeling refreshed!  I should be on their marketing team now image

Glad to hear your injury is on the mend.  Come on down and do Silverstone half, sounds dull but flat and fast. 

• Options
    BBB Are you doing the RB 10k on Sundayimage
  • Options
    Yes Belly Boy, come and have a run with the lads in the RB 10k on Sunday It will be good to catch up, and we can both see how we are progressingimage.
  • Options
    Nice easy 5 miles for me tonight, 9 min/mile pace with a few strides. How did you get on today?