Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Sue, does the smaller HR strap also have a smaller plastic bit? I have the 405 and I don't have a problem with the strap size as I have a wide rib cage, but the plastic bit is HUGE and sticks out under my clothes making me look seriously deformed!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Much prefer the 5ks to a session on the track,

7m steady today, whilst Jnr was doing a gym session with club.

PS I dont do HRMs at present either......

• Very restrained of you Sue, I'm impressed. I bet you were fair skipping along!

I've sewn my chest strap up once and then safety pinned it again as either the strap has got bigger or I've got smaller. Even with the pin in, it's never caused any problems.

• Astride - Mr C is fine for now, I suspect around March time he will be smiling through gritted teeth. My Xmas was lovely too but it was hectic so it has been nice to have a day or two to ourselves to be honest before the New Year stuff hits us. We have just been to the panto (oh no we haven't, oh yes we have...) which was hilarious, the Dame picked on Mr C all the way through which the kids thought was so funny!

Speedy - sorry, it was just the strap not the plastic bit that I was sent but I know what you mean about the size of the HRM bit!

I am a picture of restraint at the minute CG! (especially when Liz is watching me)

Gobi - which marathon have you got planned and do you have a target? I am of the opinion that you could smash your pb if you concentrated on doing one good one but I know that's not your bag. Is the FLM just too 'big' for you if that make's sense?

RFJ - I tend to keep an eye on HR, RPE and pace if that makes sense, I don't look to one form of training specifically although the HRM I find useful for holding me back when needed (recovery runs when you are feeling good etc.) and for judging threshold runs on hilly routes.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sue - I'm doing 2 next year but no real targets as they are just hard training for the more important races. Not to say I won't have a go at nicking a bit off my PB.

London - basically yes I get frustrated with the expo, collecting numbers, getting to the start, the crowd. I just don't really like being in the city either which probably doesn't help.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi Sue,

Your postings are inspirational already.  I will look forward to reading your progress along the way.  What pb's do you have for your half and 10K at the moment?

I have a marathon pb of 3.31 but my half and 10k times do not reflect this.  Actually, my 10k pb is the same as my 10k marathon splits!  I'm trying to work on speed at the moment but my strength is endurance rather than speed.

I am considering doing the 3 runs per week for my marathon training this time but nervous about not  getting the mileage in.  However, it seems to get harder each year to fit marathon training around work and family.

Anyway, I will enjoy your postings. And good luck!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sue,

Sorry just saw your times on your profile.  My half if 1:36 but my 10K is about 48mins! 

I always do the Coniston 14 as my last race before the marathon - every done it?

• Sue

Belated congrats.  Will follow with interest here and on sub 3:15.  Hope to hang on to your coat tails and come in with a  sub 3:15 too!

Feeling very pleased with myself for bagging a rare 50+  mile week over xmas only to find Liz is advising to take it easy for now.  Ooops. 

• Hi Minni - thankyou.

Do stick around, it's great to have different approaches to consider and debate. You are in good company because I am sure that the lovely Astride will be posting on here and she has done a 3.13 and 3.09 off the 3 run approach. She has a similarly busy life so would be handy to compare notes with.

Alternatively there are others looking to do higher mileage (Caterpillar Girl, GE above - hello) so it's not 'one size fits all' That's what is so interesting about the marathon and running in general I think.

I am not great at 10ks and haven't done a flat one for well over a year. The Coniston 14 is a Club run which I haven't done yet but I know that Rothwell support the race very year, I have heard it's a toughy but a super race.

I am doing a few local races and then the Bath and Reading Half marathons in March. Obviously I have never done these before but I am advised they are flat and good courses.

Racing more than normal what with the usual races, the above and XC. I am a  very nervous racer and that can affect my performance but Liz has advised me not to be afraid to race often and additional miles can be tagged on if needed. I don't know if that advice is what she would give to anyone or because of the nerves but I am sure that will become clear as the thread progresses.

As I said, do hang around!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sue,

I would recommend Coniston.  It is quite tough but its a cracker. Each year I plan to add another 5 miles on to the end but never do it!

Like you I tend to get nervous in races and really need to work on the self belief.  That is why I'm concerned about the 3 day a week - can I push myself enough on those runs? Astride sounds like a good inspiration.

I have trained with CC on the sub 3:30 thread and she is AMAZING!  (Actually her running frightens me!!) So looking forward to following her again this year.  There are a group of us meet at the Green start and she's one of them.

• Sue C - you're right, I am lovely but it was 3:12 actuallyimage.

Hi Minni - I've been posting on the three runs a week thread too, I think you started it. With all this thread posting, I should fill my working day quite nicely.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ha, yes I often think that if I actually got out running instead of reading and posting about it I could probably qualify for the olympics!

• There are many approaches to running a marathon.  I am resting Sue and Meg right now as they have been running on some high mileage for quite some time and have achieved some main goals for 2008.  If they are to progress and build towards London with a fresh mind and body, and to have a peak in fitness on the 26th April 09, then a rest now will determine a peak around that time.   You can only build your mileage based on what you have done previously, and much of their marathon training phase will be used to build endurance and race pace, working on increasing their threshold to make them a more efficient runner.  These are the qualities needed for a marathon. I hope this answers your questions. Oh and Sue, Gobi is a nutter, so take everything he says with a pinch of salt, the man is running obsessed!  I know him well.  Talented and running mad. (All meant in good jest!) Happy New Year! Liz
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sue, listen to Liz she knows best when it comes down to your goals.

Thanks Liz, alway nice to be recognised for what I am :¬)

Happy New Year.

Would you believe I am racing at 11.57PM tomorrow night?
  • Thank you for the reply Liz. I look forward to hearing what you have planned for Sue in the coming months.

Hello Minni. Fancy seeing you here. I take it you are running London again this year - you were sorely missed last year.

• Minni - I will struggle to fit Coniston in this year with all the other time away. Desperately trying not to push my super husbands patience too far. I shall put on my list 'to do'

CG - I am looking forward to hearing what Liz has got planned for me over the coming months too!

Liz/Gobi - been posting on RW for too long not to be aware of the insanity of the GOBI!!!!!!!!!!!

Just five miles again tonight. I am experimenting with the suggested paces/efforts suggested by the Garmin schedule I shall be following. I got 8.17mm for my run when the suggested pace was 8.20mm and it felt not quite easy, more purposeful than yesterday but certainly not hard either.

• I feel better about my 5 miles at 8.13 pace then. I could have slowed down a touchimage. Not that it was 'easy' though, my lungs were protesting greatly and I feel like a great lumbering oaf trying to run rather than a runner. I've only gained 2 pounds but it feels like 2 stone! Damn this illness malarky.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

5m forme today at 8:31 pace.

You've been told now Gobi image but running at 23:57..... NUTTERimageimage have fun!!

Looking forwards to seeing progress in everyones shedules. Hope 2009 is great for you all and a healthy one too.

Take care

• And the same to you RFJ, here's hoping 2009 is a super year for you.

Speedy - you probably just 'feel' that way because you have been ill and not running, I always feel the same. It will come back super quick and the rest may have done some good anyway (get me - I must be a convert)

Gobi - I forgot to wish you luck for the race, I won't think about you - I will be sloshed!

Going to the track tomorrow for an easy session, maybe 5 x 800's at a controlled pace. I haven't done any speedwork at all apart from a XC race since November. That's the idea anyway as Mr C and the kids are coming too so that my eldest can cycle round the track with me and he can get my youngest to cycle on her own.

It may not go so well......

• I did go down to the track (with the family!) Boy it was cold.

I did a mile for a warm up jogging round the track while my son tootled round near me on the bike and then 5 x 0.5 miles reps (he was too impatient to wait for me to change over to metric on the Garmin). I could seriously tell that I hadn't done anything fast for a month and it was a bit of a shock to the system to be honest!!

Whilst training for a 10 miler in November I did 800's sessions a few times at the track and got around 3.03 per rep as a broad average (some a little faster and some a tad slower) Today I was down on that - 3.08, 3.09, 3.08, 3.10, 3.08.

Not too discouraged by that, I expected to be slower than a month ago plus it was freezing and I was a wee bit distracted by the kids. I also decided not to run 'all out' but be a bit more controlled. That's about 6.20mm and bang on again as a time target for the schedule.

If I don't post again then I wish you all a wonderful and fantastic 2009 - may we all achieve our goals, whatever they may beimage

• good run Sue, decent pace I think - you are not training for a 10k but 26.2 after all!

I'd be very happy with 6.20's not "all out"

Have a great night, and good luck for 2009

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

10m for me whilst Jnr was doing a hill session with club. It was blinkin COLD...... 195m for Dec, most of that is base milage.

Godd session there Sue, well done

• It was a start anyway guys! Agreed TT re the fact I am running a marathon, not a 10k!

ps - I say not 'all out' - don't think I could have done 5mm or anything!!!!!!!!!!

• Happy New Year people.

Just a very easy 4.5 mile recovery jog for me today. Legs were tired from yesterday and we (obviously) had a late night so I left the Garmin at home and pottered along slowly.

I saw LOADS of people out running/jogging - hope I still see them in February!

• Happy New Year!

Sue, even though you said your times for your 800s were down they are still very quick.  I did some yesterday too but mine were only about 3:40 (I did have trouble trying to work out the pace to set up in the garmin and forgot I can't hear it beeping when I have my headphones in...).  I was reading about the yasso 800s and if you can do 10 at that speed it will apparently equate to about a 3:08 marathon! 

I reckon there is very little chance of seeing them all out running come February.  I have noticed that there are loads more people out running near me in the last few months though. 

• Dippycat - Liz may see something in my running that my untrained eye doesn't spot but I seem to have the speed and I also seem to have the endurance, it's the 'speed endurance' in the middle which lets me down.

I have read about yassos too but only very briefly. Are you not supposed to jog the recoveries in the length of time it takes you to do the 800m or something too? Did you go to the track to do your session? I programme my Garmin not to tell me my rep time so that I run by feel and get used to maintaining a consistent effort - I can be rather Garmin reliant sometimes!

You session sounds decent enough to me so never mind 'only'!

• Yasso's - I think you can walk or jog for the same time that it takes you to do the 800's so quite a big recovery. I managed 10 at 3:10 last year when fitter.

How are you feeling Sue, are you ready to start the program next week? Kind of starts to make it all a bit real. My long run yesterday kind of reminded me what a big task is ahead of us and how we need to respect this distance. It is a long way - I for one have a lot of work to do.

• I am sure Liz will be a big help to you.  I am hoping that our run club leader will help me with a realistic schedule when he gets back from his iron man training camp in a couple of weeks.  The schedule I downloaded from here seems to be less than I do normally, apart from the length of the long runs. 

I went to the track near where I live.  It's not brilliant due to big pot holes in it, but it's free and great in the warmer weather to take my daughter up so she can ride her bike.  I am useless at knowing what pace I am doing - I don't think I have enough experience yet.  Before I got my Garmin I used to race using my HRM.

I am having a rest day today.  I have done 39 miles since Sunday (plus 3 hours dancing on NYE image)and I know I am okay up to 45.  I did beyond that once and was so tired I could barely move.

You must be very excited about getting started on the training programme.  And it's only 2 weeks to Brass Monkey too.

• Astride - I am nervous, excited, a little impatient to get cracking, interested to see how different the training I do for this FLM will differ from my previous two marathons - in other words I guess it's going to be such a huge part of my life for the next 5 months or so and I want to make the most of all the knowledge and expertise on offer to me. Hoping that I can provide enough information on this thread for Liz to get to know my strengths/weakness and how to get the best out of me.

Mostly though I really really really want this to be more than MY experience, I am hoping that anyone else who can empathise with my situation or who has a similar set of circumstances can contribute and gain something from how my training goes over the next few months and improve their own performance in whatever capacity that may beimage

Dippy - sounds like the track that I frequent (it may indeed be the same one!) Good call to listen to your body and rest. Good solid mileage too, especially for this stage. I usually pb at the Brass Monkey because I in the past I have started marathon training in early December and so have had a few weeks of solid training behind me. This time I may not be in shape to pb but I will settle for a solid run with a cracking result on 26th April! (that's a change in thinking/expectation for me already)

• Astride - don't be too discouraged, the first 20 is a shock to the system and that's a big jump up from your last long run anyway. It will all come back, keep the faith.