Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Options

i took a big gulp when i read that five 20 milers are scheduled!

How many marathons have we all done on here? I did one in 2000 for charity and decided to take up running as a hobby afterwards. I always wanted to do one more, hopefully this training programme will prepare me better this time.

an easy 1.5 mile recovery run for me tonight, 4/5 miler tomorrow. I can just about make up a run of that distance at night time around my town without going up the same roads twice.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

CG - Personnaly I would go for it so you know where you are... I did that with Solent half, the day after a XC race... just said to myself I will go out hard and see where I blow up, note it and ease off..... the opposite happend, went of hard stayed hard and got in a group at 8m still feeling very good, that got me my first sub 90. (I dont think youll find that in ant book though........)!!!!!!!

7m for me tonight from the schedule I have been given and slap bang in the middle of the pacing band too, so happy with that.

Great running all..........

• Options

Sue, for me the training wasn't a great deal different to what I had been doing anyway, except for the added tempo runs and the long runs were way faster than I was used to. I think both of those probably helped my speed endurance somewhat.

5 miles easy done and dusted! I like this slow start, however since my club place form and cheque still have not been delivered (posted 13 Dec) and the deadline is friday it looks like I might not be needing the schedule after all image

• Options

Give them a ring Speedy, give them a ring!!!!!!!

bradnor - I have done 2 marathons, Lochaber 2007 and London 2008 so I am no expert either!

4.01 miles for me last night - time 45.02, bob on as they say oop north! It felt easy (as it should!) and I had to slow down after 2 miles and remind myself of the purpose of the session as I was too enthusiastic pace wise but recovery type runs can be like that sometimes can they?

• Options

Hello and welcome to Sue’s training blog where I’m going to be helping with some feedback as she works towards this year’s Flora London Marathon.  I will be mentoring Sue whilst she follows the Runners World schedules. I’m hoping I might be able to help with her training and recovery, but also her motivation, mental approach to training and racing.  We’re going to have a good time!

Right now is not a time for Sue to go mad and start doing huge miles. She’s keen for sure!  She still has 16 weeks, which is a long time.  For the first 4 weeks it is just about getting some routine into your running and keeping fresh for the really hard training phase which should start at the end of January with 12 weeks to go. By this point it’s important to feel motivated towards your marathon training and not exhausted already! Hold back now and reap the rewards of a fitness peak on the 26th April 2009.  

Sue, with regards to your first question. I would do the races you have planned in January.  I think these are key to you getting used to racing and learning to deal with your event day nerves.  We need to think about approaching racing differently!  We will use these races as training races, as you are not in peak form as we have that planned for the 26th April, but we can use these as good training races, and encourage some pace.

Sue to help you with your ‘racing head’, if it’s okay with you, I would like you to write 3 positives you have achieved in each training week and post them on your blog.  Anything from a good training session, to overcoming an obstacle, being able to complete all the training, recovering well, fitting a run in when you didn’t think you’d be able to etc etc.  The more you get practiced at thinking positively about the running you have done then we can then start to transfer these thinking skills to your racing.  It may take some time but it is amazing how it can help you in the long run (literally!) so I would urge you to have a go.

Well done with your easy 4miles last night!!  Recovery runs should feel easy, so even if you ran a little faster but it still feels easy then don't be afraid to run how it feels. Your gamin should be a running aid, but not rule your head. Another 4 miles today with some strides, this means after a mile of so of easy running, so a 100m- 200m faster paced run, and then settle back into your easy running again. Do this 4-5 times during the run. Focus on a relaxed long stride.

• Options

Bradnor - This will be my 11th marathon with at least 2 more planned later in the year. I don't race them all though.

Well done on your first run of the campaign, Sue. Very interesting to see that Liz is concentrating on the mental aspect of your racing as it's something I struggle with, hence me looking for a get out clause at Brass Monkey. I'm going to race it untapered and see how that goes and then I will have a benchmark for Wilmslow. Care to join me? I'm thinking of starting at 7:15 for the first 2 miles at least to see how that feels and then taking it from there. That would be a chunk off your PB .....

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

This will be my 5th Marathon (all London).  First, I had a club place and went for sub 4 hours, did it in 3:43 but hated it and would not even talk about it afterwards.  I didn't feel as if I'd achieved anything.  Second, I had a goof for age entry and did 3:41, enjoyed it slightly more.  Third, Missed the next year becuase of an op but took my good for age the year after and did 3:31 - LOVED IT! Felt good right from the start and honestly I felt like an olympic athlete when I crossed the line.  Forth, another good for age but finished in 4:15.  Long story of a weekend in London with a daughter with appendicitis and should never have run.

The interesting thing is I have never done any speed training.  My best marathon was done off what I thought was the least preparation - I was very busy at the time and accepted I could only fit in a certain amount of running each week.  I didn't expect to finish under 4 hours!   However, because I didn't have any great expectations I felt relaxed and laid back about it. 

This year I am trying a similar approach of getting the long run and tempo run in along with a speed session (which is a first) and trying to focus on that great feeling of achievement experienced in the 3:31. Who knows!!!!!!

PS. Every marathon is my last! 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I see Liz is here keeping you in check Sue :¬)

I have done 47 races of Marathon and above since 2005 including 17 marathons, I also did London in 1997 as a "fun runner(charity place)"

Draycote 35 in Feb will be Number 50!!!!

I'm a high volume trainer and racer or a BASKET CASE :¬)
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I'm latching onto this thread despite aiming for 3:30, not 3:15. Done more than 10 marathons but never quite got down to 3:30, and am still whittling away at it image.

Good start, Sue - bang on schedule, day 1. Not quite so good for me - I'd brought my kit to work yesterday, and even got changed, but only realised when I got outside that the car park and pavements were treacherous so wimped out. Psychologically, not a great start but should get out in the freezing sunshine today, for today's 4 plus a mile or so of yesterday's!

• Options

Sue I don't know how on earth you managed to do 4 miles in that time!  It must have felt like you were going backwards!!  Have you done strides before?  I keep reading about them, but haven't tried them yet.  It must also be very strange going from such a high volume of running to what seems like not a lot.  I know that is what I am going to find tough when I start my Edinburgh training in a month.  I am beginning to understand the philosophy behind it, but if you already do lots of miles I can't quite get my head round why you need to cut down at the beginning only to build it back to where you were in a few weeks.  It seems to be to do with the different types of training involved, but I do a range of stuff normally as I think most runners do.  Unless I am doing it wrong image (which is quite probable...)

There are some amazing runners on this thread that's for certain.  Doing so many marathons is mind blowing.  And here's me doing my first.  I have heard that it is an addictive distance to run and this thread is making me think there is definitely more than a bit of truth in that.

• Options

Dippy - I think that was a typo, and Sue actually did her 4 slow miles in 35.02, not 45.02.

Or were you really going backwards, Sue?

• Options
    35 mins must have felt slow though!  That's 8:45 min mile pace isn't it?
  • Options

Oops - yes I did mean 35.02 - sorry, that's what you get from trying to do the school run and post on this thread!

Liz - I will have you know it took skill and determination to run EXACTLY at 8.45 ave mmimage  I shall do the 'positives' on Sundays at the end of the training week. It is a good and valid exercise. I have some motivational (Mr C says sad) phrases from various athletes pinned to my fridge to get my sorry ass out of the door when I don't want to but these are more to encourage me to train rather than work on positivity. It works though.

Minni - I read your post with interest as I think the expectations/nerves thing is all linked somewhat. I put a lot of pressure on myself with my running but my best performances are when I am not expecting anything from the race. I also enjoy those races more. Really hope I can beat this as this will be key to me getting the best out of myself on 26th April and enjoying the day. 2008 FLM wasn't my greatest experience either for one reason or another so lets hope 2009 is!

Dippy - I promise that you will cross the line cursing then sign up for another marathon the next day!image

Gobi - Show off! Draycote is supposed to be a nice race isn't it?

Joddly - time is irrelevant as far as I am concerned, it's more important that people feel comfortable and happy to contribute and gain something from this experience. I am sure that RW/Lucozade (plug - great product, meets all your training needs) wanted to reach as many people as they could when they launched the competition. Hope you got to run in the day time anyway.

CG - I suspect that you will run a lot faster than 7.15's judging by a HM pb of 1.31 despite training through the race. I will come back to you regarding your kind offer once this whole training thing settles down somewhat. For Liz's info though - I have already got a voice in my head saying 'you can't do 7.15's' even though my training says I can - how stupid is that?!

I have managed to run before I nip off to collect the kids. Kind of helps having only 4 miles to do. It was very cold and windy and my perceived effort level increased into the wind and uphill for the last mile. I did 5 easy strides and concentrated on staying 'tall' and keeping my stride long (if you can at 5ft 0!)

Overall I ran for 34 mins, covered 4.2 miles and averaged 8.12 mm over a hilly route. It mostly felt 'steady/easy', a little more purpose than yesterday apart from the last mile where I worked a little harder in the wind.

• Options
    Dippy - cross post, yes it felt easy but you feel so much better the next day it's worth being disciplined enough to keep going slow when you know you have more in the tank if needed.
  • Options
    Sue, You are great at protecting your time for running! Well done you. Good run...just simmering!

Liz

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sue, Draycote is an experience for sure. The weather does some wierd things.
  • Options

Liz - my husband might argue that I am a little too good at protecting my running time........

When you next post can I just ask you to comment on whether it's ok to shift my longer run to another day of the week if I don't 'combine' the XC/LSR together. I have no faster sessions to compromise this week and doing it earlier might help my recovery for next week.

I might have a window of opportunity Thursday or Friday if work pemits (which it might not)

Thank you

Gobi - I do have urges for ultras myself for the future, much prefer the longer stuff.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sue, don't even think about ultras until you put your marathon desires to bed. :¬)

As surprising as it is they are not the best of bed fellows.
  • Options

Sue, I assume ultra urges have not been discussed with hubby. Maybe they have but possibly not in the same sentence as the word 'running'.

A birdie tells me you might be in my neck of the woods on the 24th, I may have to come and say hello.

• Options
    Glad all going well Sue - keep it up - did a bit of speed work tonight - trying to keep myself in this forum clinging onto the hope that one day I may be able to do 3.15.....the clock is ticking though - not as young as used to be image but feeling fitter now that have decided to give up my glass of wine every night for Januaryimage !!!
  • Options
    Run Sho Run - use your demanding full time and mother of three young children as an excuse but not your age. Come on, you can do it.
  • Options

there are some experienced marathon campaigners on here, and as for gobi!!  There are a few lads at my club that do ultras, my joints think a marathon is more than enough though! I've done 6 gnr's my best was 1.28 in 2007

good post from liz earlier, i was tempted to throw in the speed sessions already but will follow her advice and leave the serious stuff until the end of the month.

hi cc2, any news on your club entry? 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Bradnor, I have no issues with my joints and would probably think about analysing my running style if I did have.
  • Options
    i'm afraid my joints are beyond help from a new running style gobi, i need a new hip but at 46 have been told to leave it as long as i can before surgery!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    ah bugger but surely fixing your style so the current one lasts longer is a good idea?
  • Options

5 miles easy on the dreadmill for me tonight (I wasn't going to go out in those temperatures in the dark on my own when I have a 3 month gym membership now was I?! image) Really boring, although I occupied myself for ages trying to figure out how many laps of the virtual track I'd have to run. Then the manager showed me how to change it to miles instead of kms. Aaaaah, much better!

Royal Mail declare my club place officially lost, however I rang FLM and the fella said they have a huge pile of club places that they haven't processed yet and they didn't necessarily sign for all of the recorded post ones. So I have to call back tomorrow.

Long run for me tomorrow as I can't do one this weekend. Thankfully it's not *really* long yet. Must pack fleecy warm things to wear!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sue -

Running has been such an important part of my life after having my children.  Its the only time I get to myself; it makes me feel better mentally and physically; its good fun (ha, ha); I enjoy the benefits and also I'm quite good.   I don't mean that to sound big-headed because I'm not that good!  So, that is why I run... Or so I tell other people.  But deep down my competitive streak is there and I compete with myself all the time.  On the surface people will say I've done well but in my head I usually feel I've let myself down.  I think this is where the nerves come from and I really need to do positive thinking about myself and my running.  I like Liz's idea of writing down 3 positive things each week.  

Even tonight I did mile reps (only 2) but at the start of the first I was thinking 'I can't do this'.  I completed the first so felt better starting the second but about half way through negative thoughts started to creep in again.   I finished the second 10 seconds faster than the first.  That is going to be my first positive note. 

Happy running.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Minni - I think your sentiments on setting out for a speed session are completely normal, or at least they are for me! Well done for finishing it, and hold on to that positive feeling for next timeimage.

CC2 - fingers crossed for your 'phone call today.

Sue - how are you getting on with the Garmin, or did you have one before?.

Enjoy those 5 slow miles today, those that are doing it. A bit easier to fit into the day at this length.

• Options

Run Sho Run - With 3 young children and full time work the demands on your time must be immense, you do well to run at all. I couldn't possibly give up the wine so haven't even tried but I do have 3 dry days a week now (used to have a glass every night!) I have now put two and two together from Astrides subtle (as a brick) hints and you are speedier than me anyway so don't  think you can't do that 3.15!

ps - I will divulge that I am rather concerned about that particular target myself but I might be told off for being negative so don't tell Lizimage

Astride - nope, I have a longstanding weekend away with the family so I won't be able to make it sadly.

Minni - sounds just like me but not so much in training (although it does happen) rather in a race environment. Ditto joddlys comment, you did the session.

joddly - I had a 201 and then a 305 so I was pretty familiar with the Garmin (although I don't use all it's features by any stretch of the imagination) The 405 is very different though and takes a bit more getting used to. I haven't 100% made up my mind about it as yet to be honest, it looks good and is super accurate but the battery does seem to run out quickly. Plus the software download to Vista took several attempts (I mean several) and I find the Garmin website rather user unfriendly. And (!) my data downloads wirelessly (cool) but disappears and I have to do another manual download if I want to (which I don't especially much) use the Training Centre.

I don't analyse my data to that degree so that doesn't worry me too much and there are alternatives to the software, sportstrack rings a bell?

My 5 mile run today was grim and entirely my fault. Lesson learned (again). I went out right after a morning meeting to clear my head having not eaten properly last night or this morning. Legs felt heavy and I struggled to get my HR up. 5 miles at 8.32 mm was the result. That will teach me!

• Options
    Sue SportsTracks is indeed the software to use.

It does give you 2 key things:

1- nice mapping (googlemaps?)
    2- custom laps. Regardless of whether you have set the gps to lap or not, ST can plot pace & HR vs distance, by 1/4m, 1/2m, m, 5k, 10k etc - so you can see your pace progression through a run/race.

But then I'm a nerdy tech geek with nothing better to do with my time than over-analyse my runs...

(I only really use it for analysing races, to see how consistently I ran by graphing HR and pace vs total distance.