Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

1585960616264»

Comments

• Copied from 3.15 thread. I am sorry, never usually do this but I am very tired and have a blister to pop!! 

Minni - were we chatting at the start?! I had a red cap and sunglasses on and a yellow vest? I thought afterwards it might be you!

Totally agree with you, the organisational issues need to be sorted (particularly the water) Mr C had pre paid for the car park at the end, you were not allowed to park there until 12.30 ish but he couldn't get near it by then! No signs to the drop off points that we could see either.

So so hot out there today! I had a different priority for this race, just wanted to enjoy it. The heat made it tough to do that in the last hour. Ran really steady 8mm for the first 10 and my legs felt rested and like they had plenty more in them and I felt chatty and positive. Scenery beautiful, the views over the sea super. Liked the course itself too, much more my thing than London.

I don't run well in the heat and after that I noticed my HR climb as the day got hotter. No bloomin sea breeze to speak of either!! So my pace inevitably slowed and if I am being really honest with myself as this wasn't a pb attempt then I didn't particularly fight to hold the pace like I might have done had there been the incentive. Didn't stop once though and came in around 3.37 (flipping Garmin didn't play ball at the start so I think I need to add a bit to my watch time which was 3.36!)

Despite the issues, which I fully agree do need to be sorted, I actually liked the race!, certainly the course. I don't think that you can say you enjoy running in the sort of conditions we had today but looking past that then I would do this one again.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Also copied from 3.15 thread.

Believe me Edinburgh was hotter than anywhere else in the world today. 

I failed to get into the 'zone' of just being able to run at a steady pace throughout, probably due to the heat and fretting about the heat.  Water stations were about every 2.5 miles (although seemed longer) and the bottles were then small so by the time you'd quenched your thirst there wasn't much left to pour over your head.  Also, I tried to carry some for a distance but since they didn't have lids this was a hopeless cause.  Later on I asked for bottles with lids.   There either weren't markers at every mile or I missed them and the first one I saw was mile 4, so it was hard to judge the speed.  However, I found myself doing good 8mm till half way but then the heat really hit and I struggled from there on in.  I plodded on to about 18 miles then had spells of walking to 22 miles.  The sight of my family and a brief talk to them seem to spur me on and I ran the last 4 making up some time.  Final finish time 3:44.

I didn't enjoy it at all.  Too hot with not enough water.  I found myself getting increasingly annoyed about the mile markers and small water bottles, and the final 200m was on a false floor which wobbled. 

Then had a nightmare at the end trying to meet up with my family and kept being sent the wrong way by security men and finding myself at dead ends.  I begged one just to tell me how to get over to a tent, which was visible but with no through route.  I told him I had to meet my children and he started having a go at me saying I shouldn't have left them in the first place!   I was livid - they were with their dad and Grandma! 

Really enjoyed the BBQ at my sister-in-laws this afternoon!

To conclude - a hard run with some downsides, but really pleased with my time.  There was a moment when I thought I'd be over 4 hours but I managed to turn it around to my advantage.  Good experience and hopefully strength, both mentally and physically, gained.  And... got a great tan!

I wonder how everyone else got on?

Update - just read it was 27 degrees today.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

My God Sue!  Yes it was me!  Funnily enough I noticed you because you look very like my running chum that I do most of my training with.  When we were chatting it occured to be that you could be 'Sue C' and I looked for the fame and fortune traits but you seemed too, erm, normal!!!!

Anyway, it was lovely to meet you and I did see you pass me just after we had turned onto that stoney path.  I had to stop for the loo and saw the back of you.  I struggled from that point on.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed your run and even more pleased I met you.  Well done!

• Sue - have you thought about the Arctic marathon at all?

Glad you enjoyed the race, I was thinking about you.  16m was more than enough for me in the heat today.

How funny that you and Minni chatted at the start line and didn't realise!

• Well done Sue, Minni & anyone else who did Edinburgh - blimey, sounded tough up there on the Costa del Scotland. Remember that when you're next shivering on the start line of the Brass Monkey!
  • Sue,

Cracking time given the very non-Scottish weather. You ran a very sensible race and congratulations on getting two marathons run in little more than a month. Congrats also to Minni on the same feat and another excellent time. It was a day that going over 4 would not have been embarrassing. I know, I went out for a mere 7m or so yesterday along Bournemouth beach and found myself reduced to walking every mile or so.

• Hi folks!

Well done Sue and Minni! 

It was a ridiculously hot day.  I can't believe that they ran out of water for anyone running over about 4:30 - it's not like they didn't have enough notice it was going to be hot!  I agree about the lack of sea breeze - felt a vague draft about twice I think.  The organisation at the end was terrible too.  Couldn't actually see the reunion point, but someone said it was quite a walk and just a huge field.

But I did it - my first marathon and I am very pleased with myself - 3:41:44 image - I have my gfa for London next year!!  I managed a fairly even split too - 1:50 and 1:51 which is pretty incredible for me.

Sorry I didn't get chance to come and say hello at the start Sue - I had to wait for my friends who were supporting and looking after my phone and camera and only just made it into the starting pen in time.

Good luck on your next venture - what are you going to try for next?  I am hoping to get my 10k down to 43 mins by Abbey Dash.

• Wotsit - 16 miles yesterday was a super achievement, when's the ultra again? Mad, insane lady!

Dippy - FANTASTIC, go Dippy - brilliant in the heat, closer to 3.30 in the cool I suspect. London next then? 43 mins is a good goal to aim for and Abbey Dash a good course to run a pb! How do you feel today?

In answer to your question, I am running easy in June and then might pick it up a bit in July, I have entered the Newark Half in August but I suspect I will not be at my best but it will give me a bit of purpose anyway, hoping to do the Jane Tomlinson 10k in August at York too if I can wangle an entry via Lucozade!! (looks around for Sho!)

If anyone had time to look at the Edinburgh thread then it makes for interesting reading to say the least, much to get right for next year I think.

AGT - I suspect that had you been running Edinburgh yesterday then you would have been fine, racing gives you far more determination than you think. How's the injury going? You getting back into it then?

Lizzie - give me freezing cold anytime, I love it to run in - colder the better. Brass Monkey for sure, best half there is imho!

Legs bu**ered today!

• My legs feel much the same today Sue!  The school I work in is in an old house so there are loads of stairs which have been interesting to say the least!  Luckily the kids have been very patient with me today image

The Jane Tomlinson York one will be a good one to do.  I'm entered for the Leeds one and hoping that my legs will be okay to race it (3 weeks???).  If not, a couple of my friends are running it so I will probably see if I can help them get a pb instead.

• 3:21 for me which I'm pretty happy with , pity I didn't see any of you but meeting anyone at the finish was impossible so just went to the bar.