Lucozade Sport Super Six: Right Said Aouita (3:45)

Comments

• Thanks Dan! Everything under control other than my running - all  a bit eratic at the moment. I must focus on the goal and schedule in some runs in an organised manner - so that I know what I am doing when. Threshold running is something that I am always keen to pass on - but I got the message on Saturday - the benefits of knowing what pace you are running is massive........will let you know how I get on. Enjoy the week; great to see you on Saturday - I was thinking that you all looked very well; so early on too - you will be fit as a fiddle come race day! Shona.image
  • Hi Dan,

It was good to meet you yesterday. It was definitely a very interesting day. I hope that you gained out of it. 

I forgot to give you my card yesterday; if you have got any personal questions about your nutrition strategy please do not hesitate to send me an email: matt.furber@lucozadesport.com. If they are any more general questions just blog them and i will get back to you, I will be in contact with you on here from now on throughout your London Marathon experience.

Once again, I hope you enjoyed yesterday.

Matt

• shona, good luck with it all, even the threshold training.

Matt, thanks for the note. Your talk was very informative, and backed up what I've read in the past and the advice from the nutritionist. I will let you know any detailed questions, and thanks for the offer.

For those not at the workshop, Matt is from the Lucozade Sports Science Academy, and talked about fuel, hydration, protein, etc. Without dumbing down what he said, as I sit at my desk 2 days later these are the headlines I took out from his talk:

1. Carbs - we have fuel for about 90 minutes running, naturally. Beyond that, you need to take on board extra carbs, both by carbo-loading pre-race, and during the race (hence all the Lucozade Sport products). You can absorb up to 60g of carbs an hour.

2. Protein - the most essential item to rebuild muscles post-training. Try and get 20 grams protein soon after a hard session or a long run. (Over 20grams and the body can't absorb it).

3. Hydration - you sweat a lot more than you think. FYI I lost 0.6 kilos in just half an hour on Saturday - quite shocking. If you lose over 2% of your body weight through hydration, your performance goes right down (and this applies for running, football, anything, etc). So keep hydrated.

As for the running, well

I'm aware this is a running blog not a baby blog, but real-life took over from the schedules this w/end.

Our little girl (7months) was/is a bit poorly, and I was on duty on Saturday night. Sleep was fairly elusive and on Sunday I was a total zombie. I decided that running when you're falling asleep is not healthy (outside the military) and so I'll go today.

Dan

• "I decided that running when you're falling asleep is not healthy (outside the military)"

I can confirm Dan that's it's no more healthy in the military!! 

Good to meet you and the rest of the 'six' on Saturday, 3:45's in the bag for you come April.  Just remember, recovery is what happens in May!!

Kev 

• kev
    good to meet you too, hope the drive back to Cornwall was okay, quite a trip.
    you've influenced me to run at lunchtime, i've just been out with the sunshine, so much better than in the dark in the cold.
    dan
  • Recap time: its week 4 of 16 on the marathon voyage

Its Tuesday, and if you're following the schedule for the rest of the week it looks like this.

Sunday was an 80 minute slow run (which I did yesterday in the sunshine, no problems really) and Monday was a rest day

Tues – 5 x 5 mins @ threshold with a 2 min jog rec between. Warm up and warm down well. Aim to be consistent with effort an pace. Try to run with controlled discomfort but don’t push so hard that you have to slow during the 5 mins.

Wed – Rest or a Pilates class if possible

Thurs – 50 mins with middle 25 - 30 mins at marathon pace (MP) this session will build over the weeks and become key for us.

Fri – 30 min recovery run.

Sat – Rest 

So Tuesday as some of you know, is good old threshold day. Let me know how yours goes. I think I'll find just 2 mins recovery a bit steep, but that's what we're here for i guess.

More anon

• Sounds like a good weekend Dan

Took delivery of my loan Garmin 205 on Friday.

However even the prospect of running with a shiny new gadget could not get me out the door on Friday night to run (Smacked wrist) so Took Friday off! It was a hard week at work, and my 1 hour swim session on Thursday night obviously took more out than I thought.

Ran 10 miles on Sunday in 1:27 accoring to my Garmin. How good are these things! No Jedi mind tricks required. The towpath resembled the canal, and at some points I wasn't sure whether to swim or run. Upon return to home I was banashed to the Garden to remove the Caked on mud before being allowed in. Good chance to try the cold water therapy with the hosepipe!

I have just done the Threshold session as the wife is going away on Sunday so I will have to do the long run this Saturday.  The Threshold Run was Not too bad, but it always feels better when the sun is out. I had 4 dear run across the trail in front of me today (Sometimes it makes you realise What a great release running can be).

Anyway hope your training goes well this week Dan, and others

If you get a chance could you post Sundays run info before Friday for me

Thanks

Mark

• Dan

I am very impressed, you were definalty taking notes! With regards to carbohydrate amounts so you can plan your individual strategy -

The 330ml Lucozade Sport bottles at miles 5, 10, 15, 19 and 23 around the course have 21g of carbohydrate in if you drink it all. (for your training runs the 500ml bottles have 32g of carbohydrate)

Lucozade Gels have 30g Carbohydrate (other brands have differing amounts so check the lable if you are using these)

Dextrose tablets have 3.1g of carbohydrate in

Water has NONE!!

One thing that i didnt have time to cover in the presentation on Sat was the use of Caffeine in endurance performance. If you take a look as a post i put on Sue C's blog, it should hopefully give you a bit more insite into the caffeine. Any questions, as always - just ask!

Matt

• mark  - hi there, it sounds like you're really making good progress. What you write rings bells, although I don't have a hosepipe so I have yet to be banished to endure cold-water therapy. i find that if i'm really knackered then its counter productive to go running, hence on sunday I just thought 'do it tomorrow' which I did.

I'll ask nick re. sunday's run and post it. just a bit of warning though about next week - i'm going away for 8 days on holiday so my schedule's going to be all over the place. apologies in advance. 

matt - thanks for that information, and no, I wasn't taking notes, i just tried to remember a few things otherwise I'm wasting this uncommon experience. I find it difficult to take on board liquid when running - and am trying to improve this, especially after getting a shock with the hydration stats - so the gels are going to be more use for me. 

As for Threshold Tuesday, some thoughts on the 5 x 5 min threshold with 2 min jog recoveries: 

- I see Tuesdays in a new light. I envisage hundreds/thousands of runners and RW forumites diving into their schedules and threshold running and feeling the pain in all corners of the UK, looking for willpower and going to bed slightly wired in that i've-earned-it way. 

-  It makes me think of Liz Yelling ttalking at the workshop on saturday about the last few miles of a marathon. She said something like "the last few miles are ok as I know I can cause myself pain". Her sentiment sums up Lance Armstrong's book 'Its not about the bike". Writ large though the autobiography is not just Armstrong's capacity for pain, but his desire for pain. He sought pain out. Whatever your thoughts on Armstrong, its a great book that I think most RW punters will devour in hours.

- 2 mins goes quickly when you're resting...but don't start walking. big mistake which yours truly made. It makes starting so much harder.  

Enjoy your Wednesday - i'm still no nearer a pilates class but have a DIY schedule from the workshop which I may try. 

• Hi Dan,

Well done with your long run and training so far this week I have sent you a revised plan for the 8 day break in the sun! Have a look and let me know if it looks realistic and achievble. I have taken into account the travel time, energy lost and recovery needed. The first few days will be based around recovery and then we will start to pick the training up again. I have therefore moved your long run that week to mid week, along with the key sessions.

Chat soon and good to hear the thoughts on threshold running. You are definitely starting to master this.

Very best, Nick

• Thanks Nick, it looks good and i'll put it up here later in the week.

Mark and anyone else reading, before I forget this sunday's long run is 120 mins, easy pace. As I wrote earlier, Weeks 5 and 6 schedules are going to be weird as I'm going away with a long flight, but I'll write more on this and hopefully it will make sense.

• Dan, if I find you're sneaking off for some warm weather, high altitude training without the rest of us there'll be hell to pay! image

Wait <looks around, worried> are you *all* going without me?

<nips off to check everyone else's threads for evidence of alterations for holiday plans...>

• Helen, i cannot lie.....and its not going to make me any friends, that's for sure. the wife and daughter have just gone to stay with their father/grandfather in south africa, and i'm joining them next week for a week.

However if I call it a low altitude training trip I am likely to get a perfectly-formed elbow in the head. I promise to try and mask all smugness, which may be difficult. 

• Thanks for the info Dan

Hope you have a nice week in the sun, I'm sure you'll train really hardimage

• mark - you're right, its going to be tough. brutal. i will do my best.

however i don't go for a week, and in the interests of truth and telling the story about 'real-life' training, i've hit another speedbump: conjunctivitis.

Not-so-super-six

i know, add this to the toothache and I look like a walking (running?) hypocondriac. But that's the downside of doing this blog, everyone can see your pitfalls and flaws. My achilles heel seems to be strange yet painful illnesses. What next? Goitre? Gout? Hopefully nada.

I caught it off lola (daughter) before she went, and my god, its a lot less fun than I thought. However since RW is full of tough cyborgs programmed for anaerobic domination, with high pain thresholds and little self-pity, i'll just describe it as 'a bit irritating' and continue weeping into the keyboard.

I'm contagious and have been advised not to run for 2 days. So this thread will be scintillating. Perhaps I'll concoct a haiku on the benefits that wicking brings to my spiritual wellbeing or a poem titled 'My Favouriate 10 mile Carb-Loading Strategy' 

Stay healthy, be happy.

• Hi Dan,

Well done with your week and sorry to hear you have picked up a bug from your daughter. I'm sure it wont amount to much, but if tired, please reduce the length and intensity of your runs over the next few days and keep them at an easy recovery run pace. Training and illness can be a bit of a mine-field at the best of times, and training for a marathon can really emphasise this. The longer runs and training sessions will leave the immune system dramatically lowered for a few hours after training. As the guys from Lucozade have said; eating and drinking the right foods within 20 mins of finishing training will help with optimum recovery and definitely speed up the immune system's return to normal strength.

Many top athletes often hide from the world in the minutes and hours after key runs and training sessions to avoid contact with colds etc when they know their immune system is low. Unfortunately for those of us in the real world, there could be no such luxury. But, eating and planning your recovery strategy is crucial. Simple things like eating before you mix in public areas and wasing your hands regularly will help. Have a chat with the guys at Lucozade to find ways of helping in this area but don't become Micheal Jackson and enjoy your family time please!!! Of course, the wonderful trip in the sun that we are all jelous of will probably be the best remedy for recovery and this is often why runners of all abilities enjoy warm weather training in the build up to their goal race. A chance to get wonderful sunlight, quality rest in between training sessions and an oppurtunity to re-charge the batteries.

Have a great weekend and enjoy recording another successful week achieved in your training diary.

Great stuff!

Nick

• Must be sick week!

I've been struggling with a sore neck for the last couple of weeks nothing major, but annoying. Anyway got to work on Wednesday, and it got progressively worse to the point where by Wednesday night I could barely move my head. Fortunately my next door neighbour is a sports therapist, and a good one at that ahe had a look at it yesterday, put me through the mill and bingo by last noght things were nearly getting back to normal. So I thought I'd leave the Thursday session until today. What happens wake up this morning full of the cold! Arggggh

Anyway got out at lunchtime as I had no temperature, and didn't feel too bad

Having read Nicks advice will see how things progress before deceiding on the LSR distance/time for the weekend.

Monday off work (To look after kids) as the wife is off on a Spa weekend (alright for some, but she does deserve it, we've had a bit of a tough year or so) so hopefully I'll be fully rested and ready for next week.

Hope you get rid of the eye prob have a good one

• Pffftt.... I didn't want a holiday anyway...

I am almost impressed with the conjunctivitis.  Even my illness prone husband has (so far) managed to miss that one.  Do you think your immune system might be a touch down?

Incidentally, my first thoughts when reading your post were 'an illness, when your wife and daughter have left you alone for a week - no work, no training? How convienient!' image

• Nick - interesting stuff, thanks for the comments.I remember reading about the Olympic cycling team who went around washing their hands and door handles for the weeks leading up to competition. I'm very contagious so I have to avoid all human contact, so perhaps I'm more like Leonard Cohen than Michael Jackson -  I think I dance more like Leonard anyway. 

mark - yes, it must be sick week. Quite handy to have such a well-qualified next-door neighbour. I've always thought that the running in the marathon training isn't the problem, its all about staying fit and healthy - you rarely hear people pulling out of marathons because they're not fit enough. I hope the wife enjoys her weekend.

helen - i know it does look suspcious. Perhaps its a well-crafted lie and I've been in the pub for 96 hours drinking malibu. They always say you should exaggerate an illness for credibility, so instead of saying to work 'i have flu' you say 'i've caught dengue fever with malarial undertones'.  Actually I had organised a weekend of revelry knowing the wife would be away, and I've had to cancel it all. But yes, my immune systems is obviously struggling. A bit ominious and I need to take action.   

As for the running - I'm still in a right state with streaming eyes and sleep deprivation, so the training's gone out of the window. Being positive, tomorrow I will feel better.

I WILL feel better.

I WILL FEEL BETTER.

Repeat on an hourly basis. 

• Are you feeling better?

•  Managed to get out on Sunday, but still feeling a bit below par, and as the wife was leaving for her trip decided to just do 11 miles. Last 3 were hard work, but averaged just under 9:00 m/miles.

The snow is obviously going to affect training this week, as it is now very slippery. Hopefully I can get out on my luncthime trail, which should be less slippery than the footpaths. Will have to make the swimming count this week (No sitting around in the sauna this weekimage)

Hope you're feeling better Dan, and looking forward to your trip, could you post the schedule for this week if you have it.

• Hi Dan,

Strangely, I've just been suffering from a bout of conjunctivitis - without doubt the king of illnesses - no sickness/nausea but a watery eye and a ban from public places - including the gym and the office.

Used my time at home wisely and watched The Dark Knight on TV - excellent film - but not if you're after tips for running a marathon. (Unless of course you're thinking of arranging for a man dressed as a Joker to chase you round the course) 

For some excellent training tips I would reccomend watching Galipoli (speed off the line),  Forrest Gump (endurance) or Run Fat Boy Run (autobiographical).

Back to Conjunctivitis - I hope  you're feeling better. If not, I can suggest using freshly boiled water & cotton wool for cleaning your eye, followed by Optrex. Worked a treat for me. (Obviously, let the water cool down first). 

Keep it going and many apologies if I managed to give you conjunctivitis as well as stealing your running shoes.

Slotty

• From the sounds of things it may of been the running shoes that gave both of you conjunctivitis
  • Hi Dan, I have left you an answer phone message. How are you, and I hope you are feeling better? Not sure if you have gone to SA or not. I hope you have as I am sure the trip would really help. Regarding the immune system – yes I agree but actually a further chat with the nutrition guys at Lucozade would help even more I suspect.The real problem you have as a dad with young children (I have 2) is that you will come in from a run tired and the immune system will be low. The children then breath all over you (they are allowed to as we love them) but they carry every bug under the sun. Inevitably you end up with more than your fair share of coughs and colds. There are ways to boost the immune system and it doesn’t involve locking the children away in a dark place.  Keep your chin up and I recommend no more than a relaxed 30-45 min recovery run most days until this passes. Most athletes will have a bad moment or week or so in a long build up to a marathon. You will bounce back and there is certainly still plenty of time. Take care and keep me posted,
  • Dan, sorry to hear you've not been 100%... as another "dad" I can sympathise.  I also didn't realise that the immune system picks up so quickly after a long/hard session.... I thought that training (and particularly racing) lowered it considerably for longer periods.  Perhaps we should stay in a child free zone for half an hour post run until our IS has bounced back to full strength!

Get well soon.... image

• Nice try PSC - sure the wives will go for that one! image

Dan, I can't believe your holiday timing.  You're missing all the bloomin snow and treacherous running weather image

• Just read this from the start - lots of good information, thanks. I remember the distress of conjunctivis picked up from my daughter, hope you're better.

The biggest change I've made for this years training is the refuel after running, and it is making the next run so much easier. As well as increasing my carbs I've also started popping multi-vit supplements not sure if they help but I'm desperate to get to the start line.

Look forward to reading your progress.

• Ah, holiday... yes missed that one!  I just thought he was skiving!! image
  • Hi Dan & Nick

Good thing Dan's on his hols , hopefully managing to get some good warm weather training away from all this snow, but I'm sure he'll be devasted to miss the England v Wales rugby on Saturday image.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Blimey - is there anyone about?

Just wandered across here in search of new companions, but it's all rather quiet! I'm just feeling massively relieved to have let go a totally inappropriate 3:30 target, having let the pressure of an unrealistic programme ruin all my (dwindling) runs.

Looking forward to joining you when you're back! And I hope you're recovered, Dan, and have had a great trip (you've missed glorious weather, though.........image)