Lucozade Sport Super Six: fat face (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Steve ...RESPECT....WELL DONE
  • cheers Steve - will take that on board. Well done on your run and again massive thanks for the free advice you have dealt out with a genorous hand
  • Lou7 wrote (see)
     Will we all get a support team together for FF in Nottingham?  His own personnel cheering point?

Sounds like a plan, and it would mean that the sub-four just got postponed and moved up the country a bit, as well as giving RW an ongoing story with a happy ending.

We could do the half as an option, then be there to cheer and hand out jelly babies/encouragement/abuse/whatever  from 13 onwards?

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

I've booked the time off work and will definitely be going for it.

Yes, there's a half mrathon as well and also a relay event which is for teams of 5.

• Okay, 13th September is in my diary!

I'm up for doing the half and then we can have some cheering points along the way for FF's sub 4 marathon!

As Hash says, just postponed and moved up the country a bit.  FF you can still be a super sixer and  have a day all to yourself.  And yes, great story for RW.  Those of us who you have helped over the last few months on this forum get the opportunity to give a little support back and celebrate your sub 4.  Which we all know you will get.  image

• Count me in too....A half seems more appealing todayimage.
  • Just watching the highlights on TV, I saw myself struggling by as a blurred image. I did 4.12.08. It was going well till mile 18 (halfway in 1.55), I went over on my ankle thanks to a stray lucozade bottle just before the 18 mile mark, that wasn't too bad though, after 10 minutes slower running it was ok (good advice on the website), but then tiredness kicked in after 19 miles and I really struggled over the last 7 miles.

The day was brilliant, the crowds fantastic, the weather lovely (my wife and friends had a better day then last year), the reception organised by Shelter - fab and the post run Youngs Best Bitter was very very tasty.

Although I was a bit disappointed not to do sub-4 hours, that was maybe a blessing as it gives me a real spur to up my training and lose a bit of weight, I think the disappointment could be equated to the disappointment when Middlesbrough manage to get a draw against someone like Man Utd, I'm pleased but wished they could have scored that chance that hit the post.

I'm entering next year today and aiming to do Dublin in October.

The quest for sun 4 continues..............................

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Fat Face - when I read your news I was gutted for you. Hope you recover quickly. Good luck & best wishes for the future.
  • Fat face!!!!!!! OMG, what a blow! had been thinking I'd not checked in for a while, was going to post a good luck message last week and couldn't find the thread....???!!! what can I say.... commiseration cake maybe? Was away before Easter and raced in Washington DC (my first 5k) does this make me an international athlete?  Racing the UK vs Tri-nations 10k this Saturday with Running Aussie - he might sort out your core conditioning, I feel like we all need to pitch in, I'll speak to him tomorrow, he's not that far from Finsbury.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    What wretched luck and rank bad timing FF. Best of luck with the Notts capaign, onwards & upwards.

Still a great run on reduced mileage Steve, well done.
  • Well done on those who got PBs.

I did the stratford marathon which was hot as well and hilly!!! Standing on the start line in shorts and vest I was warm  so I knew it was going to be a hot one but decided to give the sub 4 a go anyway.  Was fine for the first hour then I noticed my pace was dropping slightly (still sub 4 though).  At halfway I was still on track 1.57 but it was feeling harder than it should feel at halfway (legs ok but breathing hard).  At around 15 miles there was a hill and I just couldnt be bothered any more.  I am doing the Edinburgh marathon in 5 weeks so decided at that hill (I had been pondering this for a few miles) that this was no longer a race but I would turn it into a training run.  I wasnt going to get sub 4 (hadnt lost it yet but knew I would soon) so rather than giving it all out effort to the end I would back off thereby minimising my recovery time before my next one. 

From then on I had lots of walking breaks and didnt bother about time, just thought I would like to do under 4.30, had no idea what pace I was going when I was running but I deliberatly went slower than I could.  When I got to 22 miles I had a look at my watch and realised I could still PB if I did 10mm to the end so I stopped having my walk breaks and ran to the end.

To be honest they were the easiest 4 miles of a marathon.  I was tierd but I wasnt hanging on for dear life like I usually am at the end!!  The easing off at 15 miles revived me, I felt like I could have picked up the pace a bit if I had needed to but there was no need.

I finished in 4.09 which gave me a 90s PB. 

I was dissapointed not to get sub 4 but given the conditions I am ok with it.  AS someone said earlier, a 90s PB is a bit poxy for loads of hard work but it would have been more had the weather been better.  Am looking forward to some cooler weather in Edinburgh and will have another crack at it.!!

•  Hellen....Well done on thePB!image A PB is something to celebrate whenever, especially on a hot hilly course !
  • Great stuff Hellen, well done - 4:09 with some walking sounds like you'd have come really close - am impressed by your self-discipline.  Got a friend running in Edinburgh.....he also reckons it'll be cooler.....hmm, hope so!  Make sure you do serious recovery - i s'pose the best thing about running 2 marathons is the ongoing carb loading and tapering???

Signed up for the Greenwich Half today, in September and just one achilles to sort out now and think I'm almost out of the end of the obvious pain.  

Am missing the thread/chat already...there isn't one for Greenwich Halfimage

• Hey FF, will you keep on this thread as you prepare for Nottingham - or join another?
  • hey ff, I did manage to speak to RA, (personal trainer extraordinaire) and he's willing to help out if you're interested; core strength and conditioning is a bit of a speciality for him.  Let me know...Hope you do keep this thread running btw, Simbux is right!
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I made some enquiries about Nottingham today. It's a definite for me as far as I'm concerned. Sezz is deffo doing the Nottingham half. I mentioned it to a work colleague and he said he's going to do the full mara as well, so hopefully when the porker has lost weight he'll be able to keep up with me and keep my company. (only joking Mark)

WL - Thanks for speaking to RA for me and I'll keep it in mind. I need to find out what the problem is before I do any specific exercises.

My back is loads better today (as I knew it would be). I jogged 200 yards up the road at lunchtime and it wasn't too bad at all. I'm not back training yet though, I'll try after the weekend I think.

Can I just thank everyone for all their kind words over the last few days. It's very much appreciated. Thanks also for joining in over the last few months. It's been a hoot hasn't it.

As far as keeping the thread going, yes, why not. The ending of my FLM campaign was very unsatisfactory and as far as I'm concerned there's some unfinished business to sort out.

So Nottingham here we come.
  • Great news FF - it would be great if you keep the thread going.  It's not the end of your campaign all in - it has just been extended and it would be great to keep up with your training.  And we have a few months to get your support team together.  I really value the support I got from this thread over the last few months so its payback time!

Steve - I meant to say wow - congratulations on your time, your speed is amazing and thanks for your help and support over the last few months too.

Hellen - I hope you get on well in Edinburgh - I ran it 2 years ago and really enjoyed it.  It's a fast flat course and you are always guaranteed cooler weather in Scotland!

• Ilike Edinburgh lou, I did it the last 2 years after FLM and have always done better there than at London, just not too keen on the wind!

Ran on Monday and Tues, quads are a little tight but feel 100% normal now.  My only problem is my toenail!! Its always the same one.  IT gets aggrevated in a marathon and then I have to be really careful with it for a couple of weeks.  One time I did  a marathon and it was fine then the next time I ran it was really bad.

• Respect to you hellen doing another marathon so soon!  I have friends who have done London and Edinburgh within weeks of each other too and have also ran a faster time in Edinburgh.

I think I'm going to focus on some half marathons this year and try and get my time down.  I finally got my application for the ballot in for London next year so fingers crossed otherwise I will do either Paris or Edinburgh next year and join the support group at mile 17 in London as they were fantastic this year.

I had a massage today so my legs are feeling much better - how's everyone else feeling? 

• Edinburgh sounds like one to try next year,even though I have applied for London...I have unfinished business there!!image

I had my massage yesterday and legs feel great today....its the rest of my body thats the problem !!! Have about 10 cold sores, a throat infection and feel shattered. Have never felt like this after a marathon before and am fed up with non-runners telling me how bad marathons are for the body.image

On a more positive note cant wait to run again!!!

• Oh Dee....sorry you're feeling under the weather....that's a shame. I used to be such a non-runner. Some would argue that although I'm no longer a non-runner I'm still not a real runner....I think it's fantastic that all you people get out there and can run a marathon and I look back at when I would have thought "marathons are bad for the body" and I know it was only because I couldn't imagine being able to do one myself. So don't listen to them, think of all the wannabe runners you've inspired,  take good care and get well soon. (Tell them it's swine flu actually).  I'm looking forward to a carbo load supper on Friday pre Saturday's 10k; ultimately my true colours show and I admit my stomach always comes first..... don't know if you remember my GP, he raised almost £9k, and finished in 4.21, over 4 and a half stone lighter than when he started training! Good for the body, mind and spirit I'd say!
  • Dee - poor you!  Don't listen to these non-runners!  I was hobbling round my office yesterday but at the same time was in a fantastic mood and couldn't help laughing at the concerned looks on people's faces at how slowly I was moving and uncomfortable I was.  I was told I was a very bad advert for running - seriously!  But on the bright side a few of them are training for their first 10k and are seriously impressed that I ran 26.2 miles.  image

Dee are you going to Nottingham?  The one thing I regret from the weekend is not getting to meet up with some of the people from this forum - would be good to do so at some point.

• hope u feel better soon lou, it is quite common to be ill after a marathon as the immune system is depressed.

I have done flm followed by Edinburgh twice now and have found it fine

Legs totally normal today, quads were a little tight Mon and tues but not too bad, have done a short run every day this week but my hr is higher than normal so I am obviosly not recovered. Resting hr was up 9 beats this morning but that is normal for me following a marathon
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Evening peeps.

It does sound that you're all feeling the after effects of a hard days running on Sunday.

Dee19 - the cold sores sound nasty. I sometimes get them if I'm out in the Sunday too long. I hope they clear up soon.

WL - didn't your Doctor do well. That's brilliant.

Lou - I had people at work yesterday telling me I was moving gingerly as well. Anyone would have thought I had a bad back.

Hellen - sounds like a few more easy days are needed to recover from Sunday. Take it easy.

I know I didn't actually make it to the start line on Sunday, but I've thoroughy enjoyed the Super Six experience. I am so grateful that I was chosen and the help I've received from Steve MC (and Nick and Liz), the Lucozade team, the Fast Track Team and the RW Team was superb. I've learnt a lot about how to train properly and more effectively and also a lot about my capabilities. I've always set my sights to low and I now know that I can and will achieve much more. By training effectively, I'm running faster than I was 20 years ago and hopefully I can continue to improve for  a few more years to come. Frighteningly enough I'll be 50 in 4 years and it would be great to say that I'm faster at 50 than I was at 20!!

It's also been great to read all the comments on this thread so thanks everyone for joining in. I'm sure there will be another Super Six competition next year. If they do, enter it as it really is a prize worth winning. Having to blog your training is one hell of a motivator.

But this thread ain't dead yet image, is it !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lou...yes have decided to go to Nottingham but not sure whether to do the half or full. After such a dreadful run Sunday I feel I have something to prove to myself, but it will be good to have the option to do a half on the day if its hot again !!!!

I agree it would be great to meet up with everyone after all the support there has been on this threadimage

Wide Load, I think if you put on trainers and get out there you ARE a real runner.image Incredible fund raising, weight loss and time from your GP !!!!!

• I'll probably do Nottingham as it is only half an hour away from me. Have entered abingdon in October so will probably do notts as a training run.

A lot of people in my club do notts, it is a good event ( have done the half) but it is usually quite warm ( which is why it will probably be a training run), also, in the second half it goes around the water sports centre which apparently can be very windy.

Having said that I have done a 10 mile race around there and it has been fine. It's just worth being aware of these things
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Someone say windy image
  • Hellen I'm amazed that you could run on Monday and Tuesday.  Monday I was a bit sore, Tuesday I was staggering around the office like John Wayne!  Today was a bit easier, which is just as well as I'd agreed to take a couple of newbie runners doing R4L out for their training run.  My quads were screaming to start with, but actually I think it might have loosened things up a bit, so neurofen and red wine muscle relaxant is called for.

Dee, tell me about it re the non-runners' advice.  I wouldn't mind, but one of them dispensed their pearls of wisdom after nipping out for a fag break, and was gassing me with the dragon breath at the same time!

Nottingham is a fair old trot for me, and would need an overnight hotel stop, but I'm up for it if everyone else is.  Can we all stay at the same place if other people are in the same boat, and if so then any (cheapie!) recommendations?

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    The start and finish is fairly near to the Trent Bridge cricket ground (walkable) and I'm sure there will be loads of B&B's near there. We are away for a few days but lets look into accomodation when we get back. Cheap and cheerful does me as long as I can get coffee, porridge and toast and honey for breakfast.