Lucozade Sport Super Six: fat face (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Have a good holiday FF.

Nottingham will be open to conditions on second half but at least its flat.

a solid marathon for you Wardi - see you gave it a go.

My legs are still awful - I'm not sure a massage I had right after the race did me any good. I went to a track meeting briefly on Monday and had difficulty cycling there and saw a runner who I passed at the 23 mile mark at London do a 200m and 5000m.

walking is still a problem let alone running Wednesday pm

• flipping eck - anyone seen their photos on marathonfoto??!?!?!?   I knew I was feeling some pain, but I need to go on a sunbed-infused diet.....

seriously though, pleased as I am with 4:04, I have been reflecting that I wonder if I shifted some of my body weight I'd go faster - anyone know if this is necessarily true?  I'm 100kg, so plenty to shift around!

• Hashette, I think the reason I was able to run on monday was a) I have done quite a few marathons now so it gets easier the next day and b) at around halfway, when I knew sub 4 was not going to happen I decided to give up on pushing and treat it as a training run doing a bit of walking as well and not bothering about time.
  • Hi FF.  Lovely to catch up with you on Sunday, just a shame about the circumstances.  Just checking in to see that your back is getting better. image
  • Hi everyone, I will need somewhere to stay in Nottingham too but I'm totally up for it.  I've decided to focus on shorter distances over the next few months and get my half marathon and 10k times down.  Hopefully then I can build to a faster marathon again next year.  I still think I could go a bit faster if I got my training right and like you Simbux want to lose a few(?)  pounds.  I definately run faster when I weigh less and it feels so much easier.  Marathon training always makes me very hungry!

• Plus running a marathon means you have no choice but to eat like a scaffolder.  I usually do a half on just a big doorstep of bread beforehand, but the marathon involved a two doorstep sandwich and massive crust of bread and jam beforehand, followed by 18 jelly babies en routeimage

• Thats clearly my problem, I eat like a scaffolder all the time !!!!!image

Have taken the plunge and entered the Abingdon Mara in October and will use Nottingham half as a training run. Now need to find out when to start training. Do I start the plan we used for London 16 weeks before ? Never having run more than 1 Marathon a year this is all new territory !! Hope everyone is recovered, a beautiful day for a run and the legs are willing...shame the throat and ear infection dictate otherwise. image

• Good for you Dee - I'll join you in Nottingham but definately not Abingdon!

I used to run regularly then stopped until about 2.5 years ago when I went straight into marathon training and have been doing since so I am looking forward to training for a half instead!

In 2007 I did Edinburgh in May and New York in November.  I had a short break and then started training again but didn't start from scratch.  I dropped my long runs a bit and tried to do them faster and rebuild.  Pre New York was the fittest I have ever felt before a marathon.  Then I pulled my hamstring on the day and had to walk/hobble the last 4 miles.image

Good luck with the training.  I've got a sore throat and cold now too.image

• My sore throat has gone, but I've had a terrible disappearing voice all week.  Always helpful when you are a lecturer! image

Fatface - we're off camping in your old tent this weekend.  I feel it should have some kind of blue plaque out front with your name on.

• Good to see everyone getting back into the swing again. I managed a cycle yesterday along the seafront in the sunshine and will try a gentle run over the weekend. Am just really sleepy at the moment.

Re the dangers of running marathons.Boring trivia but I heard a history of the Boston Marathon the other day. The first run attracted 17 runners each followed by an ambulance because they were so worried about heart damage. Sounds like a plan! 

Have got over my sulk at missing 4hrs and think I may enter the half in Nottingham if I can persuade the Timelady so hopefully catch up with some of you. 

FF hope you had a good break (presume you reading this on return)

• Well it's over a week since the marathon and all is quiet on here!  My legs are finally getting back to normal but I haven't ran yet, will do tomorrow night.  Just an easy 4 miles or so I think.  Then I need to start thinking about half marathon training.  I don't want to let all the work go to waste just yet!  How's everyone else feeling?  Is this now a Nottingham Marathon/Half Marathon thread?!  Let's keep it going, it's been fun.image
  • lou, I don't know how you have managed to go so long without running. I have been out every day since the marathon! Legs were ok, they recovered quite quickly but I have been quite tierd and my hr is still higher than it should be.

I said my legs were ok, they are tierd now. On sat I ran 19 hilly miles checking up on kids on d of e. Was pleased they were ok for that. On Sunday was just going to do a few miles but had a big chocolate pig put so did 10 miles. My legs were tierd from the hilly run the day before but running on tierd legs is good training. Today they were still heavy for a little 5 miler. All my runs have been 10-11mm so far. Hoping to do some speed stuff this week.l
  • Hellen you are making me feel very lazy now!  Well done you! 

My legs were completed gubbed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and I started back at my fitness classes (very gently) for the rest of the week but have been enjoying the rest.  I'm really looking forward to getting back into it all though and working on my speed.  I really want to get faster over the half then hopefully start my marathon training stronger next year.

It's the Glasgow Half Marathon (which I do every year and is my favourite race) the week before Nottingham but I think I will do them both.image

• Lou, I think it came out wrong, I was admiring your self control at doing the sensible thing and resting after a marathon rather than getting straight back in there!!!

I have found that this last 12 months I have finally started getting PBs at shorter than marathon distances - did my first marathon 2 years ago and for about 18months did really rubbish at shorter distances and couldnt get the times I used to get. 

I think moving up a group at running club helped a bit.  Before marathon training I moved up a group but then I found that having done a LR on Sun my legs were not up to a hard club run on Tues.  Now I am used to the distance I have moved back up a group (not every week though!!).  I also try to do intervals on a Thur although this time around I havnt done many because I have had more races than usual.  If I have had a race on Sunday then I have done a mini interval session of say 4 x 400m.  I used to think it wasnt worth it but when you add up all those mini sessions I think they are!! I have had some really good PBs at shorter distances recently as a result of these and a couple of other tweaks to my training.  I havnt really increased my milage much but just challenged myself a bit more

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Evening peeps.

Good news and bad news I'm afraid. The bad news is that I'm back from my holiday coz I wanted to stay longer but the plane wouldn't wait. The good news is that I managed a little run whilst I was away. We went out first thing in the morning before the temperature hit 30C.

So I'm officially back in light training mode.

Steve, I'll be calling upon your expertise with regards to  what I should be doing for the next few weeks.

It's good to see everyone is still here.

• Welcome home FF and glad the back's behaving. 

I think I'm mostly back to normal.  I had to do a very short run on Wednesday to start some friends doing R4L on their training plan, and it must have been cure rather than kill, thankfully, as it seemed to loosen everything up.

Got a date clash for 13th Septemberimage.  It's the Grunty Fen half, it's the one race of the year that most of the hashers do, complete with beer stop at mile 5.   I'll carry on lurking around though, even if I am training up for a different half

• good to see you back ff, glad u managed a run
  • Welcome back FF - good to hear you managed to run on your hols.  So we are waiting for your new marathon training programme.  You said blogging your training was a great motivator so you've no excuse to stop now.  Good luck!
  • welcome "home" ff, easy does it now.... I ran a pathetic 10km on Saturday and was really cross at not having put in half the training I should have done in the preceding weeks. Was hoping around 58 and did it in 61.36..... it was very hot with an 11 am start, but it says something for my effort levels that the pain in my thighs is from sunburn, having been out there so long, rather than muscle fatigue. was most grumpy about it for a bit but with nobody responsible  for failure to train other than myself;  not really sure what happened because I was past halfway in 28 minutes, possibly set out to fast, did the first k in 5.24...... a nice clotted cream tea cheered me up. 12 weeks till my half. must try harder.

how is dee doing??

• hurrah - thought I'd check back in to see how people are doing.

hellen - you scare the pants off me....am deeply impressed with the ability and motivation!  So my first run since the FLM was last night - fairly pacy 5 miles, my legs were happy to go free and easy and I let them, it was nice not being encumbered with a target pace.  I have a 10k in couple of weeks and have signed up for the Greenwich Half in September.

Last week I bought (and read over the weekend) 'Ultramrathon man' - by Dean Karnazes - has anyone else read it??   He's nuts - stories of him discovering running, and then running a 100mile race through the rockies and later on a 199 mile race (!) - no sleeping - and good stories of him ordering and eating greasy pizza and Taco Bell on the hoof.  Just starting another book by him - 50 marathons in 50 days - it ends in New York where he runs 3:00.   Puts stuff into perspective!

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Hellen is a bit scarey isn't she image

Anyway, 4.2 miles today in 32.29. I don't know what the run was supposed to achieve, but obviously it was too fast and it made me feel a hell of a lot better.

• Hi All ,and FF good to hear youre back and running again. Finally felt well enough to run on Sunday , so with the late afternoon sun not too warm, I ran with my sister along the river and it was wonderful !!!! Legs felt great and probably went faster than I should but got into the 'zone' and just went with it .imageNow trying to combine the running with some weight loss as convinced it will make a difference to my training and I think I may have carbo-loaded longer than absolutely necessary.image

Simbux..I have read the book and loved it ! I would love to do an ultra in the not so distant future, but agree hes rather extreme ....Pizza on the run ????

W.L...After London I think all hot sunny races should be banned so have every sympathy with your 10k run, although sun-tanned legs are always a plus.image

Am now looking forward to my new goals of Nottingham and Abingdon and have even booked Centre parcs for the weekend of the half !!! image

• FF...Clearly a speed session !!!!
  • Ok much better today - a slow hilly 8k loop in a comfortable 55.32. Just steady but felt nice. A few more of those and I'll be back in the swing of it and should be able to start working on picking up some "speed" (ha ha). Am going to try out the Richmond parkrun this Saturday and see how I do over 5k.  Dee let me know how you get on with achieving weight loss; I have been resolutely the same weight since before I started running and the only discernable dip was after a week in the US gorging on junk....came back 4lbs lighter?? (maybe it's undigestible....there's a theory?)
  • Hi everyone, really good to see this thread is still going strong!

FF great to hear you got a run in - speedy as usual, some things never change!

Simbux, I have read that book too - that guy is crazy - he would run all through the night and ordering pizza deliveries to meet him on the run was hilarious.  Great read though.

Dee, glad you are feeling better.  I am joining you and wide load with weight the loss thing, I really fight with my weight.  The more I exercise, the more I seem to eat and I always put on weight when marathon training.

As for scary hellen - I'm thinking of joining you in the Edinburgh Marathon.  I got offered a place today and I surprised myself how excited I was at the prospect.  I've done Edinburgh before - great marathon, flat and not too crowded like London.  Very  likely nowhere near as hot either.  I'm delighted to finally get my sub 4 so wouldn't be worried about a time.  Advice please!  Hellen, what kind of training do you have planned up til then.  3 weeks on Sunday isn't it?

• Lou...and you think Hellen is scary ?....another marathon in 3 weeks..are you mad girl ???image At least its not long til you start to taper.image 
  • Just what I was thinking - taper starts on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Lou - I fancy Edinburgh sometime. I was thinking about it on FLM day but logistically it wasn't going to be possible. I'll do it one day, it's a fab city.
  • Lou, def you must do Edinburgh, it is like a mini london really, not as much support but you can run properly, none of this elbowing and dodging lark!!!!

This is my 3rd year of doing both marathons, I am never quite sure about the training between the two! This year I did more last week than normal because I didnt race my marathon to the end, I raced to 15mile then jogged so didnt need as much recovery.

Essentially, last week should have been recovery week so whatever you feel like doing.  This week, for me is going to be pretty much a normal marathon training week so and will be very similar to what I did 4 weeks before my last marathon.  But because you raced the marathon and are probably not as recovered as I am then I would suggest that this week be 50-75% of a normal week and if you havnt done any intervals yet this week then perhaps a small interval session or tempo run just to get the legs moving faster.

I feel the need to do a 20-22 mile LSR 3 weeks before a marathon so will do that this weekend.

Next week would normally be the taper but you will not have much training to taper from since you tapered from your FLM training. So, ideally I would do the same next week as this week but with 12 miles as my LSR.  However, I have a 5 mile race on Sunday so will rejig things a bit.  I would say for you to probably do a bit more than this week during the week than last week then whatever you did LSR wise 2 weeks before FLM (I know a lot of schedules say 18 miles, I never do that but if you did that for FLM and thoguth it was OK go with it but I think 12 is sufficient)

The following week I will cut back but not quite as much as I did before my first marathon, I might find myself doing my 12 miler on the Mon.  Then the week before I willl prob do the same as the week before my first marathon or maybe a bit more but will see how I feel, if tierd will do the same, if ok will do more as I will be on half term so will be going mad tapering!!

Hope this helps, feel free to mail me!!

We are in slightly different situations in that you may well want to do just enough since you already have sub 4 whereas I want to train quite hard, also, you raced the marathon wheras I only raced 60% of it. 

If you are not bothered at all by time and dont want to race it but just jog it then I would forget the taper and just have friday and/or saturday off.  I did a marathon in Feb as a training run and didnt taper for it, was fine with it, just had the sat off!

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Wowzah Hellen. That's a hell of a post.

I ran home from work this evening (I saved meself a quid I did!!!) doing 5 miles in 41:23 and I found it hard going. I was having a think about how much running I've done in the last 3 weeks and the answer is "not a lot". Take into account the taper and the injury lay off and I've only really done a bit.

The mile splits were 8:27/8:20/8:07/8:09/8:14 so fairly evenly paced and I'm happy with that.