Lucozade Sport Super Six: fat face (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Its not a long way.  Its a *very* long way.

Though, according to a horrifying number of people who live locally to me, doing half that distance isn't very far at all.  In fact, you don't need to really train for a half marathon, do you?

Consequently, I am going to watch said half marathon.  Sounds like its going to be a hoot!

• FF...Fantastic time...now you start to see the results of all that training, well done you !!!

Wotsit..heres hoping St Johns ambulance will be watching too,suspect they will be busy.image

Lou..good call,really believe you have to be mentally ready for 26.2 miles, plus you should still be revelling in your wonderful sub 4.image

Had a lovely 7 mile run Saturday evening. Joined a friend on her leg of the Green Belt Relay, from Toot Hill to Blackmore. Fantastic event and would thoroughly recommend it. Some very fast runnersimage

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Thanks for the congrats peeps.

I filled in my "Ill or Injured" London Marathon entry form today image  then I went to the running club and I now have a hurty hamstring. I'm hoping it's just cramp but I daresay I'll know for sure in a day or two.

• FF.. Hope the 'hurty hamstring' is not so hurty. Such beautiful weather for running at the moment. Hellen.....what with it being half term,prob wont get a chance to post before your big run, so lots of luck and ENJOY.image

• Hi everyone, I hope you are all enjoying this fantastic weather!

How's the hamstring ff? 

Hellen - good luck for the tomorrow - I will be rooting for you - go girl!!!!!!

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

It's another beautiful day isn't it. I've been sat in the sun in the park and now I'm going to have a bite to eat.

Hellen - if you see this, good luck tomorrow and I hope it's a bit cooler than today.

It deffo is a minor hamstring problem and thinking back I have felt tightness in that leg going up to my bum. It's miles better now though but I'm not going to run for a few more days.

• Edinburgh was horrid, well the weather anyway, apparently 27 degrees.  I tried for sub 4 but realised after just a few miles that it wasnt going to happen so just plodded around slowly and tried to enjoy it at least a little bit.  Finished in 4.27 which for a training run in the heat is OK I suppose but I still havnt got my sub 4!!
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Well done for even finishing in that heat Hellen. It was a bit hot on Sunday wasn't it. You'll get that sub 4 one day, I'm sure of that.

I've still got a sicknote I'm afraid. I tried a very easy run home from work on Sunday and only about about 50 yards. I could feel my hamstring in exactly the same place so I pulled up immediately and got the bus home. I guess rest is the name of the game at the moment. I'm bookedm in for a sports massage on Thursday so that should help. I'm doing a fair bit of walking at the moment as that doesn't cause any problems. So just the 7 miles walked today.

• Well done hellen!  Hat's off to you running in that heat!  I remember saying to you not that long ago that Edinburgh is great and you are almost guaranteed much cooler weather than London.  I will keep my mouth shut in the future!  image

I had a few friends running and everyone really struggled in the heat - I heard they ran out of water and that several people were collapsing around the route.  Sounds like the organisation wasn't great this year which is a shame.  The year I ran it, I really enjoyed it.  Well, I have my deferred place to use next year.

Has anyone ran Dublin before?  I seriously fancy it!

FF sorry to hear you still have a dodgy hamstring but you did the right thing stopping.  And I would always recommend a sports massage!  Hope it heals up quick - you ain't having much luck at the mo are you?

5 miles for me tonight.  First 3, sub 8's, last 2 got slower and slower and I was struggling in the heat!  The thought of 26 at that temperature - no thanks!

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

I seriously fancy doing Dublin as well. It's a great place to go but it won't be this year.

The dodgy hamstring is still dodgy. I've left it another week and had a sports massage but it tightened up again after a mile this morning so I was left walking back again. At least a mile is better than the 50 yards I managed last weekend. At this rate I'll only be doing the Nottingham Half I reckon. I can't see myself being fully marathon fit but we'll see.

On a really bright note though. Sezz seems to be loving running again and is thoroughly enjoying the running club. Great news image.

• That is good news about Sezz image

Rubbish news about your hamstring though.

Hey - maybe you could pace us all round to a 1:59:59 finish at Nottingham? image

Fingers crossed that the hamstring improves quickly.  I'm battling with having irritated my plantar fascia by wearing girlie shoes post marathon.  That'll teach me.  Our silly run is fast approaching too and with birthday week in our house I've gone for the option of resting.  Thats not true - I haven't had time to run or the inclination to do so.  Swimming was nice image

The local half marathon I was talking about is being run this morning.  It is utterly torrential rain here.  Wonder how that'll affect the number of participants? 

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

1:59:59. Hmmmmmmm. I might be tempted to do just that.

I'm going to try and start running again next week. I decided to wait until my hamstring felt 100% and then wait a few days longer. So I'm going to try a gentle 2 miles on Tuesday.

On a brighter note. My cheques been cashed. I'm in. imageimageimage

• FF sorry to hear of your injury not getting better, that must be so fustrating.

Following the tropical weather at Edinburgh I did the Seabank marathon last weekend.  It was rain, hail, headwind all the way (a linear course), thunder and lightening.  Would have much prefered that at Ed and the hot weather last weekend because last weekend was a run to enjoy event.  It has more walkers than runners.  They actually called the race off early due to the weather.  Anyway, quite enjoyed it, took it steady, my legs started to feel tierd from about 20 miles.  And, rather remarkably I was second lady.  That was only because there wernt that many ladies running it!!!! I did 4.36 for 25 miles (not a proper marathon ) of off road so pleased with that.

Today I got a 5 mile PB which totally surprised me.  I knew that given the right day I could PB but my legs have been tierd this week, they were like lead yesterday. So that combined with the heat I thought I had no chance.  decided to gice it a go though and was glad I did .  Finished in 38.36 so very pleased with that!

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Nice one Hellen. You are indeed a nutter and a 5 mile PB to boot.

Good news from me. I actually ran today with no problems whatsoever. I did a huge 2.4 miles in 19:57 which was far too quick but there was another runner in front of me so what do you expect.

TBH, the Nottingham Mara isn't really looking all that likely now, but I'll deffo be there. I'm probably going to train for the half as Sezz is doing it. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks. However, if not Nottingham then maybe Luton on 6/12/2009.

• Whoop whoop for running with no pain.  I wish I could.  Stupid foot.

So, the 2 hr HM pace maker job is still open... image

• FF - Are you doing Dysart again on the weekend ?
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭

No Dysart for me this year, I'm doing the Trent Park Triffic Trail on Sunday instead. It'll take me all of 10 minutes to get there.

• Oh well , have fun. Catch you at Robin Hood image
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Realistically, the Nottingham Marathon isn't going to happen for me, but the Half probably will though. My hamstring is still bothering me, it is getting better but I'm not able to train as much as I want to.

The Trent Park Triffic Trail race was hard work this morning. Only 5 minutes slower than my 10K pb of a month ago!!! Matt the Lucozade man was in attendance with his Lucozade van so I got some goodies.

Cheers Matt.

• Anyone do notts half or full.

I did the full, it was not my target marathon (abingdon is my target) so I didnt taper, well, I just took it easy for 3 days beforehand! I did a 33 mile race 2 weeks before so wasnt expecting much but decided to have a go and give it my best shot.  Was very happy to finally get my sub 4 - did 3.58 which is an 11 min PB!! image

• Well done on the sub 4 Hellen. Great running image especially with no taper and it not even being your marathon. You must have tremendous powers of recovery.

I didn't do either the half or the full at Nottingham. I've been a bit injury hit of late being dogged by back, hamstring and hip problems for a lot of the summer but hopefully I'll be starting back within the next couple of weeks.

My target for the year was 5K, 5M, 10K, 10M, half and marathon pb's. I managed 5M, 10K and half so I'll have a go at the rest next year (and hopefully re-do the others along the way).

Oh and at least I know for certain that I've got a place in VLM2010 and I'll get twice the fun as I get to train for it twice image

• Sorry to hear about the injury FF, hope you get back to where you were soon.

I have now done 12 marathons/mini ultras this year so think my recovery is getting better.  Have just done 27.5 at the Ponton Plod which was off road with cakes.  Pleased I got round ok just a week after my PB. 

• OMG hellen you are still as crazy as ever!  Congratulations on all your races and your marathon PB.

I've fallen away from these forums for a while, haven't been running much, had a dodgy knee injury which gets better when I rest and flares up again when I try and run.  But I received my acceptance for London next year - can't believe it!  That's 2 years in a row through the ballot, although I have had many rejections in the past!  So I am determined to get fit for April.  6 months and counting!

Fatface - hope you are getting on okay and all geared up for next April.  What about everyone else?  Dee are you still out there?!

Are we going to resurrect this thread for 2010 then?  I think we are ready to move it up to a sub 3 hrs 45 thread.  image

• Lou, yes still as mad as ever, infact after RH I did ponton plod (27.5) then JW (30).  Thats the first time I have done 3 on the trot.  It has caught up with me now though as I am quite tired.  No races this week or next then Abingdon where I will properly taper and try to knock a bit of time off the RH time!

3.45 feels a long way off yet!! When I got my sub 4 OH said GFA next?!!! A few others have said that as well.  The way I see it though, is that there are a couple of interim targets - 3.55 and 3.50.  I still havnt lost the stone I want to loose so I guess with a stone less lard to carry around and a bit more training and nice weather it might be doable!!

Lou, sorry about your knee, I have been there too.  Have you seen a physio about it? You need to fine out what is causing it.  If you rest then it will get better but like any injury, unless you treat the route cause then it will keep coming back.  Mine was due to weak glutes.

• Forgot to say,  I got my rejection mag.  I dont think I will enter the club ballot as I have found a nice little 40 miler the week before VLM which is local so I would quite like to do that!! My long term goal for next year is the Swiss Alpine 78km (49miles).  This year I did the 42km and loved it.  The 78km is very tough though as not only is there a lot of distance there is a lot of climbling and a 12 hour cutoff! So lots of hill training for me!
  • Very little running and just more injuries for me I'm afraid. Add left achilles to the list above.

I had an MRI scan on my back a few weeks ago which shows plenty of disc bulges, degeneration and arthritis.

Wisdom tooth extraction coming up on Wednesday.

• Sorry to hear that fatface.  image

Hellen - you are mental!  I can't imagine running a single step further than the marathon distance!

I might go and get my knee looked at again as you are totally right, it clears up when I rest and just comes back so there is something underlying there.  I want to be fit for London.

• 5 weeksand 2 marathons/ultras after my first sub 4 at RH (3.58) I have just done 3.52 at Abingdon, am very happy with that.  It only started to hurt during the last 2 miles.  NO more racing marathons until the spring. Not in london but will do another one, may even go for GFA then but will see how things go!

Hows the knee Lou? and the back FF?

• Only just spotted this.

Wow. Another PB, excellent running Hellen. You are crazy.

I've been too busy to run recently coz we've just moved house and we are off on holiday in the morning. This will have given my injuries another month to clear up and then training will resume when I get back. I'll be doing very easy running until the New Year and then following the same training schedule for London as I did this year. It worked very well until my back scuppered my plans.

I read on another thread that the Super Six isn't happening next year. It's a shame that. It seems that the boys must have buggered it up for them image

• Great work hellen - there's no stopping you!

My knee is better but I now have a really heavy cold or similar, I feel like I've had all of my energy zapped right out of me hence me in on a Saturday night on the forum!  I  hope to get back in training soon - I'm going to use the same 3 day a week schedule I used last year as it seemed to do the trick but I need to do some pre-training first!

That's a shame they aren't doing the Super Six next year, I'm sure it's nothing to do with the boys!  Anyway can get injured etc, and you were all very well looked after.  I got alot from it too as it really helped me to share my training, thoughts, ups and downs along the way with other people aiming for a similar time etc.  These forums helped keep me sane when all my non running friends clearly thought I was mad!

Enjoy your holiday fat face - roll on  London 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!