Lucozade Sport Super Six: fat face (sub-4:00)

Comments

• fat face - I got bitten by a dog about 18 months ago and ended up down the hospital getting a tetanus.
  •  Fortunately, the skin wasn't broken and I'm wondering whether it was claws rather than the little bastard's teeth.
  • Mine had teeth marks and was bleeding at the time. I should have rang the police and reported the bl**dy  woman.
  • A hole in your tights?  You could darn that easy, I'm sure image

I think you were rather restrained, given the circumstances.  As someone who has a small child with a (selective at times) fear of dogs, I don't give them an inch.

Come on then - how far?

• Distance and pace please image
  • Hi fat face

u are flying mate perharps u can give me some tips when i see u next

happy running

• I want to get down to 11 stone - charitably I've lost down to 11 11 from 12 5 and I think 11 stone is do-able. I'm guessing if I get to 11 stone I'll look skinny again.image

• Yes, you will look skinny. And fast !!!!!! Eats plenty of pies please JB.

So that's the first week of the schedule done. I've run to work 3 times, done one lunchtime run and only one run has impinged on home life, which was my long run.
    Week 2 has quite a big percentage increase in mileage and the introduction of some faster sessions. Due to other commitments I shall have to do a bit of schedule re-jigging ie I don't want to do my long run next weekend the morning after a 40th birthday party!!

• It's a rest day today as far as running goes today. So just the 10 hours on me feet then.

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    fat face wrote (see)
    ..and only one run has impinged on home life, which was my long run.

So are you saying it was a such a shame that you couldn't help me paint and gloss the whole of the spare room? image

• There's not enough room in there for 2 people to paint now is there.
  • Morning FF

Looks like the training is all going to plan then !!!!!!

I did 14 miles yesterday so on track for doing Kingston with you but I'm having trouble with one of my calves again - soleus tight so I've got my turbo trainer out and I'm doing a bit of mind numbing training on that - I'm off to the gym later before work to try and strengthen some of leg muscles - perk of work using a David Lloyd gym image

Are you going to Mark's 40th then ??  If so will see you on Saturday and I will be running on the Sunday morning as well image

• well done on the first week. Sorry had a few connection problems yesterday.

Dogs and missed opportunity in painting opportunities aside, things have gone well.

Yes the training gets harder and week one was seemingly just a warm up for the real thing.

• Evening GE. Who's Mark? Don't think I know a Mark.

Hi Steve. I found the first week very very simple and straightforward, but yes week 2 will be much harder with the introduction of some faster bits and quite an increase in mileage. I've more or less planned my running week to allow for maximum recovery between runs:-

Monday - rest
    Tuesday am - run
    Wednesday lunch - run
    Thursday eve - run
    Friday - rest
    Sat am - run
    Sunday am - run

This week, due to working hours I could really do with re-jigging my runs. How does this look:-

Tues am - 5 slow
    Wed lunch - 1 jog, 2 brisk, 1 jog
    Thur pm - 1 jog, 2 x 1.5, 1 jog
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 8 slow
    Sun - 4 easy

I was quite tired today and was glad it was a rest day. I've had some nutritional analysis back from Wendy, basically saying I need to eat MORE, preferably carbs. So I had a pints worth on the way back from Sainsburys.

Anyway, totally off topic. Has anyone ever noticed on University Challenge, when someone answers a starter for 10 correctly, they nearly always have a swig of water?

• Another rest day already , this marathon training is easy image

FF - Are you down for doing Watford still ?

• Yes, deffo.   But Sezz isn't doing it now
  • Well she's still got the spare room to paint image

I think with a months good consistent training your PB could well be in danger. 

• Oh, might see you at watford then
  • Oh no I won't, because it's full and I forgot to enter. Doh.
  • Hopefully a few pints of Lucozade will give you your energy back - think they need some beer flavour though.

re your training, It should be ok - my only reservation is the two faster runs come Wednesday and Thursday and you might be better doing the faster runs Tuesday and Thursday as per the schedule though I guess you don't want to do your fast run early in the morning.

As it is relatively gentle (still), it should be ok, but later in the schedule, it would be too much and too much of an injury risk and affect the quality of the session.

• I really struggle to do fast runs first thing in the morning, but doing the 2 harder sessions on consecutive days whilst the schedule was lighter seems plausible. Even as far as racing goes, all my short race (5K, 5M, 10K) PB's are done in evening races.

I shall make sure that I stick rigidly to the pace though.

Froggie - do you know if the Watford organisers allow number transfers?

• i'm the same with morning runs and doing speedwork in the morning could also be an injury risk.

However, the problem is all the longer road races are in the morning so you have to adapt the body to a certain extent to run hard.

• Mark is M1 off the forum - at present called marcusuno - it's the forum event of the centuryimage

You're obviously not in the "gang" hehehehehehe

Didn't do the gym yesterday - wasn't feeling 100% and then I had to go to work which made me feel even worse image

Having slight soleus problems so I'm going to turbo tonight instead of training as it doesn't seem to affect it at all and will run again on Thursday

Happy training

• Beer flavour Lucozade?  Will you be discussing that with the Lucozade people next week FatFace?  Top idea, I think.  Steal it before Steve patents it.

Seems I am going to the forum event of the century.  Now I really better had look glam!

I have no idea how *anyone* does fast runs first thing in the morning.  I feel like I'm doing well if I don't fall asleep and into the road, while I'm running.  Not my best time of day for athleticism.

• Agree early morning's best for running bath's rather than running fast.

May experiment later with bottle of speckled hen and three heaped tablespoons of Lucozade powder for post track session recovery.

• image Rather you than me, Steve! 
  • Yet another forum clique is it GE?

Well, I set off to do my 5 miles slow instead of the harder session and got to the end of the road and thought "F&*% it. Don't be a tart, do the scheduled sess". So I did, complete was rucksack on my back. I quickly reset the Garmin, tapped the bezel and was straight into the workout. It went something like:-

1M jog (10:22 to 10:42 min mile)
    1.5M fast (8:15 to 8:35) 
    800m jog recovery (5 min)
    1.5M fast
    800m jog recovery
    1M jog

I managed to stick much closer to the timings for the fast bits but was too quick on the slower bits, in particular the jog bits.

1M jog - 9:35
    1.5M fast - 12:11
    800m jog recovery - 4:29
    1.5M - 12:38
    800m jog recovery - 4:46
    1M jog - done at 9:35 pace but cut short coz I was in danger of being late for work. Unfortunately, I'm anal (bordering on OCD) about lateness.

The second 1.5 mile and recovery were done on an undulating course around a park but in terms of effort both the first and second sections were about the same. If I'd worn the HR strap than I guess we'd have know for sure.

So, good sess. I enjoyed it and completed it pretty comfortably.

• well done on the session. The fast bits were perfect and while it was slightly quicker on the slow bits, not enough to damage. But yes, worth wearing the HRM.
  • Hi Steve.

I did my 5 mile slow run this morning. I ran far too quickly of course and my mile splits are:-

Mile 1 - 9:02
    Mile 2 - 9:01
    Mile 3 - 9:38
    Mile 4 - 9:18
    Mile 5 - 9:56

Guess which were the uphill miles!!!

It's a pity that hardly any of the Lucozade Super Six competitions entrants who (only a few weeks ago)were so keen to know whether they had been lucky aren't joining in. Shame really, coz I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time.

• I didn't enter the competition but I've been lurking on this thread to get tips on how to get a sub-4 later in the year - so keep posting, some of us are listening even if we can't think of anything interesting to post in return! image