Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options
    Bah, can't do angry faces on my I-pad!!! Unbelievable. Definitely vent on here and definitely need a p**s up!!!

Good to be speedy though. I run well when angry!!

Abs - noooooo!!! Poor you and poor J. Not good. Maybe it might settle in a day or two?

I am parkrunning again on Sat image might try a bit harder. I do wonder sometimes how I might do if I could really rack up the training. I usually get to about 30 mpw and then hold it for about 3 weeks and then get ill. Not usually injured, but lurged up! My immune system must be carp. In 2009 when I set PBs at all distances, I only averaged 25 mpw for about 6 weeks. There is surely an atherlete in there image I am building up really slowly ATM, following the 10% rule very strictly. Let's see!
  • Options

how is everyone? in one piece? been a hectic time on here.....

Thought life ws returning to normality here and then back to turmoil - Mr G very unhappy at work and now been signed off with stress. Gah. Cannot go down this route - am thinking we really need to overhaul the whole thing and move to a less stressy job with a less stressy mortgage......

meanwhile, Mum's treatment has finished! She looks fab and is even talking about playing golf again! and my running seems to be ok.....

was that everyone in on the p*** up idea? some time early 2012?

• Options

Hello all image

Gosh - we've all been very busy, I guess?  How did 3 weeks go past?

Gladrags - fab news about your Mum image   Am totally thrilled for you.

Hope everyone's running is going well?  Tatty and Abs, I've been stalking you on facebook, and your looks like it is going swimmingly?  Mine was going pretty well... until this week when I've been struck down with a mega-lurgy which, 3 days in, is still all raging temperatures and shivvery feebleness.  My self-esteem is trashed anyway, so you can only imagine how glorious I feel, all filled up with snot.

• Options

Oh - I've returned from the single parenting thing, thankfully.  Baby steps here but appreciating being friends at the very least.  I was doing much better with being strong before I got ill, as now I just want to weep a bit, but that, like so many other things, will pass.

He started a new job today, so I'm hoping that now we've finally hit that particular milestone and source of stress that we might be able to move forward.  Have to admit, my expectation of anything is pretty low and I'm bumbling through with my fingers crossed, being enormously thankful that I have my friends and family around to rely on.  Work is much easier though - all these things in perspective?

How goes Mr G, Gladrags?

• Options

Hoorah - have been checking on this forum for ages and no news! do hope it keeps going - great for motivation when training gets tough! (as well as being generally nice coffee morning type place)

delighted to hear about baby steps in the right direction. hope the new job works out - think if that's right for a bloke, things are easier?

so yes, Mr G still off work. has officially lodged a grievance about his boss. Am trying not to think about it all too much as then I get a bit stressed and we're in a holy mess!!!

Training is going well - have done a few 9 milers quite happily which I think is fine for November. Might try and do 12 before Xmas and then am well placed to start a plan in Jan. Everone else's training seems to be on fire! what races are you all doing?

• Options

sorry, forgot my big news......

have lost a stone and am now the same weight as when we got married! Hoorah! (just in time to put it all back on over Xmas!)

• Options

Wowee!  That is cracking stuff, well done image

Have to admit, weight loss has been the only upside of the recent ongoings here - and my new current joy, the flu.  I'm around the same weight I was when I got married too, though completely differently distributed.  At the moment, I'm so nauseous from all the flu drugs plus the gunk I'm sniffing/coughing (I am delicious, yes) that I'm not really eating and this morning the Wockette pointed out, quite sadly, bless her, that my juicy tummy had disappeared and I'd gone all thin around the middle.  Bizarre.  

Training sounds good - I was up to 8 quite happily before the lurgy hit.  I've got my training partner back on a Friday too, which is fab image

I'm hoping the job makes a difference, yes.  I think work weighs heavily for blokes - he's trying to work to compartmentalise it all.  Must be odd having MrG at home all the time?  You've gone from both of you working lots, to neither of you - are you managing to spend some quality time together while the kids are at school?  Or are you setting him to work on all the house DIY jobs? image

• Options
    Glad things are moving in the right direction Wotsit, not so great about your lurgy - looks like you are having an awful time of it.

Great news on the weight loss girls, I am not where i want to be but definitely getting there. Back in the 10's so i am happier with that. Am going to try and maintain a bit of control over xmas - usually it goes to pot for 2 weeks, am aiming for 2 days.

Have been off work for the last week, had a scare last week and was taken into hospital - collapsed in a car park. Have been very stressed out at work and had what i thought was a panic attack. Got to go back to docs on Wed as blood sugar abnormal too. This has meant an enforced rest from running - my foot was playing up anyway. I think it is a strain at the side but rest does not seem to sort it. I had it when training for Brighton and it is still in the background, it went and has come back.

On a plus, hubby has a new job. He will be teaching at the college in the catering department, starts on 3rd Jan. This is a huge change for us - I have never had him at home in the evenings in the 17 years we have been together - will be very strange.

Hope all works out well for Mr G. He is not tempted to take up running with you?
  • Options

Abs - you ok? collapsing sounds bad? abnormal blood sugar resolved now? great news that you'll have him at home in the evenings?

Mr G has taken up cycling -currently doing 40+ miles 2-3 times a week! Group of dads doing it - think it's a mass mid life crisis! He is the lightest I have ever known him..... good stress reliever. hoping that the work situation will resolve soon.

having him at home is.... odd! i had just got a nice little routine and now he's here! we're getting there - both doing our own stuff but also managing some nice couply time for first time in ages....

glad things looking up w. hope lurgy are over soon and then life will resume some shape?

managed an unhappy 11 miler this morning. clothing was all wrong (cold all the way round), fuelling was wrong (one slice toast just not enough) - everything was wrong. bleurgh. by my theory of running, the next run should be great!

• Options

Happy next run Gladrags!

Abs - blimey - that sounds scary.  Any news on the blood sugar?  Hope you're feeling better now.  Look after yourself.

Yes, been very under the weather.  Flu turned into pneumonia, so thats me out of running for a bit!  Struggling with getting out of breath just climbing the stairs or trying to walk round the house and sing at the same time.  The latter is a festive nightmare!  I'm hoping that I'll get the all clear as far as the fluid on my lungs goes tomorrow so I can actually leave the house again (been on house arrest for nearly 2 weeks) and get the last of the christmas shopping finished.

How is everyone else's christmas prep going?

• Options
    All clear on the lungs - hoorah!  But still have to take it easy and not go back to work just yet.  I've had a brief trip out, as am allowed to move from one warm place to another now, but the walk to and from the car did make me cough a lot.  Onwards and upwards!
  • Options

ahem - am trying to revive this thread! nearly at our 4 year anniversary - can't stop now??

i see from facebook that abs is training like a demon (and should really be joining me in London!) - and that Wotsit is ticking over nicely - but no new from tatty?

i am marking off the marathon training quite nicely - ran 13.5 on friday in damp, cold conditions.... and more importantly, i have finally invested in a garmin! i need you all to come back so i can ask some really dumb questions......

(v belated happy new year!)

• Options
    <bounces back in> freaky as i did check for postings earlier today.

I will be cheering you on in London - am running Brighton marathon again the week before. Looks like you are doing some fab training and getting the miles in. Did a 15mile run yesterday but as usual ran it too fast and felt shattered. It is the coffee i had beforehand!! Am hoping to run a 10mile race on Sunday - would like to do about 90mins if possible.

Yay for investing in a Garmin - think mine is gonna give up the ghost soon, hope to get another year out of it if possible as they aint cheap.
  • Options

Ask away with Garmin questions.  We've got 3, so I'm quite good with them now image

• Options

wow Abs - if the weather is right you must be hoping to smash your pb??

Am not sure what to aim for. Main aim is to raise the money for the charity, but I really would be thrilled to get close to (under?) 4h30.... guess it's all pretty weather and crowd dependent though...

right. garmin questions!

• i can strip out the time i've been standing still, but is there any way to strip out vvv slow bits? crossing the road/ going into shops to get drinks etc are all skewing my times at the mo.
    • do yours give you strange elevation readings? mine implies that i have huge brief peaks every so often (and am talking 100ft or so) - anything I can do to remove this?
    • have you programmed yours with planned runs - easy to do? worthwhile?

that's it for now - am basically stll a starstruck newbie about it all -finding all the info a great distraction while I run!

• Options

having bad time. family tragedy (not my Mum/dad/sis) - in desperately sad circumstances. i keep writing a more detailed post and thn deleting it - i can't post yet as am not sure who knows what and don't want any leaks into real life.

2012 not looking like it will be brighter than 2011 after all.

• Options
    Gladrags - oh no, you and the family have been through so much already. You know you can DM any of us if u need to chat, vent etc. Sending huge hugs xxx
  • Options

Sorry about the cryptic message the other day - the news really floored me last week. I have spent the weekend with my family and we have talked the whole thing through, so we are all ready to face the world this week.

My 36 year old cousin committed suicide last week. He had been mentally ill for some time but we thought he had it under control. From our perspective he wa happily married with 2 young children, so it caught us all off balance.

Such a tricky thing. The stigma of mental illness is already meaning that not all of the family are being told the whole truth.

The funeral is next week - my main aim is not to be a gibbering wreck as that won't help anyone (not even me).

Running very handy at times like these - long run on Friday helped me sort through a lot of stuff.

• Options

Blimey Gladrags - how horrible for you all.  Mental illness is sadly one of those things that it is very easy to hide from a lot of people of very easy to go down hill very fast.  I deal with a lot of students in precarious positions and the rate of change floors me.  Glad the running is helping, but don't forget that you are allowed to gibber somewhat at a funeral.  The opportunity for an outpouring of grief is very cathartic.

Will be back for garmin questions, just got to pick up the wockette from brownies...

• Options

the rate of change. oh yes. caught everyone out - even the medical professionals who saw him a few days earlier......

am swinging wildly between loving and hating the garmin. i did some good intervals and likes it telling me how fast i went, but on long runs the speed seems horrifically slow.

must go - small children demanding attention.

• Options

So, kids in bed, now to answer the questions.

1) No, you can't take out slow bits.  Thats cheating.   Though if I was going to get a drink, I think I'd stop it altogether.

2) Yes, often very strange readings.  I stopped looking at the elevation after one run where I thought I'd done a huge amount of climbing and someone else I was with had less than half that number.  If you download it to the garmin software or to garmin online it does sometimes even it out?

3) Yes.  Especially the interval sets.  I had a programme that beeps every 5 mins, so I can do 5 slow, 5 med, 5 fast and repeat.  I use that a lot.  And a beep @ 15mins one too, useful for progression runs.  They're pretty simple to create.  Just make sure you don't put 'and end' at the end of the run if you aren't utterlyu sure you'll have made it home by then as there is nothing quite as irritating as having to restart the damn thing when its decided that you should be having a cup of tea, so has stopped.

I think both you and Abs are going to have fabulous years of racing!  And as for Tatty and her ultra, well, I am very impressed.

As for me, I've picked up another bug, so am taking it easy and Wickett is away with work this week, so I have little choice.  But we're all off to centre parcs on Friday, for some much needed family fun time.  Think of us as we whoooooosh down those water slides!

• Options

thank you so much.... will def try and create some interval programmes - have never really done any before but it turns out to be quite good fun which is great news from the motivational point of  view...

finished the january bootcamp today - in subzero conditions on a very windy Blackheath - first time I have ever worn hat and gloves for training. once we got going it was actually fine and (big drunmroll) - I beat my time trial record with 1m42 for the lap. Apparently the fastest women's time is 1m39 so reckon I'll have a crack at that in the summer!

Center Parcs sounds good - my kids are always on about going - family relaxation sounds like v good idea - hope you all have fun (and that your bug clears up soon)

long run tomorrow - am thinking of running to dartford and getting the train back.......

• Options

just surfacing here - full morning of sledging meant we have all had a v lazy afternoon watching movies...all good.

great run on friday - skipped the dartford run in favour of driving out into kent and running round a reservoir. v beautiful and bang on 13 miles - perfect! am contemplating running the same route in the other direction this week....

• Options

Fabulous running!  What a good idea - I think its so easy to get jaded with the same old routes. 

What is happening work wise with with you and Mr G now?

Def recommend center parcs.  Kids had a blast - as did we.  We tend not to do too much of the extras you pay for, so the price of the accomodation is pretty much all you cover.  I think we spent £100 extra, on dinner out, bowling, ice skating and sandwiches today.  Otherwise we brought and cooked stuff and swam, cycled, played in the many parks and collapsed!  Even more to do in the warmer months, where you don't have snow and freezing fog to contend with.  And I ran and felt good.  And am going to have to ramp up over the next  7 weeks, given that I have to do 2 x 10k laps at the Lightening Run at least.  If not 3.  Hey ho!

• Options

the Lightening Run??

mr g oes tchnically have a job but hasn't worked for over 3 months now. The children are the only ones with proper schedules in this house - a fact that they are becoming aware of and whinging about... hopefully d's job will be sorted one way or another soon as v difficult to plan stuff in this limbo state. i have been applying but no joy yet.

so cold down here - i managed to squeeze 12 miles in on Sat afternoon - I was aiming for 14, but hadn't planned on the temperature dropping so much further as the sun went down, and headed back.

we're skiing next week - looking forward to that - hopefully that will be the change of scene that i need to remotivate me...

• Options

Mmm... the Lightening Run is a 12hr race, run in laps of 10k.  I'm doing it in a team of 5 girls, Wickett is doing it on his own.  Frankly I'm considering lurking around a corner and tripping him up around the 11 hour mark, given the current state of play here. 

My running is on the up this week - got in 18m over 4 runs.  Onwards and upwards next week, I hope.  Normally its harder to run when the kids are on holiday, but going away has helped.  I need to be up to 10m before the race, which is looking much more likely now.  My hip is aching though... suspect being in strange beds hasn't helped!

Gosh - job thing must be very stressful in itself?

• Options

scarface here!

honestly - I was just getting back into the whole skiing lark again and enjoying a really nice morning with mr g, when some lunatic wiped me out. he then skied off while some other kindly french people stopped and patched me up.

face feels far worse than it looks - I guess that's better than the other way around! Stitches come out on Wed so will wait until then to run. training plan has me down for a 9 miler and then 15 on friday - sems rather ott?

sounds like everyone is running great guns at the moment? lightening run sounds like good fun wotsit? great idea to do it in a relay - you can laugh at those doing it solo when they start to flag??

• Options
    Oh and I really will be laughing too! And enjoying overtaking people up the hills!

Poor you! There are some serious tossers about. How lovely to run off after he's injured you.

I'm just typing from the salon, having my hair done in preparation for my weekend away in London with Wickett. We've even agreed to leave the running kit at home in favour of spending Sunday morning having a lovely lie in with the papers followed by a cooked breakfast.

Running is going well, hampered a bit by a touch of insomnia this week and a trapped nerve in my toes. Did 7m comfortably on Sunday so am building up to be comfortable at about 10m before the race. Just need to stay healthy...

Heal fast gladrags.
  • Options
    Hope you are feeling better Gladrags - that is disgusting behaviour - to injury someone and just walk away - agree with Wotsit, tossers!! Hope you have got back into your running ok. These marathons are coming round too quick this year aren't they? Only 6 weeks today until Brighton. I have Cambridge half next Sunday. I think i have sub 2 in me, whether it happens on the day is another matter.

Weight loss has definitely gone in the right direction - lost a stone this year and over 2% BF. Am at my lightest since the first year of high school so very very happy. Think that has helped my running.

How was the London weekend Wotsit?, hope it did you both the world of good? Hard to find that quality time sometimes isn't it. We did the London thing a couple of weeks ago. Brian's late xmas pressie was a meal at Joel Robouchon - it was amazing, a world away from the normality of Pizza Express.

Went to the TCR show yesterday, was great to hear Chrissie Wellington speak and I met Helen Jenkins - how tiny do these women look in real life though!

Where is Tatty?

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

tossers indeed! cheek now looks fine (which is good) but feels very lumpy and my teeth are still numb (which is not)..... running is actually fine - great news.

cannot believe how quickly the races are coming round..... i have entered a 15 miler at the end of March - just aiming to run a steady pace and get used to running with other people again. sub 2 sounds great Abs - smash it! lighter than 1st year High School???? I'd need to lose another 2 stone for that!!!!!

plans this week? my LSR will be 18 miles.

and i will be starting my new job on wed - mixed emotions..... going to  buy self some new clothes tomorrow so feel sharper!