Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Fatface.  I am shocked.  You just cannot lie on your food diary.  Merely be inventive.  So it might read:

• Quality Streets - 1/2

Gloss over exactly what it is half of.  Genius.

We've had curry for dinner tonight, Wickett made onion bhajis.  I am deeply deeply relieved that I did my food diary before Christmas.  Being a girly swot, I did consider keeping it right over the festive period but then decided it was not good for my mental state.  Or that of the nutritionist.

Mind, Quality Streets are the healthy choice, coming in at 39 calories per 100g less than Roses.  Thats an extra chocolate!

• I think they will be truly truly stunned when they see mine. It's shocking.

• If it was too good, they'd have nowhere to go.  Its kind of you to give them lots of material to work on.  Altruistic, some might say.
  • Christmas pud

Chocs

Dundee cake

Cheese and biscuits

That was lunch....

• Wickett and I went for a freezing cold run this morning.  Intended to go out for 9m ish but after 5 I felt shattered.  Took a little while to clock that a) we had been running those 5m at between 9 and 9.3mi and b) that I've done quite a lot more miles than normal this week.  So we came home at 7m.  Thats 24m this week image  and tired leggies. 

For the next few days I shall be taking it rather easier (and eating mostly vegetable soups and celery sticks) to be supremely perky and ready for Monday's run with the Black Pear Joggers (howzat for a plug? image)

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Wotsit, I'm very impressed with your running and you haven't even started the schedule yet!   Sub 4:30 is going to be no problem.

I'm hoping to get some inspiration from your thread as mine left the building after this year's FLM.

• Thank you Sezz image  Its the fear of making an ar$e of myself thats driving me on!  Actually, I'm less worried about doing a 4.30 M than a sub 2HM or a sub 53 10K, which sounds utterly bonkers.  I'm rather a one speed wonder.

Tonight I shall be toasting the New Year in with a glass of bubbly, then beginning the Great Countdown.  Oooh, the excitement of 2009! image

• Coach Nick has sent through my training programme for the next couple of weeks and now its suddenly all very real indeed.  He's set me up with a 3 runs a week programme which sneakily seems to start on Sunday (though thats a rest day- my favourite type of training image). 

So, here's this week's plan:

Week 1

Sun  - Rest

Mon – Group run as normal. 30 mins but try to do 10 very easy, 10 steady and last 10 at 3-4 word answer pace (threshold/controlled discomfort). I call this a 10/10/10 run.

Tues – Rest

Wed – Pilates as normal

Thurs – Group run or alone. 40 mins with block of 5 very easy/5 threshold (controlled discomfort) x 4 built in.

Fri – Rest

Sat – 90 mins ( if required, walk for 1-2 mins every 15 mins). Keep the pace relaxed and conversational at all times.

It almost looks like it might be a 'normal' running week, the same days just with infinitely more purpose.  Gosh, I better get myself a new spreadsheet to record it all... image

• good luck wotsit - and well done on your run on NYE. 

• wotsit - that doesn't sound too bad for week one.

• I'm hoping he's not lulling me into a false sense of security image

I've just downloaded all the Christmas runs into motionbased and am now feeling *very* pleased with myself.  Especially with the NYE run (thanks Pud)  which looks rather sparkly.  It has lied about my forest run though.  I'll ignore that...

• Wotsit - I am alright up to 12 miles, then I get scared. I am slow so 20 miles takes me all day.
  • Nice schedule Wotsit.  Agree about the with purpose bit. I'm just trying to change my running from chaotic to planned

What I want to know is what you do when life gets in the way of good intentions. Previously I'd run anyway and push as hard but repeated injuries suggest that hasn't been such a great plan...

Today I planned a 5 mile run but I have been up all night with small who is fairly poorly. Throughout the night my throat started hurting and I decided to cut it to a 3 mile run. I was fitting it into a busy day and the slot for running was then taken up with taking small to GP and then chemist for medicine.

Rest of morning has now been cancelled whilst I look after small... so I could get babysitter and run.... but I'm exhausted and throat is sore so I'm going to sit on the sofa with her. At least I'm off work - next week I'd be juggling work, sick kids and running ..... which is why my running is often chaotic  

I know you juggle the same at times, so will be interested to know if I should run today or  how many times you can break a schedule ?

• i'm with you on that one tracey.  i have a group of people from the running club who have all volunteered to run my long runs with me, but thay are all heaps faster and i'm concerned they will get bored!!  thiink i may arrange a sort of "relay" run for them alongside me so they don't have to do the whole distance at my snaily pace !
  • pig - take care of yourself.  there are so many nasty bugs around.  i had a sore throat for a couple of weeks before christmas and now it's developed into a horrible cold and i've not run for 2 weeks.  TP begins on monday and i'm still coughing badlyimage
  • Thanks pud.   Mr P and middle pig have all had horrid colds over Christmas and I've been amazed to not get it. Hopefully this is just tiredness. I shall be fed up if I'm not able to run for a week - I have a lot of food to work off
  • Wotsit - like the schedule - you should be able to manage that no problem (although if I were you I'd also be wondering about what's round the corner). Have fun image

Pig - I think combining life and training is the most difficult thing for a lot of us. image
  • Very true HL

I think you have to just accept it tbh. Running is not my priority in life fortunately

• Pig - I'm hoping Nick will pop in and give his words of wisdom soon but personally I'd maintain a retreat on the sofa.  However, this might be why my running is often rather inconsistent.  If you're knackered and run down you're never going to have a blinding run anyway - the question is really, is a run going to make you feel better or worse?

My children have promised not to be ill at all between now and the end of April, so I should be fine. image

Tracey & Pud - I wouldn't worry too much about asking other people for help & support with the long runs, you just have to make sure you do it on your terms, not theirs.  I really enjoyed doing a long run with my sister the other day, despite it being slower than my usual pace, because its something different and a challenge in itself to run at a speed other than your usual one.  A mate and I got out of synch with our marathon programme last year and ended up doing 13m together, then I went off and ran another 7 alone.  Doing 7m alone doesn't seem like that big a deal but 20m really was.

I'm supposed to be tidying the house, so you aint seen me, right?

• Wotsit - Have done them before, just don't like them. But I like doing marathons. I have a great photo of coming back soaked through after a 20 mile run. I like the feeling after I have done them.
  • I'm happier doing them than afterwards!  Of the 3 I did last year I only managed to stay upright on reaching home once.  The first one I passed out on the kitchen floor at my mother in law's feet and the second I crawled straight into bed only pausing to remove my shoes. image  I slept on Wickett's side, obviously.

A part of me is quite looking forward to the long runs.  That'll be the bit that remembers last spring through rose tinted glasses.

• Wotsit - I did a 14 mile lsr in the South of France last year. I stop at one of the beach shower and put my head under it.
  • South of France?  I much prefer the exoticism of the wilds of Worcestershire.  Not! image

I suggested to the Lucozade people that it might be a great idea to take us away for some high altitude training, or some warm weather training, just in case its sunny on the 26th April but they haven't got back to me yet.  Most odd.

• Wotsie - It was down the coastal road and it was undulating. I really wanted to do my long run in the forest, very hilly and not much shade but it was closed due to the risk of forest fires. Maybe this year I will get to do my long run in the forest. Good practice for Beachy Head.  I got my RW copy today.
  • Hi wotsit

South of France sounds good 2 me

how s your training going are u ready for monday?

Im looking forward 2 monday, it will be a lot less milage for me

c u soon happy new year 

nigel

• BBB - Brilliant - shall we organise a date to suggest to the Lucozade people? image

I'm resting up ready for Monday actually.  Did lots more miles than normal last week and want to be raring to go!  Have you seen the mag?

• Wotsit - You need to start your training nice and fresh image
  • Good morning!  Its Nick's sneaky Day 1 today, which is a rest day.  This might be less easy than I anticipated, given that having not run for a few days, last night I was bouncing off the walls.  Bother.

In readiness for starting training and going back to work, yesterday I cooked lots of delicious and healthy things.  I made stock so that I can make chicken & vegetable soup today and I might even get round to proper meal planning so that I don't revert to fishfingers in the event of not being able to think of anything to cook.

More importantly, someone from Molly Maids is coming round to give me a quote for house cleaning on Tuesday.  See how dedicated I am to putting in the best effort with my training?  I've even sacrificed cleaning the house to free up more time for it imageimage

• Hey Wotsit - Congratulations on winning!!  Been lurking a bit and looking forward to seeing how your training goes!  I'm a bit the opposite of you at the moment and struggling to find motivation to get out there, so hoping I can catch a bit of your spirit through the internet!!

Hey a cleaner - now that sounds like a fantastic idea!!

• Thanks DG - If you'd like, I can lend you a small boy.  He's motivation enough to get out of the house this week!  This afternoon he's managed to produce his own 'mud' for his diggers to scoop and move on the lounge windowsill image