Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Hi Helen,

Brilliant session completed - well done! Were you on your own, it sounds that way. If so, even better as you had to focus and really remain positive even when tired. Hope those tights behaved and you enjoyed the bath afterwards. Much deserved.

Enjoy the recovery day today. Please have a stretch and make sure the nutrition is good all day. So important to eat normally and get the balance right on rest days.

Keep up the good work, another session in the bank!

Nick

• Options

Yes, Nick.  All alone.  Ali, my partner in crime, is poorly image

I read something about metatarsalgia being related to tight achillies and calves, so I'm right on top of stretching today.  I might even do a little bit of pilates, ahead of tomorrow's class, if I can do so without a small boy jumping on me, mid move.  He likes to help.

• Options

Get him to join in - start the future of running off early I say! Stretch and enjoy the day.

Nick

• Options

.... and bake.  Very important to bake whilst stretching.  Something to do with core strengthening....... I don't know the science, just that you should do it.

I am the Cylon to your Metastar-galactica, or whatever you said.

• Options

Not a chance, mate.  If I bake it, I will eat it.  That is bad.

As befits a rest day, I have made jam.  Damson, with the last of the summer's fruits from my parents' garden.  Now I just have to stop myself eating it all.

I've been to see my local running shop because my shoes have suddenly given me blisters down the inside, side, of the ball of my foot.  They reckon it might be the intervals.  Ha.  Knew it.  They are evil. image 

Nick, we are training up the future of British triathlon, I think.  Just as soon as they learn to cycle without stabilisers...

• Options
    Brilliant session last night Wotsit image
  • Options

Thanks HL image

I've spent the morning teaching my students about healthy & balanced diets and talking about BMI and how it isn't that brilliant an indicator of health, then opened my email to find an itinery for the next Super Six training session.  It contains details of how we're going to get our BMI measured, amongst many other things, and a cold shiver went up my spine.

This week I have, for the first time in a *long* time, dipped into the 'normal' category of BMI, which is fabulous and about which I am utterly delighted.  But, I'm feeling rather like I'm being transported back 10 <cough>  years to school PE days, having to be the slowest racing round a track and then getting weighed. image  While I am really excited about meeting up with everyone again and with getting lots of new advice, I am, quite frankly, bricking it about the track session.

• Options

wotsit am v impressed with the way your training is going so far - you may even inspire me to do the 3 weekly sessions i know i should be doing (have only properly managed 2 for the last 6 months...)

BMI - I've always been "heavy boned" (!) - the nurse even told me on my last visit that I was now outside the normal range - did nt stop me enjoying my mince pies at xmas!

the one thing that helped me focus as april drew near last year was the prospect of unflattering finish photos - how vain is that!!!

• Options

Ah Gladrags, you've given me just the impetus I need... my finish photo last year was absolute pants image

Wotsit, I'm with you on the BMI thing, the solid muscle in my legs is of course the sole explanation of a BMI far too close to 30 for my liking, and has nothing to do with consumption of the children's selection boxes image.  I have no words of wisdom on the track session, other than 'I'm with you on your last comment'.  You won't be alone...

Reading about your intervals the other night inspired me to go out and do something other than plodding pace today ... nowhere near your speed, but I pushed myself a bit and feel miles better for it.  Thanks lovely! 

• Options

eeeek - finish line photos image

wotsit - i am loving reading this thread - well done you xx

• Options

Thank you all image

Actually, I loved my finish line photo last year,  Its was bizarrely, really flattering. 

http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v235/24/118/557021370/n557021370_874585_8245.jpg

Its a pilates night for me tonight - can I motivate some of you to share in my pain tomorrow?

• Options

Great photo Wotsit!  I have never ever looked anything approaching normal in any of my running photos!  More great running, I'm sure you'll be fine at the track session! 

Know what you mean about little triathletes - my 6 year old, when he learnt (finally) to ride without stabilizers last year, every time we went out on a family bike ride, as soon as we got back home demanded we went out and did a run!!!  

• Options

Lovely photo.  Well done with intervals. My HRM instructions said to not use too much gel and recently my (proper) gel has gone a bit thick and solid in the cold and I think has prevented contact until I've warmed up.   I just use a small amount and spread it across the band.

No running here but plenty of stretching since I'm sure my tight calf is causing achilles stiffness and pain

I rode on Tuesday and might turbo tonight. 

• Options

v nice photo! mine was ok-ish in the end but only after i practised taking big strides in last 100m, looking up with arms aloft etc per the RW instructions!!! (the one with me standing still at the end was awful as was completely drenched...)

did some intervals at the gym on monday night and hoping to do 6-7 mile tomorrow morning (both children in nursery for 1st time ever...) - and then a 10k with my sis on Sunday...

what's next for you wotsit?

• Options

Pig - were your ears burning last night? The hamster and I were bemoaning our tight achillies and blaming you for passing them on.   Fortunately there was lots of calf and hamstring type stretching in last night's pilates class, so I'm hoping mine will be a little less tight tonight.

Gladrags - I'm glad you asked!

Tonight's run is:  40 mins with a block of 20 mins @ marathon pace (mp) built in the middle. Using the Garmin to get the pace right and aiming for 4.30 marathon pace - so thats about 10.1 min miles.

I'm presuming the start and end are supposed to be slower than marathon pace?  I'd normally (well, recently) would run 4m at more like 9.30-9.45 min miles, but Ithink this session is about getting a feel for running at smooth marathon pace, rather than about speed.

I wonder if, when I get to the finish line in April, anyone finishing near me would mind moving out of the way, so they don't impeede my photo.  Thats a reasonable ask, right? image

• Options

perfectly reasonable wotsit.  and i will need a hairbrush, some make up and something to tone down my face which will be beetroot-red by then!!

• Options
    Perhaps a support team in front of Buckingham Palace with the appropriate items?
  • Options

Burning ears ?   Excuse me I have only just had problematic achilles so it must have been someone else!  

No running until stretching doesn't cause me pain image

• Options
    You'll love the track session - it was one of the highlights of GNR SuperSix. To hear Liz Yelling calling out "very metronomic" will live with me forever!! I think she said that to everyone though but I don't like to think about that lol !image
  • Options

Metronomic?  Will bear that in mind image  I'm sure I will love the track session (and I'm hoping that being pregnant might have slowed her down, though its not going to help me with everyone else) I just am a worrier and right at the moment, its worrying me.

Pig - we blamed Ant as a second option.  Better?

• Options
    I would be dreading the track session Wotsit.  But I'm trying to be helpful, so ignore that and pretend I said......wow the track session will be really exciting and I bet you'll learn loads image
  • Options
    Yes it's definitely Ant's fault!
  • Options

Oooh, I am gooood! image

Target: 40 mins with a block of 20 mins @ marathon pace (10.18mi) built in the middle.

Result: 40.23 mins @ 10.16mi average pace image

Admittedly, the middle 2 miles were 10.19 then 10.02, but mostly the second one only went a bit wonky because my garmin kept telling me I was running at 11.3mi, so I kept speeding up.

Went out running tonight with K, one of my partners in crime from last year's marathon and had a glorious gossip and catch up on the way.  All in all a lovely run - it even held off raining till I got in the car.

MInd, I am now really aware of where my obliques are, after last night's pilates.  Ouch.

• Options

Well run Wotsit.

Really miffed to be missing next week, let me know how it goes won't you?

• Options

Good luck Wotsit

Have only had a quick look through your thread but will be following it all the way

I too am aiming for sub 4:30 but have hit my first hurdle - the dreaded cold that everyone else has had - thought I had got away with it. Have not run since my 6 miles last Sunday but will try tomorrow as it doesnt appear to have gone to my chest.

Well done on your training so far

• Options

Sue - we will miss you.  Perhaps we should have a cut out of you, so that you'll look like you're there if we have any photos taken?  Or we could put you in the backdrop of the video bits?

Noo Noos - welcome image  I'm hoping that by having picked up the cold just as I was told I'd won the super six comp means that I'll avoid getting one again between now and May.  Wishful thinking?  Go gently if you're not feeling great.  Nick had me just running really easy while I was full of cold so that I didn't drive it down onto my chest.

• Options

Hiya Wotsit.  Just popped in to say hi and well done on the training so far!   Enjoy the track day!!!!

Sprocks  x x x

• Options

Aye up. You're doing awite ain't ya. Running and colds don't mix for me either Wotsit. I ran a half marafun a few years ago with a cold. Within a few days, it was on my chest and I also had an infected wisdom tooth which needed anti-biotics which in turn caused me to have the sh*ts for 6 weeks AND I NEVER BLIMMING LOST A POUND IN WEIGHT.

I think I'll go and have another lucozade chewy bar.

• Options

Evening Sprocket image

Fatface - I'm hoping I haven't peaked too early.  I've had to hide the lucozade chewy bars after the kids found one and pretty much ran around in circles for 2 hours after eating it.  Are you feeling liberated now the food diarizing is over?

• Options
    Oi, don't get blaming me for your injuries. image