Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Mystic (first-time)

Comments

• Options

Hey Meg. How's it going? I ran the Lochaber Marathon with some very interesting taping on my knee. It did the trick though.

I can feel a pizza coming on.

• Options

Hello you - just been looking at your training schedule....getting all over enthusiastic again now that my bl**dy knee seems to be on the mend......No doubt I will get a verbal slap on the wrist for even looking at the sub 4 schedule (Liz....I can feel it coming even from here!) but you have to dream......Just been on the treadmill at the conference centre - so checking my emails before having a shower and off to the course for the day - thinking about it - I may have got my tasks in the wrong order....

How's it going with you? Hope all is well and looking foward to seeing you on 24th. Try and stay off the Lucozade powder....its not good for the old nostrils. x

• Options

Hi Meg,

Glad to see you are getting the training in. We all need to be creative with our training at times and work around little lifestyle obstacles during the week. Running on the treadmill is a nice safe alternative, but just not the same as running out side. To replicate running out side you should put the treadmill on a 2% incline.

Let me know the specifics of how your sessions go, with pace and how you felt, then I can have more of an idea what you are up to!

Keep those eyes off the 4-hour schedule Mrs.! Make that the next goal! One step at a time. Your knee is great, so lets build gradually and keep it that way!

Liz

• Options

You tell her Liz..

Just finish the first marathon, lay down a benchmark, and smash it in the second one.

To be honest though, I reckon am going to be last if current training form continues.

I've used all the lucozade. I'm currently sniffing washing powder. Bold 3 in 1 does it for me.

• Options

I have used all my lucozade too, I shall nudge Nick.

And your form is perfectly fine, I lurked on your thread earlier.

• Options

Yours looks pretty speedy yerself.

I'm getting rather addicted to those chewy bars. Yummmmmmmmmmmmy.

• Options

Hi all

Sorry to interrupt  - just wanted to drop in and remind you that Nick Anderson will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about your marathon training too.

We've opened the debate a little early so post your questions for Nick now so he can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Catherine

• Options

Hey Meggles,

Nearly fell off my seat when I saw your smiling face gazing back at me from Runners World and have now thoroughly enjoyed watching your video diary.  I'm really proud of you - as well as very envious that you're getting mentoring from Liz Yelling!  [Liz - you have a challenge on your hands in holding this ball of energy back.  Patience has never been her middle name!]  You have every reason to have every confidence Meg.  You have always been one of the fittest and sportiest people I know and its thanks to you that I started running 10 years ago when you first took me out on a lap around the River Thames during our lunch break.  Ahhh happy days!  Anyway, I will be following your progress with pride, enthusiasm and for any tips that will help me with the Keswick Half Marathon on 3 May.  Hope to see you next time I'm down in your neck of the woods.

Toin x

• Options

Meg,

Have a great weekend, and enjoy the long run. Keep this at a controlled easy pace and we will start playing around with pace in February and beyond!
    Enjoy the calm before the storm!

Liz x
  • Options
    Hi Meg, Shona here from Lucozade Sport...just checking in - have been reading all the posts regularly its all good stuff. Hope you are ok and having fun! Have a good run this weekend.......I will out on Sunday morning along with hundreds of others; See you on the 24th. Shoimage
  • Options

thanks all - and toin - great piccie!! Was that really 10 years ago......blimey we are getting old aren't we!!!

Can't wait to see you when you are next down Toin. xx
  • Options

so....the end of another week.....how did that happen? It was an interesting week as far as training was concerned for a couple of reasons. i was away on a course from tuesday afternoon until Friday afternoon, hubby left on thursday afternoon and has yet to return from a boys ski-ing weekend, and in the middle of it all - i had some awful news, which meant the end of the week was completely out of whack as was I.....

still babying my knee injury although i think i am nearly there. never in the history of minor knee injuries, has one been so flippin' persistent and dull!! Anyway - despite having to run tuesday and thursdays session on a treadmill at the conference centre ( the only other alternative being to run through unfamiliar country lanes in the pitch black with headtorch - which given my sense of direction, and the sanity of any local wildlife - was probably not an option) - it wasn't too bad. i was meant to run a 3 miler on friday which I have to admit - did not happen. i was at the hospital on thursday night with a very dear friend and her son who is having brin surgery tomorrow, and it was all i could do to get myself through the course on friday - let alone anything else. Saturdays run was great though - knee still feels a bit wobbly for the first 5 mins or so - but did the 7 miles at an average of 6.1 mph....and felt so much better for it.

So - the plan for this week (which has been ok'd by Liz...)

monday - 1 mile jog, followed by 3 1 milers at 9 minute mile pace, with 400 metres recovery between each, followed by another 1 mile jog.
    tuesday - a friends birthday - so have planned a day off - as it is clearly not going to happen between work and going out
    wednesday - 5 miles slow
    thursday - doing the long one - 10 miles steady
    friday - rest
    sat - nothing - (going into london later that day to meet the rest of the 6 for a session - which starts with a training run)
    Sunday - depending on what goes on on sat - 5-6 miles steady.

hope all first timers have had a good week - take care,

meg x
  • Options
    Yikes.  Hope all goes well tomorrow Meg.  Scary stuff.
  • Options

Hey Mystic, take care of yourself. Not an easy time for you at all.

Sue

• Options
    Hi Meg,

Sounds like a tough week. Hope your friend’s son is ok!

At time we all have challenging weeks where we find time to run is eaten up. In these weeks you must be realistic about what you can achieve in your running and when stress levels are high, you are more likely to feel tired in your running and racing. Running can be a great relief from stress, but it is no good if you are getting stressed because you can't run. Make realistic decisions and don't feel guilty for missing the odd run in a tough week.

Meg, you have done really well to balance your commitments with the demands of the week and missing a 3mile run will make no difference to your overall fitness.

Hope this week is a little easier.

Best wishes,

Liz x

• Options

Can't wait to catch up with you on Saturday! I have a nice session planned for you. We are on the track, so you can do some MP (marathon paced) work!

Liz x
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Mystic - have to say I`m liking this thread. This week`s plan looks good.
  • Options

Hi Meg,

Sorry to hear about your friend - I hope her son is ok.  Good on you for going to the hospital with her - you are a great friend.  I hope things have settled down a bit more this week and that you enjoyed the birthday celebration last night.  Its a lovely day up here so if its the same down there you should really enjoy your 5 miler today - although knowing you, you will find it hard to go as slow as you're supposed to!  Take it easy.

Love Toin x

• Options

Hi Meg,

Hope the 10 miles went ok today! How did you feel with the weeks stresses??

Liz x
  • Options
    Hi Meg, How's the week looking? Hope husband has returned from ski trip - mine has just left for one (very envious) - won't be able to layer a girls trip this year but going with the family in a couple of weeks....so am keen to get as much running done before we head off to the land of cheese and fine wine (am trying to be very good - Liz you would be impressed!!) Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday for a catch up - should be a great day. Just done long steady one can't believe we are nearly at the end of January! Anyway, hoping all well. Take care. Shonaimage
  • Options

Hi Meg!

Just a quick note to introduce myself and let you know that I will be on hand to assit you with your nutritional and hydration strategies. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask!

I will also get to meet you and introduce myself face to face on Saturday! In the mean time I hope you have a good run today and enjoy your rest tomorrow!

All the best.

Chris - Lucozade Sport Science Team

• Options
    Hi Meg, just a note to say hello and hope you enjoyed today. Lots to go for and lots of practicing ahead - for me its all about understanding pacing and having different paces......will keep popping onto the thread to see how you are going. Take care and enjoy the week . Shoimage
  • Options
    I thought I just pop onto this thread to express my concern that Mystic is gonna whoop my ass at London. She is one very quick runner. Nice one Meg, you speedy little lady.
  • Options
    Fat aface - you talk nonsense.....I think it is thre result from of your permanent sugar high from all your product intake!! No more Zola Budd moments from you either mate - or there will be trouble!!

just realised from my diary page how i was over training on quite a large scale in decemeber when i wrote it.....have calmed down a bit now....and had a few more light bulb moments. i have realised that, as Martin yelling said yesterday, i have not always run "with intent" in the past....that is going to change. Did 5 miles in 44.47 today which felt good....

training plan (still to b ok'd by liz - but quite similar to the schedule):
    Monday - i mile jog, 4x800m fast reps with 200 m recovery...then 2 mile steady
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - 5-6 miles steady
    thursday - 1 mile slow, 6 mile at race pace, i mile slow
    friday - 6 miles slow......

Bit brief today - will jump on tomorrow or next day to tell some more about the meeting over the weekend....Enjoy the rain,

meg x
  • Options

>>>>>>>No more Zola Budd moments from you either mate - or there will be trouble!!

.........says she who tried to hoof me off the track image

• Options

Hi Meg,

This week do as above, but on the Thursdays 6 miles at race pace session, I would like you to run, 2 miles at steady, 2 miles at Marathon race pace, and 2 miles at threshold, so after you weekend you should now understand these paces!! Have a 1 mile WU and CD.

Then at the weekend have a rest on Saturday and on Sunday do your 3 miles easy recovery run.

The rest of the week is great,
    Meg when is your next race and what is it?

Meg is doing her longer runs on the Thursday, instead of the Sunday as the RW plan suggests. Incorporating some mixed paced running in your longer run is a great way of pushing some boundaries!

Liz

• Options
    First race is Berkhamsted half marathon on 1/3/09!! x
  • Options

Hi Meg!

Great to meet you on Saturday, I hope you enjoyed the day and found it informative! I am going to have a look through your dietary analysis over the next few days which im sure will make for interesting reading.

As I mentioned at the weekend im on hand to answer any questions you may have, no matter how trivial or complex you may think! You have my email and phone number so feel free to contact me at anytime.

Unfortuneately I dont believe that the pre and post weighing was overly accurate for yourself from looking at the results and hope to spend more time and better equipment in the March workshop assessing your hydration status and rehydration strategy.

Hope you enjoy your rest day!!

Chris

• Options

Meg, how has your week been so far? How have the legs been and how have you transfered the pace across from the weekend.

Liz
  • Options

Hi Meg

Just want to wish you well and judging from what I've ready you're doing fantastic. A real inspiration. I'm not doing a mara until September but that will be my first. Got 2 half's planned for March and April and concentrating on those.

Anyway sounds like Liz is motivating you and keeping you in check.

Have a good week and again - Good Luck.

Chrissie