Lucozade Sport Super Six: Mystic (first-time)

Comments

• Hi Meg,

How did the weekend go??

Liz
  • Hi Guys,

If you are following the 4.30 plan and would like any advise on here then just post some questions and fire away!

Hope your training is all going well and the snow has not disrupted things too badly!

Best wishes,

Liz
  • Hi Liz,

I'm too following the 4.30 plan, but yesterday felt tired and weak, therefore missed the fartlex session and had a rest day instead.

Should i replace a session in this weeks schedule with the fartlex session to make up being this has an emphasis on speed. Hope this makes sense, Thanks.  well done Meg keep at it. 

• Hi Slimline!

Well done for listening to your body! There is a lot of things going around at the moment. I would just carry on and pick up the schedule, don't really worry about trying to make up for lost time. Get a few easier runs in and get your energy back again.

Make sure you are eating enough Carbs, and drinking enough fluids. Eating within 15 mins of a run, i.e. a banana or a recovery drinks will help you to recover faster between runs! Also some days we just have an off day! I get them once a month....guess what that could be!!

Liz
  • Liz - I completely forgot, when we were in Twickenham, to ask you about organic food (this is only slightly a tangent).  You talked about wholefoods, but do you eat organically?
  • hi all,

sorry been a bit absent.....away at the mo.

Will be back in touch properly at the weekend - but enjoy the snow!!! x
  • Going to back to Wotsit's comment about organic and wholefoods. I eat wholefoods whenever I can and the budget permits. Only yesterday I had a whole box of raspberry pop tarts.

Don't tell the Sports Scientists though.

• Hello Wotsit,

Great to have you on here! I try to eat organic meat as much as possible, and the veg I vary as organic is still so expensive. I would buy organic all the time if shopping was not so expensive right now. Bread I just try and choose one that has no preservatives and other rubbish ingredients. So whole foods come first, and then I try and spot good deals on organic!

Fat face, I hope you are not counting your raspberry pop tarts as one of your 5 a day! I don't think you can get much more processed.

Meg is having a great time running in alpine forests and mountains, how inspiring can that be? Not surprised she was so up beat in her e mail to me last night!

Good luck with the training guys!

Liz x
  • Thanks Liz - in my previous, pre-children, life, I used to do some research into organic food, so I'm always interested, especially for someone like you, for whom food is that much more finely balanced.  I could / can go on for hours about the pros and cons of eating organically, but I won't!  Its pretty hard to be 'real' organic, we just go for the top priorities organically and fit everything else in where we can.

Fatface - Strawberry poptarts all the way for me.  Its a family holiday staple. 

Meg *is* high altitude training.  I knew it! image

• Does nobody remember Jesse's Diet from The Fast Show?

This week I are mostly been eating raspberry poptarts.

• Bet Meg's snow doesn't seem like our snow!

Never had a pop tart in my life but could get used to those Lucozade energy bars in a strange and artificial kind of a wayimage

• This week I have mostly been eating soup.

And Beechams powders.

What happens when the chewy bars run out?  Will they leave us, after the marathon, as lucozade addicts?  Will we be raiding sports stores around the country for their supplies? 

• I aint never gonna run out girl, I did the same thing as you and accidently ordered some more. I have had to get rid of a child to accomodate the Lucozade suppliesimage

• Wotsit, I have a cold too, the dam things are flying around everywhere.

Yes Meg is doing sneeky altitude training...bet she is unaware of the benefits she will gain from it! lol.

Have a great weekend,

Liz

• done slightly less than anticipated as the snow has been coming down here too!!!! Back tomorrow - sounds as though Feb is going to bring some interesting challenges at home from a weather perspective.....hope you re both feeling much better soon. Meg x
  • Hi - i have a question for Liz if ok?

What do you recommend to support running in terms of conditioning/strengthening work. I am running 4-5 times per week and do not have a lot of extra time so anything that i could do at home would be great.

Meg - hope you enjoyed your altitude training and got home safely - keep up the good work - you are doing great.

• Hello Meg, Liz and everyone else on the forum; just a hello from me - a bit of a challenging week running wise. Despite many inches of white stuff to work around I have managed to get out and run (very carefully) in the biting cold (quite refreshing!!) . Off for a weeks holiday on Thursday to the mountains and can't wait. I will be taking kit with me...and promise not to drink too much red wine and eat too much cheese. (unless organic ....is that ok!)  Anyway, wishing you all a good weeks running. Sho image 
  • Have a great holiday Sho! I am not green really!!

Abs...By the sounds of your name it sounds like you already to what I may suggest, and that is core work, Pilates is a really great complimentary activity for running and can really help with injury prevention and holding your form together in the final miles of a marathon.

Have a good week,

Liz

• Hi - Can I jump on board?

I am hoping for a 4h30 FLM too but I am going on a skiing holiday on Friday and not back until 10days later meaning I will miss two scheduled long runs. There is a treadmill so I should be able to fit some running in but I would be interested to hear what others think is the best course of action!

Many thanks!

• HI gpot, Its always tricky fitting in the runs - but I usually manage a few hill reps - which always feels much harder than at home - maybe due to the altitude........more to keep me ticking over than part of my plan. If you have access to a treadmill that is great....but will leave more expert thoughts from Liz. Have a good one! Enjoy the fresh air and mountains.......Shoimage
  • Hi

Quick question for Liz if thats ok....

I am also training for hopefully a 4.30 marathon! On my sunday long runs it seems to take me ages to warm up, my legs feel really heavy for the first 3 to 4 miles. I seem to find it so much harder running in the morning as opposed to my evening week day runs. I would imagine its due to not having a days food in my belly for running fuel, but I struggle to eat before a morning run as I suffer from stitch if I do. Any advise??

I did 10.2 miles yesterday in 1hr 36mins ( with a few gruelling hills and icey roads), am I on track for around the 4.30 mark? 

Thanks alot, and keep up the good work Meg! xx

• Dear All,

Back in one peice after a 9 hours delay at Geneva, having to get a separate flight home with a vomitting baby and an over tired four year old - whilst hubby waited for the bags at Luton!!!! Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh.....feels like it has all gone a bit to pot as I did not manage a run yesterday due to all the sickness in the family.....still back on track - running tonight and will be back to schedule then (in the rain and snow!).

Guess psychologically the end of the holiday was quite significant for me - now it feels like its all getting wuite close and I really have to up the ante and keep on track.

Hope everyone is OK in the snow.. x

• Hello gspot, going Skiing is great as you are going to altitude and having the benefits of breathing and being active in the thin air, so when you Ski it is not about the training you are missing, but think about the benefits of going, Skiing will add to leg strength and provide time on feet. I see no need for you to run long when you are skiing, just make sure you do one before you leave and plan one in when you get back, and you will only have 10 days between long runs, rather than 7! Just do some running to tick over and you will not lose any fitness.

Kerry, many people find it hard to run in the morning. Your body is warmer in the evening and running at this time feels much easier! To help your body feel better in the morning is to get up 30 mins earlier and walk around more. Also make sure you eat well (carbs) the night before and maybe consider taking a carb drink, or gels early on in your runs, as you will need to incorporate an energy replacement strategy into your training runs for the marathon anyway. Also accept it will take longer to warm up on early morning runs.

As for your Marathon target, it looks like you are on track. A half marathon race will be a better predictor of pace!

Liz
  • Thanks for the prompt replies!

I am certainly one for sticking to a schedule like glue so I will look at my plan and have a reorganise - As this is my first marathon I am still in the mind set of if I don't do what the book says I won't be able to do it!

A few short runs on a treadmill seem do-able when away I'll try to fit some inbetween kids, skiing and of course trying to resist the cheese, wine and chocolate waffles!

Many thanks

Gx

• Hi Liz

Thanks for the reply. I'll  take your advise. Glad to know many people struggle with earlier runs. Makes me feel better!

thanks again x

• Hi guys - this might seem like a daft question, but how do you really know what MP is. I know i should be working it into my long runs etc but i am not really sure what it is. My 10k is about 54 mins and half marathon is 2 hrs, but i am worried that if i go at the pace of 9.45 thinking this is my MP, i might get to the day and not be able to sustain it. I guess my worry is that how do i know if i have never run the distance and do not know what to expect?

Sorry for the waffling..... any thoughts, words of wisdom most welcome.

• Don't know if this helps - but technically I think a 4.30 pace will work out as 10.18 min mile consistently. Have to be honest - I am not the best pacer - but if you have a garmin - that will help. Your speed sounds not that different from mine.

What I have noticed is that doing the fast pace work makes a massive difference to how long I can sustain pace for. I know that should be obvious - but if you are anything like me - you will have run your "comfy" pace for so long, that it becomes habit. I never thought I could sustain 7 mile per hour pace for very long - but seem to be doing it OK now - certainly over 7-8 miles.

I guess I am reaching my threshold HR (for me about 175/176) much less quickly - so......not that I am an expert......I am now a true advocat of the interval session.....having never done much before. In fact I swapped last today's session for last night - and did 1 mile warm up, and then 6 reps of 2 mins at either 13.5 or 14km/hr, followed by recovery at about 8 km/hour for 90 secs. Did not feel like a long run - but I know it helps my pace hugely.

There endeth the waffle.......hope it makes sense.......have a fun day. Meg x

• Meg, have you thought about eating cake at all?  Lots of gooey, sticky cake.  I've heard its brilliant for helping you run a marathon and won't slow you down..... no, not at all.... honest.

It makes me feel much better when you write you pacing down in kmph because I have a mental block on converting it to 'real money'.

Nice running Mrs image

•  Thanks Mate.........I've heard dragging a sledge full of Lucozade products is good for training too! x
  • Not sure about in training, but on the day it might work image