Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Mystic (first-time)

Comments

• Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to explain that for me.
  • Options

A half-marathon before work with head torches...?  Errr....bonkers I think Meg but hey what's new! image 

And yes I can certainly testify to Meg being a real bundle of energy.  Even 2 equally energetic little girls doesn't seem to have slowed her down!

Toin x

• Options
    Meg - I've ordered a Nathan Trail Mix which has 2 smaller bottles (plus pounch for gels etc), so I can have lucozade one side and water the other - as in race conditions.  It should arrive today and I'll let you know how it goes.  I've bought quite a few bits from the site in the link and they're ace.  They do a 4 bottle option too.
  • Options

How was the headtorch run Meg - did you go for it?? Hope you not paying the price at work - i would be asleep at my desk after that. Keep up the fab  work...

• Options

Meg,

How did the course Recce go? Easy I hope!

Well done for the hill session...I don't know how you run on a treadmill it would do my head in!

Liz
  • Options

Hi - just wondered if anybody has any experience of sore knees. My knees felt sore after a 12 mile run 11 days ago but i put it down to the longer run. i last trained on Monday and legs felt fine when running and even after that until i stretched. Ouch ouch ouch in both knees. They do not hurt to touch or even when going up and down stairs - just not quite right. less flexible i guess. I am seeing physio on Friday and thought best not to run til then but am petrified will not be able to do flm or get beind in training.

Meg - the 12mile run was in daylight so not cos i went to fast LOL!!!

• Options

Thank goodness its not just me Abs11!! My knees and shins are hurting too, not agony or anything like that but just abit tender and tired. Did the hill reps last night, when I probably should of rested them as they did hurt a little bit throughout,just took it steady. I am away this weekend, so plan to do the long run on friday afternoon instead of sunday, just debating if I leave it now for a couple of nights until fri to rest them. Likewise, worried if I leave it I'll get behind!

Will be interested to see what advice anyone has!

• Options

Kerry - that is a relief -not that i would wish sore knees on anyone, but i guess that maybe aches and pains are part of the journey and not just me. Maybe i am being over cautious not running until seen physio but am so worried that if i go out now, i will do damage. Was weird, running felt fine - maybe stretching is not for me LOL (good try!!)

Hope your training is going well - i am sure a few days rest can do no harm -  i will just be mortified if it turns into weeks..

• Options

you are all getting a bit ahead of my antics!!! Today was an "easy" 6.35 miler - kept it that way - because the mad morning run is tomorrow......oh dear.....what HAVE I done??? Will let you know from work tomorrow what happens!!

Wotsit - thanks for advice on running belt - will look into that.

Abs11 and kerry - hope the knees get better soon.

Sleep tight. x
  • Options
    Hmmmmm. No report from Meg. Do you think her head torch battery went flat and she got lost?
  • Options
    No....i am here!!!!!!!!!!!

it was fine and i spent the day feeling very virtuous! the local deer were bemused, I am going ot have to take out a court order against Dacorum Council to get them to address their street lighting issues - and i had a bit of a blip at about 9.5 miles when someone nearly ran me over.....but it was great actually.

Did it in 1 hour 55 minutes which was OK. It was fairly hilly....lovely course....all good really. Happy days. Would like to do it a bit faster next week - but did it at a comfy/ but harder than easy pace....we shall see.

rest day tomorrow............

x
  • Options

Well done Meg - fantastic run - you gonna kick it big time next week girl (omg - i am sounding like my son!!!!)

Enjoy your rest day tomorrow - i have now had enough of rest days and just wanna run - like a bad itch this is!!

Keep at it

• Options

Well done Meg - that's fantastic!  Its always hard to predict when you've got to navigate a crowd but I'm fairly sure you'll do an even better time next week when its race conditions, daylight, no traffic and no onlooking deer!

Enjoy your rest day - you've earned it! xx

• Options

Hi Meg,

Glad you have made it back ok! You nutter!

Re knees: I would go to the physio and check that you have not got anything more sinister than 'sore knees'. In long endurance training for the marathon people are typically running longer, faster than before and the body sometimes has trouble keeping up with the amount of work placed on it, hence the sorness. Allow you body time to adapt and recover and then place the load on it again, so maybe consider some non impact exercise such as swimming, cycling , and do this for less time or rest a day or two and just give your body a chance to catch up.

Also get some essential fatty acids in your body as these are a natural anti-inflammatory. (oily fish, linseeds, etc)

Have a good weekend,

Liz
  • Options

Hi all

Sorry to interrupt  - just wanted to drop in and remind you that Nick Morgan (Lead Sport Scientist at Lucozade Sport) will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about fuel and hydration.

We've opened the debate a little early so post your questions to Nick now so he can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Catherine

• Options

Liz - oily fish, yuk!!!!

Thanks for the advice - i did go to the physio last night after having 4 days off running. He is happy for me to continue running but must do exercises to strengthen my quads and straighten my legs a bit. It could be that my knees are too bent when i run - thought that was weird but then my husband said he had noticed i have a really short stride and my knees are quite bent. Must try running on stilts lol!!! I always thought it was like playing with fire trying to change your running style but maybe i need to take a look.

More interestingly, back to Meg - i am sooooooooooo jealous, a 1 55 half and that was not even the event - you are going to do brill. Keep going, you are an inspiration. I hope you enjoyed your rest day - i cannot believe we are now going into week 8, that is half way - scary stuff.

• Options
    Really scary!!!! glad you got your knees diagnosed.....hope they are OK.

Was meant to run an easy 3 m today but have missed it. had ad rest day yesterday after my early morning escapades.....but had a sor throat and headache today - so thought a day off would probably do me more good than the three miles.

....back to the plan tomorrow though - reagrdless. That is a 1 m WU, 4 miles at MP, and then a 1 m WD.

Abs11 - take it easy on those knees - I am only 5'2'' so thinking the stilts idea sounds like a good one! xx
  • Options

5'2"!!!!!  You're as tall as that?

Take care with that sore throat and headache. Dr Fat Face prescribes Lucozade Isotonic Drink Mix, sniffed not stirred.

• Options

Morning all

Hope you are feeling a bit better today Meg? I managed to get out for a long run today - has restored a bit of confidence thank god. I decided to walk for a minute every 20 for 2 hrs as did not want to upset knees but they gave me no problems at all and are still feeling ok a few hrs later. Tested carb gels too - they are pretty good - my last 4 miles were strong and could have carried on but common sense prevailed - this is so not me, not usually so sensible!!

How did your run go today? Must seem strange not doing a long run today. Have you got your MP sussed now or are you going to wait until your half to get an idea of what you are aiming for.

• Options

Hiya,

Run OK today - although still not feeling 100%....was thinking about pacing on the way round and have decided I am completely rubbish at it...Liz - need some help!!!!

I run my OK pace at about 6.9/ 7.0mph when it is flat....should this be my MP? My hr is ususally about 165 ish at this pace - and I guess I ran about this for the HM I did in the week - but the hillyness probably slowed me down a bit......I think I need some guidance here!

FF - yes I am 5'2''.....sometimes a quarter of an inch taller if I really try...and I am standing next to extraordinarily small people. Doesn't help that whenever we see each other I am standing next to Liz - I think she actually has 6'' stilettos under her tracksuit.

Have tried snorting Lucozade but just makes me sneeze really energetically......scared os losing my eyeballs, so may revert to drinking it. Am taking on massive doses of Vit C and paracetemol and largely ignoring it.....Hmmmm...should I have admitted that?

Anyway - well done on your long run Abs11 - gla dthe knees held out!

Have a good week all.......Berkhamsted half next Sunday...........eeekkk. x

• Options

Speed session last night on the treadmill.....made hugely entertaining by two girls with pink lycra and pink ipods (need I say more).....suddenly the 4 minute fast section seemed a breeze...until one of them shot off backwards.......laughing in your threshold HR is a tricky thing to do!!!!!!

Rest day today...60 mins easy tomorrow and then a massive taper for the Berko half this Sunday. Planning on running it at 170hr, but I do have a humming birds heart. That will probably work out at just under 7mph.

Just realised how much we are all learning. 3 months ago - I would not have had a clue how fast I really ran, or what HR to aim for.....or am I just trying to make myself feel more confident as the reality of 26 miles is dawning on me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Abs11 - all going OK your way?

x

• Options

Good luck for Sunday Mystic. If my HR averaged 170 for a half I think I'd finish the race in an ITU.

I've got a 5 mile race planned. Coach Steve has said to see how close to 35 I can get. My immediate answer is "not very near". We'll see.

• Options

You probably have a proper heart that doesn't go from  50-150 in about 20 seconds!!

Good luck for the 5 miler - 35 minutes.....wow!!!!! x

• Options

Ahhh. Do you get those readings on your Garmin as well? Is your HR sky high in the first mile? Mine certainly is. I've had readings of 201 bpm within the first mile of a LSR only for it to average out at 125 for a 15 miler done at 9:30min mile pace. So there's a few options here:-

1 - I'm superman
    2 - I'm in serious trouble
    3 - The Garmin's playing up

Anything else?

• Options

All going well thanks Meg - i was not sure whether to do intervals today, so decided to do the first and see how that felt - all was good so completed the session. So weird as i was worried that taking nearly a week off, i would lose loads of fitness, but the pace of these intervals was a tad faster than a few weeks ago and felt easier - liking that!!!!

You have every right to feel confident and should do - you are doing great. Have an image of the girls in their pink lycra - is strange the things you notice at the gym. I caught myself staring at a girl running on the treadmill in those little ballet pump style shoes that were all the rage last year - runners world quotes going through my head about proper footwear.

Enjoy your rest befre the race, then go and nail it.

FF - never heard of a Garmin doing such a thing, definitely superhuman. Nah, mine does that too - bit like when it says you are running 12 min/mile then the lap was 9!!!

• Options

Hi Meg,

I hope your cold has gone, and don't train if you are not feeling well. You are much better to rest!

As for your pace, I would rather you ran the half marathon and then I will let you know my thoughts on what pace you should be aiming for in the marathon. I don't want to restrict you until a race reveals what you are capable of.

So go and have a great race at the weekend, and we can review things from there.

Can you convert to min per miles?? Rather than miles per hour? I can't figure it out!

Liz x
  • Options

Hi all,

Just wondered what distance everyone was doing for this weeks long run? On the training plan it states 5m to 1/2 marathon race. (My proper 1/2 marathon race is in a couple of weeks time), so a bit confused as to what distance I should be doing this weekend. I'm following the RW sub 4.30 plan so am up to 14 miles (last weekend). Should this be a week that you step back abit on the long run?

Sorry, probably a daft question!

thanks

• Options
    Liz - glad you asked Meg to convert the pace, I have been trying to work out how fast she goes but can't! I might have competition I am unaware of!
  • Options

Believe me you have no competition!!!!!

Had an extra rest day yesterday - on a big taper for Sunday anyway - and have had this headache for about a week. Miust be a virus  - so taking advice and resting!!! xx

• Options

Hi Meg, you sure it is a virus? Have you been drinking enough etc?

Hope you are ok?

Kerry: What time are you running for right now? You could do one of two things. Increase the time you run for by 10-15mins and run easy, or you could do a 2hour run, but add in some blocks of pace. By this you may run the last 30mins at threshold, or Run 3 lots of 10mins within the last hour at threshold pace with 10mins between?

Just some ideas!

Liz