Options

Ridgeway 85

Comments

• Options
    130 metres is probably a little low.  I would try to build up to about 1/2 mile over the next month.
  • Options

It was a one off to see if I could, and to be honest it won't help with the sub 3 at all.

The mileage should help my strength which is important as I have alot of marathons comng up and I don't want to spend time out recovering.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ah, Joe H.  I thought I'd seen you somewhere.

I'm really looking forward to this.  My first seriously long event.  All sorts of things could and probably will go wrong.  Hope to have a good learning experience.

• Options
    i'm intriged by the suggestion that this distance could be attempted from a training marathon base!!? i'm doing london in a few weeks which I've trained 6 mnths for, and aiming to go sub 3:15. entered my first ultra (33m) in May which i'm so excited about... now clearly all you ultra runners are a little crazy (and I can't wait to join you!!) but do you think I can seriously consider this at the end of August?? Too soon?? The fact that I'm asking probably means I'm not ready for it but the art of persuasion is a funny thing...
  • Options
    man...just read the event reviews and I think I already convinced myself this IS possible!!! don't think I wil tell the wife though...image
  • Options
    I think that you would be pushing it to attempt 85M from straght marathon training, 50M maybe.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    You're going to have to at some point, Stuart B.  You'll probably be out a fair few hours.  Seriously though, have you done many marathons?  If you're just suddenly going beserk this year it might be a bit too much.  Best to build up to these things.  I guess you're talking about the Marlborough Downs 33 which is a fab event.
  • Options

been running since 2005 and ran 2 marathons in 2006. london 09 will be my third so starting from a fairly solid base. thanks for the advice. yes its the Marlborough Downs 33 which looks great for a first Ultra! just hope I don't get lost!

I agree JH as I was ideally looking to do a 50m in August which is how I came upon the ridgeway 85... does anyone know of any 50m events in August? none on RW event finder. thanks guys

• Options

I'm doing the Kent 50 but that is the 19th July and after that I am maaking my decision as to whether I'll do this as I don't think the Ridgeway generally fills up.

Or you could sign up for this with the intention of stopping at Goring which would give you around 45ish lots of people will drop out here as there is a very good checkpoint and train station is just down the road.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Goring is too good a place to drop out, as I found out last year!

40m off road ultra for me tomorrow, all in good prep for Ridgeway 09... this time I WILL FINISH!

(incidently, my mate did it last year on quite literally NO training and really put me to shame!!)

• Options
    Good luck with the ultra F-  Jogged the last of the Ridgeway stages today in 46mins  - it really is only 6.46 miles, down hill from Barbury to Avebury, yet even the winner took 1.5 hours to do it last year - anyone got a training plan that focusses on the last 5 miles of an 85 mile race?image
  • Options
    hi all, i cant wait for this run. I've never done a single day this long so really looking forward to the challenge.

Ive done a 50 miler and the MDS so I should be ok!!! Famous last words.

Stuart, if you fancy doing this run just go for it. Why don't you plan on completing the first 50 miles of it then if your feelign good go the next checkpoint and so on....if you finish great if not you will have still smashed your distance pb.

See you all there...Johnny
  • Options

I going to see now the 33miler goes first and have also just entered the Kent 50 (great tip Joe H) which will provide a real challenge not only because of the total distance involved but because its also around a 6.5 mile loop which will tcertainly test ones resolve http://www.50milechallenge.co.uk/

if they both go well then RW85 could be on the radar.....

Good luck Jonny! btw what is the MDS?

• Options

Stuart - Just so that you not unprepared its not actually 50M its a double mara 52.4M.

I quite like laps on an Ultra as long as they aren't to short as you get to run past your kit fairly often. So you can change , pick up gels and drinks etc , which on a point to point you'd probably have to carry.

• Options
    Hi Stuart,
    You'll enjoy the 50 miler, its a nice distance. The MDS is the Marathon des Sables, the 150 mile 6 stage sahara ultra. That will be next on your list. I am running it for Mencap in 2010, once was not enough. They may have some places..

Good luck with your ultra's and your training and maybe see you on the Ridgeway run.

Cheers
  • Options

wow... a  double marathon somehow sounds so much further than 50miles!! kinda brings home the enormaity of the challenge at hand!

MDS....all that sands in your shoes sounds real tough!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

How did your ultra go, Mr F?

Michael G - it's a mental strategy.  Get to the 80-mile point and then think "I can finish this in 46 minutes.  No problem."  And see yourself sailing by everybody to the front of the field.

• Options

Compton 40 for me today.

3:10 first half , 2:51 second half giving me an irrating 6:01 and 9th image .

First time that far and it adds another 5M to the my longest race distance.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Great run, Joe H.  I take it that was an offroad event - awesome time, and negative split.
  • Options

Have started to think about this one. I am doing Comrades in 2 weeks time and it would seem a  shame not to make the most of all this training ! I also like the idea of night running - did a 33 miler back in february at night and it was one of the most fun races I have done. Need to think about the logistics with cars though (joe, I also did compton, great race !)

• Options
    Copwood - I hope you have a great time at Comrades , it is one of the races that I will do at sometime.
  • Options
    Just sent my entry in. Now I will work out how I am going to complete 85 miles ( some of it in the dark of night.)
    I am sure it will be great fun.
    Now I must go out and practice.
  • Options
    I'll be entering this again as I ran it in 2007 and completed! Can anyone tell me the rules of starting at 10am instead of 12 and how it effects the overall results?
  • Options

From what I heard.If you start at 10am and take under 24hrs however much you beat the 24hrs by gets doubled and added on to you finishing time as a penalty.

ie if you finish in 23:30 you get a1hr penalty so your finishing time would be 24:30  

Only what I have heard, so not sure if it is correct

• Options
    WWN - they're strict about start times, and penalties  - the reason being that its such an advantage to do most in day light, they need to make sure the faster ones get enough darkness to make it a more even challenge for everyone.
  • Options
    Yeah I remember some kind of rule but was not sure. I took part in 2007 and it took me 24hrs on a run walk. Ran the day and walked most of the night as it was slightly foggy and I did not want to fall over and break my legs etc!!
  • Options
    WWN /Joe - regarding the penalty, I thought it was if you started at 10 and finished in under 23 hours then the difference between your time and 23hrs was added; I am as unsure as anyone about it though!
  • Options
    Or maybe it's half the difference between your time and 23hrs is added. Better start at 12 and save all the mental arithmetic!
  • Options
    Ok have decided to do this one - impressed that so many seem concerned about the results !! What is considered a sensible time to aim for here ? I am thinking it feels right to aim for around 5 miles per hour, so a target of 17 hours, but that actually sounds quite fast ! What sort of times are others thinking about ?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

17hrs is fast, in my book anyway! Lat year the first 30 flew by for me, even in the extremely hot conditions. You really have to add a good amount of time to your first half split to come anywhere close to your final time!! Im still unsure about this for 2009. Got my eye on the 24hr Thunder Run the first week in August, so omt think i can do them both in one month.

Ridgeway however is unfinished business for me so I might be tempted to return again!!