Ridgeway 85

Comments

• T-Rex - I didn't want to be alarmist - I'm sure CP4 onward is do-able in the dark, but gets a bit fiddly leading up to Nuffield and I would imagine that Nuffield golf course has the potential for slip ups if you cannot see the direction posts across each of the fairways. Grimm's Ditch isn't a navigational problem as its nice and straight and even downhill, but needs attention paying to zee feet owing to tree roots etc. With tree cover I imagine it looses the light early. In daylight it seemed a nice brisk run down and it would be a shame to have to pick your way more carefully down in the dark.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    OK, OK, I'll get a move on!  I can see this is going to be more of an adventure than I realised.  I'll try to keep you in my sights, WWN (although you left me for dust in Caerphilly Summits).
  • T-Rex it's actually not that bad and not as difficult as Caerphilly.  Just remember to pack the pain killers! I'm going to take some walking poles for the last few miles just in case. I did last time but never used them.  Anyone got a numbers of total entrants so that there is always somebody near? (Unless you are first!). 

It will work out on the day so don't worry. image He says!!

• This does sound like rather an adventure - thanks everyone for the advise about the route.  I will also be there at the start.

It would be good to know the total entrants and how many are starting at the 12:00 start?

• Anyone got any totals for the 12 start yet? Planning and training has gone well for me but we will see on the day with the big test!!

T-Rex you all sorted?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Kind of.  I'm going to do some major route/map preparation over the next few days.  Running to work tomorrow (32-mile round trip mostly on canal towpath).  Workmates think I'm somewhat strange when I do this, especially since my shift finishes at midnight.  Last time I did this was in Jan, it was minus 5 deg, I was late leaving work, and didn't get home until 0340.  Had quite a heavy rucksack with work clothes and shoes, etc.

No idea about numbers.  Unlike a track 1500m I don't expect we'll be exactly tripping over each other.

• T-rex. a 16 mile late night run should be fun. It will get you used to running at night. To be fair the night section on this is pretty good. Just make sure that you have a good head lamp and spare batteries. Don't forget to take a walkman as the night section can be a bore if there is nobody around. Oh and watch you footing.  Last time I had a camelbak with my night gear in and emergency gear. Just in case of any slip ups! Don't forget your night glow stick for the back of your pack. (A personal safety thing).

Have you ordered a Harvey map or are you using an OS map?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Got Harvey but I never find their maps very clear, especially with the Ridgeway marked in red, but other paths, etc in pink which are hard to tell apart, especially at night! I've now bought all 4 OS 1:25000 for the route and am going to be doing a mammoth copying, cutting, and pasting job.

I'm puzzled why the event doesn't go to the end of the Ridgeway which is only another 2 miles or so.  Is the turn off at SU126708 down "Herepath or Green Street"? I'm not sure exactly where the Social Centre is (even though I've done Neolithic marathon twice and should know!) but I expect it will be obvious.

• T-rex don't worry about the Harvey maps. I managed fine. The red track is the main one and also the widest. I was going to try the OS maps the first time round but they are pricey for the lot. I'd just print off a page of street map for the village hall at half way etc. Also there is no way of missing the turning off near the end of the ridgeway. Even for the most knackered person!! The sign they put out is so big and bright! Trust me you would not want to miss it.image
  • Got an e-mail from the organisor today. Asked about starters. This is the reply so hopefully there will be loads around  - image

'At present I have 95 starters with 38 on the early start and 57 on the late start.  Entries are still coming in.'

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Not as many entrants as I would have thought for a long-running event.

My 2x16.6 mile commute yesterday went well, the first time covering that sort of distance without energy drink of some sort.  Just one gel.  Finally got in about 0330.

• T-Rex = NUTS!!!

Nah, we'll all be that next Saturday!image

• Anybody got any tips on medical products that I can put on my feet. Stuff I can get from the 'Boots' store over the counter?
  • I tried duct tape last week with great success - although I would hardly class it as "medical" in the usually accepted understanding of the term. Applied it before the blisters were anything more than a twinkle in the eye of my stand-in insoles. Are there any duct tape experts who feel willing to explain the pros and cons of various UK brands? I'm torn between the cheap thin stuff I got in my local store (and have tested) against what is clearly heavier weight Duck tape (tm). Have also got some tincture of benzoine (adherant) but havn't tried that now and would be loth to experiment on the day.

The duct tape seemed better than the complex arrangement of elastoplast (my favoured brand) that I have used on rare previous recent blister experiences. It seemed more flexible and easier to get comprehensive coverage (just wrap it round and round). Also I suspect the shiny exterior is a plus too. 

• I don't know what to say or who to ask what.
    So what I shall say is this.- I am so excited I could do a jig.
    Is it normal to feel this way approaching such a big event?
    I have done a few 30+ races as well as a couple of 50 milers but this will be my first over-night run.
    I started running again to see if I could do a sub 40 minute 10k and now I am looking to do a sub 24 hour 85 mile trail race. I would love to know how that happened. I am sure I never took a wrong turn.
    I hope everyone enjoys the race this weekend.

• but did you get the sub 40 image
  • Then you didn't go wrong you just carried on down the road . image

See you on Saturday.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭

just want to wish all you guys and gals the best for the weekend. Was there last year but had to pull at 42m cos of a sprained ankle. Gutted. The oly run in the last 18yrs ive not completed and had to sit and watch my mate and training buddy come home in 26hrs.

Truly epic course, first half somewhat hillier than the second!

Best of luck all, you'll love it

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thanks, MrF.  I take it you're not featuring this year?

MA - Not sure I want to start experimenting with duct tape, etc at this late stage, although blisters is the main problem I am concerned about on this little jaunt.  Have only just got the last lot healed after my 78-miler on 1 Aug.

I think I'm more nervous than excited, but I'm sure it will all work out on the day (and the night, and the next day).

• Guys/Gals don't worry as long as you are mentally prepared it will all come togethor!image Second time I have ran this. First part is the most challenging so get to Goring as quick as you can to keep the light on your side. Second half flatter but watch your footing and remember your spare battries for the torch!!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭

T-Rex, no sadly not there this year. Just getting over a broken ankle but focussing my efforts on getting to the start line for Snod! Il be there though, whatever.

For some very silly reason I signed myself up for the 100mile devon coast to coast next April. image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Mr F - I see you've changed to Mr Bump.  Sorry about your ankle.  I'll look out for the guy on crutches struggling up past Waunfawr.  Devon run sounds interesting, but may clash with Highland Fling, one of my favourite events.  I'll google it.

WWN - don't forget the back-up headtorch so that you can see how to change the batteries in the main headtorch.  I think of everything.

• T-rex I'm one step ahead!!!! Got a mini maglite for that!image   Anyway have we hit the 100 entry mark yet?
  • Best of luck to everyone for this weekend. I can't wait to get going.
    Am I right in thinking that food is provided at the check points and not just Goring?
    As I'm running unsupported I want to carry sufficent food without the need for a fridge on my back!
  • Road runner. Last time I ran this there was food at check points. I remember 1 checkpoint at night with hotdogs on the go!!! Don't know about this year mind.

Anyway good luck everyone. See you tomorrow!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Mini maglite??  My spare headtorch is the Petzl e+lite (27g) image.

24 hours to go folks.

One step beyond.

• ... i'll be there too. I was one of those who entered at the last minute. I did it in 2005 in 20.23hrs but am looking more like 22hrs this time.

The run did go right to the end of the Ridgeway (Overton Hill) when I did it in 2005.  I suspect they changed it because there's absolutely nothing there whereas there are plenty of facilities in Avebury (pub/bus stop/changing etc)

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Have fun guys and gals!

Hope you beat your 07 time WWN!