Options

ITBS help

After completing the Great Cumbrian run back in October I came on with a fairly severe bout of ITBS. For the 1st week or so I could hardly walk at all. Now 11 weeks later I am back running regularly but seem to have hit a plateau. I have been able to run for about 45 minutes continuously with little or no pain for the last 4 weeks or so but it just won’t improve beyond that. It makes no difference what speed I go, even if I head out really slowly after 45 mins it begins hurting.

I have seen a physio (about 7 or 8 weeks ago when I was still not able to run) who prescribed the usual stretches and icing but mentioned nothing about muscle imbalance or running gait or anything. I have been doing these stretches regularly as well as sports massages (which have really helped – although haven’t been able to go for the last few weeks) and the rolling pin thingy to try and loosen the IT band up. I am also going to buy some new running shoes and confirm I am wearing the right kind.

Is there any advice anyone can give me. Is it likely that the injury will continue to improve if I keep up the above regime and don’t go on past the time when my knee starts hurting? My concern is that there is a possibility it is not improving beyond its current state due to a problem with my running style/ muscles imbalance which I have not addressed. But as the physio I saw made no mention of these I don’t know who to turn to find out whether I have these issues or not?

Comments

• Options
    It's not improving because you keep hurting it. When you hurt it, you damage it and you make it worse. If you want the time the pain hits you to get longer, don't cause pain. All you've done is reach a point where the damage rate balances the recovery rate.

Stop running til it hurts. Simple!
  • Options
    I would recommend a podiatrist - but one who knows about running.  Your local proper running shoe shop or running club should be able to recommend one, or if you say where you are somone on here might know.  But go to them before you go and get your new shoes so that you can take their advice into play when buying your next pair. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi, I have the same problem. I have managed to get to 1/2 marathon from having the problem at 30mins. I cut down to 20 mins running for 2 weeks, when I went out to allow for repair and added 5 mins each run every week after that so 25min runs the next week and 30 the next week. This allowed 3 weeks to repair and then listened to my body after that. Icing after a run- even when it doesn't hurt will calm it before it bothers you. Also the knee straps are a must. With all this, some of us will always be prone so 'tread carefully' and listen to your body as if you ignore it , it just gets worse more quickly and takes even longer to heal.