anyone else kicking the weed?

Comments

• cheers david and thans for the support.
  • progress fluctuaty but will soon be doing an allen carr session. Thanjs for your support folks. Glad there was lack of "you are a weak spineless jellyfish" mob on here(unusual for the forum).They have no idea of addiction .
  • getting silly now -cut for a bit, then relaxed, then bback to too many. gotta wait til March for AC clinic which seems too longimage
  • I'd say focus your effort into the AC clinic and use the time to really build up to it. It'll be March before you know it.

• mmm -ta David - I will try to prepare. Seems such a long time but I know it isnt.
  • getting so down aout this. The moment I relax, I smoke -need to relax though. Not a good situation to be in I can tell you. How can i hang on another month-it is crazy.
  • Just give up then !!

You spend far too much time worrying about giving up !

• patly true DTS

is driving me crackerser

• Hoose I gave up about a month ago, maybe more not sure don't really pay any attention to it any more. Used Paul McKenna's  "Quit Smoking Today without Gaining Weight" it is a book to rerad and a CD to listen to everyday for two weeks.  You can get it for about £10.

Anyway I would recomded it, haven't really had any cravings don't really think about smoking at all.

Of course (and I don't want to preach) but any of these methods will only work if you want them to.  

• Mr Guy wrote (see)

Of course (and I don't want to preach) but any of these methods will only work if you want them to.  

Hoose just prefers moaning about giving up !

he has been in the 6 years since he first said he was giving up, and the 5 years since I did give up

• I read allen carr book, stopped straight away afterwards. I wanted to though, and in like three days i felt noticably better. In a month having washed everything i owned nothing smelt of smoke. and let mew tell you, once you give up smoking you smell it ewverywhere, i can smell smokers from 100yds away. Every now and again I want a fag but the feeling passes quickly, like its a brief thought "ooh i'd love a fag" and then i totally forget i thought it. Plus i yawn so much less, its weird. Anyway you want to run you gotta quit, can't do both, that would be pointless. Good luck
  • Ross

Carr book stopped me for 2 weeks and  Carr clinic for 3 months last time. It was good and easy at the time. I felt great. Just lost the switch these days.

thanks for your support.

• well got the stop smoking clinic tomorrow.  Tbh -getting really fed up with hoose as smoker andf the whole damned business. Realised that the idea of smoking being rock and roll was a strong association with me and maybe to stop strips that off me. That is of course nonesense but addiction feeds on associations like that.

I will still be a wild child without the weed after tomorrow image

• Hope it goes well. Do you really WANT to quit, or do you just think you should?

Have you seen those electronic cigarettes? They might help - you can wean yourself down to smoke nothing, but still "smoke", so it becomes totally benign and there's no chemical barrier to quitting
  • Ta Candy. Yes I have really had enough and I am not shoulding on myself at all. If this does not work I will try the lecky ones. Maybe if you got a shock with every puff ,that would help-lol.

I actually are missing the 3 months of feeling good when I stopped long term last time-that will helpimage

• got myself the last supply of fags.  Also treated myself to new running shoes ready for my big surgeimage
  • Hi hoose,tommorow the big day,were all right behind you, im posting my support today for tommorow as im away (hospital with my son)so i wont get time, i hope everyone will take time out everyday to post support  to you, i intend to encourage,nag and of couse advice being an xsmoker myself.main tips i would suggest are arm yourself with fruit, small bottled water(i found it helpfull to sip durning the day also helps with cravings)and vitamins to conteract the large toxins that will leave your body at a high rate,also  deppression is a side effect from quitting smoking so maybe some st johns worth(i cryed for 5months everyday when i quit)make sure when your out running you take in lots of clean air in to your system .im sure this time that you will  not failimage
  • Hoose - Interesting reading your posts over (a long) time. You sound like a classic addict – can’t imagine life with or without your drug. Not a good place to be, I know as I’ve been there with a number of things, including nicotine.

As my name suggests I’m in recovery now, from all mood altering chemicals, including nicotine.

For what it’s worth, among the things that have helped me are realising that I can’t beat an addiction, rather the answer is to realise that it’s beaten me. Instead of “doing battle with it”  I need to surrender. Accept that I can’t do it and move on with my life. Think of getting in the ring with Mike Tyson every day, getting battered every time but our addiction trying to make us think that “this time will be different”. The answer is to accept that it won’t be different and simply stop getting in the ring.

Other big help is to think about doing it a day at a time. It’s too hard to give anything up forever, but I can not do it, just for today. I can’t affect yesterday or tomorrow so I can only focus on being here now. Today I’ll do whatever it takes not to use; tomorrow is another day and I’ll worry about it when it gets here.

• thanks for support folks.

Lillian - yes I am already doubling up on fruit and stuff and loads of water before I stop. Depression is what i have to watch but have been pretty immune to it lately. I cried when I went back after 3 months. Yes it can play havoc with your emotions.

RR--yes -it is easy to set yourself in battle with an addiction. Guess you could get into depression if you are a walking battle field.. Yes I will worry about tomorrow tomorrow but of course it never does arrive.

I am absolutely fed up of them-they bore me and I dont want  to be controlled by them Sometimes I cant scratch me bum efore lighting up-that is crazy. Well in my mind is how good and free I felt when i stopped for 3 months.

tis clean up time for old hoose. Starting to sniffle now at the support here-

well done both on your quitsimage

thanks again

x

• Hoose, sorry for mentioning weed, if I had known about your condition, I wouldn't have mentioned it. Behavior Modification on changing the cues that stimulate  the habitual habit may help. You are already doing the sub for the behav.
  • ta Tom - yes I got all strategies worked out to ensure success this time. Could give myself a great vacation in a year with the money I will save. About £3700 about $5350
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hoose - Good Luck.

I quit about 4 & half years ago through hypnosis - was worth every penny.

I try to go on holiday around the same time each year to `celebrate` my giving up. I was on about 20 / 30 a day depending on what I was doing (& yes I had a totally different lifestyle then).

• well done on your quit Mr K and thanks.

I am an athlete at heart  who could have made a name wrestling years ago.Would never had thought the fags would be my biggest oponent. Now I just wanna run well and enjoy an healthy life.

lots of holidays for me and pay off some mortgage tooimage

• My Dad used to smoke EIGHTY a day when he was younger, and started smoking at about 11/12 years old.  My mum demanded he quit, and eventually he underwent hypnotherapy. He hasn't smoked since.

I haven't touched cigarettes in two weeks after a slight re-lapse, and it helps that I have had a horrible cold and cough, as the thought of smoking makes me feel sick at the moment.

I'm hoping when the cold has gone it'll be out my system long enough to keep it up, and I'll be out of the habit of doing it.

• Good luck Hoose

You CAN do it

• well done nom and keep it up. I am smoking now and it is damned awful, so you are missing nothing. Glad your dad managed it. Many a strong, beautiful person has been crippled by them - I dont want to be another victim of something you crave and when youdo  it, you wish you were not. A crazy state of affairs.

keep at it

Cheers Mr Guyimage

• I would wish you good luck but luck's got nothing to do with it.

Go to the session and make sure you concentrate and soak it all in.

Tell them that it lasted for 3 months last time and see what they say.

You have hundreds of Runner's World peeps relying on you. Don't let us down or there'll be trouble.