anyone else kicking the weed?

Comments

• will do David.

wont fail this time i am sure.

thanks

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Good luck at the clinic tomorrow Hoosie image
  • well  today is the day.

smoked for 40 years now i will promise not to for next 40 then reconsiderimage

• weed now kicked -thats all folks!image
  • cheers Tom

OK though a bit dreamy so far but to be expectedimage

• Your life Hoose to busy to be obssessed with thought about it.
  • no real prob and yes it is down to me. Aint no good obsessing about it . Did for loong time-no use whatsoever.
  • So how you doing hoose ? Still off them ?
  • still off em RR but got close a couple of times. turning into a munching machine though.
  • Hey Hoose - Nice going, keep it up!!

I'm still off them too, it is a good feeling, no?

Try running some more - you will notice a difference straight away!! Plus it distracts you from food/fags! 

• Green tea. It's supposedly very good for you, the ritual of making a cup can replace the ritual of smoking a fag, and it can make you less snacky too.
  • ta folks.

grren tea-mmm

anyway one thing has gelled with me. Stopping smoking altogether and withdrawal are less painful than smoking , hating it and yourself, stopping and starting and having every aspect of your life dictated by  smoking and/or stopping smoking.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Keep going Hoose image
  • going to Cin -dont wanna go through that smoking stuff again image

x

• Just think of the cash you'll save, Hoose xxx
  • yeh about £3500 a year Holly - a couple of weeks in Surrento and some new kitimage
  • Just popped in to say I'm also trying to kick the fags after 27 years!

I reached the same point, just really hated smoking and was so tired of it. I gave up on New Years Eve and only took up running to help me stay of the weed. The shock of how bad my breathing was and the pure joy of completing my daily running goals kept me going.

Unfortunately I missed a few runs, hit some major stress and reached for the fags. I've smoked about 10 in the last couple of weeks and cant believe what I am doing! I know its the slippery slope of the nicotine trap but its difficult. Anyone who says 'just stop' has never experienced addiction and they are very lucky to not understand it.

So Hoose, I hope you are still off the weed and Allen Carr is working for you. I'm just focusing on today and I will NOT smoke today. Tomorrow I'll focus on tomorrow!

Good luck and stay strong! image

• keep going lisahC and hoose,i know its tough the only reason i dont go back on them is i know now flipping hard it was to quit,hoose i agree with nom increase your running if things are getting to you,even a short one on a different route.stay strong,if your tired of tea, try drinking chocolate its good for engery too if you want an extra runimage

• Ever considered Allen Carr's Lisah?

If not, i suggest you give it a go. It really does work and, as it says on the box, it is 'easy'.

• Hi David

I should have shares in Allen Carr! I did the group session many years ago and that kept me off the weed for about 1 year. Since then I havent made a concertedeffort to quit until New Years Eve (just 3 months ago).

I re-read Allens book, bought DS game, and purchased the DVD!

My main problem is that I am fine until I hit stress/anger (which owing to the circumstances of my life can be both unpredictbale and intense), I reach for the fags and lose my self-control.

The main difference this time is that I can recognise each slip for what it is and instantly get back to giving up. Previously I used to think any slip was complete failure and instantly smoke a packet of 20!

I really belive adding in running this time has definately helped. If I run on any day, I dont smoke that day.

• well folks -had a slip up but not had many. Guess I will try again and/or go for anotherAllen Carr backup. Crazy thing is i dont ever enjoy them.

anyway i have a choice either to beat myself up or let it drop and try again -will let it drop. Lisa -you sound -stress and anger does it for me too.

Carr as made it the easiest way i have tried bbut still not enough. I know peops will say you have to really  want to do it. So true asreally wanting to do it and trying for 15 years or so have demonstrated.

good luck all you others -most manage to stop in the end.

• Hi, I sympathise with you both but the thought that smoking is actually helping you is crazy and you should both know it.

• Oh I'm well aware smoking doesnt help with the stress and anger! Even when I lose the plot and spark up I can see its only adding to the problem  - my life is a mess etc etc and now I feel like a loser cos I am smoking again! Its so ridiculous isnt it? 

Well the good news is I havent smoked for the past 2 days.

Hoose - do you have easy access to cigarettes? When I dont have any to hand (ie I would have to physically drive the shops and buy them) I find the craving and anger passes before I am motivated enough to do anything about it.

If you have any in the house just get rid asap. I often had cigarettes in the house over the past 3 months and so it was too easy to turn to them when I was stressed. I also think it was a sign that I didnt really want to give up deep down. House is now free of all smoking related stuff and if the craving rears its ugly head there is nothing immediate I can do about it!

Anyhoo, dont give up giving up. One slip up is not a complete disaster, just get back on the wagon.

Good luck!

• hi

never claimed once that cigarettes help me-they dont.  I still automatically turn yo them at times of stress and anger. There is a point where knowing they dont help doesnt stop  you. Emotions can over-ride logic , especially anger and addiction related feelings.

I    do something similar Lisa. Probably tried it all. You arte right , one slip is not disaster and I no longer beat myself up for it .

well done Lisa

• So you smoked today, or yesterday, or whatever. Never mind. Tomorrow is another day - just don't smoke tomorrow. Then think about Wednesday when Wednesday arrives...
  • sounds a good approach Candy.
  • Addiction is a nasty, corrosive state to be in and it's immensely powerful. It can be overcome though - lots of people have done it.

What worked for me was to understand/accept that I was addicted - not dressing it up with rationalisation and excuses, but accepting the truth. If you smoke and can't give up you are a drug addict. The consequences of the addiction may be less than some other drugs (most illegal ones for example), but the process and state of mind is exactly the same. It's a scary, lonely place when you realise you can't imagine life if you carry on smoking, but equally you can't imagine life without it either.

Next I had to understand and believe that I could stop and that there is a life afterwards. It helped me alot to talk to people who'd done it successfully - they knew how I felt (they'd been where I was) and could help me. They also showed me by example that I could do it too - they had.

Finally I had to stop. Sounds simple but it isn't; what works best (for me) is what Candy says - a day at a time. I may have smoked yesterday and who knows what I'll do tomorrow, but today I commit not to smoke and will go to any lengths to not do it. If a day is too long then I won't smoke for the next hour, or 10 minutes or whatever. It's too mind-blowing to think about the rest of my life, or what I'll do in 3 months when I'm stressed or in 6 months on holiday. I can get my head round today though; my only job today is to get my head on the pillow without smoking.

• hoose lisha,the thing about the stress and angry is these are the times you had the help of your friend{the fag}theres no easy way to face these times,when you quit smoking its like losing a friend, and at stressfull times you need them,the hardest part in my giving up was facing these feelings without a fag i wont lie i became someone i didnt even know,instead of being strong i was a wreck.,,you always had help when you faced feelings of angry ,stress with fags,your true strenght will come when you face each emotion without fags,fall out with your fags like you would fall out with a bad friend, mourn them,and then get on with life without themimage