Options

anyone else kicking the weed?

Comments

• Options

Think Hoose should write a book on stopping !

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.
    Mark Twain

• Options

Or maybe a book on not stopping.....

• Options
    I as thinking of a 4 or 5 book series !
  • Options
    i am thinking of 10 -lol
  • Options

To paraphrase Thomas Edison - I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work.....

It's a continuing mystery to me working with active addicts/alcoholics why some 'get it' and quit, others understand logically that they should stop, but just can't bring themselves to do it. They keep this internal dialogue/battle going until they go mad or die (and I'm not joking). Very sad.

I've often thought, I wish I had a 'magic sentence' I could say that would make the penny drop and they could see the truth, but sadly I don't have one. Addiction is cunning, baffling and very powerful.

• Options

hi

RR

well did stop for 3 months and felt that the penny had dropped then I do not allow myself to bbe a foeld of internal battle because de[ression can set in with me. I keep the dialogue to a minimum too. "Battled" for a long time at one point.

anyway- i am not a quitter and i am trying something  that gets me accepting my desire to smoke and feel free to and choosing whether to at each given moment. You practice for a week where it does not matter if you slip then you introduce at a deeper level , the real consequences of taking a cigarette. A day in the practice and I have only cfhosen the odd one, chosing not to most of the time. Increasingly OK with the discomfort of withdrawal.

thanks for all the support here-it DOES HELP

x

• Options
    Nope certainly not a quiter, Most people would have given up trying by now !
  • Options

I'm trying to give up too- can't say its working at the moment but I'm going to keep on trying......

• Options

I gave up about 5 years ago  (although I also didn't smoke while pregnant or when my son was tiny) I've no idea why but it was incredibly easy for me, I was smoking around 25 Drum roll-ups a day and just decided one day to stop and never had a craving, any withdrawal symptoms or a moments doubt.

I just wish I could find a way to convince my other half he should quit.

• Options

keep at it Vikki -you will get there.

well done Seraphina -wish i could do thatimage

• Options
    You've been very quiet Hoose... Update ?
  • Options
    hi hoose, keep the positive vibe going,what ever happens with the cigs keep the head up,no battle was won in a day,remember it  took god seven days to create the world.,your patience with your battle is very courageous,thinking of youimage.
  • Options

thanks Lillian.image

keeping positive and not letting them dominate me  too much.  What is tough is not knowing why i make such a meal of this. In other aspects of myself i am quite disciplined and controlled. Such a waste of money, afford it or not.

• Options

did feel embarrassed about my smoking after my race on Sunday with all these good runners about. Smoking didnt belong there somehow. I only snook in one as a result.

trying to find new motivation now.

• Options

iI thought you had given up !!!!

trying to find new motivation now. How about... YOU ARE GOING TO DIE !

• Options
    mmm - most smokers know that it will happen as a result of smoking, sadly, it aint enough to stop many. My dad smoked til he was 60 and just stopped-wish that would happen right now to me.
  • Options

I mentioned it before but will say it again. Try this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoking-Today-without-Gaining-Weight/dp/0593055365/ref=pd_sim_b_5

for £6 what have you got to loose? In fact if you email me your address I will post you my copy for free. It has worked for me. And just in case you are wondering I am not the type to go for this self improvement stuff hypnosis type stuff usually.      

• Options

We're not talking about many smokers Hoose, We are talking about YOU

If you put as much effort into giving up, as you talking about giving up you would have stopped years back !

• Options

Hi Mr Guy- do actually have the book and tried it - didnt work though may try it again.

true DTS -can argue with that.

dealt with a lot but this has an hold on me like nothing else. Not good as I am health conscious and a runner at heart.

• Options
    Not good as I am health conscious and a runner at heart. Yeah right
  • Options
    soundss daft but totally true. Smoking is addiction and logic does not enter into it-if it did i would have stopped years ago.
  • Options

Yeah, Dave -- give the poor guy a break. Think of the really positive contribution Hoose makes.

After all, the Exchequer can do with every penny it can get during the recession, and the tax on fags is quite a few pennies. Not only does it cover Hoose's healthcare costs, but there's enough left over to help finance a futile middle eastern war or two. Of course it benefits the private sector: there's the shopkeeper and the fag factory worker. I expect dear old Tory friend Ken Clarke is feeling the pinch as well, these days, so I'll bet he's grateful. Besides, without Hoose, where would the writers of self-help books be? Drawing benefit, of course.

Then, as time goes on and the emphysema progresses it will provide a lttle extra bit of work for the guy who makes the disabled parking badges, the people who make and deliver the bottled oxygen and the folks who make the adult nappies because there's not enough puff anymore  to get to the loo in time. 

Then there's you and me, Dave. We benefit too.  Hoose'll probably be drawing a pension for ten years less than the rest of us, so more for you and me, eh?

So lay off the poor guy, he's doing a grand job.

• Options

Teehee

Love it

(ps Been taking the piss out of Hoose since we both said we were giving up 5 years ago)

• Options
    teh -really fucking funny isnt it?
  • Options
    For fuck's sake, what's wrong with you people? You're actually enjoying Hoose's suffering. Tossers.
  • Options

Of course we are !!!!

But then again he does manage to stick his head over the parapet often enough to get it shot at...

If he jut said right I'm giving up, and then did so, rather than the never ending cycle of giving up, then remorse then self pity..

Hoose has been giving up for the 6 years that I've been on the forum, So as I posted last week, He could have written half a dozen books about it

• Options

It's your problem, not mine. Every time you feel like lighting up you have a choice. Your decision, not anyone else's. .

BTW, I quit four and a half years ago. I watched my father die of emphysema. But, hey, it's your life, what's left of it.

• Options
    I gave up 1st Jan (3rd proper time), I used the Boots Inhalater; it was awesome, if anyone is struggling it might really help you out - I keep mine in my bag still, haven't used it since February. It's the grossest looking security blankie ever image
  • Options

This thread is about my struggle, I dont go on outside of it and i know there are others who have the same struggle. I know you stopped DTS and I am pleased about your successs.  If just saying and and doing it worked for me I would have stopped years ago. Of course I am wondering why you feel it is necessary to take the piss -to convince yourself that you have truly finished or what?

I dont stick my head out -you look for it.

Anway I will have a whinge and some more stops perhaps. I will support others too. There is nothing you can say that will do more than anger me slightly. Dont make me a victin =I am a fighter in ways you could not imagine.

I have a few idea of what is wrong with them Themo- but i will allow them to painfully discover for themselves.

• Options

thanks minorimage Well done!

yes it is my problem but I believe that sharing problems sometimes helps.