anyone else kicking the weed?

Comments

• haven't touched one for 5 years, So think it's safe to say that I have kicked it
  • eek, i just read back a bit in this post - what a load of meanies! why even read a post about giving up smoking if you don't have any empathy? pfft image
  • (p.s loads of chemists will prescribe you that stuff for free - it's already probably in this thread already somewhere...i was determined not to use anything like champix but i sort of cheated abit with the plastic tampon-looking thing image )
  • I wasn't taking the piss. I was presenting the reality. If you don't like that reality there's only one way you can change it.

• Minor -tried champix and inhalor and they were horrible. Have not a clue why it has been a long struggle for me , though i know I am not alone.

stay free wont you eh?

some here have the empathy of an house brick

• AD - I  and many others know the reality and still do it. Saw a fella with his legs off due to smoking-and guess what>
  • I admit I was taking the pi$$

and I admit I have been taking the pi$$ out of Hoose for years. Even more so since I gave up.

btw After 30 years as a smoker I decided that at 12 noon on a Friday I would smoke my last one, which I did, and haven't touched one since, No drugs, no surrogate just will power.

I will also admit to having invited Hoose to join me and the rest of the Scouse gang at social evenings, pi$$ ups, and even races, But all to no avail

• champix sounded like a terrible thing...maybe just because i work in the mental health field and recall that other one (now what was it called, zyban or summat?). i know a couple of people who went the completely non-chemical way and stopped using hypnotherapy, who knows it might be the right way for you.

addiction is massively personal, and complex, its just takign a while for you to find your way innit image

• Hoose, don't talk to me about empathy. I watched my father die of emphysema. I had to console my mother who woke up with his cold, dead body beside her. Do you have a partner, Hoose?

I've seen my brother in law struggle with alcoholism. Now there's a real addiction. He went from being a company director to practically being on the street. He's now off the booze and working as a shelf stacker in a supermarket. He still gets the demons in the middle of the night, but he's off the booze. Getting off tobacco is a doddle compared with that.

Empathy? I was a serial quitter, too. Eventually I realised that all the pills, potions, books, counselling sessions, hypnosis, needles in the ear etc. were not going to do the job for me. Sure they can help, but utimately I had to face the fact that I would have to put up for a few months with not lighting a fag when I thought I wanted one. 

I've looked back at some of your "quit smoking" posts, Hoose. One thing strikes me -- the number of quit aids the 'didn't work' for you. Also, there are loads of posts from people who just quit, no trouble at all. Well guess what?  You actually have to do some of the work. I found it hard. At times it was bloody hard, but nowhere near as hard having the demons of alcoholism screaming at you, the pain of limb amputation, of the grating gasp of end-stage emphysema.

• sounds like you could do with some therapy of your own there kid image why get so mad, its their life not yours ali.
  • minor wrote (see)
    its their life not yours ali.

... which is precisely the point I made originally. No therapy needed here, I can assure you, except for the occasional physio.

• The Hoose-Goer wrote (see)
     I am willing to do what it takes this time ,
    I refer the world to the first  post on this thread
  • ho hum, i suppose ive said all i wanted to. enjoy your old school forum bitching...its sooooooo late 90s image
  • 90's ?

Mere youth... Some of us have been around a lot longer than that.......

Time to go and start on tonights intake of meths

• AD

I  do empathise with what you have been through-really. What I couldnt quite get is you of all people basically having a go at someone like me who is struggling -though i guess anger is involved. I have early COPD and am shit scared of the future if I smoke. Had family memers cut down by the things. I could not have a go at anybody struggling with addiction, though may feel angry that they appear not to see. That is about me then isnt it?

dts - i am willing to do what it takes and if piss taking worked i would say bring it on.

• AD

I am not looking to be rescued and I HAVE WORKED DAMNED HARD AGAIN AND AGAIN. Empathy is about placing yourself in the shoes of another at a deep level, not simply experiencing tragedy in another.

-though i guess anger is involved.

I'm not angry, but are you? Are you angry enough to stay quit? Are you angry enough to do what it takes to be able to come back here in a year and say "Fuck you all, I did it" ? Are you?

The Hoose-Goer wrote (see)

I have early COPD and am shit scared of the future if I smoke.

So which are you more scared of? COPD or craving for a fag? It's like a credit card, Hoose. The earlier you pay it off, the less there is to pay.  Leave it long enough and they send round the debt collectors.

• yes I am with you there AD -I really know the score. I am angry at times yes -angry at the whole addiction not just on me but others. Tis like bad debt, you can say i will pay it off later and later- certainly have done that. With COPD -the sooner I stop the better. What didnt help was being told it was not as bad as first thought(did not do tests right) and Peak flow almost doubling. The addiction told me I was off the hook somehow-which is wrong.
  • It's always excuses with you, isn't it?  "I'll have another try". There is no try. There is only do or not do. Trying means setting yourself up for failure.  Trying means leaving an escape route for yourself to give in when it gets hard.

To be honest, I don't give a flying fuck whether you're with me or not. I don't give a toss what anyone thinks of me. In fact, I think would be really amusing if I could get you to hate my guts so much that you actually did quit permanently just to spite me.  You won't, though.  I don't think you have it in you.

• nice try -but i have gotta do it for me only. I dont make excuses apart from now is not the time but know it never will feel like the time.-as i say i know the score.

thanks for some of the imput anyway. Odd way of not giving a damn though.

I dont make excuses .

You just did:

What didnt help was being told it was not as bad as first thought(did not do tests right) and Peak flow almost doubling. The addiction told me I was off the hook somehow-which is wrong.
  • i said "the addiction"  - I dont view it as me more as an intruder that started at 9 years old. I am responsible because insofar it is inside me.

• No, it's an excuse. Do you think others haven't experienced the same thing? You found it hard. You caved in. Any explanation given is an excuse. Until you accept that you have responsibility for your own actions you are just going to go round the same old merry-go-round. You can blame addiction for how hard it can be at times, but not for caving in to it. It's *you* who puts the bloody thing in your mouth and lights it.
  • of course others have found it hard, some harder than others. I have not caved in completely as I have stopped many times. My best stop was 3 monthsand it was painless. No good will come of beating oneself up fo slippinmg.
    . I have not caved in completely as I have stopped many times.

Every time you light up you cave in. There is no try.

My best stop was 3 monthsand it was painless.

So what are you waiting for, Hoose? Some magic spell that takes the difficulty away? Some terrific new psychological insight that explains why it's been so hard for you and enables you to conquer it? It ain't going to happen.

No good will come of beating oneself up fo slippinmg.

I beg to differ. I think you do need, right now,  to beat yourself up over past failures, to accept your complete and utter stupidity in starting again after 3 months. Resolve not to do it again. Use the anger.

• I did beat myself up after the 3 months and that is a place I dont want to visit again. Nearly caved in completely.

Not waiting for anything and I know I have gotta instigate things. I have experienced painful stops too-you cannot be sure. If guilty of anything it is for a time waiting for some "light" .but not now.

You cannot bbe shamed into stopping.

• Yup. Thought so. Using it as an excuse instead of as a tool.

Well, Hoose, I wish you luck, but I really don't think that, with your current attitude, you have a hope of succeeding.  By the way, your last statement is absolutely wrong.

• my last statement was wrong it should have read "I cannot be shamed into stopping" -that is true.

anyway it is interesting to get a view of things very different from mine. My attitude comes from a lot of experience, education and self knowledge. Unless there is a real world that me and others likely are too stupid to see, I will stick with it until my experience tells me otherwise. 

• And where, exactly, has this got you? Umpteen failed quits? Yep, that's a lot of experience.

Do enlighten us. What are you doing differently this time than with all the previous failures? What have you really learned from them?