Amsterdam Marathon 2009

I'm thinking abut entering this one..

Anyone thinking the same?  If so recommendations for hotels would be really helpful, I've not travelled far for a race before and am anxious about a hotel that caters for runners (early breakfast etc).  Hoping to get somewhere booked quickly for quite cheap so I can focus on running the thing!

Would be good to have your thoughts

Tom 

Comments

• Not doing it this year but was there in 2008.  Stayed at the Novotel - it's not right in the city centre but is a great location for the race and expo - it's only two stops on the train to the start line and they did have a marathon breakfast in the morning, although I didn't have it so couldn't tell you what was on offer.  Lots of other marathoners stayed there as well.
  • Hi KIWI DAVE.Where do you come from?
  • Thanks Kiwi.

I will look up the hotel.  Can you tell me where the expo is held and on what days prior to race day?

Cheers

• The expo is is held in a hall very close to the Olympic Stadium, which is where the start and finish is.  In 2008 the Expo was on Friday/Saturday/Sunday - they have it on Sunday as well because the half marathon is on Sunday afternoon.  Marathoners can still collect their packs on Sunday as well - it's so close to the start line that if you arrive a little earlier on the Sunday you can easily go to the Expo and get your start number and then go straight to the Olympic Stadium to start the race.  If you go to the Amsterdam Marathon website and then go to Extra Activities on the left and then Marathon Market, it has all the info about the 2008 Expo.

kiwiscanfly - I'm from Cambridge in NZ but have been in London close to 6 years.  Have seen you around these forums a bit - you doing Edinburgh this year?  So far I've locked in Edinburgh and Berlin.  Where are you from??

• Hi Kiwidave.

I come from Wanganui.But I have lived in Somerset for nearly 22 years.My sister lives in Matamata,I don't think that is too far from Cambridge.Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not doing Edinburgh this year.I have lined up 4 for this year.I am doing the FLM,folowed by the Riga Marathon,then Berlin.I am also hoping to run for N.Z. at the World Masters Champs in the marathon there which is in Finland if I can bet selected.I think 4 marathons in one year should be enough.What do you think of London?also what have you got lined up this year.We may bump into each other somewhere along the line!

• May bump into you in Berlin - I'm just going there for the weekend, arriving Sat morning and flying back to London on Sunday straight after the race.  Also doing Sussex Beacon Half in Brighton, Silverstone Half.  See my race list here. Fingers crossed that I will also get in the ballot for NYC marathon.

Loving London - keep on saying I'll go home next year, but always end up staying here!  You're right about Matamata - only about 20 mins down the road from Cambridge.

• I'm planning on running the Amsterdam Marathon this year Tom, but was waiting to book accommodation until I know I've got a place in the starting line up (and with that presuming it's not as difficult to secure one as London).

I've done a bit of research though, and a good prospect on the accommodation front (if you check out tripadvisor.co.uk) is the Zandbergen. Looks easily walkable to the start line - but don't book the family room, I've bagsied that for the terrible twosome I will inevitably be bringing with myself and the lovely wife.

I've stayed overnight before races before, but have never done one so large (or indeed a full marathon) so I'm with you on trying to get things as relaxed as possible before hand.

BTW - looks like registration opens tomorrow.

• Oh thanks for the tips there Clark1e.  Glad to see you've got company with you for the race!!

I really want to run another marathon sometime soon.  I had my head set on running London 2010 but just read on the forums that it is 5year rejections get the th year guaranteed and not 5th year guaranteed.  so pretty gutted about that right now.. image   so amsterdam marathon might be the way to go.

i'll keep an eye out on the registration, thanks for the heads up.  have you done a foreign race before

• Registration is easy - it's first come first served but takes a few months to sell out, so you won't have any problems.
  • Hi again Kiwidave.Where are you staying in Berlin?

P.S. see we beat the Aussies in the first cricket one dayer.Wonderful!!!

• I've not....... closest I've come I guess is the Cardiff Half marathon last year, not that there's anything alien about the welsh capital, but I always promised myself that when I do "my" pre-40th marathon it'd be a good 'un ......... just in case its a one off. Amsterdam is a great city anyway and the timing fits with a significant birthday for the wife so there's a two birds, one stone mentality. Plus there's a little kids race before hand and I know there's plenty which will keep them occupied around and about.

Its one of those where it all kinda fits.

• Hi kiwiscanfly - I'm staying at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

Was a great result in the cricket - we left it to the last ball but we got there in the end!

• We are staying at the Agon am Alexanderplatz.I watched the match on sky before my race on Sunday and saw the highlights later on.Along with the Rugby League world Cup final (which I am still celebrating-those guys should be given the freedom of New Zealand for that) we have the upper hand.Funny how the rugby league team can do what the All Blacks can't.

I notice on fetch you have done London.I am doing it for the first time this year ,How flat is it?

• London is pretty flat! well done for getting in
  • Crikey TOM,that was a quick reply.Good course for a PB then?
  • hmm i wouldn't say that.. too many people, although if you get a good starting pen then you should fly through!! wish i was running, it is a fantastic event to be a part of
  • I've got a championship start so that should help a bit.Really looking forward to it.
  • I agree with Tom - London has the potential to be a fast course as it is reasonably flat, but the crowds mean you're jostling for position for the first few miles.
  • There are 1500 of us starting at the blue zone start so that should not be too bad
  • I have done the last 2 Amsterdam Marathons and stayed at the Golden Tulip Appolo hotel.The hotel is very nice and reasonably priced with the added bonus of being on the actual route so if you have family or friends staying with you they can watch you pass twice then walk the short walk to see you finish at The Amsterdam staduim.I found it at www.[b]hotels.nl.[/b]
  • Have done the half in 2005, 2006 and the full it in 2007 (my first). Entered full again in 2008 but didn't start due to lack of training. However I swapped to the half when I collected my number/chip and got a PB.  Plan to go back for the full again this year.
  • OK, I've just signed up for Amsterdam as well!

Just did the Rotterdam marathon earlier this month, and did the Amsterdam half last year (I live in Brussels so they are pretty local for me).

After the pain of Rotterdam (my first mara) I'm still not quite sure why I've signed up to do it all over again this Autumn - perhaps it's the finish in the stadium at Amsterdam, I really like the idea of running into the stadium at the end, and past the crowds in the stands. Even for the 1/2 it was a great end to the race!

• I ran the Brussels 20K yesterday and was disappointed with my result - 5 mins off my easy target and 11 mins off my challenging target. Lots of blame factors but the biggest was the fact that I didn't make these real goals, so I didn't do real training for them.

Well, I've just set myself a real goal and have signed up for Amsterdam Marathon 2009, sub 3h15. It's only my 3rd marathon, with my two previous being Cologne 2007 (3h39) and Paris 2009 (3h23).

Hope to see and hear more from you soon. image

• Signed up, this will be my 3rd Marathon also, did paris last year in 3h52 and rome in march in 4h18.  Totatly hit the wall in rome and want to make amense.  Will be going for a sub 3h45 finish.  Training in the summer may actually kill me though.  Is there many Brits who do this?

• I'm looking at signing up having just completed Edinburgh on Sunday. Flights look ok, just wondering how expensive the hotels are?

• Hotels in Amsterdam can cost anywhere between €80 to €480 a night.  Depends what you are after.  There'll even be cheaper options too, particularly if you are prepared to stay outside the city and catch a train in on the morning.  Generally speaking, €100-€130 will get you a decent place to stay for a night, but these are all very subjective terms.... you might be 'born to the manor house' and this could be slumming it image
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Having stayed in a dump the first year I opted for an Ibis in subsequent years. Expensive for 1 person as it per room, but it is clean, decent sized room and convenient for tram/metro
  • Hi Tricky.  Thought I would drop in as I am signed up for this one too.  Appeals because of the stadium finish, its flat and also young Master NGUG (8 yrs) wants to do the 1km race.  Funding is the main issue as to whether we will be getting there but am saving my Tescos airmiles so hope to utilise them.  Accommodation can be a bit hit and miss from my memories of going to Amsterdam before but TripAdvisor always v.helpful to warn of the real dives.  Need to book something soon so I have something to aim for.
  • Great to see you here NGUG.  I didn't realise there was a kiddies race. My youngest Nicole has started doing some running with me - last week I took her on a hot sunday afternoon 6.7K run - her longest to date. She was whacked at the end but she has her mother's determined mindset.  I see their is a 7.5Km race on the same day that might be interesting for. However, the Terms and Conditions are ambiguous.  All the say about age is "All participants in the Marathon must be 18 years or above".

This could have two meanings: 1) All other race distances have no age limit, OR 2) The Marathon Event means all races on the day, except the one specifically designated for kids up to the age of 13. So this must mean anyone in the 14-17 age group are excluded?

Anyone raced Amsterdam before and came remember seeing youg 'uns running? Cheers.

• Hello NGUG and Tricky i ahve had to pull out of dublin due to work commitments so i think ill be doing this one, go on twist my arm!!!! reckon ill be flying in on the saturday and flying out sunday night or monday morning again because of work.

Hello to everyone else here too- if i sign up it; will be my second marathon, did paris in april in 4:23