Amsterdam Marathon 2009

Comments

• Neil Mac, cheers for the info, race number is 1522. Think the game will be quite likely as I don't expect to get too much sleep on Saturday night so could be a good distraction.

Just curious to see what people are doing for their transport while in Amsterdam, just making use of the discount card which came with the race info?

Michael

• As I need to get to and from Schiphol and and am there for 4  days I am going to get one of the travel passes that was mentioned by Doolyg on page 9
  • Same here, the 72 hour pass looks like the best bet for the long weekenders. There's a bus from the airport that serves most hotels (connexions or similar) - a bit pricey at 22.5 Euros return, but I don't fancy faffing around changing from train to tram with the terrible twosome in tow.

• Clark1e - don't worry, you can have a glass of vino the night before, it's no gonnae kill you! Maybe just stick to half a bottle tonight though heh heh.image Yeah, weather looks ideal. Good luck takin yer kids wi ye!!

Michael Mac - nae worries, game ko's at 6.45pm, I wouldnt be anywhere near by pit at that time anyway personally, so it's the fitba all the way. As for travel, I'm like Muskers above,  Me& my girlfriend are there from Sat am till Tuesday mid afternoon, so I'm getting on of the 72hour discount jobs.

My bruv did Chicago marathon yesterday (he lives in US), got round in 3.29.30. Well done him. He's had some serious injuries/operations down the years on his knee, playing rugby, was told last year not to run again but he's gradually built himself back again. Top man. A life wioot running, aye, ah dinnae think so - 'yer a lang time deid' as ma grannie used to say.

Cheers all. Keep on posting, enjoyin the chat.

• Did Royal Parks half yesterday in 1:58 as planned. Diffiuclt to imagine doing the same again but the pace felt fairly comfortable. Still no race pack - postal deliveries in South West London remain completely haphazard. Hopefully if it doesn't come they'll still let me run!

• Dooda, just take yer passport along if you don't get yer racepack, sure you'll be fine.
  • Thnaks Neil, I'm sure I will be too.
  • Passport and if you have your confirmation email, should be fine. 

How's everyone doing today?  Am very jet lagged image  Hope I can catch some sleep at some point... 

• Hello everyone - I'm running on Sunday - Eurostaring over from London on Friday via lunch in Brussels. It's my first marathon so I am looking forward to a nice flat course.... i live in the hily bit of north london so that'll make a welcome change.

I got a reccomendation for a good italian restaurant in Amsterdam from my friends who only recently moved away ... not sure how close to the vondelpark it is 

http://www.yamyam.nl/

• Enjoying this tapering business. Felt very weird calling a halt after a couple of miles last night (not that the knees objected), a swift four miler this lunch time and then just a bit of jogging when I reach the 'dam tomorrow should pretty much be me done before the race. Hurrah.

This'll probably be the last post before heading off, so good luck everyone - here's to dry weather and light winds.  

Hope you get your head down H., and the first glass after crossing the finish line will be all the sweeter for this infernal abstinence Neil Mac.

Enjoy.

• Hello all,

I've been lurking here but thought I'd say hello and good luck to everyone for Sunday.  It's my first marathon so I'm really excited.  I'm doing a three-miler this evening and then putting my feet up.  What a great feeling! 

I sometimes get a bit of a sore knee when running.  I can't take ibruprofen because I'm slightly asthmatic.  What's a good alternative for stashing in my belt?  Any recommendations?

Stewart - I'd also heard about Yam Yam and am booked in there for a giant bowl of pasta and a thimble of red wine on Saturday night so it's good to hear you've heard good things too.  

Best of luck and enjoy Amsterdam.

Sally

• Stewart horne wrote (see)

Hello everyone - I'm running on Sunday - Eurostaring over from London on Friday via lunch in Brussels. It's my first marathon so I am looking forward to a nice flat course.... i live in the hily bit of north london so that'll make a welcome change.

I got a reccomendation for a good italian restaurant in Amsterdam from my friends who only recently moved away ... not sure how close to the vondelpark it is 

http://www.yamyam.nl/

Eurostar - deff the way to travel if you live doon there Stewart! I lived in London for 7years, the Eurostar's the bizz isn't it? Actually, I was doon there 3 weeks ago, and it coincided with my last 22miler. My mate who I was staying with lives in Arnos Grove - jeezuz, it was torture, there's mare hill there than up here in Edinburgh - in fact, make that the Highlands lol! It was torture. Kinda forgot how hilly that area is, though did quite a bit of running round Trent Park which was good. Will try that YamYam I think.

Orra best wi the run, good one to choose as flat as a pancake.

Cheers.

Sally Cinnamon wrote (see)

Hello all,

I've been lurking here but thought I'd say hello and good luck to everyone for Sunday.  It's my first marathon so I'm really excited.  I'm doing a three-miler this evening and then putting my feet up.  What a great feeling! 

I sometimes get a bit of a sore knee when running.  I can't take ibruprofen because I'm slightly asthmatic.  What's a good alternative for stashing in my belt?  Any recommendations?

Stewart - I'd also heard about Yam Yam and am booked in there for a giant bowl of pasta and a thimble of red wine on Saturday night so it's good to hear you've heard good things too.  

Sally

Sally Cinnamon - 1st off, top name, great song by one of ma fave bands ever, the Stone Roses!image

Sare knee? Just take another painkiller, like asprin etc. Can you rub Ibuprofen gel onto it? If so, do that instead. I use stuff called DEEP RELIEF and it's really good. I've a sare knee just now tae, but it's really helping. I didnae know that asthmatics cannae take Ibuprofen, whit a total joe strummer that is for you. Booo tae that. Might see you in YAmYAm Saturday night,image I'm a big tall lanky Scottish bloke, wi ma girlfriend, blonde, but about 1½ feet shorter than me lol!

I did my last 4miles at lunch the day. That's it now, feet up and let dodgy achilles and knee recover before Sunday. Will be posting up till Friday night.

Orra best tae everyone!!

NM

PS, cannae get that Roses song oot ma heid now!image

• Swim this morning at 5am (still can't sleep!).  That's probably it now until sunday....  I'm also singing Sally Cinnamon now image
  • Hi all, I am looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday. Well, I will be in Pirate gear at the expo so feel free to stop me and say hi.

Have a great day - forecast looks good for running. http://www.weeronline.nl/Europa/Nederland/Amsterdam/4058223  

• Sally Cinnamon wrote (see)

Hello all,

Sally

My race pack arrived this morning along with my contact lenses! Only my son's oyster card to come now and Royal Mail can go hang! I'm slightly asthmatic as well but I still take Ibuprofen when I need it - which almost certainly includes a heavy dose on Sunday. That's a hell of a map they send you - I like the look of that long river bit, it will be just like training next the Thames. Good luck to everyone, it will be great!
  • I'm travelling out with my 16 year old son and 78 year old father so walking around the red light district should be a laugh!!!

• Hi to all!! Mmm would just like to ask any one running the half?  wishing everyone good luck for sunday for the full marathon.. My husband is running the full marathon im running the half due to family upset. Have ran New york,London Marathon so really understand all the hard work.. Some times sadly life comes along and bites hard..  Well anyone running the half or has done so please email me with info as wanting to chuck towel in as 2pm seems a very long day before you run!! Plus my training has gone mmm should we say a little hayward!!!! Thanks peeps any help and to push me forward more then welcome!!! T xx
  • H. Cop a load (rank vid, great tune!)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnMiNJL3utw"></a>

Bedders: Surely you mean come up to you and give you an 'Aaaargh!' seein how yer a pirate!image Aye, maybe not eh?image

Dooda, they're getting there slowly but surely! Aye, should be, ahem, interesting indeed, prob best avoided for embarrassments sake heh heh.

Tina, ma girlfriend was gonna do the ½ but the late KO put her off. Good luck with it. Wont ask whats happened to upset your plans, but if you do it you'll feel so much better than if you don't. GOOD LUCK!!!

• How's everyone today then? My dodgy left achilles/knee feel good today, the taper down must be working, plus doing nothing from now till Sunday (OK, may do a little, very slooooow 2m tomoz) will see that's it's all fine I'm sure.

Hope all is well with fellow Dam runners!image

Cheers.

• Dooda - just keep your dad away from the coffee shops or he might end up running the marathon on Sunday as wellimage But the sex museum on Damrak near Central Station might keep him occupied for a while image

Good luck to all who are running in either event. I shall be cheering you all on from somewhere around the Start/Finish area. The number 16 tram will take to from Amsterdam Centraal railway station down to the Olympic Stadium. For others see this map

• Oh there doesn't appear to be any free transport from what I can see.

Just a word of advice from someone who has been working here for the last 5 weeks. The oreder of priority is - trams, cars, bikes, bikes cars, trams. Notice there is no mention of pedestrians and is because they don't have many rights. If you have never been here before just be aware that the tram stops can be straight out in the path of the bike path and the first you know of it is when they hit you image

Pedestrian crossings can be the same sometimes. Always look around you until you get the safety of the footpath and then still look out for the one who cuts the corner because the lights are red for them but green for you!!!!

Apart from that enjoy the weekend, I know I did in Paris April this year. If it is your first marathon then the only hills here are the canal bridges image Oh but don't fall in the canals though, why? just ask a surfer ! image

• Cheers DollyG. We got travel advice for race day on the website and in the racepacks, looks like a train to one bit then a tram the rest of way, pretty easy really.

I've been to A'dam before, agree, you gotta keep yer wits about ye wi trams and bikes everywhereimage. Mind yer green cross code kids!! Great place though. Went to the red light on my 1st visit there in 1988, never made a point of going back. Find it all a bit sad really. I'm a puritanical leftie though so that probably accounts for my views on that.

Wetaher's looking good for Sunday tae. Cannae wait now!!

• Hi H - sorry I didn't reply earlier i have only just had the time to read the forum. I moved out of the hotel I was in and therefore lost my internet connection until next week, sneaking a peak from work.....image

I am now living in one of the old diamond cutter houses in De Pijp area, near the Amstel. The De Monde taco shop is around the corner.  I am looking for someone to train with but as I work out at Schiphol-Rijk it is not easy to get back early enough. Where do you train.

Update on the trams - as has been said earlier the tram routes are affected in and around the stadium. It is not far to walk if you take the Metro plus if it is anything like Paris was then everything will be packed anyway and that is not the best start to a long day.

• Right, I'm off soon - one last run tonight - the Weston Prom 5miler which I would like to do to be in with a chance of getting a hoodie or something similar for doing all 9 races in the series.

Not sure what we are doing for food/ drinks before/ after but H are you still on the same mobile as last year? I will put my mobile up on my profile.

Musky

• Hi to Neil

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, put it this way I'm packing my trainers...

Que sera!

Good luck to you and all x

• my forum has frozen up at 17.11, time of my last message, but thanks and good luck to those who have messaged me, see you there!
  • .....or are you all on your way......?!   Doh! 

(Travelling tomorrow)

• Nah, I'm still here! Travelling on Saturday morning, 7.10 flight fae Edinburgh, bit early but least i'll get a good nights kip on Saturday night!

Cheers!

• I'm still here! Travelling on Saturday morning as well form Gatwick. I hope to sleep well on Saturday night, marathon nerves permitting. At least we shouldn't have to get up too early. New York was the worst - up at 4am to get the bus out to Staten Island to wait for hours in a freezing park. Still adrenalin always seems to overcome lack of sleep in my experience.