Options

Cateran Trail Ultra 88K

Comments

• Options

Hello folks,

The mad one (Karen) is trying to convince me to do this one! image  I need to dig out the application form methinks. image

• Options
    Go on go on go on Soph, you'll love it image
  • Options

Looking over the route on the map what do you recommend in terms of running shoes? Is it better to plan trail shoes or normal running shoes? 

• Options

Trail shoes Raymond. There's a few miles tarmac but not very much and the rest is either forest, bog, heather, grass or rough track . Did 40 miles on it on Saturday from Spittal Glenshee to 3 miles before Blairgowrie and back again. Encounters with the wildlife out there was so funny. image

• Options

If is stays wet then road shoes would be a big mistake. With trail shoes at least you get rid of the water faster,

You could have your support meet you with road shoes for the 2 longer road sessions.

I plan to wear roclites 315 with seal skin socks and joe dana gaiters.

• Options

great thanks. I was thinking my trail shoes would be best.

Big weekend of training here in Dublin over what local hills I have close by plus the sand dunes to test the legs! 

• Options

What are people thinking is a realistic time to complete the course?

I can pace myself easily enough through a normal marathon however as this is my first ultra-marathon what do people view is a sensible pace to target?

I just want to finish not do anything spectacular. 

• Options
    Really hard to say Raymond and i think there will be a huge gap between front runners and those at the back. Totally depends what the weather has been like and how the boggy sections are and how fast you are and if you're fine with the off road. I'm not a fast runner and that 40 miles section took 10 hours which i was really happy with, it was raining, very boggy in parts and the out and back was 5200ft climbs over Glenshee twice. Loon dod and the other sweeper ran the whole route in October last year to check out cut off times and i ran 41 miles with them then as well, i can't remember time they did whole route in but i think it was near 13 hours. We stopped along the whole route then to meet race organiser and check times and route.      
  • Options

Its the first race on this 55 mile route.

The race last year was over 66 or something like that and weather was horrible.

We ran this new route  late in the year to test the cut offs and make sure route markings were ok, started and finished in the dark with snow falling, we did not push the pace and took a few breaks.

From memory we finished just inside 14 hours.

I think knowing the route I could do sub 12 without too much trouble and on a good day between 10 and 11 , winning time this first year will depend on how entries go but if we get some of the big boys I guess sub 9.

As sweeper I guess I will be running close to the cut offs so will be a long day for me.

• Options
    Cross post, you not supposed to be working , oops so am I image
  • Options

cheers thanks for advice

• Options
    Loon Dod wrote (see)

As sweeper I guess I will be running close to the cut offs so will be a long day for me.

opps image - promise to make sure the support crew have plenty of sweeper treats image

Not posted for a while, wish I could say too busy running but work just gets in the way! I have been practising my falling over skills though on a regular basis - is removal of tree roots a reasonable request?

• Options

Don't you listen to him Bo-bo and keep him out as long as possible, he needs time on his feet anywayimage. Oh dear, you had a tree root tumble? There are 2 forest sections with the tree roots exposed, one in the first half, the 2nd 45 miles in. 

• Options
    Karen I have tree root tumbles where there are no trees image  45 miles in is a dead cert LOL!
  • Options
    I'm a tumbler too Bo-bo. I just bouncy though and not got very far to fallimage
  • Options
    Its all gone quite in here image my last weekend of long runs planned for this weekend and then some rest.  NOt long now image
  • Options
    We're all busy training MF7. image. I had the highland fling last Saturday, 10k on Thursday night and got the 23 mile race on this route on Saturday and possibly a hill race on wednesday night. There aren't enough days in the week!!
  • Options
    phew Karen makes me feel tired just reading your schedule image
  • Options

....some great runs around the cliff's near Dublin and the on the beach this weekend. Hoping the beach runs will help me with any boggy parts of the run (that is the theory anyway!) .

Managed to celebrate St Johnstone's league victory at the weekend as well which gave me some practise for the beers after the 55 miles.

How is everybody else feeling? 

• Options

Looking forward to seeing everyone the race now has 20 starters which is great.

I had a good run at the Fling and at Kintyre way so well ready for this now.

Raymond it will be wet for sure, very boggy in places,

Guinness will be drunk as pre race fuel and at the after party .

Will be good to get an update on part of the route from those doing the 23 miler this weekend. 

• Options

LOL, yeah the beach stuff will help i'm sure Raymond, builds up the calfs for the boggy stuff.

Let you all know if any new surprises on the route after Saturday. I'm planning on running back to Blairgowrie again after the race so i'll race the race then take it slow going back, in the dark, on my tod, with bears and scary stuff image. Ok it won't be dark but.............

• Options
    gulp - just looked at the diary ....imageimage time to start stockpiling jelly babies!
  • Options

1 X box of flapjacks

1 x box of brownies

£3 for the 2 sorted.

Followed by fish and chips and Guinness.

You got to luv Ultra Running.image

• Options
    Oh boy oh boy, lots of rain day before and rained in run and never seen the route SO muddy. I only managed the race itself and no run back. Last year doing the 23 miler i got sunburn, not yesterday!! You lot going to have such funimage
  • Options

.........as you all appear experienced ultra trail runners any hints or tips regarding foot gear for the boggy land.

I read somewhere about somebody planning to wear some sort of gaiters to give some extra protection from the mud and water.

.....any thoughts? 

• Options
    I'd say trail shoes for sure raymond, you've probably got about 10 miles tarmac in this one made up of a few miles here and there along the route but the majority trail, grass, boggy heather, long grass etc. I wore sealskinz socks on saturdays race just to keep my feet dry and mud free. 
  • Options
    OMG looks like we are in for some real Scotish weather image  I dont mind a bit of rain (at L2B last year it rained for approx 12 hours)  but could do without 26mph winds image
  • Options

weather for saturday

Weather not too bad MF7 and it's been glorious yesterday and same today. Light rain it says, very light rain. You get bits of shelter in sections round the route and my sunny smiling faceimage

• Options
    oooh thanks Karen I like your weather forecast image its much better than the BBC.  I will pack some suncream and sunglasses for when we meet you on route image
  • Options

That's the way you're supposed to do it MF7, check lots of weather forecasts and pick the one that sounds the best. I've packed gloves AND suncream!!