Wednesday 14th January

Let a good thing slip away.

Morning folks. Late start again!

Yesterday's lyrics were Milkshake by Kelis.

What: 8m steady d&d (bit slippy underfoot and very foggy here) / 9-10m steady (or possibly a little harder depending on legs) later - this day is rapidly turning into one of those where time is at a premium so it will probably have to wait until after work.
Why: Base - Wednesday style.

Will read back shortly, but in between, have a good day folks.

Comments

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

PH - I'm getting a lot more mileage out of my trainers over the last few months and have noticed no difference. I've got a pair of cushioned on 733m, and 2 pairs of racers on 567 and 475. All still feel fine to me, so you may get a while longer out of them. I guess it depends on your running style.

Mike - HR played up, or HRM played up?

• morning

v busy week so quick scan through. nice run hilly at milborne, coming into form at the right time!

AF - just sending you some extra swear words and sympathy
    a good physio is worth hanging on to

mine doubles as an excellent sports masseur, i go every few weeks which means she understands my peculiarities pretty well and i can get bits and bobs of physio advice when i'm just in for a massage

hi to sporta! how's it going? think you had a stress fracture ?

late meeting yesterday meant no club session again, i wanted to start the tuesday nights after christmas but events are conspiring to keep me away. anyway did 7 miles steady in the middle of the day instead.
    probably be the 5 mile loop today, bit icy first thing again so not been yet

i know the lyrics and yesterday's - 2 in a row, nice. thought BR might have popped up with the lonesome death of hattie carroll seeing william zantzinger's obit and then i might have known one of his more obscure offerings image

• Morning,

Seems quiet on here today.

And not much to add from me:

What: rest
    Why: that's what I do on Wednesdays
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: last Wednesday

Have a good day.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    My my it is quiet, confess to not starting the thread after my run this morning as I had an early meeting at work.

What: 20.2 miles starting at 4.39AM d&d (boy was it a little icy this morning) Gobi O clock is well and truely back.
    ?? lunchtime but I need to go to the bank so may run there.
    Circuits - I coach but may join in tonight
    Why: Wednesdays are midweek medium day.
    Last hard: Today
    Last rest: 5th December 2008
    Lyrics: yes
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Morning all

tipp topp I can get your lyrics, keep em coming!

what: 5 miles easy with ipod later

why: for chilling reasons

last hard: session last night

last easy: last friday

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • <crawls out from under stone, blinks myopically in winter sunlight, surreptitiously searches for cat protection league monitors, tries new clink swearwords, no joy; reverts to traditional ones and launches cat into orbit...>

MikeS:  Thanks for the link.  fizz1 reckoned I'm bio-mechanically sound, so I can't be.  fizz2 reckons there's some hip/pelvic weakness.  I ran for 400+ days in 2006/7 and covered over 4000 miles with no problems so maybe I'm just getting to the age where I can't do the mileage and need to "train smarter".

<...crawls back under stone>

• Hi All

AF: Good luck with the new physio, I to started to suffer from injuries about 2 years ago in my late 40's after years of being injury free. Have since reduced my mileage but done more in terms of speedwork and have got faster. so its not all doom and gloom

PH/TT Strange I get 500 -600 out of some trainers and 300 out of others of the same brand and model, damned if I know why

What: Nowt
    Why: Taper and have just spent 5 hours on a plane but as I got upgraded to first class it wasn't exactly cramped!
    Last Hard: Getting to the airport this morning
    Last Rest: Today

Have a ball

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

usually aim to get 600+ out of my trainers but like DD I sometimes only get 2-300...

Thought it was decidedly temperate at 4.40am this morning...no frost on the way to the station.
    Lyric, yes think so.
    Didnt go to club last night: eldest had turned her ankle at school so seemed a bit pointless driving to the club on my own to run, when I can do speedwork from home. ended up doing 6xappx half miles fast with half miles steady, plus w/u & w/d.
    7miles in 48.xx
    Today - missed a lunchtime run (beer) , so will try and squeeze 5 or 6 easy in tonight.

Cheers

• Afternoon All

What: A longer run probably either 13 or 15
    Why:Midweek Longish Run
    Last hard: Not really doing hard at the moment
    Last rest: 15days

Have a good day all

• Good afternoon from Dubai!

What: Maybe a short jog later on the Palm
    Why: Taper and have just spent 6 hours on a plane - we also got an upgrade but only up to Premium Economy...
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Last two days
    Lyrics: yes, finally, yes!

SD

• Afternoon!

Just quickly logging on. Did a nice run yesterday, where I felt tired and sluggish in the first half, and managed to pick up nicely during the second half. The uphill-downhill course may have helped, but I think I just needed to get warmed up properly.

Miles on shoes: could variation come from some shoes being a bit "stale"? If they've been sitting in a warehouse/shop for quite a few months before you buy them vs getting them fresh from the factory?

What: club night, will take the easy option
    Why: daily running but relatively low mileage and all easy runs for a few weeks. If that works, I will start to increase miles or intensity of some sessions, for another few weeks etc. I feel better when I run every day. Addicted to endorphines? Moi? image
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: no
  • Afternoon all,

Hope all are ok - haven't been around much the last few days - our office move has taken place so time is a bit more limited than it used to be.

Yesterdays session at the track went quite well, 11x400 w 400 recoveries. Missed the first lap time as forgot to start the watch! It got a bit blustery on the back straight in the middle of the session but am finding it a little easier to judge pace than the 3 or 4 second variations that I used to get, was aiming for 1:28 so average is ok but perhaps I should work a little harder in the middle of the session. Still went off a little too fast at the start though.

1:26 162
    1:30 163
    1:27 163
    1:28 164
    1:29 162
    1:29 164
    1:31 162
    1:31 162

Now sat here waiting for the gas man to come and fix my boiler. I wish they would give us a more accurate time than "Any time between mid-day and six!". If I told my clients that I would get the sack!

RIght, I'm off to have a read back and discovery why AF is kicking cats around the room....

What: 10 miles steady later
    Why: It's Wednesday
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Monday
    Lyrics: Nope

Have a great afternoon.

• Afternoon folks.

AF - persevere! You'll get there.

Trainers - the mileage I get from different types varies hugely...always try to get at least 5-600 miles out of my 'everyday' shoes (I've currently got 5 or 6 pairs of Brooks Adrenalines and Nike Structure Triax on the go, with 400 up to about 630 miles). I get far less out of lightweight trainers, usually 250-350 miles...I tend to wear through the toes (particularly various models of Asics DS Trainer) with the quicker running I usually do in them. My Nike Zoom Elites are lasting better though.

Since I'm seeing about my ankle this evening I just played it safe at lunchtime...did an easy 10min on the tready to warm up, followed by a long session of core work...loads of plank variations, crunches etc., then a smattering of press-ups and tricep dips, then finally a looong stretching routine. Think I'll be sore in some different places from usual tomorrow.

Tonight I'm planning to coach the club track session, then do a few laps of light jogging to warm the ankle up before seeing the physio. Fingers remain crossed that it's something I can work on while continuing to run...

TTFN.   
  • What: 5miles up and down a big hill.

Why: Strengthening.

It was still cold at lunchtime, but at least its not raining today. Unfortunately my running trousers have developed a rather serious seam failure and I need some new ones so I just hope it stays dry...

Have a good day all

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Afternoon

What: A nice steady 8 miles along the canal enjoying a bit of banter with two old fellows on bikes
    Why: recovery from last nights hill reps

AF - if you don't think you need the biomechanical assessment, perhaps what you really need is one of these. image

http://www.mobilitypeople.co.uk/images/MPSZS.jpg

• Podro - aww poor AF!!

Good session there FINgers.

What: Managed to squeeze in 6 miles flat and then had a pleasant day at the beach with gdaughters.

Good running everyone.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

hello.

What: 4.3 miles on one of my hilly routes
    Why: because
    Last hard: the  long uphill this morning
    Last rest: 2nd Jan

Very pleased with this morning's run - the pace was way better than I expected for the usual effort.  I'm starting to feel I might be able to PB at Canterbury on 25th.

Healing vibes to those who are suffering.

• Evening (second posting for me as the first disappeared), thought I'd put my training on here, seeing as the thread looks so quiet!!

What: another treadmill run for me; 6M in 48mins plus w/u and w/d then some conditioning and stretching.
    Why: ticking over mileage and sciatica prevention image
    Last hard: Sunday's 8M and washing machine installation last night

AF - big sympathies to you. I saw a couple of physios when I had similar hip/pelvic weaknesses. One of them hinted at leg length discrepancy and the other poopoed this idea. I put a heel insert in the shorter leg and after the running style adapted to this, I've had much better fitness and a lot less problems (like sciatica, achilles, PF and general shin niggles) in the longer leg. I still do pilates once a week plus regular stretching sessions (especially after a run) and I feel a lot better. Maybe you should do this and disregard that cruel suggestion by Podro? Interesting pic, btw!

Gobi - truely an automaton if you went out at 4.40am for a 20M run, well done!! image

Good session FINgers, what's the race planned then? London?

Lyrics: yep, the guy with the uptown girl?!

• Lyrics - no
    Shoes - not sure how much I get out of mine - they tend to wear on the outside part of the front of the foot pretty quickly - annoyingly most shoes have the tougher rubber on the heel and the ball of the foot both of which I hardly wear at all.   I tend to demote them to knocking about in rather than running when they are really worn right through the rubber for a fair size patch.

What - 2 hours on the bike steady today, 2 hours on the bike last night including 25 mile fast chain gang.
    Why - back is still stiff though not really painful now. - really need to start some kind of pilates/yoga stuff as I've had this recurring a few times over the last few years. 

• evening

It was the HRM playing up TT, not the HR - not sure what causes the problem, but had it again in the early stages of today's run .

Shoes - my wear pattern sounds (nowadays) v similar to Popsider's. The Asics Hyperspeeds I've been using in the past year or so definitely do have a life and it's not much more than about 500 miles or so.

what: 5 miles fairly easy in 35:55
    why: a bit weary, tapering down to Sunday

The monthly sports massage this evening - not quite as painful as I'd anticipated - though he did say he was going easy on a couple of spots he could have inflicted a lot more pain on....
    Came home & found myself dozing off; woke up to find a tickle in the throat....aaaaaaarggh - the last thing I need image   Having got this far thru the winter without picking anything up.....surely not now?

• Evening All

Awesome run tonight. image

Ended up as 1M jog down to gym.

Jump on treadmill for an hour at 7:30 pace (fastest I have gone this year ). Stopped and had a gel and a drink .Started up again for a second hour 0.25M walk .75 @7:30 ,then a mile each at 7:19, 7:09, 6:59, 6:49, 6:40, 6:31, 6:23, 6:15 and then 0.25 walk to cool down.

Given that 6:45 is my current half mara pace and 6:15 is faster than my 5K PB I'm one happy chappy.

And finished it of by jogging home. NICE image

Oh and just topped 200M for the month making this my highest mileage month ever already image

• It's all working Joe - great stuff - very pleased for you.
  • Very impressive running there Joe!

Fairly relaxed if voluminous day for me today. 64 easy/steady followed by 41 easy in the evening. Am going to check minute/miles in a bit.

Post-Sunday's break-through race am now hoping to get a block of 3 x 70 mpw in and then a weeks recovery/taper before my big race at BUSA with the Southerns in the middle.

If I can get through this block of 70 per week I will be very pleased as it'd be my longest sustained mileage period and realistically I think the highest mileage I would seriously consider running is 80 per week in 2009 which is if everything goes A+ and only then towards the end of the year. To get 70 in with 2 x workouts would be enough I feel to take me down to well under 32 mins for 10k and realistically if I'm concentrating on 5k this summer 70 is likely the most I need to do (e.g. Moorcroft 80- yes I'm well aware that lots of top runners doing 5k do over 100 mpw but they've usually been doing it for a number of years and for me to introduce the necessary quality then 70 is my maximum for this year).

Legs have definitely been a little heavy so far this week but apart from that everything is fine. I am worried that my muscles are getting a little tight so will try to book in with a physio soon. Thankfully my injuries are almost never muscle related but usually with the connective tissue so not a huge issue.