Marathon Q+A: GB Endurance Coach Nick Anderson

2»

Comments

• Thanks Nick, I will give all that a go!
  • Hi Nick - may seem a daft question but here goes.... i've a club place for FLM this year. i ran the leicester marathon in oct in 3.43 then in november picked up a calf strain which meant i had to stop running for a few weeks. i've now had a really bad cold for the past 2 weeks which has meant the max distance i've managed to run so far in training is 9 miles (though i am doing 12 this weekend). have i missed too much training to be realistically looking at sub 4 hrs for FLM this year?

• Hi mini,

sorry to miss you earlier. The cycling is fine but I would keep it low intensity. Just spin those legs out and no really long epic rides! Perhaps just up to 2 hours with a relaxed heart rate and easy gears not pushing the big ones. You could use this as a recovery run type day.

Make sure there is marathon pace in your plan also! Include this in segments of your long runs in the last 6-8 weeks on occasions too.

best, nick

• hi nick

i am doing the paris marathon in 11 weeks. this is my 2nd marathon and my target time is 4.30 to 4.40. my long run is 15 miles which will go up to 16 next week. my question is how or indeed should  i work my marathon pace into my long run. i am running long and slow but feel i should be doing some of my long run at my marathon target pace. what do you suggest??

FYI - i do a 5 mile threshold run each week, an interval session and a semi long run which stands at 8 miles but will increase to 10.

thanks

jo gray

• wayt2slow,

No there is plenty of time! Stil 14-15 weeks an you are experinced. The running you completed last year is money in the bank. Keep patient and focus on shifting the final parts of this cold with good nutrition and plenty of sleep. I would keep the long run very easy and dont try to build up too much or play catch up. Just consolidate for now. The last 10-12 weeks are the key, you are just building a base right now.

Go for it, but dont push hard yet

Nick

• Hi Nick,

Wits' end - a few years ago I started training for a marathon and in hindsight probably just went into it too hard, too early. I got shin splints several weeks in and have battled with them ever since. I found out that I am an over-pronater so since then I have changed shoes (now Brooks Adrenalin), been fitted with orthotics (and later had them adjusted). At peak periods of pain I've had months of physio and applied ice after playing sport or running. I now stretch before and after I run. Over the past 4-5 months the shins have felt recovered so I set myself the goal of training for a marathon again in 2009. I've now commenced the RW 16 week schedule and am following the sub-4.30 training plan, with the aim of running a marathon around the time of London. I'm now into week 3 and have a sinking feeling there's a little bit of tenderness to the front of my shins. Is there anything you can suggest to help me keep these at bay long enough to achieve my goal?!?!?

Any advice appreciated.
    Regards,
    Michelle (aka crayongirl)

• Are you Clive's brother??
  • oops, didn't mean to post that again. my 'refresh' got a mind of its own...
  • jo gray 3

Dont get too hooked on how many miles you do on a Sunday but yes include some marathon pace in the last 10 weeks etc. Be careful that th long runs you are doing dont start to get longer re time than 3 - 3.15 hours long. If they do I believe you will see negative returns and extra tiredness.

I suggest making the last 45 mins - hour @ marathon pace on some of the long runs in the last 10 weeks.

Therefore a 3 hour run might be 60 very easy/60 steady and 60 @ target mp or effort.

Dont worry if you dont hit the pace. It could be cold, wet or windy etc. It is the marathon fefort hat counts really although do try to find a flat firm route for the marathon pace part. Use the garmin just as a guide.

Good luck, Nick

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Hi Nick

In every marathon I've done I find it very difficult to keep the pace up after 20 miles. Last example was Dublin where I was running a consistent 6:40 ish min/mile until mile 20 when it started dropping to 7 then 7:15 minute miles and therefore missed out on sub-3 by 5 secs. Do you have any sessions that can help to combat this? 

• Hello Nick,

I've put together my own training schedule and intend to run 27 miles 4 weeks prior to the race, is this an okay thing to do?

• douey, sorry to miss you earlier.

You have to let life run its course and fit training in where best. Dont worry if you miss days but yes do try to swap your week about or make a new plan.

I suggest the following rules though:

Dont do a hard session the day after a long run

Dont do sessions two days in a row

If tired, just do a recovery run instead or tak the day off.

The key components are your long run, thrshold work and marathon pace runs. If you only kept these 3 runs in a week, the week has still been a success.

Good luck, Nick

• One more quick question - does a 'rest day' mean a rest just from running or a rest from everything? would you still do some other cardio work or strength/weights
  • Hi Nick

Do you have a marathon training programme I could see? I am hoping for  around 3.45 -3.50 but the training programme i have only gives me 2 day rest with 3 days in a row mid-week, which i fear is too much for me

Many thanks

Jules

• Hi Podro,

Review several areas:

Your nutrition pre race and during. Good carbs before the race an the week before, good drinks and hydration pre and during the race. Consider using energy gels in training and then in the race.

Are your long runs includin marathon pace in the later stages.

Are you doing oo many long runs and hard weeks therefore causing you to carry a low level of fatigue into the race that will always show itself in the last miles.

Are you going too fast early in the race causing glycogen depletion and tiredness

Are you being realistic with the marathon time.

Lots of threshold runs and Kenyan (continuous hills at threshold) hills will build endurance and strength for the second half of the race.

Hav you got a good training plan?

Some thoughts - hope this helps Nick

• Rest should be rest crayongirl!

Mayb suggest just pilates, yoga and or a massage

• Julian,

Have you looked at the RW options. Suggest you can use these but adapt to fit your own life. Keep th key components of a long run, marathon pace and threshold.

Then add rec runs or x training if you get more time on a week.

Nick

• Great to chat to you all.

Best of luck with everything.

Remember:

Patience, Planning and then progression.

Nick

• Russell,

Sorry just read your 27 miles qustion.

A definite NO. This will be a negative return. Not sure of your target pace but suggest no more than 3 hours  on a long run but include some marathon pace in the later stags.

If you are a quicker runner then I suggest no more than 20-22 miles with marathon pace built in

Bye

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Thanks Nick

Several nails hit very firmly on the head there. I will review and update my training plans accordingly.

• Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer questions here Nick! Lots of useful advice for everyone preparing for a marathon in the next few months.

Don't forget: Nick is mentoring two of our Lucozade Sport Super Six as they prepare for the Flora London Marathon on April 26 so will continue to be offering his wisdom and support on their training threads.

Keep an eye out for news of our next live Q+A too as in a few weeks we'll be welcoming one of the Lucozade Sport sport scientists onto the forum to answer all your fuel and hydration questions.

Thanks again Nick - and good luck to everyone with their marathon preparations,

Catherine RW

• thanks nick look forward to the next chat