Mersey Tunnel 10K

Comments

• I was thinking of doing the tunnel race for the first time this year. I believe the uphill as you come out of the tunnel is a bit of a killer.

By the way - are you for real Sprinting Toffee/Kicked It? I was one the mums at the Fun Run on Sunday, I can not believe you actually took a Garmin to a little race that was aimed at getting kids involved in exercise and raising money for charity. Or that you are talking about PB's and smashing your own time.

This was a race made up of women, children and families, it may have been short but who actually cares it was a charitable fun run in aid of a really good cause.

Sorry if those people who were there for the right reasons got in your way, but you seem to be missing the point of it. If this is the most challenging target you can set yourself you need to think again.

FFS - get a life!!!

• FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

I suppose it depends how the event was marketed, and having just had a squint, I'd have to say FD has a point guys, if a little strongly put!

Just worked out why it's called the Great PURPLE Run, I think. Excuse my ignorance, not being local and all.

• Ok, it may have been strongly put but it does upset me when people take these events out of the context they are organised in and use them to achieve personal goals, surely there must have been a competitve race somewhere in the region where you could have pitted your skills against other athletes instead of trampling children in your wake.

• fairy dairy - i dont think i said anything about garmins, smashing my pb, or complained that it was short. I mentioned it was short(and quite pleased that it was as i was knackered!image) and said about 100 kids sprinted at the start - i didnt say that was a bad thing either, i raised money for the charity and organised 10 other people to take part some for the first time and raise sponsorship of their own aswell as organise coaching sessions for them, and I didnt trample any kids, but thanks.
  • Isn't this thread about the Tunnel 10K? Although I would add... The Big Heart 5K (aimed at EFC / LFC supporters) is supporting th Rhys Jones Memorial Fund this year. Entry forms on www.runliverpool.org.uk if anyone is interested.

Alan Rothwell

'runliverpool' initiative

• It did go a little bit off-thread there, but who cares?

Notice you refer to the 'Tunnel 10K', not the 'Mersey Tunnel 10K', which seems to be a bit of a misnomer - certainly when I first thought about doing this I assumed from the name that it would go through the Mersey Tunnel, not the Kingsway Tunnel, mind you I'd never heard of the Kingsway or Queensway Tunnels before. Clever marketing, or misleading spin? image

• Up to 2002 when the event ceased, it had been delivered through the Kingsway Tunnel although I believe it was originally through the Queensway / Birkenhead Tunnel. When asked to reinstate the event in 2004 the Tunnel Authorities advised that it could only take place via the Kingsway / Wallasey / Mersey Tunnel as it would not be possible to close the Queensway / Mersey Tunnel. This would be necessary because it is four open lanes of traffic and the run would require a complete closure. The benefit of the Kingsway / Wallasey Mersey Tunnel is that one side can be closed.

Surely both are 'Mersey' Tunnels? It's neither clever marketing nor misleading spin. Most of those taking part have done it before and know which Tunnel it is.

Alan Rothwell

• Only poking fun, Alan - I couldn't care much less. Again, as a non-local not all that familiar with the area, I thought there were three tunnels, Kingsway, Queensway and Mersey - am I completely wrong? (it has been known!).

Off to work now - TTFN

• Calm down Fairy Dairy!

It was all jolly good fun on the day and I think you may have mis-read my post, (or maybe my humour was too well camoflaged!). I said I "smashed my pb" on the basis that the course was over half a mile short! I'm happy to claim the time! It was a touch of humour!

I wouldnt have been there if I hadnt beleived in the cause itself though. I do think its a little daft, (if not dangerous), to have little kids and people walking on the same course, with the same start time as those encouraged to run. It was a stampede of mixed abilities at the start and had anyone fallen I dread to think what could have happened - I would have been a bit nervous had my wife been in that mix with a puschair of precious cargo....

Sorry to go off topic but I dont want you to get the idea that anyone is "having a go" Fairy Dairy!

• Road Kill - when I last looked we only had two Tunnels. The original Mersey Tunnel was the Birkenhead Tunnel opened in 1933 (I think?). It was named the Queensway Tunnel and was officially opened by the King. The second tunnel was the shorter and is known locally as the Wallasey Tunnel. It was opened by the Queen in 1971 and is actually known as the Kingsway Tunnel. No third Tunnel!

History lesson over...

Alan

• Have just entered this one - no knowledge of the run or the area but I decided to have a go at it. Anything a bit different has to be worth a try. After finnishing my first half marathon last month (Ironbridge) which was a fantastic run but an uphill killer, my only concern is will we be choking on fumes from traffic in the tunnel if only 1 side is closed ?  Cant wait & have to get back into some serious training again - especially hills to get back out of the tunel it seems ! image

• Shrek, the Kingsway tunnel is split, one lot of traffic going one way through one tunnel. So i'm assuming that the other tunnel (normally for traffic coming from Liverpool over to the Wirral) will be closed off to traffic.

So the fans that you see on the tunnel roof should keep the fumes away

• No fumes. No traffic. One side closed completely. You have the Tunnel to yourselves.

Alan Rothwell

• Thanks for all the info Alan. By the way, did you choose to be called Yvonne on here, or are you using  the other half's persona?

Really looking forward to this now, although I do have a couple of other races to get out of the way first.

• Sprinting Toffee, the rant wasnt solely aimed at you. I did the run/walk on Sunday and saw several small children being jostled and pushed around by (lets call them) 'competitve athletes' which was most unpleasant for them and to me detracted from the family atmosphere of the day.

I then came on here to look at the thread about the Mersey Tunnel Race and saw you and Kicked it, giving it loads about how well you had done etc, so you go it. However, credit where its due, well done on your fundraising efforts.

Kicked it - as for you, the purpose of the event was to encourage families, hence there were children there, as for your 'humour' - very well 'disguised'.

ST - you are forgiven (slightly) - Kicked it - the jury is still out on you.

Back to the Tunnel Race - By the way, Alan/Yvonne - I notice from the application form it states 'no refunds under any circumstances'      I think that is a bit harsh, I presume this doesnt include cancellation of the race?

• Sorry to drag this on, (and its the wrong thread), but I think you prove my point about the event!

I attended the Heaton Park Cafod event the previous week which was also a family event and they sensibly segregated the walkers from the runners. I was happy for my wife and little ones to take part in that event accordingly. The Purple run was a great cause which I fully support, (which is why I was there), but being a familly event means it ought to be even better organised than ever  - I wouldnt allow my kids to take part in that melee at the start so as an event for families it fell down a bit there.

I re-read my post - I think its pretty obvious I was being humorous about a 5k PB over a 2.4 mile course - sorry you dont agree but thats life eh?

Lets agree to disagree and drop this before we clog up the thread!

Good luck in the tunnel

• The cancellation policy isn't harsh at all. We used to implement a refund and / or deferral policy but it was constantly abused by people who simply decided (for whatever reason) that they didn't want to run.

We stopped doing it because it became a nightmare to administer.

If the race was cancelled for justifiable reason then you would have your money refunded.

We have to have one policy with no exceptions but don't blame either myself or Yvonne. Blame the people who abuse the system.

By the way you don't get a refund from the London Marathon UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES and the deferral lasts for one year only. It merely guarantees you entry the following year and you have to pay again!

Alan Rothwell

• Road-Kill wrote (see)

Thanks for all the info Alan. By the way, did you choose to be called Yvonne on here, or are you using  the other half's persona?

Alan is logged on to the Missus's computer, but personally I like to think of him wearing a dress......image

Just posted Mr LB's entry for this. He's not done it before (he let me have a go last year and cheered me on instead) I can't do it because I'm having an op next week and I'll still be recuperating, so I will stand at the finish and cheer you all on! image 

I might even wear my LIVERBIRD Liverpool top - just for YOU Alan....image

• In which case I must purchase a new Everton top. My current one from the Ball, Harvey, Kendall era is looking a bit faded!

Alan

• When i've crossed the finish line, will i be able to walk back along the prom.

a. so i can get home and,

b. so i can cheer on anyone still running the course?

• Well I've entered and am looking forward to this race (my 3rd 10K) - although I've not run for the last week due to a calf pull.

I get a big boost when the locals support the runners - does this event pull good crowds?

• Yes you can get back down the promenade.

Alan

• Just tell me the firemen are coming Alan and I'm THERE! image
  • Awaiting confirmation but confident they will be there. Anyway, never mind the Firemen have a look at my cunning plan for a marathon course on the Marathon thread...

Alan

• From the pdf map on the runliverpool site I kind of figure this to be the route:Gmaps - pedometer - tunnel 10k

Is this anything like accurate?

• Alan i've seen the proposed route for the marathon, looks really good just need to get the backing now.

I have a whopping 20 people in the facebook group here

• Thanks Jay, sounds like I wont have to bring my Oxygen tank so I may have a chance of a PB. Where is a good car park for the start / finnish ? Dont know Liverpool at all so I need one easy to find please.image

• Hi Shrek - I'm not local either, but nutty has suggested Mount Pleasant, and sprinting toffee Brunswick Street. Haven't checked them out yet, but I had been thinking of Pall Mall as it's right by the start/finish (by foot) and car access is round the back so shouldn't be blocked off. Looks like it should be easy to find too. It's NCP so it might be a bit expensive perhaps?

If anyone has any further thoughts though...

• Id definetely advise brunswick st or pall mall over mount pleasant... unless you fancy walking through the middle of liverpool full of crazy shoppers in running gear!!! and if its raining rather you than me!!!lol Ill be going brunswick st (access off castle st) anyway always park there no probs, but if anyone robs my lucky space were not friends anymore!!!!!! image hows everyones training shaping up for this? Ive been trying to lose weight but having no joy, its always been really easy in the past image signs of age!!!!
  • ST i went out this morning and ran 10k, so i think i'm ready for it, i just need to make sure in the coming weeks I keep it up, got a busy week in work this week coming but i'll be OK for my running.

I've had a fairly relaxed week eating wise, so its back to business again this week.