BUPA London 10,000

Comments

• still waiting here....... will be a nice birthday present if it arrives tomorrow image

Edd

• Not had my pack either see if it comes in the morning then will give them a call.
  • Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    I got mine last saturday. Really looking forward to the race, just need to get some training in now! I've been a bit lazy for the past couple of weeks.....
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    I got mine last week but OH (who registered at the same time) hasn't got hers yet. E-mail on its way to race HQ tonight!
  • I got mine today, so they are in waves too (not the mexican kind T-Dog).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDD for tomorrow image

There's still a week and a bit to go though and they are clearly being distributed over days...

• Thanks!

It arrived last night....green group A, so i'm not completely at the back! Will be having a little alcohol-related celebration tonight and then it'll be water only until after the race.

Edd

• Hi Edd,

Am Green A too! Think I will end up completely at the back.. but it's the chip timing that counts image

Have a lovely Birthday image

T

• That timing chip thing is a bit big. Am tempted to put the laces through it as not convinced those bread-tie things will hold it on although don't want the laces cut at the end!

Am quite excited really...am running for a childrens charity "dreams come true". The running vest is a bit tight over my running shirt (I am an unusual shape image), but will still wear it on the day.

E

• Happy Birthday Eddimage

Do you have a just giving page?

• Hi,

not set one up yet. I did one for cancer research 10k last October.

At the moment I have been  putting up forms around the hospital where I work...but must set up a page as it is a lot easier especially when e-mailing people.

I'm basically taking part in 5 events this year which will all contribute to the charity:

• Sherborne castle 10K (March just gone),
    • BUPA London 10k,
    • Ninesprings 9 in Yeovil country park in June
    • A 20 mile coastal run/jog/hike along the Purbec coast July/August
    • and the commando challenge in October  image

Well, one of them is completed..just need to do the rest. The Sherborne castle 10k was rather hilly especially Jerusalem hill around the 3k mark which took most of my energy away!

Edd

• Good Luck!

At least you won't get many hills on the 25thimage

• Does commando mean like army-wise.. as there's another meaning which could be more challenging?

I'm doing two half maras in 2 weeks for my charity raising this year, and putting it to one charity - unfortunately won't find out if I'm in the LVM ballot place until just after I've done those.. and is same charity year for fund matching at work image It all got complicated.

Right.. am off for a quick 5k round the Thames. Catch you later. T

• got mine today...green B. blimey im at the back.  could be a blessing in disguise really. 

i made a mistake on the entry form and put 1hr 15 as an estimated time even though i was on course to 45mins.  (must have been a friday afternoon). 

the thing is, ive had a problematic knee for the past 2 months and can only cycle and swim....i havent done any running!  At least now im in the green zone i can go slowly and not be in peoples way.  i can just poodle round and enjoy it without going flat out like the people at the front.

• I got my pack last night and I am in Green A which is weird because last year I put a slower predicted time and was in the blue wave.  my pb was 1.06.  I don't want to finish last!image
  • I got my race pack today I'm in green B, although my son hasn't, hopefully he will be in the same. Don't worry Shakingfeline you will not be last (you've got all of green B and C behind you). I see they will help us take off our time chips at the end - do they think we will be incapable of doing it by then?
  • i got my race pack as well, I'm in green A, I'm quite excited! image
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    OH's pack came today - dilemma: she is in green B (pen 8 of 9) and I am in red C (3 of 9) but have promised to run with her as it's her first 10K. Hoping that I will be able to downgrade opens. So, will probably finish in about 1:20/1:25, even though my PB is just under 46 minutes. The things we do for love!
  • I got my race pack today but a lil worried as i'm blue A. I know it is because i put down my predicted time as 55mins but i'm out of sorts at the moment and think i'll be more like 1.05! Please don't mow me down as you all come flying pass!! Hahaha
  • So as a green A do I need to go slow? I thought 1:06 was a decent pace image my PB so far for a 10k, but been training shorter harder to hope for sub-60... reckon the Green B's will overtake me.

With a big race like this I don't think 1.06 will be last SF - and Didds is going to be longer image

Didds, it's only for love if you don't nag her for slowing you down.....

JonoB, isn't it the atmosphere that moves you along and carries you to the 55mins? image

• Ed! How was your birthday?

The commando challenge looks great 'fun' !

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Tracy - will try not to nag but may involve much tongue-biting!
  • Nothing worse than having 'support' that doesn't actually do the job! Suggest gentle-words of encouragement and motivation... to show her you are doing it for love image
  • Tracy you are right it probably will be, it is London!! Note to self must be more positive image
  • Yeh JonoB! So you go get your 55mins and I'll catch you up at 59! image
  • Just beginning to enjoy it Tracy!

long day at work covering colleagues, grand round presentation at the hospital, teaching..

but home at last now and finally opened the cards! the official celebration starts tomorrow in a nice local country pub... then a recovery run on sunday...maybe image

• Recovery runs are more challenging on a hangover! Oh.. no.. you are just having a couple I think image

Enjoy it now then. Have a good one. C U at Bupa 10,000 image

• My PB of 1:02:25 was last year at Southend. Was not a nice day, wet & windy, so hoping to go under an hour. How much is the atmosphere worth do you think, a minute or two?
  • gmikegmike ✭✭✭

Hi All, Just noticed this thread so thought I'd drop in and say hello image

Got my pack Wednesday - REDA #349 - red & white 'Benfleet Running Club' vest (or cycle top if it's raining!

I'll be travelling in from Essex via the Fenchurch street line and then the Circle/District to St James's Park followed by a short walk. Shame the Jubilee line is shut (or restricted stops) as it was quick and trouble free last year .. although that did mean I was there in plenty of time to get really really wet!

I haven't done a 10k since the Serpentine on new years day as I'd been training for more distance stuff ... only Great Bentley Half, Bury 20, Paris Marathon and a sprint triathlon since then so hopefully I can dig out my quick legs for this one.

Tryffydog - I did that 10k in Southend and my pb course too .. 42:56 ... lovely drop of seaside weather image ... although last years Bupa was even wetter if that was possible!

rgds

gmike

• Welcome gmike - our first Red number I think.  You'll be long gone at the finish so will keep an eye out for you at the startimage

Not planning on Southend this year, doing a 10k in Abington Cambs on that day. A smaller field & no chance of the rain blowing in off the river/sea!