South Cheshire 20

Anyone doing this? I ran this 2 years ago and is one of my fave races. I prefer this to the 3 lap course at Stafford as this is a far more interesting course and a few good hills too. Ideal as a last long run before the Edinburgh Marathon too.

Comments

• Mmmm, might be tempted by this as only a few mile away... however, it's 1 weeks before Chester half, still suppse I can rest all week then... interesting.

So, Nick, any kinda desciption of course then as I know nothing of this race mate...

Cheers Pug image

• Hi Pug,

Yeah it's real close to where I live. It starts at the local high school in Shavington and is a very rural scenic course. There are a few hills and one pretty tough one at the half way point, but mostly undulating. It winds its way through the villages of Weston, Betley, Wrinehill,Barthomley and one or two others. The support is rather spread out ,due to the nature of the course,but there was still plenty of encouragement. They have maps and stuff on the race website.

This was one of the first races I ever did and thoroughly enjoyed it. Tough , but rewarding . I'll be doing the Staffs 20 too this year but I hope to get a better time at this one. 3 lap courses are not my faves and this one is pretty much out, a very large loop and then back again.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Nick

• I'm thinking of doing this race again, I did it back in 2004 and said never again but I may give it one more go.  I'll be the last to finish as normalimage
  • Hi Guys,

Trying to get back into training after 18 months out and hoping to do the Edinburgh marathon end of May. I live in London and as always, there are no good races after the London marathon so considering doing this race. I hate hills though so I am rather worried. However my marathon PB was Boston so maybe I should stop being chicken and enter.

Words of encouragement wil be gratefully received.

Thanks

Anne

• I'm with Anne - I was injured playing Hockey so I've set myself the Edinburgh Marathon challenge! I too live in the south and there are no long runs after FLM.

Only 100 entries last year to this race, is it serious runners only? I ran my first half marathon of the year yesterday in 2:03, will I be a long way behind the rest? I'd rather not lose my confidence at such a late stage.

Advice also gratefully received.

Cheryl  

• Anne, Cheryl,

Don't worry. When I did this a couple of years ago I was relatively new to running and there were runners of very different standards. I think there is about a 3.5 to 4 hour time limit ,so no pressure. Most of the runners seemed to be doing it as a long run in preparation for some marathon or other. I think it used to be called the Pre-Potts 20 and was used as marathon preparation for the old Potteries Marathon.

The small field made it seem quite relaxed when I did it and even for a longer distance was beginner friendly.

Hope this helps

Nick

• I marshaled the race last year and I would echo what Nick's said, the standard is wide spread, there are a couple of testing hills but nothing to big. The countryside is lovely and you pass through some beautiful villages.

I'm going to have ago at running it this year for the first time, which should be interesting, I've never raced further than a half marathon!! image

• Yeah, I'm 60/40 in favour of this race over my Muller 10k now as they're on the same day... I'll decide closer to the time, however as regards standards, seems to me, when looking at previous years, there's a huge spread of times, so I don't think it's going to be a problem for the slower runners... don't forget, you don't want a race full of superstars, running is meant to be fun and for EVERYONE, so don't not turn up just because you can't run as fast as others... GET THOSE ENTRIE IN...

Cheers Pug image

• anne and cheryl, 

The race is meant for runners of ALL ABILIITIES-- not only the ultra serious elite types.

I am usually on the finish line and the latter finishers are just as important as the first ones-- you will be just as warmly welcomed on your finish.

As nick and neil said , this is a testing but very scenic and enjoyable course and well worth the trip---we have never had any negative  comments on it (yet!!!)     http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing004.gif

• I ran this for the first time last year and echo the previous comments. I really enjoyed it, despite setting off too fast and then hitting that hill the other side of Betley! It was tough for me from then on. Having said that I'm entering again this year and then doing the Windermere Marathon the next weekend.....

I'd recommend it to anyone, very friendly, supportive and above all great fun!

• Sent our entry off today.
  • Hello all image

Just spotted this one... I'm in Brum and doing Edinburgh as my first marathon (eek!)  Pretty confident that I will come last, hate hills with a passion, and my plan actually has a 22-miler for that weekend, but what the heck, it should only be just over an hour's drive on a Sunday morning and much more interesting than just extending my usual route round Birmingham's (flat) canal network.  Have my first 20-miler at Ashby next week so that will be a good indicator.

• I'm just realising how far 20 miles is. 

I've just done a hilly 12 miles and i'm knackered.  8 weeks 5 days left.  How's everyone else doing.

• cap66 - will tell you after Sunday! image
  • did trimpell 20 on sunday in 2.03 so might actually give this one a go with better pacig and more long runs might have a chance of something decent. Currently thinking 75/25 in favour of this over muller market 10k me thinks... All depends on weather. If it's hot, won't do this, if it's cool, think i'm in.
  • A big thank you to the organiser of this race for the offer of the drink at the final hill at Milford after a group of us had followed a rogue sawdust arrow and made the race 22 mile rather than 21. Thanks again will see you at your clubs 20 miler soon .
  • Hi guys i have just entered this it sounds like a good race i dont mind the odd hill.
  • Tarmac Runner - my pleasure. I was just relieved it was an error and that I didn't have to put in some absurd loop before the finish! Look forward to seeing you on 10 May.

To first-timers on this course, I ran it for the first time last year and, on a very warm day, it was a real test. Between about 9 and 16, there is plenty of up and down, including the hill alluded to after Betley (at about 9). However, pacing as ever is the key. If you treat it cautiously this will be an excellent way to round off marathon prep, and please don't worry about the time. There's a theoretical four-hour limit, but no one will be abandoned out there! One of our marshals actually walked in the last mile or two with the final runner last year. The (relatively) small field just means you get more personal attention!

• CharlieR  -  As you've done this race before, could you tell me what the condition of the footpaths are like and are there any problems with the traffic.  thanks cap66.

I've decided to do the goyt valley 10k on the 22nd of April as a warm up.  I've increased my milage to 30 miles a week and just completed the 100 miles in 30 days mapmyrun challange.  How's everyone else doing.

• cap66 - it isn't a traffic-free course and there are a couple of (heavily marshalled) road crossings, but nor is it a very busy route at that time on a Sunday, and at least half the run is on pretty quiet country lanes. As to the state of the footpaths, I would say there's nowhere on the route where conditions underfoot would cause any concern. Hope that helps.
  • Thanks CharlieR.  I've weak ankles and have a habit of twisting them on dodgy paths. 
  • Hi im just looking for a bit of advise, i have just signed up for this event, i have ran 5 half marathons in the last year, doing them all in around 1:38. Do you think that a month is enough time to train to run a 20 mile race? And what sort of weekly milage should i be looking at doing?

• cap66 - you will mostly be on road, or at least will have that option. I can't swear there isn't any broken or uneven footpath in the entire route (will be updating the course risk assessment shortly) but there's nowhere that you're compelled to run over sustained uneven ground. (It does finish on a school sports field for last few hundred yards though.)

Patrick - I'm a bit reluctant to offer my largely inexpert opinion, but my advice would be to use the month to get up to a 17 or 18 in training. If you can manage that, on the back of your very respectable half-marathon times, I think there's no reason you shouldn't handle 20. Last year I was doing about 35 miles a week including one run per week in the teens of miles leading up to this event.

• Hi Patrick,  this is the first race over half marathon distance i've done so limited help.  Your half marathon times shows your a good runner and if your in condition to do a half marathon you should be fine for a 20 miler.  I would say the most important thing is whatever you do in the next 2 weeks give yourself plenty of time to taper before the event.  I would advise not doing any running in the last 3 days before the event apart from a fifteen minute jog the day before. This will help you avoid heavy legs in the last few miles.  Hope this helps.
  • This will be my last long one before Edinburgh so perfectly timed . Got the good lady running with me and a friend going to take it nice and easy, time on feet and all that.

So far we have done Meon Valley Plod 21 miles, Stamford 18.6, Trimpell 20 and Milford 22image(went the wrong way) so this will make it 5 quality pre marathon runs totaling 100 mile . Looking forward to this one lets just hope the sun comes out. Cheers again CharlieR

• This will be my last long run also before Edinburgh, I am aiming to run this at marathon pace too.

My preparations so far consists of Folksworth 15, Stamford 30k, Bury 20, The Grizzly (20), Silverstone Half, Ashby 20 and Oakley 20. Most of these are testing courses I'm hoping those races will help me through the undulations of this one.

• Foxsake - I did Ashby too. Have you done this one before, and if so, how would you compare the hills?  I'm just a bit nervous as a) I hate hills and b) I'm slow therefore am scared of a small field image
  • Yeti - Nope this a new one for me too, and I too hate hills! dont worry you will be fine. I am not fast by any means a couple of us are doing this from Bedford Harriers for our last long hard run before Edinburgh.

I thought Ashby was a tough race myself. image

• Foxsake - you've done loads of 20s!! I've only done Ashby, but will do at least one more before the Cheshire one, just delaying entering until I'm a bit more confident. I know that in less than 8 weeks I'll have to do the full 26.2, but at least there will be hundreds (maybe thousands) of people behind me there! That's why I like big races image

Going to attempt some off-road hilly training over the Easter weekend in Cornwall for a bit of variety compared to the dull city streets of Brum image

• Yeti see that we are from the same part of the world  do a lot of my runs in Sutton Park  very easy to do a nice 8-10 on trails with a bit of wildlife rather than the Brum streets have a good run in Cornwall. Some good long runs on your list Foxsake  Well Done.