Options

South Cheshire 20

Comments

• Options
    Tarmac Runner - yes, have thought about heading up to Sutton Park, but that would mean getting in the car to go for a run, which kinda defeats the object, although I think I'll do some of that over the summer. My long runs do invariably include stretches along the canals and through Cannon Hill park, but it does get a bit samey when it's week-in-week-out.
  • Options

Do enjoy the Birmingham canals do a nice one from spaghetti junction to the Malt house and out towards the M5 then turn round and head back allways looks a bit different in the opposite direction . Just gets a bit smelly under some bridges in the centre due to late night toilet stops but that aside does make for a nice run.

Keep an eye out for B,ham Black Country half in a couple of weeks did it last year from Wolverhampton to Brindly Place nice fast flat run on the canal network.

• Options

TR - I did BBCHM myself last year and will be doing it again - it's a club GP race too image  Sat 4th July.  It was interesting to see a different stretch of canal, but I'm sure there are more bridges in the Black Country than around Edgbaston - they killed me from about mile 10 onwards as I'd seized up so much.

• Options

Thanks TR, I have a few shorter local races planned before Edinburgh too, If the long miles are not in my legs now they never will be image

Good Luck with your Hillwork in Cornwall Yeti image

• Options

Right, have finally bitten the bullet and entered this. Have been having lots of rubbish runs lately, but you know what, I don't care if I'm last!  Seeing all those people yesterday putting one foot in front of the other in the heat, pain, emotion of it all just puts it into perspective. There are that many people that can't run at all, what does it matter if I'm last in what sounds like a really scenic, friendly run?

How's everyone doing?

• Options

Hi Yeti - you won't be dissapointed with the Cheshire scenery.  There's a few hills that will give you good views of the countryside.  Downside is you have to climb them.  Nothing to serious though.  I'm still sore after competing in the Goyt Valley 10k last week, which was more like fell running than a trail run.  Very enjoyable even if i posted my slowest ever 10k time.

As for the South Cheshire 20,  I've never run Further than 14 miles and don't know what to expect, but trainings gone ok, but carrying a bit too much weight.

• Options
    I'm contemplating 'popping up' to the area over the BH weekend to suss out the route either on bike or by car... (probably the latter lol)
  • Options
    I'm off for a 12 miler now -in the rain- see you later.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can enter on the day for this as i'd like to give it a go if i've recovered
  • Options
    Hi mmugpunter.  You can enter on the day.  It will cost £1 more than entering in advance.
  • Options

Thanks cap66

Hopefully i'll be fit enough to do it after FLM last week,Uttoxeter half this Sunday and the gatehouse 10k next Wednesdayimage

• Options
    Well a nice slow plod for three hours this weekend  then this 20 miler next weekend then its all down hill till Edinburghimage.
  • Options
    2.5 hrs for me planned tomorrow (gammy knee permitting), then as Tarmac Runner, just hopefully this one, before Taaaappppeeeeeeeerrrrr!  imageimage )
  • Options

5 more days to go.  Tweeked my knee over the weekend, but seems ok now.  Just done a 7 miler in the rain AGAIN.  Looking forward to Sunday.  I'm number 17 if you want  a chat on the day.  Set myself a target time of 2 and a half hours. 

Everyone else ok?

• Options

Hello all. I decided to take a trip up to South Cheshire yesterday afternoon to have a drive round the route and suss out exactly how big those hills are. And yes, they are image  Somehow got lost somewhere in the last few miles though and ended up back on the motorway - hope that doesn't happen on the day!

Did 13.25 miles on Saturday am, netting an unofficial half PB, so after a week of poorly knee, am pretty pleased with that. Did another 4.5 tonight, with a couple of hills, and will probably only do one more run before Sunday to reduce stress on this knee.

Anyway, I'm number 87, a.k.a. the one at the back walking up the hills image  Target time = to finish before they kick me off the course...  lol.

• Options
    Is it me or is it compulsary to have bad knees to run this race?
  • Options
    Well done on setting an unofficial pb Yeti.  Not done one of them for a long time
  • Options
    cap66 - Thanks image  Is it just me that thinks the closer we get to the big day (by which I mean Edinburgh of course), the more I notice every sniffle, niggle, twinge... image  Hope most people are fit & raring to go though!
  • Options
    Looking forward to it and hopefully the weather is kind to usimage
  • Options
    Bham SnailBham Snail ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'll be doing this one after the disappointing run I had on Sunday at Uttoxeter half!
  • Options

Not surprising if you did the FLM BS

I had a great Uttoxeter half which surprised me as my legs were tired after the marathon

• Options

Managed an 11 miler on friday and a nice slow 3 hour 20 miler on monday. Got a nice 10 k thrash at DK on wednesday night then the final 20 on sunday then its all down hill to the big day image.

See you sunday for a long one.

• Options
    Hi B'ham Snail.  Sorry to here of your bad run on Sunday, But here's a ideal opportunity to get yourself back on track.  I don't know most of the route, but the first and last four miles are a good mix of village and rural.  The rest is Cheshire countryside which never dissapoints.  I'm looking forward to a good day out as well as a hard race.  Hope you change your mind and we see you at the start on Sunday.
  • Options

Hi folks, just had a call from a runner who had heard/been told that the race was full. It isn't - there are nearly double last year's entries (and pre-entry is now closed), but there will be entry on the day, as advertised.

Registration will open just after 8am for late entries and to collect numbers.

Please note (this will mean more to people who've been there before!) that the main reception area at Shavington Sports Centre is currently closed for refurbishment - all the changing and toilet facilities are still available, but entry is via the adjoining Shavington High School. I will try to signpost this as clearly as possible on the day, and there will be people around to direct you, but if it helps to know in advance, it's the school entrance that's being used.

Best of luck everyone - fingers crossed for a bit of spring sunshine but nothing as hot as last year.

Charlie Rowlands

(race organiser)

• Options
    Charlie- how many entries are you up to at the moment then?  I have a friend who may come up for the run but won't know until later this week if he can, so it helps to know that entry on the day is a definite.
  • Options
    I'm relying on entering on the day so don't worryimage
  • Options

Entries don't come direct to me, so I rely on updates, but the last one I had (last week) was nearly 150.

The stated limit is 300 (I confess I wasn't privy to however that number was arrived at, having only taken over this year) which we won't reach. I've no intention of turning anyone away, in any case. If we need to rethink the race limit, that will now be a debate for next year.

Think we only had 80-odd who actually ran last year! Is it the growth of the Edinburgh marathon that's done it?

• Options
    Thanks Charlie - I'm reassured by the 150 entries, not only more people to overtake me, but more chance of not being last image
  • Options
    Bham SnailBham Snail ✭✭✭
    Don't worry yeti: www.justgiving.com/hilsfirstmarathon, you won't be last. I will have that honor!
  • Options

B'ham Snail-Your back in? Good on you.

I think you have just challanged Yeti to a duel on Sunday.