Training at low heart rate

2»

Comments

• Isn't the point of base training to increase your lactate threshold? So keeping HR between 60-80 would achieve this.
  • Sorry Yifter, it wasn't my intention to come across as tetchy, I really respect your input on this and many other threads.image
  • Tams B - Thanks for the book recommendation! I had a looksie on Amazon but a 2nd hand one is currently priced at 44 quid, so I'll give that a miss for now!! LOL!! I would certainly appreciate any advice you have on this, once you get your book back!

I've decided to give myself a break from running this week, as I'm still not feeling 100%. A few months ago, I'd have all the energy in the world first thing in the morning to get out there for my run, on an empty stomach and now I'll be lucky to crawl out of bed, and still feel so monged out of my box. I just don't know what's going on. So, once I'm back out there I'll be doing the max HR hill test, and start the base training. I thought I was building my mileage gradually, but maybe the hard runs have burnt me out, and it's all caught up with me? Thanks for all the advice that's been given, it's been invaluable and a great learning curve!

Anyway, I hope we can keep this thread going, as it would be interesting to see how everyone gets on with this. Good luck!!

• Lactate threshold runs etc etc, should be the preserve of serious athletes. The risk of injury does not warrant it, in my humble opinion.

Long live the long slow plod!

• I've recently been looking at HR training and so I've been reading this thread with interest. I did a max HR test at the gym today.

I did 3 mins as fast as I could staying at the same speed on the treadmill, followed by a 2 minute jog, then I did the next  3 minutes as fast as poss but i couldn't finish it, I managed about 2.5 mins before I felt sick. My max hr was 170. I did a VERY hilly 10k last weekend and my max HR during that was also 170 so it must be about right.  I'm a 31 year old female. I've done several HM with a PB of 2hrs.  My resting HR taken over the past 3 days works out as 48. Everyone elses max HR  seems much higher, why is mine so low?

• Hi PP,

from what I've read your max HR is like your shoe size - it's just what it is.  I have a high one (197) and have an almost identical HM PB to you.

I thought it may be time to give the thread an update to my training.  As a synopsis, since 1st jan (after a month off running) i've been doing  all my easy/long runs at or below my 70% WHR (which is 155), while slowly introducing tempo/speedwork back into my schedule. 

I have one short easy run route which I have done 4 times since then.  Here are my stats:  (time, Av HR).

2nd Jan    9th Jan    23rd Jan    12th Feb
    Total time                    23:01        22:43        21:41            20:57
    Overall Av HR            146            149            150            146

Mile 1                            11:48        11:38        11:04        10:48
    Av HR   (mile 1)          146            148            148            143
    Mile 2                            11:13        11:05        10:37        10:09
    Av HR   (mile 2)           147            150            151            149

• pp - Tams is right - max HRs vary a lot between individuals. That's why the 220-age formula is so unreliable. It isn't something that you can improve through training, although I think there is some evidence that regular training can slow the decrease that naturally comes with age. I don't think that max HR is much of a factor in determining performance (not that there's much we could do about it even if it was!).
  • thanks guys. I guess I will have to live with it and carry on plodding along according according to my HR. Good luck everyone else with the training!