Options

Six Nations 2009

Less than a week to go!

I suppose Wales start as favourites, can they do the Grand Slam again? Will it be Scotland or Italy for the wooden spoon? How will England, France and Ireland do?

Allez les Bleus! image

Comments

• Options

oh yes, here we go again!

is it time for Johno's boys to make good?

I'll be cheering them on, but I fear it will be Wales again

• Options

Its been said before by me and others, but I do think that we (Scotland) have our best generation of players since, well, 1990 with several genuine lions contenders.

I expect us to win and maintain good possession, defend and kick well but, yet again, I fear our undoing will be lack of cutting edge in the centres and the lack of an international class number 10.

Tentative predictions are......none....we shall see what we shall see.

• Options
    posted this below on the other 6 Nations thread - let's just keep this one thread going....

but for my twopennorthworth - Wales have an excellent chance of retaining the 6 Nations but I'm not betting on it, just hoping and keeping the fingers crossed!!

I reckon Scotland could be the dark horse despite the odds as they played well in the Autumn internationals and they have some good players in some key positions - just not at 10, 12 & 13!!

Ireland - not sure - blowing hot and cold - good forwards but backs seem to have lost their sparkle and BOD is not at his former best.

France you can never ever discount - depends which mind set they have on the day

Italy - forget it

England - if they hit their stride they'll do well but they have some key injuries and the selection policy isn't gelling a side together.
  • Options

Hi fb

Correct re scotland but, again, 10 is soooo vital. so i feel it could be mid-table mediocrity at best for us.

Sunday is vital, for Scotland because we must win our home games and also for Wales, who seem to thrive on momentum. Their recent successes have come when they have scraped victories in early matches, only to build up to some excellent rugby in later games. There is an unstoppable quality to Wales when they get going so if there is a chance for scotland, it is in the opening game.

Ireland v France is interesting as the Irish have no great form, yet the French rarely play well in Dublin. Ireland win.

England to win ugly at home by 12 points due to the steady influence of Goode and the unsubtle battering-ram style of Tindall.

• Options

oh and wales have a crap record at Murraymorgue.

I'll not be there on Sunday, because i'm not a millionaire and because it has all the atmosphere of a funeralhome.

Going to Meggatland to see the Women's Six Nations instead. And also the under-19s.

• Options

Yay good to see this thread going again! I'm really not sure what England are going to do - with Borthwick in command very little probably. Pleased to see Fatty Goode back in the fold though - he might steady the ship a little. That said I rather like Toby Flood but England desperately need a solid win at the weekend to get things going again.

I've got tickets for England v France in afew weeks - cannot wait.

If I was a betting lady I'd have a little flutter on France for the tournament...but Wales must be easy favourites at the moment.

• Options
    I think the problem we have in Wales at the mo is that regions aren't going as well as last season bar Cardiff Blues but most of last season's Welsh squad - and likely to be this seasons - are from the Ospreys who are blowing hot and cold this season. OK the Ospreys are coachless at the mo and have been for a little while but the confidence isn't there which may translate into the Welsh team. Same goes for Sean Edwards as coach - his confidence is down in the way Wasps have gone this season......these things worry me

I just hope I'm wrong and momentum drives us on to beat you buggers on Sunday....
  • Options
    found out a few weeks ago that Andy Goode's mum was at school with Petal - she never knew until they met up at a school reunion after many years!
  • Options

i think you will for one reason above all: belief.

and your coach is a winner.

our coach is a nice guy and knows the game well but is to easily satisfied with honourable defeat. as are the scottish public. and the players.

• Options

FB that is classic! Good forum connection.

Dude having witnessed that dire game at murrayfield last year I think your team can find some inspiration when they want to - its the consistency they seem to fall down on. They just seem to like kicking the crap out of England which is fine but only gets you so far. That said I had a great weekend in Edinburgh - its much more fun when Scotland win and I hope to be back next year!

• Options

birdypie - you're not kidding.

its even more annoying when its obvious the players have the abilitty, just not the desire to perform well for every game, not just against They Who Must Not Be Named.

It means as much to me to beat Wales/Ireland/France and especially Italy, as they have got a little edge over us.

Glad you had a good time in Auld Reekie. Not gonna manage down to Twickers this year....its the only Six nations venue ive yet to visit! given our woeful record there its perhaps no wonder.

• Options
    I see the SAFA's missed qualification yet again image

What a shame image
  • Options

I've not got much of an idea on how France are doing, don't remember many good results from the AI and they only have ONE team through to the Heineken Cup QFs which doesn't bode well. It will be interesting to see if they've settled under their new coach or if they're still prone to chucking it around. It's great when it works but it can lead to some shocking results.

Can't believe Fatty Goode is back, have they locked up all the pies?!? image

• Options
    I'm currently eating all the pies Nemo...just to protect him from himself!! image
  • Options
    Maybe he needs the extra padding as protection! image
  • Options

Can't wait for this to start.  I'm an England fan but also a Leinster fan, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if Ireland did well.  I think the winner will be decided by who does best againt the Scots, who I think will provide a couple of upsets this year.

Whoever wins, I want to see some good weather leading to some flowing, running rugby.

• Options
    Sadly the most likely 'upset' is going to be Saturday in Romeimage
  • Options
    D74 wrote (see)
    Sadly the most likely 'upset' is going to be Saturday in Romeimage

Why ???????????????????????

Posh Beckhams not bliddy going to watch is she ???

• Options

BOING! image

Anyone brave enough for predictions?

I think England will beat Italy and Wales will beat Scotland (sorry, Dude!)

Can't decide between Ireland and France. Head says Ireland as they won't make the mistakes they did 2 years ago but heart says France might just sneak it.

Let's hope the weather doesn't interfere too much!

• Options

France will beat Wales in Paris... other than that I think Wales will beat everyone else and are a good bet for the Triple Crown.

England will beat Italy and Scotland... though the Scots have improved.. and it's not the certainty that many are predicting

• Options

Oh joy!!

My favourite time of the year' Sais Open Season'

• Options

why is it that when I believe that I am a fair level headed person who hates racism in its many forms , do I still look at these games with the overwhelming view that it doesn't really matter who wins as long as England loses.................image

not rational at allimage

Probably remember too many years of biased commentary when i was young...

I think France might win it or  come last.........they are just so unpredictable

• Options
    seren - that is not an irrational thought coming from a Welsh person.......it's genetic - we support 2 teams, Wales and anyone playing England........

I'm married to an English person, have lived in England far longer than I lived in Wales yet I still derive deep joy from England losing at anything..........much to Petal's hate.

anyway

what the feck is Nick Mallet taking?? choosing Bergamasco at scrum half??? wtf???? should be interesting though and could be the most inspired selection of all time or a frigging disaster for Italy..
  • Options
    Italy don't have a chance.  It's the sheer pace and extravagant  playmaking of Goode that will see them off......
  • Options
    assuming that he stays off the pies.........
  • Options

I think he's on a metres kicked related pie bonus.  It the only possible reason he plays that way... 

However, compared to Danny Chargedowneverytimey then he's got to be the better option. 

• Options
    nah - disagree there.........Cipriano is going through a very bad patch but underneath is a class act waiting to show his talent again......England's problem is that they have few options available at 10 now that Wilko, Hodgson & Barkley aren't up to it

Goode is playing well for Brive at the mo but I don't think he'll be 1st choice for future games