Six Nations 2009

Comments

• rubbish

I don't want any more 'promising signs' or 'better performances'. these players are too comfortable with losing. they don't hate losing.

I want to win.

• Ooh, that's made it interesting. You can't really doubt England's passion for this game even if they're a bit ill-disciplined.
  • well, 2 - 1 in tries

just think what we could do with 15 men for 80 minutes

• thats an original line................blame the ref for the teams indisciplineimage
  • if you mean me, I didn't blame anybody for us playing with 14 men

however...

Ryan Jones is a lucky bugger, isn't he?

• Ref - if the teams pull the same stunt, then give the same yellow. Period.

Wales were better. Solid, stronger and better.

However, I am so glad that England ran in such a good try. Andy Goode was more than I thought he could be and that Johnno did an awesome thing...tactics....J Worsley. That was a stunning play.

Goodness me I love rugby. I still fell happy ven though we lost.

• Waas a good game and whilst I'm not disputing the result or even the reffing (yellow cards) then I woul dsuggest that just as the scoreline flattered England in teh Italy game then there wasn't an 8 point difference between the teams IMHO.  Great tactics by the coaching squad and a stellar performance from Worsley, the best he's ever done in a white shirt.  

I personally think that the game showed that for all the talk before the game, England aren't as bad as is claimed by the press and some 'fans' and equally whilst the wales team is good, it's not in the class as the teams of the 70s.  Had the teams really been like that there would have been a 40 point difference.

Ok, here's the 'sore loser' bleat.  Penalties were about 2:1 (was 11 - 6 near the end).  England had a yellow card for repeated offences afer 15 minutes and 4 penalties.  I can see why Kaplan sent off Goode, due to the location of the offence, but then there were 3 welsh penalties in exactly the same spot later in the half.  England had a sin binning last week for tackling the receiver off the ground which was much less dangrous than the tackle on Armitage in my biased opinion.  The new laws do make it a bit of a lottery and I feel that applying those laws which is very much a judgement call by the referee can easily lead to changing the outcomes of the game.  So the pre match talk in the press, and by the coaches is now very much capable of playing a very significant part in deciding the outcome of the game, and I personally don't beleive it should be that way.  I'm all for speeding up the game, but the new laws turn a contact game into a bit of a lottery.  Two 17 stone players tackling another player running at them at 10 metres per second are not all going to be able to hit the deck in a way that gurantees there are no arms / legs / bodies over the ball (both sides) and so there is always going to be the 'how long' question.  I think Goode got binned as a result of the supporting player hitting him and him then falling over the ball, not the stood up head on player he was doing before, although I totally accept that this was still illegal, it's just again more reason to question the rules.  When does whaite turn into black when there are so many shades of grey?

• Yep, congratulations to Wales on a fine win by one try to two. I'm not going to start on one-eyed Saffa Anglophobe Johnathon Davies-Williams-Jones-Kaplan and his two linesmen, Messrs Magoo and Wonder (it's a joke, ok? image), but I would query why Geraghty and Haskell got yellow cards for taking the man in the air and tripping respectively (last week) whereas similar offences committed in the two games today resulted merely in penalties.

And I can say without fear of accusations of bias that the Sweaties were unceremoniously swindled against France...forward pass, ref!

• Mind you, at least the BBC appeared to have responded to the Davies issue and have dropped him to the bench.  Loved Inverdale's dig at the bias thing as well when handing over to Moore and Butlerimage

Genuine question to the many taffs that were posting on the thread earlier in the week.  So who would you have given Man of the match to?  Even attempting to be unbiased then I didn't see any stand out performances from anyone in red that deserved the award.  Lots of decent performances, but the individual one to take the award.

Oh, and thank goodness that contact lenses for refs and the ELVs weren't about when Neil Back was playing.

• Neil Back, cheating? you'll be saying that Serge Betsen understands the offside law next! image
  • Serge Betsen does understand the offside rule he just chooses to edge past it occasionally image

Just realised I'm taping the wrong side for the rugby while I'm stuck at work. So instead of Italy v. Ireland I'll have 3 hours of Eastenders. Joy! image

• I must admit that for all the random dicking about with the rules at the breakdown and in the scrum, then the refs / players are not even abiding by the simple offside law. That gets flouted sytematically, especially when the team defending is in the opponents 22 - very very rarely gets pinged and of course there is minimal punishment if it is.
  • Wales had 16 men, england had 14 for 60 minutes.

England are playing so bad, we won on that woeful game. Sorry but wales need a kick up the arse NOW.

I was there in the ground. Tense in the air until 75 minutes where the crowd sung every welsh song going.

Man of the match? Sakey. Far do's that f8cker is fast and good even for a england back

• Good post TT, glad you had a good time thoughimage  Don't suppose you saw if Sackey went off injurred did you?  It looked as though it was a leg / ankle strain, but the commentary implied it was a tactical.
  • What's this thing about England having 14 men for 60 minutes?

Two sin bins = 20 minutes surely?

...and Wales having 16 for that matter?

• I think that there was a bet on in teh commentary team about numerical errors.  Moore did two basic errors, a 15 minute sin bin for Tindall and then later when Goode was off he reckoned England were down to 10 men.  Then Inverdale's 60 minute error.  Too much for a co-incidence.

And the 16 may have been a reference to possible allegations of Mr Kaplan's role in the game. 

I still think that the all time worst refereeing was the Ire vs Eng refereed by Paddy O'Brian in 2002 or 2003 I think.  Not being funny, and I know he's a Kiwi, but FFS, whoever sanctioned that needs their head testing!

• The level of inconsistency in refereeing is unbelievable.

Yesterday Byre took out the England defender in the air, no yellow card, rewind a week to when the same player was taken out  in the same circumstance yellow card to his opponent.

The offence committed by the Italian full back today should have been a red card, no questions, this is the sort of play that prevents parents from allowing their kids to take up rugby.

Maybe a start would be to ditch the southern hemisphere refs.

• Alan - I agree in part, in the sense that the southern hemisphere league games are quite different to the NH games, but in a lot of ways when it comes to teh World Cup we need to have been exposed to the SH refereeing or the games will be shambles.  Now a good arguement could be to have a panel of refs for premiership, Super 16, Heineken Cup, 6N and Tri Nations and have them all reveloving forget the carbon footprint!) to attempt to 'standardise' the game. 

Having said that, it's very easy to spot things on TV, even in real time with the high angle camera, but at pitche level with people blocking view, you out of breath from running up and down and needing to be looking everywhere and giving constant feedback to the players it's a lot different.  I don't mind refs missing the odd thing (ie the France forward pass), to an extent even the Welsh off-sides, but what they ought to do is be consistent in the things they do see.  So the tackle on Armitage, the repeated coming in from the sides and the slowing the ball down in my opinion, should have warranted a welsh sin bin.  But htis is probably why I'm not a professional refimage

• A bit of an improvement for England & something to build on.

Wales looked like they never quite got out of 2nd gear,thankfully image

• Much better game for England on Saturday and it was highly entertaining stuff. Worsley was amazing - I've always thought he was a bit over rated to be honest but I offer my apologies to him now. Incredible performance and lets hope he continues.

Green shoots of recovery...well maybe...

Quite looking forward to my Twickers trip for England v France now!

• Worsley did only have one job to do though - keep an eye on Roberts and tackle him whenever he got the ball.  Having said that, he did do it very well.
  • Perfect roll for him- I've never been too certain of much brain activity under the Worsley head band!

• I'm very impressed by the coaches.  Not only did they develop a tactic and a plan to do that, but also employed the precise person to do that role too.  And given the modern game defensive and attacking 'systems' then to develop that besoke apporach for one game I thought took guts, and showed that they are doing the sort of analysis that Woodward was doing 8 years ago, but then you never felt was happening with Andy Capp or Father Ted.  So to me it looks as though Jono is bringing in the right people in the backrooms, and I'm more than happy to give them a couple of seasons to get it all singing.  Don't rule out another world cup semi place next time. 

The only annoyance I have was Sean bloody Edwards in the wrong box on Saturdayimage (and that's not withstanding the above).

New info, didn't know but he's got a son with M-people's Heather Small and he's very religious.  Now I did not  know that about him.

• Rugby Union Six nations  - the BBC should be sent to court by the trade descriptions act

What a bore, kick , clap, knock on, forward pass penatly, kick clap

Penalties and kicks are just not exciting

Try rugby League 

• I'm sure we've had this discussion before but Rugby League's shorts are just too small and tight for me to take their players seriously...

• Runner G - fine, don't watch if you don't enjoy.   And I've been to countless league games, stood there freezing my tits off in winter, at  Cassleford, Wakefield, Leedsetc etc  but would prefer to watch a game of union over league any day now. 
  • Worsley deserved the MotM........he made a big difference to England and it was a result that was as close as I expected - no way were England going to get stuffed as the press seemed to think......close 2nd for MotM was Gethin Jenkins - superb performance in tackling and defence - and scrummaging - from a prop

yes - you lot have a right to bleat about the ref, but in the end he called what he saw. we've all been on the end of blind referees at some time but even allowing for some gross errors like Byrne dumping Armitage in the air, Kaplan did an OK job.......

Wales didn't produce as they could - 'cos England made them work harder but their defence in the last 10 was immense - just when it was needed as if england had broken out who knows what might have happened.

anyway - I'm happy that we got the win