Six Nations 2009

Comments

• As predicted by me thenimage

Eng v Ire...................WTF! I seen better at mini rugby. However Martin Johnson having a "trev" on live TV was amusing.

• hmmm - nothing much else to add

Wales didn't get moving at all - France were superior
    England need to learn discipline - but what a dull game
    Scotland and Italy - why?? appalling game
  • As it was the first game (and only one of the weekend) in HD then I made the decision to watch it all.  Even in superb detail it was dire. 

England  - if you forget the score, or even the point of the  game and concentrate on what we're going to get pinged for next then it makes it a bit more exciting, although I appreciate this is perhaps not the case for  the impartial observer. 

For all the England bashing of the last couple of weeks, then neither Wales nor Ireland have exactly been scintilating in attack.  As 'inept' as our attack was then at least we were getting over the gainline which is a lot more than could be said of Ireland.  How many times did they get driven back 20 yards in the course of play before kicking to regain it?  France have been the only side that's shown some sustained flair so far (in my totally biased opinion). 

Painful to admit it, but I think that they are probably the team I'd want to see lifting the trophy. 

i don't even want to start thinking about how bad a game the Eng vs Scot will beimage  Wales V Ireland on the last weekend will be overhyped and I don't see it actually being that good a game.  Tense and close, but I don't see that much play going on for a neutral. 

Was interesting that Haskell was mentioned as being a potential captain prior to his effective withdrawal from the future squad when he went chasing the money to France next year. 

• Don't think France will beat England at Twickenham and it'd be just like them to play badly after a good win over Wales. Ireland and Wales have a much better points difference as well so I still think their match will be the Championship decider. I will definitely be supporting Ireland in that case, I think BOD and others deserve it after all these years.
  • Dickinson's reffing the England France game and I think that's a good thing.  OK, so he may (or may not) have fluffed the Cueto try but I'm happy that he'll referee the game and not the media prior to the game.  Have no problem with Vickery's yellow, nor Goode's or Tindall's. 

In all honesty despite not personally thinking it was a foul at all, then I wouldn't have been all that surprised or upset at Armitage getting a yellow either.    But what I did object to was the swiftness of the final warning in the Wales game when if you compare to the game on Friday then Wales were committing offences at the same rate as we did but didn't even get a warning.

• Interesting Wales team selection against Italy:10 changes and a "rest" for such luminaries as Ryan Jones,Gethin Jenkins,Tom Shanklin,Mike Phillips and-of all people-Martin Williams.

I don't think we were that bad against France,so I imagine it's a way of giving some of the squad members a start and trying out a few combinations.

That certainly suggests confidence on the part of the coaching team,but the danger is that Italy take it as a real insult and are really fired up (as France were last week,for different reasons).

Of course,if we win well,there could be some interesting selection decisions for the Ireland game.

• I think the majority are just being rested David, you need to test the whole squad in the build up to the world cup. An injury or two at the moment and we would struggle, so need to develop some options.

Apparently Shanks pretty much plays on Cortison injections and can't walk for two days after the game, and they need to wrap Martin Williams in cotton wool to try and get him to the WC!

But I think Ryan Jones may be struggling for his place. As he's played out of position to date, you'd have thought that they would have given him a go at 8. And with Jonathen Thomas coming back at blind side, he may well stay there.

We really should have too much for an Italy upset though!

• I agree.This Wales team actually looks quite exciting on paper and should have far too much pace and movement for Italy.

Interesting about Ryan Jones:a year ago he looked to be a certain Lions captain,but BOD has definitely impressed more this 6 nations and I'm not sure Ryan would get into the Lions test side on current form.

I think it may come down to the last game.If Ireland win the Grand Slam in Cardiff,BOD is certain to be captain,but if Wales win comfortably-and Ryan Jones has a good game-it will be close.

I also agree that No.8 seems to be his best position.

• Anyone else miss the rugby this weekend?  Has been quite dull without it.

• Soojie wrote (see)

Anyone else miss the rugby this weekend?  Has been quite dull without it.

No, I'm English.

• Know what you mean, D74

meanwhile Wales have won the Sevens World Cup

would you Adam and Eve it?

• I've missed it, Soojie.

Looking forward to the games next Saturday, the perfect way to taper before my race on Sunday!

• Yes, sounds a perfect way to taper - I love it when you get two matches in one day. And, although first choice would always be Scotland's match, I enjoy all the others too. Honest! Looking forward to next weekend.
  • I'm off to twickers on Sunday. I am looking forward to it as i haven't been for a while. Could be an interesting game...if nothing else at least we can have a sweep on how many penalties England will incur! image
  • BOING!

Penultimate round of games. There should be wins for Ireland and Wales on Saturday but Sunday's match looks v. tight. Hope you enjoy  it, Birdypie! I think England will win by a narrow mmargin but I hope France can pull off a shock victory.

I will be rushing back from the Hastings Half to try and catch it, may tape it as a backup in case the headwind on the sea-front is too much for me.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS! image

• I predict a Wales win.

I do think that Scotland have an outside chance (I think the irish are superior for certain but definitely not unbeatable) but a lot depends on which O'Gara turns up.

Hopefully the possible return of Hines and Hamilton should reduce our naivety.

England to beat France. Not sure why, just a hunch.

• Grumble. Now refereeing on Sunday so aren't going to be back in time to see it live. Actually, may be a good thing...
  • Hamilton in for Kellock.

Very unfair on Kellock, who is dropped yet again despite playing well.

White should have been dropped.

• Nah - they're home and dry now.

They won't catch Ireland on points difference though if it comes down to it at the end.

• I had typed out a huge analysis but then deleted it on account of the fact that there is no point.
  • even my flutter on italy to beat wales (10/1! too right!) went up the swanney.
  • they seemto have gone back to playing like they did in the world cup, passion, where's the passion
  • Ok, so the closest 6 nations for a long time in terms of teams that could have won and in terms of scores in each game, yet is it just my looking at it through red and white tinted glasses that thought it was also the poorest?  Just the teams seemed to lack passion all round.  Just France in the Wales game seemed to have that desire.

• No, it is the poorest.

Ireland to win by virtue of being the least crap, although France probably the best side in terms of quality. 

The Lions to get utterly horsed in SA. 

• Dude, I think you may be wrong.  It's a shame (and I can't believe I'm saying this) that the French don't get an opportunity at playing in the Lions otherwise I think we'd have the beating of them.   I think it'll be close <crosses fingers> but Lions should just squeeze it.

I'm off to Twickkers now.  C'mon England!  <prays that there is some English discipline for a change>