Tuesday session

Lat night I was in theory resting after Sunday's race, but got home feeling really good (only a little stiff in the calfs) so went out for a 'walkabout'. In this sort of run I go out the door without a fixed objective, running a (hilly) loop course to a total of about 7 miles but with options to bail at various points. I suppose you'd call it easy fartlek. Anyway I did the whole loop, so......

Today: Probably one hour steady, may cross train if feeling too weary.
Why: Get some good mileage in early in the week before work takes over on Wednesday, Thursday.
Last rest day: Last Thursday
Last hard day: Sunday

Comments

• What: Early Morning Hill reps 10 x 200m with 1.5m jog before & after
    Why: Training for GNR (1st 1/2M)

Last rest day: Monday
    Last Hard Day: Sunday
  • What: Just a plain old run, around 5 miles.

Why: Time constraints. To get my mileage for the week off to a start.

Last hard day: Thursday.

Last rest day: Friday, but very easy day yesterday.
  • What: 4 mile loop with hills
    Why: last run before the Robin Hood half on sunday and I need to see how my knee is.
    Last rest day: sunday
    Last hard day: yesterday...did 2 miles on the treadmill cos it was p****** down outside but my knee packed in.
  • What: 3x2K at 10k pace on treadmill
    why: 1/2m schedule (2nd to last week!!)
    Last run : long run on Sat
    last rest: yesterday (knee been a bit funny)

Had a good session and didn't wimp out for once. Not having much luck at the gym though - last week I forgot my towel, this week I got changed into work clobber and found I had a big food stain down the front of my top! We're interviewing today so can't hide it under a jumper - had to go back home to change again.
  • Took it easy yesterday and had a rest...

Today: easy hour jog
    Why: back into it after Sundays race
    Last Rest : yesterday
    Last Hard : Sunday
  • Vrap, do you call the 14 miles you did, including a 10K race easy then?

What: 4M+, pretty steady. again about 50 minutes, including time to talk to an old friend and stretching after the first mile. And no a-i's, no back pain, just ordinary. I'll take that!
    After that pool exercises and a very short swim.
    Swimmers: how best to build up: I start off with an elegant, effective relaxed stroke, which lasts all of two lengths. Then it all gets to be hard work, even though I can now do 30 lengths (1min bread after each 10 lengths). Suggestions?
  • What: 4-5 miles easyish.
    Why: legs still a little stiff from Sunday, so probably best to leave hard sess until tomorrow.
    Last hard: Sun 1/2.
    Rest: Yesterday. A good day for rest seeming as the rain was torrential.
  • Alas yes, Marj. Running 5 miles steady is no longer a "hard" day, and walking any distance on city pavements is transport, not training. It's not so long since I would have considered it a "hard" day, though.

Long runs, intervals, and climbing mountains are definitely hard days.
  • what - yesterdays 4m
    why - the rain put me off - but I rationalised it down to tired legs so doing Monday today
    last hard - Sunday
    last rest - Monday
  • Morning all – looks like summer has finished

What : 7 mile tempo
    Why : Club night – 10-mile race on Sunday

Last Hard Day: Sunday
    Last Rest Day : Friday#

Stickless

Swimming comes 70% from style and form and only 30% from effort – so the way to improve your swim is to include weekly drill sessions into things:

For example

Warm up
    Catch up
    One armed
    Legs / Arms only
    Push and glide
    Warm down

A good book is Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin ISBN: 068481885X

Will
  • What: 9 mile fartlek with club
    Why: Cause it works!
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: Yesterday

Probably last hard day for the week, will taper from tonight in preparation for the Robin Hood Half on Sunday.

You still on for this one Gareth?
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: am - 5.4 miles steady, pm - 6 to 8 miles steady
    Why: Don't want to do any hard sessions until maybe Thursday or Friday to ensure recovery from Sunday's race
    Last hard day: Sunday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Morning,

What:
    AM - 2000m swim
    PM - 8 miles incl a 5000m at 400m fast 200 at marathon pace
    Why: First bit of speed work in a while
    Days since last hard run: Today
    Days since last rest day: Saturday

Stickless - As Will points out if you want to get better then you should really look to improve your technique. But you can still improve up to a point by just slogging out the laps.

MM - Still haven't got around to phoning the help-desk to see whether I can switch to the half on Sunday, as I am entered for the full but there is no way I want to do that. Guess I can always drop out at half way if all else fails.

Gareth
  • Well only managed the walk to the GP yesterday and doggy had to stay in because it chucked it down - no use getting ill before I have to. Anyway... that brings me to today

What: Crosstraining (with a difference). Walk to GP surgery again (wound is red so I reckon that's taking up some fair metabolism time), entangled with the locum GP trying to look under the bra strap without actually baring all (that was hilarious) and finally I'm off to the hairdressers to get the locks lopped off before they fall out. So I have to endure the verbal train that is Tracey (my hairdresser) who talks at a mile a minute!

Why: because I can

Last hard day: This morning was hard. Mr woke me up and I stretched and forgot about the wound - it hurt. Alot.

Last easy day: probably about a month last sunday
  • What: 10 x 800m @ 5K pace off 120HR recoveries, with 2 mile warm-up, 2 mile warm-down
    Why: Tuesday is intervals day
    Last Hard Day: Sunday's tempo run
    Last Rest Day: Monday last week

Really pleased to be getting quicker and stronger at last after what feels like an endless plateau throughout the summer - I still find the stops, starts and setbacks of improvement highly puzzling, since it's not always when you're training hardest that you improve the most. Still my sub 2:50 goal for the Abingdon marathon now looks plenty "do-able" barring injury or illness or act of God.
  • What: boxercise class
    Why: usually try to do this class on Tues - would normally do a run in the evening too but not today as I amm tired
    Last hard day: Sun (GSR)
    Last rest day: yesterday
  • What: 10k @ 10k race pace, 2k @ 75% max effort, 15 mins abs exercises, swim to warm down, finished with steam room & a good session with my boyfriend later
    Why: because I'm feeling good
  • What: Interval training on track 200m run 200m walk x 5, 1 mile warm up, 1 mile cool down
    Why: Need to get faster
  • What: This weeks interval session on the treadmill, 6 * 800m at 5k pace with 100m jog between and 10 minute warm up and cool down
    Why: Latest day of Windsor training programme
    Last Hard(Running)Friday
    Last hard(drinking) Saturday, no more until after Windsor
    Last rest: yesterday

I'm feeling much more confident with my training now than I was a couple of weeks ago and am really looking forward to Windsor

GFB
  • Hi Gary

How did your training on holiday go? You didn't seem to be enjoying it much before you went. (and how did you find those intervals - I had them last week and wimped out after 4)

Doobs
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.
    What: 5 mile race in about an hours time.
    Why: It's an annual event between 2 clubs, one of which I belong to. I don't intend to take it seriously, but will use it as a tempo run. It's only up the road so no need to leave early.
    Last hard day: GSR
    Last rest day: Sat.
  • Okay 3 cheers for the ill person. I managed it - the walks to the doc and hairdressers and the 1 and a half miles with the dog. woo hoo - it's a start.
  • Well done Cathers
    Me 4.1 mile canter. Feel fantastic. Apart from my legs, obviously.
  • What: 10.3K q hard - did it in 40:14. Last mile in about 6:11; avge HR 159
    Why: Last hard long session before Hoylake 10K on Sunday

Last hard day: Sun
    Last rest day: Sat

I see (just to the left of me) that the Hoylake 10K is still laughably referred to as a "fun run". If the wind blows....
  • Well done, Cath. Nine days postop, that's training all right! I hope the doc looked after you well and the hairdresser did a good job. Are you planning to go for the bold bald look when the inevitable happens?
  • cath, locum GP not sexy then??
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Ok just got back from race 1 (5miles) of 2 for this week. Said I wasn't going to race it! Well somehow I forgot this after the first 2 miles as I was feeling loose and better than I did on Sunday at the GSR. Pushed it hardish for the middle two miles and very hard for the final mile and ended with a good time of 34.27. Felt quite relaxed, apart for the final mile!

The course is undulating with as much downhill as up, which I like.

There was only about 150 in the 5 miles event with all money going to charity. There was also a 2 mile fun run for kids and adults wanting a shorter distance.

Race 2 is on Sunday, same distance of 5 miles. Somewhere I've got to get a longer run in this week, or should I not worry and just keep to a low mileage week because of having 3 races in 8 days?
  • Doobs

I only ran once whilst I was away, no real measure of distance but I'd estimate 4 miles.

Since coming back I've got back into my training but missed my long run Sunday just gone as I'd been on the piss all day Saturday. I'm aiming to do a 12 miler on Sunday which should set me up nicely for Windsor.

It's easy to regain your motivation after a break and I'm really looking forward to the race now.

GFB
  • And forgot to say the intervals were pretty hard but was determined not to fail today