Wright Hassall Leamington Regency 10K

I fancy adding another spring 10K to my diary.

Does anyone recommend this one?

Comments

• As the lead orgainiser I have to say yes! It's a great run, well marshalled, great friendly atmosphere, very scenic route. We aim to provide a top quality race (although we are just a group of volunteers raising funds for the local community), chip timing, mobile toilet and urinal units, T-shirts, medals, bottled water etc.. to all finishers, first aid provided by paramedics etc... 

Russell Hall

• I've entered too. What's the course like? First 10k coming back from injury in December... quite excited!!
  •  Excellent, we've got a good field now.

The course is pretty scenic. Km 3 to km 4 is a gradual up hill, there is a steep down hill at about 4.7km in, then it is all pretty flat. Do watch out for speed humps at 800-100m and 5.1 to 5.4km.

Russell Hall

• Haha - sounds like my kinda course... running round the bicester airfield (though to be fair to it.. was very flat) nearly drove me bonkers at my last 10k....
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep training! And good luck with the organising Russell - it sounds like it will be an amazing race!
  • I'm in! Did the fradley 10k  yesterday; abismal (shockingly so) time of 1hr 20. Can only get better though huh image
  • Don't be hard on yourself Kerreh! Else it gets depressing. How many 10k's have you done before? Whether your first or your hundredth I'd guess that there was probably something you could learn from the race, even if it was small like what you drink or eat before the race or the type of warm up you did. I'm hoping (so much) to crack the hour this time round - I'm glad there will be 'normal' runners there as well as super-speedy types image)
    good luck !
  • Im in this one  Rene it is going to be nice to do battle once again lol
  • The Leamington 10km is a great race, it was my first ever 10km 2 years ago and I did it last year when it was Alpine conditions.  Can't make it this year as I have the Paris Marathon on the same day but you'll love it image
  • Only 2 10k's so far! First was @ Ragley last year for cancer research and got 1hr 10; 2nd was fradley on sunday just gone with 1hr 20. Also 20lbs heavier this time than I was the first one (oops image).

Going to go ahead with a positive approach! I'm doing the GNR this year too so spent last night figuring out my method (well some method to madness).

Now have  this one on 10.04.09, Crowle 10k on 10.05.09, Evesham vale 10k on 12.07.09 and was thinking of attempting the double or quit 5 or 10 miler @ end of august. Hopefully all of those to keep me focused with some decent training should get me through ok image

• It's a great race. I've done it for the last two years and entered again this year. I'm sure you'll enjoy it
  • Hey Kerreh - 2 10k's is not representative.. lots of different things can happen on the day.. and your training looks sound!
    Good luck!
  • Kerreh - what is the double or quit 5 or ten miler? not heard of it?
  • Double or Quit Linky (Derbyshire)

Hopefully that link works? I only came across it on the forum... not 'too' far away from me and sounds more of  a challenge to get round rather than times etc

• is this my first run of this kind, anyone got any more tips? im really looking forward to doing it should b fun to do a 10k run
  • Kerreh - yeah the link works - but it looks scary!! good luck!!

On another note, I have a friend who wants to run this race with me (well.. I say with me... in actual fact quite a long way ahead of me...) but it is apparently full..If anyone knows anyone who's dropping out please give me a shout - don't waste the number! Thanks!

And Paul - as for tips.. well.. my main one would be don't set off too fast!! And enjoy the atmosphere and crossing the line at the end. If its your first 10k, don't put too much pressure on yourself about a time... just enjoy...

• I've entered this years event after running it for the first time last year... last year was bizarre as snow in april was fairly unexpected! The organisers did a fanastic job to make sure the race still went ahead, though a shame the snow caused many people to stay away and miss out.

Nothing more to add to Russells comments about course having a long gradual climb at 3-4k, the steep downhill bit at 4.7km is VERY steep and requires some restraint (from a runners point of view it'd be better to do the lap of the golf course in the opposite direction, but I can imagine having a steep uphill only the width of a footpath would just cause a huge bottleneck in the middle of the field!).

I can't say I even noticed the speedbumps in the road, though the marshalls were keen to point them out... at around 7.3k there's a few 'switchbacks' as you have to run under a bridge, which throws your pace a bit. It's a shame (although understandable) that the road can't be closed to save having to break pace to do two 180 degree 'corners'.

All in all last year was really enjoyable, it's not the fastest course, but nothing major to stop you PB'ing... and you know that after 5k, you've covered all the hardest bits of the course. :¬)

• Hi all,

Second year for me doing this one.  Was beautiful last year in the snow, stunning views across the golf course at one point.  Appreciated the marshalls more than normal that day, they must have been freezing!

The climb at 3-4k is not too challenging and I personally didn't find the downhill too steep.  Apparently they did run it the opposite way around the golf course but it caused lots of problems with bottlenecks and people getting fed-up with slower runners!

I will say though that if you're towards the back like me the first couple of km on the golf course can be frustrating, it's very easy to get caught behind people as it's a narrow path.

So, I would politely request any runners who are running as a group, please don't run three abreast and block the path for people behind you.....

• Must Get Faster or anyone else - I am entered here but have stupidly booked my flights to France the same day (didn't remember this was that weekend, doh! - and cheap airlines charge you full price to amend so no chance!). So I have a spare number & entry sitting here.

email me on marcweissenberger@hotmail.com (cos I won't check this every day), first email received can have it (donation gratefully received if you like!)

• Marc - sent you email - hope I'm in time - I have two friends who would love places...
  • yep no worries Josie, have emailed Heidi and cc:ed you. Once she confirms, will send off to her.
  • Hi folks,

My friend and I are gutted that entry on this has now been closed off because the race is now full!! - I stupidly thought we'd have loads of time to sign up (first race!).

......I don't suppose you know anyone else who isn't able to contend???  I need 2 entries.  Any help on this would be gratefully received!!

• Me too!

Anyone wanting to pass on a single entry?!!

PLEASE!!!!

• Please don't run on someone else number as the first aid and emergency services have been passed the entry details. It can also cause problems at the prize ceremony when males run of female race numbers.

Results will be published on http://www,jandresults.co.uk soon after the last runner finishes.

• ... last runner finishes...

That'll be me then! image

• Kerreh - just been reading the course leaflet... time limit is 2 hours.. you'll be FINE!!! stop worrying! and good luck!
  • Anything under 1h20m and I'm a happy chicken! Should be nice weather too image Happy running to everyone else!
  • Today I biked 20 miles..... but at someone else's marathon running pace.... I'm really not sure that classes as the best preparation for tomorrow.... time will tell I suppose!
    And yes,, absolutely.. happy running to everyone!
  • Just back from this, glorious weather and the view from the top of the golf course makes it all worth while! All in all great event, lovely marshalls and will be going again next year image
  • I have done this every year since it started. Dont seem to get any quicker, but enjoy the  great atmosphere. Encouragement from the marshalls and public is terrific.