Sunday 8th February 2009

I'm caught up
I don't know what to do

Morning folks.

clink - ouch! Hope it clears quickly.

alehouse - ouch likewise. How did you manage to dislocate vertebrae?

Gobi - have you had your massage yet? Would a treadie not have been a safer option than snow btw?

What: 7.5m steady d&d / 15-18m with TMP/PMP later
Why: Usual Sunday, but I had to swap the order of the runs so Mrs TT can get a go on the treadie. Just as well Wokingham is off - it's frozen around here, it would indeed have been lethal!
Last hard: Getting up this morning - very tired (but fine once running).
Last rest: 30/01

Have a good day all.

Comments

• Lyrics... Oh dear.

Morning

What: Lordshill 5k
    Last Hard: 11 miler last sunday
    Last Rest: Tuesday off, only rest day in 22 days of continuous running.

Happy Racing and so on.
  • OK I'll post here instead....I delayed posting my own thread starter in order to verify I'd got the lyrics exactly right, and found myself beaten to it....they'll reappear another day.....

As for these lyrics...errr....

Clink - oh dear...hope the bruising's coming out nice & swiftly & you can get back into it soon

nrg-b - nice to see you here again & hope work, life etc allows you to post regularly.
    You're broadly right on both counts - in the end it was a matter to some extent of "Just Do It" image
    I did get a bit fed up with the ER thread in the end, which just seemed to be going round in circles. JH's posts, with their unquestioning acceptance of everything Dr R ever wrote, I got to find particularly tiresome.
    My view as of now is that Pose has much to offer - but negates almost all of it by continuing to emphasise how the foot should strike the ground, ahead of more important factors such as posture. Once I began to look at articles like this I began to think and work things out for myself, ad that proved to be the best way forward.
    Still quite a way short of perfection, and stretching regime and monthly sports massage has played its part, but haven't had any spells on the bench now since early May - in consequence, have begun to manage some half decent performances once more. 

Having said that, I'll probably come back from today's event having tweaked a calf.....

what: Liverpool & District XC Championships, Clarke's Gardens, S Liverpool
    why: club calls. In any case, this is a "fair" course in my view - soft in parts but no silly mud like Sherdley Park. I can get there on time, & manage a proper warm-up on this occasion, I (almost) fancy my chances.... we shall see....

Good luck to anyone else whose race hasn't been postponed/cancelled due to the weather.....

• Looks like TT has it.

clink - hope it's nothing major. Had to chuckle about the guy asking your weight and imagined a scenario with him replying 'sorry, I was going to carry you but you don't look that heavy' image

nrg-b, your ears must have been ringing because I asked myself on my run yesterday 'when did I last hear from nrg-b, is he still running?' Moi, couldn´t do mean if I tried and lean? Still 12 stone of runner to carry around, but not too much flab. Few pounds around the middle I could do without... Proper racing weight should be a fair bit lower, but a) I like food and b) mrs I would kick me out if I go skinny

What: 20M d&d
    Why: mara training
    Last hard: last 2 miles weren't pretty today (in part because I ran fairly hard from 15 to 25 k), had an alfresco at 26k, got going reasonably again but then ran out of steam around 29k. Really should start thinking about some fueling/hydratation on the run.
    Last rest: thursday
    Lyrics: yes

• Morning All

Nrg-b: Nice to see you back

Clink: Hope your not out for too long

Alehouse: so how did you manage that then?

Gobi: Have issues and run 12.. Ok how does that work?

What: Nowt
    Why: rest day / legs tired from yesterdays efforts on the sand dunes
    last hard: Monday and bits of yesterday
    last Rest: 1 week

Good luck Mike S.

• Clink - sorry to hear you are in the wars again. Hope ankle heals quickly.

I've got a sore lower back - couldn't work out why. It feels like someone has given me a good kick in it. Didn't realise it was bruised and couldn't think how I could have done it. Then I remembered my grandaughter falling when we were at the rock pool by the waterfall on Friday - I grabbed her and the pair of us fell backwards - must have done it then. Didn't stop me running the last couple of days so guess nothing to worry about.

Good luck with the 5k Paul.

Nice 20 miler Imski.

What: 15 miles with the Y - it was overcast, but still very hot and humid. Good run - pleased to get it in.

• Morning all!

Re vertebrae...no real recollection of dislocating anything! May have happened a month or so ago, and whilst they are back in the right place there is a lot of soft tissue damage around the area. Now only causes a problem with either sudden movement or bending over computer/books...which as a teacher is a major problem!
    What: probably 15 to 20 mins steady
    Why: would love to do more but chest infection still lingering (neck is not a problem running!)
    Last hard: Jan 2
    Last rest: Dec 24

Good luck to racers today. Look forward to your reports. I enjoyed running at Clarke's Gardens once upon a time, Mike...just my sort of course, too, from what I recall. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • morning,

yes,  clarkes gardens a nice venue - had a decent run there in the mid 90's. close to where my parents originated i remember as a young child being taken to see the guinea pigs there, i wonder if they still have them?
    anyway have a good run mike - you're in a strong phase and confidence should be pretty high

shame about wokingham TT - are they planning to rearrange or just shelve it?

good work already NZC (didn't realise grandkids were such a health hazard !),  imski TT - all putting in miles. you don't look very flabby to me imski - i'm with the mrs on that.

had a good night, the elevation thing is definitely best as it came up again quite badly when i got up and sat for half an hour at breakfast so a sofa day is prescribed. mrC has shortened his crutches (oo err) we still have from his knee op and i'm finding them useful. hopefully a day non weight bearing will make a big difference. 

NRG - yes, we do have a lot of lyrics in common
    yesterday was the source ft candi staton - you've got the love.
    seems to get re issued regularly in different versions and mixes. my favourite is the one with the haunting baseline but can't find it (any ideas NRG?)

looking forward to today's race reports - hope not too many cancellations

• Clink: wouldn't the Guinea pigs be a bit elderly by now???
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

clink - eek, you really are unlucky at the moment.

what: 4.2 miles
    Why: to see if I could
    Last hard: that defnitely was

boy oh boy, the lurgy made itself felt.  It was hard work, but got back to find it was much faster than it felt so reasonably pleased.  Hopefully the gunk in my lungs and sinuses will start to shift now.

Have a good day all.

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!  - thanks TippTop! I laughed at what her ex-Hubby said about her: "She struts like a granny on stage" - LOL!

MikeS: JH sometime does Pose no favors. I've had may doubts about it but when I've applied its core principles especially recently, it just works for me really really well. I ran in gripless Puma H Streets house-slippers during the snowy/icy days - no problem. However, you should check my running mottos on Fetch, especially the last one. 

Imski: LOL - Are you hungry for a Rajasthan ? image

DD: Cheers!

Clink: Yep I think that tune has been covered a few times. Have you tried bittorrent or limewire?

What: 45mins with my son and my neighbour, then another 75mins on my own.

Why: Increasing time on feet

LastHard: Look...I don't like hard sessions (ooo-errr!) so I'm just not going to bother with "Last Hard" for the forseeable future. image

Lyrics: Yep.

I'm very pleased that my weightloss programme of EatLessDoMore is working wonders. Have now lost 11lbs since the start of this year. Still got a long way to go to get to race weight but - SlowIsTheNewFast.

• Afternoon

clink - Oh dear hope you are ok. Take it easy for a few days and hopefully you'll be back.

i'm not sure what happened my theory was the treadmill running i did last week i reckon my gait was different to how i run outside as i did notice calf was tight after those runs - i should have listened.
    You're right i've been lucky not been forced to take time off running in the last 18 months when i had a spot of knee trouble

What: nowt
    Why: The physs said
    Last Hard: last sunday
    Last Rest: Yesterday
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Mava: Take it easy - if you just have a runny nose then that's fine but anything involving chest based gunk - well a few more days of easy (or zero) exercise can't be bad. Be a patient Patient.
  • Mike S

Thanks for posting that link, thats got to be from one of my favourite blogs though not read it in a while The guys seem to know what they are talking about and seem helpful as well (i have occassionally posted on the South African forum)

• nrg-b?! Hello! Hope you are having fun!

MrC on crutches - hope it's not too bad....

Looks like Wokingham did the sensible thing cancelling today's half, but they would have been OK....

Back later!

H

• What: A pitiful half strength track session.
    Why: I'm having difficulty breathing.
    Lyrics: Nope, I better start my early morning or occasional late night posting again.
    Last hard: Trying not to sulk.
    Last rest: probably a mistake but no real rest because I feel I haven't DONE enough to warrant it.
    But rest is probably what a heavy cold is crying out for. BUT...

BUT...

Anyrateup

Gobi Really sorry to hear that you actually have an injury. As others have said it has to be the fall in the tunnel surely?

NZChristine Ooh Missis you certainly deserve a mention for that hot and hilly 10k. Your protestations aside - you are one speedy lady still! And a classy one. You are just great. Only sorry I'm late with the congrats!

Imski Excellent pic sir!

clink Aargh! Hope you feel ok now and the ankle is not too painful. Gawd, I can just imagine you curling up in fear at getting trampled. Thank goodness you are a featherweight. Double thoughts with you for yesterday anyway littl'un.  xx  Oh and Mr.S got the Candi Statton, I didn't.

Me and the lad had both considered doing the SCVAC Indoors at Lea Valley today. Phew, thank goodness we missed the entry date as neither of us are remotely fit. Can hardly breathe still although we did train - after a fashion - this morning. Two of our group are up there - an older chap - just turned 60, who sort of trains with us but is a bit of a law to himself, plus S., whom I have often mentioned, who will be competing in the V35 800m We have heard the competition is masters land top notch - so await results eagerly.

I only did 3 very relaxed 150s this morning, then a 100 and a 60. Rest of the group did 300, 250, 200, 150, 100. One bloke is flying - the rest of us are labouring under a variety of colds, coughs, injuries and niggles. Everyone now heartily sick of winter, winter training, cold feet, extra clothes, lack of speed.... moan, moan, moan.

I feel that I haven't had a decent sustained stretch of sprint specific training for ages. I'm working on lots of different aspects and can only hope that eventually I will be fully fit, the weather will be more clement, my feet will defrost and everything will come together.

I had such high hopes back in October...

• Hi Guys,

What: 15 miles with the running club. Legs felt knackered from the day before but improved as the run went on. It turned into an interval session between drink stops!!!!!!!!!. 1 hour 40 minutes for the run made the run out of my comfort zone. 

• SSING

thats a bit nippy isn't it - well done it certainly would have been out of my comfort zone too.

NZC - sorry to hear of your back hopefully it won't be too long lasting
  • Evening all 

NZC, sounds as though your fall could have been far worse.  I hope the back loosens up soon

What: 20ml long run
    Why: its Sunday
    Started slowly, but has a good patch in the middle, then went through a bad patch and really struggled towards the end.  But then its the last day of my Block 1 (of 3 three weeks blocks followed by an easy week) of high marathon miles - I've averaged 80mpw for the last 3 weeks, and now looking forward to a much lower week with a XC race at the end of it, where I hoped I'll see some benefits

• Evening peeps.

Rest day today.

Its been snowing up here  (West of Scotland) since 2pm and its now quite thick !

Hopefully a good run tomorow !

Read back time.

Night peeps.

• Hello everyone image

Lyrics- no idea

Today - 12 miles.

I've upped my pace a bit, getting closer to 8min/miles, the past two outings- I think I might regret it. But after 3 weeks of training my legs and lungs do feel a good bit stronger..............

On wednesday I've got to go to London for a meeting, (leaving at 5am) so might swap the rest day from friday.

I've also just posted on the FLM forum, as I've been offered a place, but unsure if its my thing (I'll get all panicky and anxious in big crowds, - too used to running around here- dunno- anyone recommend FLM?)

sorry for all your injuries people, sounds grim. 

• Evening folks.

Welcome back to nrg-b!

Raced in the Renfrewshire Road Race Championships (5 miles) this afternoon in Greenock. Not ideal preparation really...was hammered on Friday night, spent all day yesterday feeling rough, and was still feeling rotten this morning. Belly was churning during my warm up, start was delayed as the wind rose and the chill really bit hard.

Off we went, with a couple of laps of the park we started in. Really considered calling it a day as my stomach was really playing up. Decided to get on with it and settled into a group of guys and let them take on the work between them for the next mile or so. A clubmate came past at a rate of knots after about 2 miles and I tried to slot in behind him, but it wasn't happening. The group started to split up with most of them going backwards thankfully! From about 3 miles I settled in behind a young guy I've raced fairly closely with over the last while. Worked hard to stay with him for about a mile, until I sensed he was beginning to struggle as we turned back into the park. Had to complete another lap inside the park, and as I pulled away from him, I started catching another bloke out in front. My stomach was in knots by now and I really was fighting nausea. Just never quite made it up to the guy in front, but was pleased enough in the circumstances to cross the line in 27.21 for 13th place (I think). Was hugely surprised to be called up for the medal for 1st Vet (didn't even know they were using a V35 category!). Not my fastest 5 miler, but pleased enough with how it went. And Mrs S ran a great PB of 36.39! So a good day. As I was cooling down the snow started (as Birkmyre mentioned) and it hasn't stopped since! BTW, Neil Renault from Southern parts won the race in just over 24mins, at a canter!

So, now it's back to some solid mileage for the next few days after easing back for a couple before today's race.

Have a great evening.
  • evening

should have posted a while ago, but got sidetracked into searching for Flickr photos of me from Helsby and the Northern XC - found a few, with more to come from Helsby apparently...

...anyway....as an amateur in an amateur sport, I can't really describe my preparation for today's race as amateurish. Club cricketers have a word (used as an adjective) for it though - VILLAGE.

After all, I knew my XC shoes still had their 15m spikes in from the swamps of Sherdley Park. I also knew that the going at Clarke's Gardens would be firmer anyway, this likely to be enhanced further by any overnight frost- and there was one - surprise surprise.

So rolling up 25 mins before the start with what were very likely to be the wrong spikes in was not a smart move. Tried a few hundred metres warm-up in them - which told me what I already knew.
     The planned ~2 mile warmup went out of the window as I frantically unscrewed all the long spikes and then - far more fiddly - tried to get shorter ones screwed in. Fingers which were by now starting to feel q numb in the cold proved pretty useless at starting off the screwing in process also.
    Suffice to say that I had my shoes back on and laced up properly with 3 minutes to go before the start. As preparation goes, that's village.

So, 3 laps, about 10K in length overall, and unsurprisingly, I spent well over half the first lap struggling to acclimatise. But once again, the going, frost-hardened in parts, quite suited me. There were heavier stretches, but for once I wasn't wallowing through these. By the time we'd reached the foot of the descent at the start of lap 2 I was finally properly 'into' the race, and tbh, feeling q strong. Was never overtaken after that point.

Did manage to turn my ankle over at the far end of the course on that lap, fortunately not seriously. Just kept picking up places every so often; this continued into lap 3.
    Did work significantly harder on the long drag up and over the final 500m or so, but, that aside, I don't think I could have taken it much faster. However, I did feel strong & could have continued at that same pace for a lot longer. 51st in the end in 41:23.
    Would have liked to see my lap splits, to get an idea of how much damage the lack of warmup did - unfortunately, the HRM apparently failed to respond when I pressed the Start button at the outset of the race. I'm sure I'd have been under 41 mins though & well into the top 50.
    Sun had shone all through the race and it had actually begun to feel like a pleasant winter's morning. We were lucky - by the time I got home, wet snow was falling once more.

Q pleased at the way I ran for 2/3rds of the race. Need to find some speed from somewhere in the next 2 weeks though - next race is a Borders League road race on what is a very fast 5.5 mile course.

• Well done on first junior coffin dodger Scobos - and a rather respectable time. Especially as your preparation for your race was almost as village as mine image

Congrats to Mrs S as well on that PB.

Reading back thru the thread, looks like the bench is filling up - and the bugs still haven't gone away either. May you all rest & recover well. The way back of throat and nose feels. I've got another potential cold threatening me.....off for another dose of Manuka 15+ before it gets a grip......

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Well done Mr and Mrs S great racing from you both
    Well done in hard XC MikeS

What - 18m Easyish
    Why - LSR
    Last Hard - weds
    Last Rest - Tues

Take care

• NRG-b: Welcome back

Clink: I've obviously missed something quite serious here. One leg good?

Colds and lurgies? 'tis the season. I think it's eassier to make a list of who's NOT got one at the moment.

is that it?

Birkmyre - Scotland - snow - "quite thick". I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a little understated description going on here. Are they ploughing? Or can they get the ploughs out?

Scobos: 27:21 for 5 miles when feeling rough? Perhaps I should have gone out on Saturday after all.

Mike S: I like the description of your preparation as being "village". I think it slots in with what others have described, being a Cat C preparation for a Cat C race.

Me? Rough yesterday, in the same way that others have reported. Today I did manage 10 miles at a steady pace. Well it was sleety, chilly, damp underfoot, most ice has now gone from the paths. Good to be out, actually.

Lyrics? no way.

• Good evening everyone.

Will read back and catch up tomorrow...

What: 15 miles LSD
    Why: Schedule
    Last hard: XC yesterday
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics:Nope

SD