Saab Salomon Turbo X, Mugdock

Who is up for this ?

wanted to do it last year but could'nt ,so up for it this year,is it any good ?

Comments

• Done it last year, weather was nasty but still had a great time, hope to do it this year again.
  • Very tempted to do this, as I've never done a trail race before.  Is it a good one to do for a first trail race? I've done plenty of road 10k's and halfs.
  • It was my first trail race.  Was a bit  scared as I didn't know what to expect, and didn't know how bad the hills would be.  Hills were big and slippy which adds to the fun of it all.  I was having too much fun to feel the pain.  Loads of mud (don't think the weather helped and the fact I was near the back ) so old gear is a must.  I had old road trainers on, will probably get trail shoes for next time as runners who had these on didn't fall as much.
  • Nice one thanks! Sounds like fun, image Think I'm going to invest in a pair of trail shoes too, got plenty of parks near by with trails to train on, so looks like this is a goer!
  • I did this last year and it was great. The weather was shocking but it added to the 'fun' in a way. They sent us through a ruddy great bog too so for heaven's sake don't wear sparkling new trainers.

It was my first trail race and was hard enough to be satisfying but not so hard that I wanted to die. I'd definitely recommend it and will try to get back to do it again this year if I can.

Do some hill training before if you can - I found I overtook more folks on the hills than on the flat which must be due to my weekly hill runs.  I knew all that suffering had to be good for something!image

• Whats the shower facilities like image

nice and warm

• it was my first event, weather shocking but it added to whole experience,up to your thighs in mud in couple places and plenty people willing to give you a shove up the hills when you start sliding back down them cause the grass you were holding onto came loose!  we wore old trainers and binned them after, no showers so take baby wipes and an old towel. we will def be doing it again this year, we laughed/smiled the whole way round!! so much fun!!!!
  • i have entered and it is my first time in this event.  i take it i should invest in trail shoes? 

• we wore our oldest trainers and when the event over threw them away at the end of the race, obviously trail shoes a good investment but we found our old trainers adaquate for us as we were not out to break any records and i dont think by not having them slowed us down that much.

• NOOOOOOO,   it's a Turbo X.  You could be upto your knees or waists in muddy water in some parts.  Only wear old kit.  Don't wear new trainers for a Turbo X image
  • AM GOING TO DO THIS EVENT THIS YEAR. hAVE DONE THE YTHAN CHALLENGE LAST 3 YEARS WHICH IS AN APPROXIMATE 10K AND SEEMS TO BE ON THE SAME LINES AS THIS - HOPE IT IS AS MUCH FUN TOO.  HAVE PROBS ON THE SLIPPY DOWNHILL THO SO MAY INVEST IN TRAIL SHOES.

• have entered this event - its my first trail race.  any advice for a first timer?  image
  • I'm considering entering it, but I'm unsure about getting there - I live in central Glasgow. I don't have a car, so it'd be public transport; I can get the train to Milngavie, but does anyone know if there are any buses from Milngavie to Mugdock, or nearby? I don't really fancy walking for 2-3 miles before and after the race (especially after!).
  • As a 2 hour Half Marathon and a 54 minute 10K man, what time do you guys think I should be aiming for here.  I have never entered into a Trail race before, therefore have not got a clue as to what to expect conditions wise or timing wise. It's only 6 days after the Great Scottish Run, so I'm hoping that the training for that will stand me in good stead. I realise that I will have to put in a lot more hill training and the like.

Thoughts???

• If they do the same course or a similar level as last year it'll probably take you about as long as it does to do a 1/2. There are no mile markers and the distance is given as approximate so you have no idea how well/ badly you're doing. This is part of the 'fun'. I reached the water station after an hour (which was supposed to be halfway) and thought oh-uh! But if I remember right I finished in 1:40-something. I can usually slam out a half in about that.

You can't run up some bits because they're so steep; some you can't run down. Plus there are all the muddy bits churned up by the faster runners where staying upright is no mean feat.

Then there's the bog. Up to yer sheuch in peaty water. Remember to smile for the camera. And for heaven's sake wear old trainers.

I highly, highly recommend it. Marshalls were great, good camaraderie among us poor sods at the back and the photos are classic. Technical tee too and 1000 mile socks.

And you get to feel hard as nails when you finish. Take a complete change of clothes (pants too) or the missus won't let you in the car...image

• Cheers Azacaya. That's the sorta info I was after.

Thanks.

• I am so jealous i so want to do a turbo but do not want to risk doing this as doing GNr on the 20thimage

Has anybody did any other turbo's??

• I've done Hell Runner and I'm doing this Turbo in September as well as the GNR
  • I'm doing this for sure. 1st non road race but I grew up near Mugdock and spent countless hours playing footy there with my dad and grandpa, so kind of feel it would be rude not take part. know it well, it's a beautiful park. the missus and I went for a wee stroll there a couple of sundays ago and it's still a wonderful area.

from what I gather it's well organised and looks great fun. cheers to all contributors for your advice, some of it has been really helpful. will defo be wearing the old sneaks!

• just entered. first trail race.  can't wait, but might invest in some trail shoes!! 
  • Has anyone else had the e-mail to say that your payment was not processed, and could you please re-submit it?? I was worried that it was one of theses scam e-mails.

• I have had one for the Helensburgh Half i did about a month ago, just waiting to get one for this one!
  • I've done this twice now, and I love it!!  Definetely my running highlight of the year, and much more fun than the Glasgow Half.

Hope some of the following advice is useful to the previous posts.

I was 1.38 for the half last year, and from memory I was 1.30 for this run. I know we all try to be as quick as possible, but some of it is single-file, so you can only go as fast as the person in front.  My advice is to smile, and just enjoy it.  It reminds me of the fun I had as a kid jumping in puddles, but without getting a row from my mum. There are no mile markers, and only one water station, but sometimes a marshall will give you an idea of how far there is to go.

I wore old trainers, cos I don't own trail shoes, and it was slippy. The course was very wet last year, so I can't say for sure how much trail shoes would help.

There are no shower facilities, so bring a change of clothes and some towels or something for sitting in the car on the way home. You will get very muddy!!

My biggest memory from last year was the buzz when we had finished and were waiting for our goody-bag. Everybody was bursting with adrenaline. Much more so than after the Glasgow Half. The goody-bag was quite impressive too.

I'm not knocking the Glasgow Half, because I enjoy that as well, I just find this much more fun. Running along Paisley Road West just isn't the same after doing this!

Good luck everyone, and hope you enjoy.

• just entered this and really looking foward to it now. just checked the weather and for the next 4 days, yes, unusual for the west of scotland but heavy rain. should make for a pretty muddy run.

although, as ths is my first trail race, I'd rather it was idiculously muddy and I can pretend I'm 7 again. reckon it will be a treat of a day. gonna have to leave some room for the Pedal for Scotland bike ride on the sunday though. I envisage being completely knackered on Sunday evening. 2 pints and fall asleep at the bar no doubt.

roll on next weekend!

• Has anyone got anything through the post for this one? or are you meant to get anything through?

Cheers

• My number arrived this morning, but we have to collect our timing chips on the day.

Really looking forward to this, and hoping for plenty of mud!

• Hmmm thats fine, I still havent received received my number yet for this one either!! Good to know the numbers are just filtering through the post now! I did it last year and it was heckuvva muddy and wet but somehow added to the whole experience! Cant wait to get thigh deep in mud again - this is the one race where I never even look at my watch - its not really about a time but just a laugh, a challenge and a great experience!
    And Ewan!! Im also doing both the Turbo X and Pedal for Scotland - its gonna be some weekend!! After the Great Scottish Run half tomorrow and next weekend my legs will have earned a rest I think!! See ya there!!!
  • jamie carmicheal....Im coming up from near Kilmarnock, im not sure how I will get to Mugdock, but if you would like a lift from anywhere, that's fine as long as you promise not to be an axe murderer.....
  • god I'd love to do this race, but I'm a bridesmaid up north that day. Must mind it on for next year. I do a lot of mountian biking in mugdock and so would be like an excited kid at christmas to get to do a race there! Oh the carrot cake in the cafe afterwards...

Hope you all enjoy it!

xc

• I'm still waiting for my number too. Where in Mugdock does the race start from?