Looking for a job

Comments

• What I thought was particularly sad was that SR begrudges Florian to start a life with his girlfriend?  I had interpreted Florian's post that way anyway... I thought he had come over to be with his (British?) girlfriend and therefore in many ways needs to start a new life here.  I wish them both good luck cos I've done that and know it isn't easy.

Anyhoo....  5.5 million Brits live abroad and as someone suggested earlier in the thread, those countries are not suggesting kicking them all out because of a global recession to add to our list of unemployed...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/brits_abroad/html/default.stm

• Just read your language point.  I speak English, French, German, Spanish, a bit of Portuguese and Italian, and I made the effort to learn them myself so I don't have to shout loudly in their countries.  There are evening classes, and such a thing as self motiviation if you want to work abroad, but then I wouldn't bother, cos none of the above language speaking countries would let you in, or they would actually, for a damn good laugh!image
  • Another aspect of this debate is the fact that we have several million lazy feckers living off the backs of the the employed in this country. At least working immigrants pay taxes!!!!   
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It's not hard to get work in other European countries - I did it with ease a few years ago (even though I spoke only a very few words of the language) because I was willing to do a job that the 'locals' don't want to do.

Should I have stayed at home instead, so that no Johnny Foreigner could snaffle my old job?

• Not supporting SR's rant  one iota... but you have to question the government's past priorities re training and apprenticeships if we needed to import foreign workers to fill skilled posts to meet a demand in the labour market they must have known was coming... particularly construction and maintenance.

Or is it that it has become cheaper to import labour than train the locals?

As one of those who benefited in the 1980s from taking my skills abroad to Germany and Holland I’m very grateful for the fluid nature of the international labour market… but don’t we have a long term responsibility to train our own nationals rather than looking for quick fixes and potentially damaging other national economies by adding to skills shortages with our demand?

BTW… I have no problem whatsoever with anyone working anywhere they feel like… but for the sake of a cohesive society there needs to be much more investment in training.
  • I agree with what you say about the government's workforce development plans...?  I'm always puzzled about this push to get everyone into University when there aren't the graduate vacancies to support them.  What is that about?  We've diluted the quality of degrees in the process and at the same time are held to ransom by plumbers and electricians etc who have us by the short and curlies and can charge and arm and a leg because there is such little fresh blood coming through. image
  • Don't get me started on the 'dumbing down' of degreesimage

You'll have to haul me off my soap-box with a JCB....

• All good points, well made, and the substance behind meaningful debate.  I totally agree with the government's management of training schemes.  There doesn't appear to have been a whole lot of long-term thinking there.  I think there's a lot of truth in the theory that the skilled labour force is travelling West (the direction of USA, not very good with the ol' compass) image.  According to recent reports (although maybe more inaccurate in current economic difficulties), Poland now has a shortage in skilled labour force, so workers from East of there, Lithuania, Ukraine etc are now filling in that gap, and so it travels on...

On a more thread related note, how's the job hunting, Florian?

• Corinthian wrote (see)

You'll have to haul me off my soap-box with a JCB....

teehee... image
  • I haven't found a job so far.

Hope to find one soon. image

Seems that my message in this forum caused to a interesting discussion image

Cheers,

FLO

• PhilPub wrote (see)

And just how 'local' do you have to be to qualify for these 'local' jobs?  Presumably some 'foreigner' from Yorkshire looking for work in London would be getting the same treatment?  I mean, it's hardly commutable, is it!  Coming down from Oop North, stealing all our jobs...

in that vein an item from our local Welsh paper last week. 

• I hope you do find a job Florian, good luck.
  • Oh and I admire your commitment to finding something. There is a lot of work shy chavs in this country that could take a leaf out of your book. More people like you is just what this country needs.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Silent Roar wrote (see)

You think you have the right to waltz in here and deprive them of a job - selfish. But why should you care? Florian comes first.  

If Florian gets a job he'll do it because, presumably, he's the best person for the job. That's the thing that employers should be doing right now - getting the right people to do the work. Those who are qualified, willing and able to do it.
  • Good luck with the job hunting Florian and hope you have a great time in London.

SL's rambles remind of the xenophobic "Deutschland fur die Deutschen" nonsense and we all know where that got us...  Such a shame to think that 70 years later some people are still such twats!

• Silent Roar, take a leaf out of your screen name - SILENT, and shut up.  You've made your point.  Now Foxtrot Oscar and crawl back under your stone.

Loads of people have lost their jobs.  Indeed I was one of them, but I've got a new one since, and the sad truth of the matter is that most people lost their jobs, not through their lack of skills, but through the incompentence of management.  Our government fits that too - don't suppose you voted labour, did you, SR?!  Our current economic situation has, in my opinion, nothing to do with the number of other nationalities working, or trying to work here.  Of course, there are many people taking advantage of our system, including Brits, so again, that lies at the feet of the govt.

Perhaps SR could channel some of this negative energy in doing something to enhance our struggling society - youth work, helping the homeless - there are endless possibilities.  It will make you feel so much better, I can assure you.

• Silent Roar wrote (see)

I hope you don't, Florian.

Hopefully employers will have the good sense to give the job to a British person in the current economic climate. Tens of thousands of people have lost their jobs here in retail since Christmas. People with families and kids and responsibilities, who can't just jump on a plane when it suits them. You think you have the right to waltz in here and deprive them of a job - selfish. But why should you care? Florian comes first.  

I work for a large distribution firm and we employ a lot of foreign workers, we do this because

1. The local people don't apply for the jobs (They seem to prefer claiming the dole)
    2. The Foreign workers, work a lot harder than the locals we do employ.
    3. They don't steal the goods we ship (We are constantly firing local people caught stealing from the firm)
    4. They have less time of sick

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    JuanaH "helping the homeless " thanks!!!!! Guess where I work......
  • Womble.  Good for you, you're a credit.  I was being genuine and not sarcastic I promise you.  I sometimes wonder why I do what I do (nothing bad, just caught up in rat race type stuff), when there is much more worthwhile stuff to be doing.  I'm now going to look at your link and see about volunteering myself.......  Thank you image
  • Just stumbled onto this thread by randomness and just wanted to put my view worth into the debate. As a Englishman who's worked in Germany in the past I'm more than a little annoyed that someone who's quite innocently  asking for a job in a city that is now a international outpost for all four corner's of the globe getting these kind of comments. Especially as this is the only reason Britain is still one of the largest economy's in the world. If you don't believe me actually bother to read some of the stories about the credit crunch and why it's a problem.
    This country has over 3.5 million non uk worker's in it and without them there would be no NHS (because many Brits are to lazy to train), and the taxes of all of us would be higher because most of the migrant worker's leave within 3 years and so pay taxes for things they will never use like pensions and the NHS. While Roar you are entitled to your views I wish you would back then up with intelligence and not just rhetoric and things you've heard down the pub. And in case you haven't noticed 30,000 British people leave every year and start new life's elsewhere in the globe and most of them don't come back.

p.s. Just in case some fool pipes up with it. This issue shouldn't be clouded by the recent dispute by the dock yard worker's who are upset that a Italian company won a tender and didn't use local worker's. That a problem with EU law and the minimum wage. I hope it get's sorted to but I was fed up to see the BMP bringing up there usual rubbish the other week while the grown up were trying to sort it out.

I'm normally very proud to be English and British untill I remember there are fools like you out there Roar. Use your head or stick it in a oven.

• lol, as someone who's "local" father (well actually, perhaps genetically "half local") went off to the far east to work for nearly 30 years and then who's parents (non-local mother) came back here (so I guess that's a 1-1 draw on the local vs non-local work thing?), I'm genetically 1/4 "local" but possessed of a "local" passport, so presumably Non-Silent Ranting wouldn't mind if I worked part-time?

Oh hang on, I'm self employed, so I guess I should employ a "local" to be me for the rest of the time imageimage

Any volunteers? The pay is sh*te!

• Excellent... but which quarter is local?  We can find work for your left leg... but that's it
  • Lol, it's probably my right leg - that's the one that's always injured / doesn't work! image
  • Ahhh.. in that case... sorry no vacancies at the moment... image
  • Hmph. Bet it's cos Florian's foreign legs are more fully functional than mine? lol *sulk*

• Well... can your right leg type 100wdspm?   We might have something in our finance dept.  If not ... try Boots... I hear they're always looking for legs (left and right)..

Actually... this is getting very silly DTBimage

Good luck with your search Florian... let us all know if you find anything