The 1st Eden Project Marathon

14567810»

Comments

• Definitely the toughest one I've ever tackled in 21 years of doing marathons. How did the organisers manage to get most of the hills go upwards only? The only memorable downward one was at the finish, making us all eternally grateful right at the end. I did decide afterwards that I wouldn't be doing the race again in the future. Today though, I'm not so sure. See how I feel tomorrow. The idea's starting to grow on me.

Paul

Epsom Oddballs RC

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

A great event, I really enjoyed it. I was aiming for 5 hours or so, being undertrained for the distance and wary of the hills so I ran conservatively to push it on the levels (such as they were!) and the downhills and took it very easy on the uphills. Surprised to finish comfortably in a whisker under 4:30 without hitting the wall so could have worked harder I suppose.

An excellent medal, plus a beer and a pasty at the finish - what more could an old dog ask for?

I found the section from about mile 17 to 23 really tough going, constant climbs and a tarmac surface. As DWB said, I loved the clay trails. We got to see pretty much every kind of scenery Cornwall has to offer, from green valleys, bleak moorland and lunar china clay pits to farmyards and country lanes. Pity about the weather but hey, it is Cornwall. That long downhill finish really punished the quads. Definitely a "challenging" course.

• Great event, thanks to all concerned. I expected hills but not so many, the toughest half I have ever run.

Nice pasta party once we found it, some signs would have been useful! 

Just a couple of points about the race, marshalling in last couple of miles could have been a bit better and our bags should not have been left out in the rain otherwise, no complaints about the event.

Would definitely recommend it for next year. Very good value for the cost of entry.

Well done everyone....

• DavidWBush:What can I say OUTSTANDING SPECIAL 1ST ATTEMPT and it worked like a dream despite  lot of people went to the Loo at 10.30am still? Oh Well you got to go somewhere?? Anyway its smooth routes with more big hills tired on my legs. But we keep going speciale the Mountain inwhich 1980's BBC filmed DR WHO when Jon Pertwee invade the swap monsters and the Cyberman.Do you remember? You can just picture it ca you David? Anyway its a hard going killer challenge with wind,Rain and low mist force you back when gravity push you back and my legs push me foward with rocks and stone's. But I dunn it with Multi Terrain One I Think.T Shirt and Medal was worth the wait? I beleive Eden on again next Year David?

Sadly I miss you David. But I meet the 100 Club members which one pull out in the middle when we did the 20 mark?

I did 4H.59 My 16th Marathon now

How you did?

Are you on Facebook??image

• Hi Speedy,

I agree fantastic race and great scenery, specially in the first half. I managed a marathon pb at 4:06 so very pleased indeed. I met one of the 100 club at the pasta party, he was also at Clarendon last week. I also met with, and saw a couple of people from the Trionium Picnic and from the Neolithic. Definately up for next year 10.10.10 ! Were you at the pasta party ? I was with my partner and a couple were sat next to us with an accent .... were are you from ?

• David

I will certainly coming next Year.Sadly I bit busy see what I expect what the run like.Are You on Facebook yet? The result are out o Eden website now.WELL DONE DAVID.I not sure but someone hooting at me while I do the finale 4 miles near Eden.I not sure its you or someone seen me before..CRUMPS?

I have the somewhat dubious honour of finishing in 69th position.

At what point did the friendly marshalls become devils I ask. "welcome to the valley of Hell" & "left for the fiedish hill" image Still I looked like a zombie myself by the time I finished and I certainly felt like it. Wet, muddy and tired. 3:54.

Great race, I enjoyed it. great scenery, great marshalls.

Hoping this link works.

marathon start

• Good fun. Hills were slightly disappointing. Kept my pace down to conserve my energy, waiting for the big hills but they never came. Maybe the Trelissick 10K Himalayathon had coloured my perception.image
  • Finally back from Cornwall - found a few days of beer and sun sitting by the sea to be the ideal post race recovery !

A great run despite the weather - as DWB said fair play to the marshalls stuck up and around the hill about mile 6 in that wind and rain, doubt I would have managed to be even vaguely cheerful in their place. Some interesting & bizarre landscapes we passed over summed up neatly by one guy I was running with who said "we might as well be on the bloody moon". The second half came as a bit of a surprise to me as having looked at the course profile I had decided that that was the easier half, I lost the will to live somewhere after mile 17 !

I think all marathons should end with a pasty and a pint of beer - better than all that energy & recovery drink rubbish image

PB for me, 4:32:45 so took over 30 mins off my Neolithic time so I can't have been trying hard enough for that one image

Definitely be back next year as my wife is already planning her weekend away !

Does anyone have the GPS track of the course and can load it  up to somewhere like mapmyrun ? My lovely new Garmin 405 decided that rain was not part of it's design brief and totally locked up after an hour - it nearly became part of the scenery but I decided it was unlikely to be bio-degradable image

• I agree with you cynicuk about the profile regarding the 2nd half. I could have swarn it was meant to be less hilly than the first. Can only assume that the 1st half seemed less hilly as the climbs seemed to be short & sharp with fairly flat bits inbetween. Can only remember significant uphills at 4-6 & just before halfway. GPS details would be much appreciated indeed
  • EH IrishBlue - were you not running the same marathon as the rest of us?

Total climb of 1320m = 50m/mile avarage. Steepest 175m over 2 miles.

Trelissick 10K Himalayathon (sic) total climb 134m = 21m/mile with steepest being 30m over half mile. Slight difference methinks.

I have a GPS map.

Can upload to MMR, but it's here also
    http://www.bimactive.com/ba/journal/index.php?blogId=13689&bimToken=MrsRagbrutty&skin=bim

• Thanks for that bikermouse, I got totally disorientated during the run so interesting to see !

If you have the time to stick it on MMR then that would be great so I can add it to my runs on there.

• Cheers for the praise us marshalls have received. My first station was at the bottom of the hill down from the drinks station at 6 miles. I had a huge grin on my face all morning watching you lot decend that slope with that 'what the hell have we let ourselves in for expression' on most of your faces.

Fair play to all who took part, hope to see you next year, may even be tempted to run it myself if I can persuade Doug and Paul to take some of the hills out.

• Thanks bikermouse, exactly what I was after.

So that is why the marshalls were all so happy then AndyTrig ? - you were all pleased not to be out and running ! image

• bikermouse thanks for links, can you do stats for the half or will I be able to pull it from the links (can't access either from work).  I remember the full looking far hillier than the half from the route profile, but the half felt hily enough to me.

AndyTrig you must have seen all of then, I was the tired one from the half  that went past you image.  I think you should do it just so you know how nice the downhills are.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to risk the full marathon next year, I'll definitely be back for the half or full next year.

• From what I can make out the elevation split is about 50/50, approx 660m total ascent in each half.

The bigest hill was in the first half however there were more hills in the second half. The steepest being at around the 15 (2) - 19 (6) miles - 160m over 4 miles = 40m/mile but it was a very undulating climb so it probably felt worse.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Bikermouse, you weren't kidding about the medal - it's a real corker!
  • Bikermouse, have been training on long, steep Cornish hills since Trelissick. Maybe my fitness has finally improved a bit...image
  • Paul Eastabrook wrote (see)

Definitely the toughest one I've ever tackled in 21 years of doing marathons. How did the organisers manage to get most of the hills go upwards only? The only memorable downward one was at the finish, making us all eternally grateful right at the end. I did decide afterwards that I wouldn't be doing the race again in the future. Today though, I'm not so sure. See how I feel tomorrow. The idea's starting to grow on me.

Paul

Epsom Oddballs RC

H Paul!
    Enjoyed your company on those last few miles and so pleased that we made it under 5 hours, must of been the jaffa cakes. Tough event but I loved it, will be back next year image 

• Strange thing is I have'nt got any photo of me running?
  • Speady Brear,

If you go on to our clubs website: http://www.staustellrunningclub.co.uk/index.htm there is a link to shed loads of photos from Eden on the front page, it may take some time to find yourself but you should be there.

Cynicuk and Wrinkly, the majority of the marshalls know exactly how hard the course is and have run around the area regularly (just got back from doing part of it now). We would all have loved to run it (or maybe not) but made the supreme sacrafice so that you lot could enjoy your  day..... image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    And we appreciate that, Andy. The conditions were okay for running in (at least it wasn't freezing cold) but I did feel for some of the marshals stood out in that all day, especially up on the moors. Huge thanks from me to St Austell Runners!
  • here here ! the marshalls on the top of the hill in the wind and rain were gods !

just got back from abingdon marathon and smashed 4 hours for the first time with a 3:42 ... cant stop smiling ! Must have been all those hills in Cornwall that helped !

• Davidimageorry I miss you at Eden.Oh Well Next Year ? Wait for it.....................10/10/10 Strange or not.Anyway I did our local Spire and Steeples-4.52 that 55minutes of from last Year.Next Sunday:Great South Run and Oh! I forget that was my 18th Marathon today? Well Done to you

Are You on Facebookimage

• NO PHOTO OF ME.How sad??
  • Hello everyone again,

I suppose we will need a new thread in time as it is now the 2nd Eden Project Marathon but entries for 10/10/10 are now open via the main Eden Project website and https://www.edenbookings.com/marathon/

I am booked up for it again - who else fancies it ?