The 1st Eden Project Marathon

Comments

• Cathy. I am in the habit of using gels at distance runs so only found out how much they help by forgetting them one weekend. Yes they can get a bit sickly but I tend not to follow the recommendations on the packets as it seems too much. FLM consisted of gels at 7,13,17,21 & 24 miles which I found beneficial and not sickly at all as long as you keep the water topped up - Little & often works for me. Jelly babies sound good, you may want to try the Jelly Beans which you can get from some sports shops.
  • OOPS !! You said Jelly Beans anyway so I assume you know the ones I mean
  • Hi Cathy,

I have only tired the gels a couple of times and have to say, hated them. I know it is purely a taste preference but I found that the just gummed your mouth up making you more thirsty ?? One on occasion I even thought about drinking from the kennet canal to get to goo / taste out of my mouth !Perhaps it was the particular ones I was using but suffice to say, it put me off ! Jelly beans and jelly babies are great, full of sugar and a good kick. On a few of the trial marathons I have done, they are given out at drink stations. Haribo sweets also tend to be popular with some runners. banana's are great and fairly easy to digest. There are also hundreds of energy bars but find that in mid distance races these are very difficult to digest as you tend to keep running, on XC distance races though, when (and if) you use a walk / run strategy, they are ok but you need to try a few brands and flavours to find ones that suit you.

• I find the SIS gels much better than the Lucozade ones and used them during the FLM taking one roughly every 45 mins.  The SIS gels are easier to swallow and not as sickly, though as in previous post it is a taste thing.  I have taken the beans with me on training runs in the past, but do prefer gels.  Whatever you do though don't try anything for the first time on race day.  I have read somewhere that on the Eden race there is water every 3 miles and SIS drinks every 6 - can anyone confirm this?
  • berlimey what have i started? Thanks everyone. Am looking into it. I think I've gone off gels just by reading about people talking about them. Good advice about being sure to try everything out first. Thanks everyone! =)
  • Hi Cathy,

Yes I agree with all the previous comments but would add that gels are worth a try in training especially SIS Go gels much more palatable than lucozade, definitely not as sickly - more liquidy infact, they slip down nicely (and stay down!) but there is a limit to how many I can handle, so I tend to favour a couple of gels in the first part of a marathon and as a jelly baby fiend - one every mile over the last six as a special treat/incentive to keep me going! Energy drinks are good to sup regularly too and yes in answer to Mr P it states on the application info that Eden will supply SIS iso drinks every 6 miles. Again though my personal preference is a balance between water and iso, on the basis that you can have too much of a good thing!

• It's all gone quiet round here ... all out racking up that mileage I presume ...
  • Really bad time to start a new job, what?

Just too tired to go for my run today, so am going tomorrow morning early which is silly as I have a race on Sunday and should be resting...

Training Peace, brothers and sisters!

=)

• Muttley:Good Morningimage

Today the day I will do another (One Off marathon)On my own from 7.30am to noon called Spire Challenge spin off from Spire & Steeples in Lincolnshire.But backwards Sleaford to Lincoln?

Cathy:How your new job going

NOT VERY LONG NEXT MONTH THAT IT?

• So far so good! But sleep is a luxury nowadays... am shattered!

Hope you have a fun marathon today Speedy.  =)

• Yikes! Don't remind me how soon this marathon is!

I had a cold and it through a spanner in my training. I had a week in bed, no exercise whatsoever apart from walking to the bathroom. After that all I could manage was 10 miles before I keeled over, but I ran 18 then 6 miles on Tuesday so I'm back to where I was. Though no further forward. This was after a full week of exercise so I'm confident I can go the distance now. I've been running part of the BeachyHead route. It's certainly a toughie. Don't think I could run Eden one w/e and BeachyHead the next.

Anyhoo I really must try and drink more. I am so bad at this hydration business esp as I have had an upset tummy the past week. image

• You be careful, won't you? Don't overdo it BM.
  • Is anyone else doing the Bristol Half tomorrow ?
  • Is it too late to pull out - LOL?   I see the marathon route is described as "testing" and "40% road and the rest, trail".  As a Londoner I think this is going to be a test of my stamina and I can only hope I cross the finish line before everyone packs up for the day - Help!!!
  • Tell me about it! I've kind of nominally stuck in a few hills and there, but my bit of North London is well flat. And isn't there a 6 hour limit? And I've got work the next day n'all! It's all good fun, eh?
  • Cathy Bunt

Are You ready for Eden next Month?

I'v dunn a Challenge one yesterday measure 29miles within 5H.15 with 5 extra miles I not suppose to do because our sign was moved and come down.Surely people should leve the trial signs alone? You agreeimage

• Hey Cathy, I'm going to book the Monday off so I can visit the actual Project (pain permitting) and get a late afternoon train home.  Hopefully my legs won't be too painful.   What about Ally Pally?  I recall that has a rather fierce 'gradient'.  Am tempted to give it a try but I'd have to stay over at a friend's in Hackney the night before.  Heading out to Crystal Palace this morning so I'll see how that works out.
  • I thought it was about 50/50 on/off road. That being said, off road is easier than on road. It's not a trail race, ie it's firm underfoot. I say off road is easier as I find it's less impact on my muscles. I never get sore when I run off road, only when I run on road, so I'm dreading the road sections. I have done so little road training I'm going to have to run a few hilly roads in the next week or 2 and see how my legs scream at me.
  • Well I believe in my self now.I did Spire Chllenge yesterday through Lincolnshire Countryside measure-ing 29miles within 5H.15?
  • I did a 10K today and I felt like I was flying! A PB for me for sure! All that hill training and the increasingly long 3rd run of the week I reckon. That and it was certainly a bit cooler.

Very reassuring  comments, Bikermouse. Well done for your yesterday run Speedy Brear. Did you change your name? Lucky you Cafe Wanda being able to have the Monday off. I think I'm going to be very sedentry indeed that day!!

• Sounds like you guys are well ahead of me. I had to take a couple weeks off with a minor calf tear (dunno what hurt more, the tear or the physio's bills). But a gentle 12-miler this morning, about one-third of it on trail, and I feel better. Got a 10K next week and a 12-mile race the week after, at which I plan to turn up early and reel off 4-5 miles in advance to get some distance in. Whatever happens I'll be undertrained for the distance so this will definitely be just a nice day out for me, not race mode. The pasty at the finish will motivate me.
  • Hi Muttley, I don't think I've done enough training actually and the 'trail' bit of the course concerns me as 99% of my runs are on the road.  My jaunt up to Crystal Palace included a few of its gradients and my knees started complaining til I was on the flats!  I did 20 miles and was a few seconds off pace so I was pleased with myself, although my legs hurtimage

Cathy, my holiday year starts on 1 October so I'm ok to book the time off.  Whilst I've got a time I'd like to complete the run in, I'll settle for finishing as I've never done trail running before.  Should be fun then!

• Cathy

Yes my member from the club called me SPEEDYBREAR because i run first at first and Brear my surname?

• Gotcha. I am hoping for just over 4 hours. Or even just under. But I probably don't know what I'm talking about...

• Cathy

Least you got a guide line to work to over 4 Hours?

• Just booked my hotel for the weekend, really looking forward to this one. I presume most people are into their heavy training week before starting their taper ? I have the London2Brighton on Sunday so a really quiet week just two runs, a 9m and a 5m. After Sunday my plan is to have pretty much all next week off but then have three or four runs before the 4th when I have the Clarendon Marathon.
  • Yes DavidWBush, 22m run yesterday up and over the Cotswolds for me, another 22m next Sunday around Exeter then start to taper off over the coming weeks - damn this has come around fast !
  • I just dunn 20miles with in 3H.45 yesterday.I think The Eden Marathon will challenge me upto 4.30 to 4.45.
  • Last week I ran a fast 10K in the dark at night because I have just started a new job and it was the only time I could fit it in. I have to say I've really started to find the training a bit of a trial now!!! But am looking forward to the actual event. Yesterday I did a run just short of a half in under 2 hours. What sort of time will the hills and trickiness of this marathon add onto an ordinary flat race projection time I wonder???
  • Cathy

According to the Map Eden got a massive big hill and flat afterwards. Thatmean I looking for 4.45 or evn 5H.CRUMS.......Its not very long now?

How your legs?